Don't Look Like a Seal Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alex felt a little better as he hung up. The cameras being in place and operational gave him a little bit of relief. He decided to head up to Calabash to try to find Grayson and see if he wanted to attend the little reunion tonight. He took a cursory glance at the bar he found him at yesterday and was glad that he didn't spot him there.

"He could have just gone to another bar," Alex thought as he drove toward the apartment complex where Grayson lived.

He made sure to double check that he locked his car doors as he climbed the stairs to Grayson's apartment. He had noticed the looks from some of the people that were hanging around when he parked. He hoped he wouldn't have to pull his gun on anyone. After a couple of loud knocks on my door I pulled it open.

"Drinking at two and sleeping at six," Alex said as he pushed past me and into my apartment. "Maybe you were bullshitting about the strange hours you keep."

"Never took you for a den mother, Alex, and yet here you are checking in on me," I sighed as I closed the door and followed him in. "I'm fine as you can see."

"Yeah, but looks can be deceiving," He told me."This place isn't at all what I expected."

"What did you expect, Alex?" I asked him.

"Maybe a few empty pizza boxes on the tables, a lot of empty bottles scattered around the place, clothes both clean and dirty in piles all over the floor," He shared. "This place is immaculate. Like an ad they would use to sell this dump to people."

"You act like that's a bad thing," I said. "Tell me that your place doesn't look exactly like this."

"It does. Only bigger," He grinned.

"Funny," I sighed. "You were always funny, Alex."

"Yeah well, I just thought that you'd be a little looser since we're out of the Navy and all," He explained.

"I guess since I got a double dose of keeping things squared away it's a harder habit for me to kick," I shrugged.

"The orphanage and foster home thing, right? I nearly forgot about that," He nodded. "Do you still keep all your things in a bag and ready to go at a moment's notice?"

"Did you come here to make fun of me about keeping my place straight or did you want something particular, Alex?" I asked.

"Something particular," He answered with a wry grin. "The making fun of you is just a delightful bonus."

"You remember where the door is and I'm sure you're familiar with how the knob works," I told him.

"All right, I'll stop," He said as he held up his hand. "I really came by to say thanks for going and seeing Scottie. I'm sure he'd appreciate it."

"I just went in the hopes that it'd get you to leave me alone. Guess I was wrong, huh?" I told him.

"Yeah, I guess you were," He chuckled."T. J. and Ramon are in town to see him. We're getting together and thought that you'd want to come too."

"I'm not much on reunions, Alex," I stated. "Besides, shouldn't you be at the Voss' place watching over them since it's your firm that's in charge of security now?"

"Heard about that did you?" He asked and I nodded.

"You're not the only one that can find information, Alex," I pointed out.

"Ah, I forgot it was you I was dealing with," He chuckled and shook his head. "I've got people at the estate that I trust."

"Your guy that you have on Addison Voss could use a refresher course on his job," I shared.

"How so," He asked.

"I don't want to speak out of turn or anything but I can tell when something's up. Addison was there when Scott was shot wasn't she?" I asked.

"Why would you think that?" Alex asked suspiciously.

"I didn't choose to become a private investigator for the short shorts and Ferrari, Alex," I told him. "Even though she tried to clean it, there was blood on her blouse. It wasn't transfer from her consoling her friend either. She looked like she hadn't slept and had that haunted look in her eyes when you see something horrible happen right in front of you. So she was there and since she's Addison Voss, heir to the Voss Shipping Empire, means that she was the likely target."

"I'm not sure if I should regret finding you or elated that I did, you know that?" He sighed.

"I'd go with regretful," I shared. "I'm not looking to get involved in all this, Alex. I'm just saying what I know but you don't want to talk about it then that is more than okay by me."

"Seems like you already have a pretty good idea of what went down in your head already," He stated.

"Just give your guards a talking to about what they are up against," I told him.

"I'll do that," He nodded. "Now how about bringing your charming personality with me to see our old friends before they have to head back home. Who knows? It might do you some good."

I thought about it for a moment then nodded.

"All right, I'll come with you but only if I get to drive the Jag," I smiled.

Alex gave me look like I had lost my mind.

"Are you nuts?" He asked. "You think I'd let you drive my baby? She's still brand new!"

"Do you want to tally who's wrecked the most cars between the two of us?" I asked him as I started toward the door.

"The ones that exploded because of us getting shot at do not count as wreaks, Ken," He insisted.

"If you're behind the wheel when it happens, it totally counts, Alex," I tell him. "Now nod and hand over the keys please."

"Only because you said please," He stated as he reluctantly handed me the keys. "You guys are the ones that always made me drive. I shouldn't be punished for that."

"The only reason we had you drive was because we all shot better than you did," I laughed. "Don't worry so much, Alex. She's in safe hands."

"Famous last words," Alex sighed as he followed me outside.

I had gotten his car up to a hundred and ten on Carolina Bays Parkway and Alex was threatening to shoot me if I didn't slow down.

"We'd crash for sure if you did that," I pointed out to him as I used the shoulder to pass two cars at once spitting gravel in our wake.

The rear end fishtailed a bit as I pulled back into the right hand lane but she straightened out with just a small screech from the rubber on asphalt.

"I would be willing to risk it if the g-forces weren't pinning me to my seat right now, Grayson!" He shouted at me as his knuckles turned white from gripping the dashboard in front of him.

I switched lanes and passed two more cars then yanked the wheel to the right and just made the exit for Ocean Boulevard.

"If we'd have had cars like this overseas you would never have had to drive. Damn she handles like a dream," I commented as I eased back on the accelerator slowing to the speed limit.

"Did the doctors take all the lead they've pulled from your body over the years and put it all in your foot?" He asked.

"Hey, it's not every day you get to drive a Jag," I said then shrugged. "Well for most people it's not."

"The whole purpose is to let people see you in a Jaguar not go screaming past them like a silver bullet," Alex explained as I pulled to a stop at a red light.

"You get seen, Alex. I'll stretch her legs the way she likes," I stated then goosed the gas pedal.

The engine growled nicely which caused several people on the sidewalk to look over at us. Alex nodded at them with one of his patented smiles.

"His first time in a Jaguar," Alex said with a nod.

I shook my head and fought back the urge to peel out when the light changed to green. Alex looked as though he appreciated it and I instantly regretted not burning rubber just to wipe that smile off his face.

"I'll do any stretching that she needs from now on," He commented.

"Sure you will, Alex," I chuckled as I pulled into the parking lot.

"Not tonight," He answered. "After that little ride you took me on I need a few drinks. Very stiff drink."

****

T.J. and Ramon are already waiting for us at a table inside Boardwalk Bill's Bar & Grill.

"Order for me would you? I've gotta hit the head," Alex told me before he headed off for the restroom.

"I take it that you drove," T. J. laughed as I took a seat at the table.

"It's a Jag, how was I not going to drive it?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Alex lost his mind agreeing to let you anywhere near that fine ride, Ken," T.J. laughed.

"I gave him the option of leaving me at home. He's the one that got all pushy about dragging me out so that calls for some payback, T.J.," I stated. "It's great to see you again."

I noticed that Ramon was paying us very little attention as he flirted with a couple of tourists at a nearby table.

"Good to see you, brother. I thought for sure you'd disappear into a war zone somewhere and never be seen again," T. J. commented as we shook hands.

"I've had enough of those to last my next several lifetimes. I'm done with war zones, T," I told him.

"So instead of dodging bullets, you're dodging dogs, angry husbands and boyfriends now?" T. J. laughed.

"They're worse shots," I quipped. "What are you two vagrants up to now?"

T. J. reached over and smacked Ramon on his arm which got his attention.

"The man asked you a question, Ramon?" He told him.

"Sorry about that, Grayson. You know how it is," Ramon said as he winked at the ladies he was flirting with as they departed. "What you want to know, amigo?"

"I asked what you two were up to but now I want to know if you're meeting up with those ladies later," I laughed.

"Nah, they've got to get back to their boyfriends," He sighed. "You know their boyfriends ain't got nothing on me."

"They probably got at least two feet on your short ass." T.J. joked.

"I've got it where it counts," Ramon chuckled. "Just ask Grayson. He knows."

"Don't ask me anything," I said. "How's the restaurant doing? You guys are still doing that, right?"

"We are," Ramon nodded then spied some other ladies entering and his mind wandered from the conversation.

"It could be better. Could be worse. We actually broke even last month for the first time in like forever," T. J. answered.

"Some things never change," I nodded toward Ramon.

"Never," T. J. laughed.

Alex rejoined us and brought the waitress with him to take our orders. She looked barely old enough to sell the alcohol that was ordered by the other guys. I ordered a regular Coke which raised a few eyebrows at the table. She smiled and headed toward the bar to retrieve our drinks.

"You ordered a Coke but forgot the rum, Ken. Want me to call our cute waitress back over so you can tell her how forgetful you are?" T. J. commented.

"No, I'm good," I told him. "Alex here thinks I've got a drinking problem so I'm showing him that isn't true."

"I found you in a bar at like two in the afternoon, Ken," Alex shared. "How is that not a problem?"

"I keep weird hours," I shared. "Some of my charters will go out at four thirty in the morning or I'll be up late working on a case. I will admit that the thought of climbing inside a bottle has its appeal. I guess I'm just not quite ready to give it all up just yet."

"You know, I can maybe kick some work your way if you don't mind coming down here for some jobs," Alex suggested.

"I'll think about it, Alex," I said.

"I had Scottie doing some things before he got engaged to Lissa," Alex explained. "Nothing dangerous but it kept him out at odd hours and he wanted to spend more time with her especially at night."

"Take one look at her and you can see why," Ramon stated as he rejoined the conversation.

"Scott chose well for himself despite some questionable judgments in his past," T. J. commented.

"Questionable is an understatement," Alex chuckled then nodded at me. "Nothing compared to Ken but questionable for sure."

"Questionable isn't even in the same ballpark when it comes to Grayson, T. J. laughed.

"I should have got a bottle of vodka." I muttered.

"T. J. is kidding, Ken. He knows how many times you saved that sweet ass of his from getting killed," Ramon said.

"He's making me regret it at the moment Ramon," I answered jokingly.

"Aw come on Kenny, you know that all the ladies of New York appreciate you keeping me alive and kicking," T. J. smiled.

I shook my head as the waitress returned with our drinks.

"Are you the designated driver tonight, cutie?" She asked as she placed my drink in front of me.

"For this one probably," I nodded toward Alex. "I'm putting these two jokers in a cab."

She gave me a smile then jotted something down on a napkin before she placed it in front of me.

"Special discount for designated driver's," She said before she turned and walked away from the table.

"Did she just give you her number, Grayson?" T. J. asked.

I picked up the napkin and shoved into my jeans pocket with a wink at him.

"A gentleman never tells," I answered.

"I don't see any gentlemen at this table. I mean Alex is dressed up all nice but I'm convinced that he's just running some con or other," T. J. said.

"My turn now huh? I thought we were ripping on Grayson tonight?" Alex asked.

"We were until our smoking hot waitress passed him her number now we're on to you," T. J. laughed.

"Shouldn't tonight be about Scottie?" I asked in the hopes that I could derail T. J.'s line of thought.

"You were always one that kept your mind on the mission right, Ken," T. J. asked then raised his glass. "To Scottie!"

We all raised our glasses and echoed his salute then Ramon started in with the stories.

"Remember that time my weapon jammed because of the sandstorm we were in and Scott dropped those guys before they could nail me? Scottie saved my butt," Ramon reminisced.

"Your weapon jammed because you never used the condoms like we told you to," Alex sighed.

To keep sand and grit from getting into our weapons and causing jams, we discovered covering the barrel with a condom did the trick especially when we had to deal with all the stuff kicked up from the choppers.

"I used them as God intended my friend," Ramon smiled.

I shook my head and joined in with the laughter of the table.

"Man, he spun around and dropped those two guys before I could clear the jam," Ramon continued.

"Crazy bastard exposed himself to that sniper to save your butt," T. J. said.

"Crazy bastard is an apt description," I chimed in. "That time my chute failed on that training jump I knew I was dead but Scott saved my bacon too."

"We all dove after your ass ignoring our altimeters like the crazy bastards we were," T. J. chuckled. "I just knew that was gonna be the one that finally did you in, Ken. After all the shit you walked away from and a damn training exercise was gonna end you."

"I was sure that you were gonna go splat and feed some poor sharks your pitiful remains," Ramon added with a grin.

"Pitiful, huh," I glanced at Ramon. "Not the way I thought that I was going to go out for sure."

"There was no way we were going to let you buy it like that so we tried like hell to catch you but our chutes auto popped when our altimeters hit the red line. I still, for the life of me, can't figure out why Scottie's didn't," Alex stated as he took a sip of his drink.

"Someone was looking out for you that night, Ken," T. J. said.

"I thought Scott had the same malfunction and we were going to lose both of you that night," Ramon chimed in. "I couldn't look so I don't know how he caught you."

"I was making my peace with every deity I could think of for sure as I watched that black water getting closer and closer and then...Wham!" I slapped my palm on the table for emphasis. "I thought I'd hit the water at first then I realized that I was somehow still alive and not sucking in sea water. That meant my chute finally popped but I was so low and the water was still coming up fast. I yanked hard on my harness to try to cut some speed and ended up skimming just above sea level before catching a wave in the face."

"I thought there was no way either of you lived through that," Alex commented. "When Scott pulled your chute free by popping his you couldn't have been more then three hundred feet above the deck."

"If that," T. J. nodded.

"Yeah, we thought you'd both had it," Ramon added. "Lucky for you the both of you that you angled like you did or you might have splattered anyway."

"He and I had gone out skydiving like a month before that and the instructors there were practicing this thing where you yank hard left or right before touchdown and skim along the ground. Lucky for us that ate up most of our speed before we went into the drink. I still think that landing knocked a couple of inches off my height."

T. J. slapped my back and let out a hearty laugh.

"Just keep believing all the ladies that tell you size doesn't matter, Ken," He winked.

"I'm not getting into a size match with the Black Mamba. No thank you," I laughed as I raised my hands in mock surrender.

"She didn't call it that!" T. J. argued. "You guys made that shit up!"

"She most certainly did," I chuckled. "Ask Alex. He was right there when she said it."

"That's exactly what she said," Alex confirmed. "I distinctly remember it because the girl I was with got very interested in you at that point and left me hanging."

"Why don't I remember any of this?" Ramon asked.

"I think you were laid up in the hospital and we were in Greece, was it?" Alex asked.

"Yeah, it was Greece," I nodded. "That little blue and white hotel just off the beach."

"That place where you had to go two blocks down the street to get ice because their ice machine wasn't working? I remember now," Alex nodded then pointed at T. J. "You and Scott kept sending me out for ice and keeping me away from my girl."

"You kept coming back with a pail of water and no, Alex," T. J. responded.

"It was hot!" Alex argued.

"That and you kept flirting with the check in girl at the other hotel," I reminded him.

"Oh yeah," Alex smiled. "I did do that."

"This was right after your ass flipped that Humvee in Afghanistan," T. J. explained to Ramon. "What in the hell were you trying to do again?"

"Scott bet me that I couldn't get a Humvee up on two wheels without flipping it," Ramon said.

"No, he bet you that while we were in Germany and you ended up getting the damn thing stuck on its side out in that forest where we trained," I stated.

"You guys had to walk two hours back to base in the pouring rain," T. J. laughed.

"It was hailing," I complained. "I could have killed both of you idiots."

"It wasn't hailing and it wouldn't have taken us two hours if Grayson here wasn't leading us back," Ramon joked.

"I never claimed I knew where in the hell I was going. You guys just fell in line behind me like always." I said. "Anyway, the time we're talking about was after you got hit by that IED while out with those Afgan fighters."

"Fuck, we hit so many of those damn things I can't remember one from the other. The point is I missed the Greek girls," Ramon lamented.

"Well they weren't Greek girls. They were tourists same as us," Alex smiled.

"Swedish tourists," I smiled at Ramon. "You know blonde, tall with amazing bodies and only a mild grasp of the English language but an amazing grasp of massage techniques."

"Why do you guys do this to me?" Ramon sighed heavily.

"Hell, you had probably used all your condoms by then anyway," T. J. pointed out which caused all of us to laugh.

The revelry went well into the night and after getting a cab for T. J. and Ramon I drove Alex to his uptown loft. I kept it at the speed limit this time afraid that Alex would puke if I didn't.

"Are you interested in helping me out with security at the Voss'?" He asked while we were stopped at a red light.

"I could use the job but ask me again when you aren't so drunk," I told him.

"I'm not drunk, Grayson," He shared. "I paced myself and had that cute waitress of yours switch me to water halfway through the evening."

"Wasn't my not drinking tonight enough to prove to you that I have no intention of crawling inside a bottle anytime soon? I don't need you to babysit me, Alex. I'm fine," I told him.