Eloise's Journey

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Come."

Marietta entered with a small tray that held Eloise's breakfast and she put it down on the small oaken table where Eloise usually ate her morning meal.

"I didn't dream last night, did I Mari?" Eloise asked sleepily as she made her way to her food.

"I'm afraid not, love."

The Princess smiled weakly. In a way, she almost hoped she had dreamed it. It'd mean the decision would be out of her hands.

"So we're still to enact our plan, whatever it may be, today?"

"We are." Marietta said with a simple nod. "Provided you still want to, of course."

Eloise tried to give the matter one final thought but she knew there was little to debate. She'd made up her mind and knew her course of action.

"What must I do?" the Princess finally asked, confirming her intentions.

Marietta gave pause. It almost seemed as though she too had been wishing that Eloise had reconsidered. Still, the look of regret on her face was only a momentary one and, after brushing a few strands of hair from her face, Marietta turned to the Princess with the same look of purpose and determination that Eloise had seen the night before.

"Nothing, for now." Marietta's eyes were red and weary. It looked as though she too had not slept since their late night meeting. "The less you know of the details, the better."

"So simply stay put?"

"Again, for now." Marietta nodded "Simply go about your normal day. If you notice anything unusual, don't mention it or draw attention to it. Don't take visitors. Say you're feeling ill and avoid dinner. You must be back in your chambers by sunset and have a small bag prepared."

"For coin?"

"No coin, just whatever jewels you may have that are small and especially valuable."

Eloise nodded. Easy enough instructions to be sure. She did as instructed, bathing and then dressing as she would any other day. She ate her breakfast, spent time sewing and at her singing lesson, lunched and then was back in her chambers in the afternoon. All day, curious sort that she was, Eloise couldn't help but try to look for anything out of the usual that day. If only to explain some small part of Marietta's cryptic instructions to her. But there was no such sign that the Princess could detect.

(RCH: Eamon Phrubish, then People's Movement Spymaster and now Minister of Intelligence, said when interviewed that there were no less than 38 things the Princess could have noticed that were unusual on that day indicating his intricate plot if she'd had a keener eye. This has not been corroborated and Millicent Arris, his then and now deputy, dismissed that claim, surmising "He was probably just trying to impress you dear.")

And so, as instructed, Eloise had retired in the afternoon, claiming illness and told her guards that she would not be attending dinner if called upon. She strutted impatiently around her room, her heart pounding and her head racing. The idea that Marietta may be an agent in her father's employ not completely gone from her mind, nor her worries that even if she weren't Marietta's scheme might be discovered, jeopardizing her safety dreadfully. She put her worries aside to gather what jewels she could. The Princess had an impressive collection, accrued over the years and put her most valuable pieces into the bag. Various rings, a loose jewels she'd been given and the Royal Calandrian Emerald were among some of the exceedingly rare and valuable pieces she assembled.

Her worries did vanish eventually. When the night seemed it's darkest and Princess Eloise had been pacing for what seemed like hours, there was a knock on her door. Eloise approached it cautiously and was relieved to hear the voice of her dearest friend on the other side.

"Open up, Ellie, it's Mari." Came her hushed, smoky whisper. Eloise opened the door. Marietta nearly yanked the Princesses hand from her wrist as she pulled her into the corridor.

"There's no time to waste, Ellie, we must be off right away." Mari said as they hurried down a hallway. Eloise had no time to speak or question it, she just went with Marietta through the twists and turns of a servants entrance that Eloise had never been down before, one hand clasped by her friend, the other clutching her bag of valuables. The castle was large, with a great many entrances and exits, and Marietta seemed intent on finding a specific one. They carried through at great haste before arriving at a hallway that branched off both to their left and to their right. This caused Marietta to pause and try to think.

"It was left, right, straight, left, left....Oh blast you Eamon, you self-important git." Marietta cursed "I could have written this down."

"Mari, what's going on?" Eloise asked. That drew a sympathetic look from her friend who nonetheless shook her head and again grabbed her friend's hand.

"Once we're outside, Elle, I promise." She said before taking off down the hallway to the left. Eloise could feel the air getting cooler as they reached a final door. Unlike any door to the outside Eloise had ever seen in her castle, there were no guards standing outside of it, nor a heavy bolt lock sealing it shut. Marietta sighed her relief as she saw it and yanked the heavy door open. The cool air rushed over the girls as they emerged onto some sort of loading dock. Clearly, judging by the various carts and boxes, a place where merchants came to make deliveries to the King. There was a small stone staircase that led them down even further and Marietta went down it, her eyes searching about as if looking for something in particular.

"Blast, that lying oaf. He's not here." She exclaimed, frustrated. Eloise stopped, took a second to catch her breath, before finally saying something about their mad dash.

"Who isn't here, Mari? What's going on?" Eloise demanded. Marietta looked at the Princess momentarily, seeming to weigh what to say before replying.

"Alright. Well, here's the thing. A few months ago I took to town for a while. There, I met up with this lovely man. Will Thurgood." She explained, still looking around. Eloise did not recognize the name. Marietta recognized the confusion on her friend's face and explained. "The one actually writing most of those pamphlets. Advocating an end to your father's rule and power to the people."

Eloise nodded.

"Him. Yes. I hate him."

"Why? Oh Eloise don't you see he's right? It's wrong for anyone to rule simply by virtue of their birthright instead of their capacity to do so. You can see this yourself with your father's mad decisions." She said, making an eloquent case.

"That's all very well and good but in one of those pamphlets he refers to me a useless, painted up tart who clothes herself in garish silks that may as well be made of the common people's blood and tears." Eloise countered angrily. She was still fuming about that one.

(RCH: When interviewed for this history, Prime Minister Thurgood made specific request to apologize for this remark noting that attacking the Princess, still a popular figure even among those sympathetic to the Democratization of the Kingdom, was one of his greatest missteps in attempting to ferment popular support. Additionally he added "Although in my defence, nobody writes well in their 20's")

"Yes, well, he's a very passionate man. And we've become...friends since and he's softened in his stance on you thanks to me. So when I told him of your willingness to help the cause he set your escape in motion."

"My escape? Where am I going?" Eloise asked.

"Nilfenhem" Marietta said, apologetically. Eloise was practically speechless.

"Nilfenhem?! Among those barbarians and animals?" She protested. Eloise had been with her father many years ago when they'd received the young War Chief's delegation. She'd been disgusted with them, draped in coarse animal furs and carrying weapons with them. The War chief in particular. A bearded, monster of a man who spoke coarsely and showed neither her father nor her nation the proper respect.

"Best we could do, unfortunately." Marietta said apologetically "Nilfenhem is the nearest nation we can get to by land."

"Why not the docks? Spirit me by boat to one of the island kingdoms."

"By sea is where your Father would think to look first, silly. And with his Navy any nation sheltering you would be demolished." Marietta said, a statement that Eloise nodded along glumly with. "But we have contacts in Nilfenhem. And we've arranged passage via carriage for you and ensured asylum."

"But...but...." Eloise continued to try and poke holes in the plan "We'll have to go through nearly all of Ascibia! Won't they be looking for me too?"

"Yes but with their wars to the South and the West their military roads heading North are near deserted and have been opened up for trade. We've arranged someone to transport you and guide you under the guise of a Merchant and his Daughter."

"But..."

"No buts, Elle. This is the only way. While you're gone the Movement will try to assemble a meeting with the Nobles. With no heir to the throne and not wanting the Ascibians to claim the country, William believes the Nobles will agree to some form of popular rule."

Eloise nodded. That did make a certain degree of sense. The idea of living in Nilfenhem worried her terribly though. She'd heard stories about how they ate raw meat and clubbed their women before raping them as a means of procreation. She relented however. It was for the good of the Kingdom even if it was terrible for her. The princess nodded and sat on the steps, waiting for this accompaniment that Marietta had spoken of. She looked back at the castle glumly. She knew she might never see it again. Never see her Father again. The thought saddened her greatly. Her sadness was interrupted, however, by the sound of two approaching figures. Marietta looked around the corner and cursed.

"Blast. Two guards. Eamon said the bloody guards would...Blast him!" Marietta cursed in a whisper. She looked around the corner. The guards were clearly making their rounds and would be at their location shortly. Marietta thought to her self a moment, grimaced and then took Eloise's hand one last time, softly. The copper haired beauty smiling sweetly at her friend.

"You see that clearing, Elle?" Marietta pointed to a break in the wall that must have been where the Merchants came in on their carriages. Eloise nodded. "I'm going to deal with these two. As soon as I've got them going back the way they came, run there silently and swiftly. Our man will be by shortly. He'll call himself Olaf and refer to you as Sonia. Got it?"

"Got it."

"And should anyone ever ask, I do this for you and the good of our Kingdom." Mari said sadly as she embraced her friend. She took one last look into the Princesses eyes before breaking the hug. She took a step towards the passage the Guards were walking down before returning to the Princess.

"Oh to hell with it, I may not get the chance again." Marietta said as she strongly took the Princess in her arms and kissed her. Not the kind of friendly kiss that the two friends had shared dozens of but a kiss of love and lust combined. The Princess moaned into the kiss, strong and soft as it was, feeling Marietta's hands pull her body towards, her own soft form. It was Eloise's first proper kiss and she enjoyed every fleeting second. The Princess had only just began to return the kiss when Marietta broke it and continued around the corner. Eloise watched as she did. Seeing her friend in a new light. So beautiful and vivacious and sweet. Eloise wished, for a moment, that she had taken Marietta up on some of her earlier offers to kiss. As it was, she simply hid on the steps, watching Marietta as she cautiously approached the guards.

"Who goes there!" Boomed one as soon as he saw her, pointing his long spear in her direction. Marietta simply threw up her hands

"A maid, nothing more." Marietta said innocently. The two guards kept their spears up and kept their distance from her.

"Yeah, she's the Princess' friend." The other, shorter, one said, taking stock of her before lowering his spear. "Seen her around the Castle plenty."

"Shouldn't be out at this hour Miss. Lesser guards might have run you through." The other guard said, also lowering his defences

"But you're not just any soldiers, are you?" Marietta said, her voice dropping a bit and approaching them. "You're palace guards. The best of our nation."

"Well, the Navy boys might say something about that." the shorter one said modestly "But we do know a thing or two about a thing or two."

"Don't be modest. You boys are trained in riding, long arms, hand to hand fighting and are the finest swordsmen we have." Marietta continued "In fact, I bet you two are so proud of your talents you'd be willing to engage in a little bit of sword combat for me, just to demonstrate your talents."

"Can't do that on duty, Ma'am." The Taller one said "But at the garrison every week we have a little tourney and...."

Marietta shook her head

"You misunderstand me. I was thinking just back here, round the servants quarters, you two boys could have just an excellent sword fight in my mouth."

The shorter guard looked at the taller one, who looked back. They fully understood her meaning. Marietta walked back along the passage the way they'd came, swaying her hips. The Guards turned and followed her eagerly. Eloise, whose jaw had dropped as much as either guard's by Marietta's claim was roused into remembering her instructions and darted for the gate in the wall as the Guards went forth to claim their prize. Eloise thought about the possibility of it being the last time she saw Marietta and that made her almost unbearably sad as she passed out of the Castle, onto the little dirt road.

(RCH: Although, later, Eloise was to say that it also would have been strangely fitting. When interviewed for this history Lady Marietta Thurgood, formerly Marietta Tillson, did not confirm or deny the account of that night, simply saying "Well, if that's what you've heard". In this Historian's opinion these facts are largely to be believed, both due to second hand confirmation from many of the palace guards, although none would admit to being one of the two specifically, as well as the nature of the Prime Minister's wife herself. Lady Thurgood, now in her 45th year, remains a captivating and, shall we say, aggressive woman. In an entirely unrelated note, this particular Junior Historian's next work, tentatively scheduled for sometime next year, will be a biography of Lady Thurgood, written with the Lady's assistance at her winter estates. Look for it!)

~Chapter Three, in which things turn dark~

Eloise had sat in a ditch just outside the gates for ten silent minutes, fearing discovery with every second, before she finally heard the creaking of wheels draw along the dusty road. She took a nervous glance down the pitch dark of the road and saw, indeed, a small carriage being drawn by a single horse. She remained hidden, unsure of this being the right carriage until it was nearly on top of her, when she waved to the driver. An immense, black bearded man wearing the simple cloak of a merchant. He saw her and gave a small nod.

"Which one are you then?" his voice was unmistakably that of a Nilfenman. Coarse and unrefined. "The slut or the Princess?"

"The Princess." Eloise said quickly, lifting her dress to avoid the mud as she got out of the ditch before pausing to rebuke him "And don't call her a slut."

"Whatever," he shrugged.

"Let's just be on our way." she said, stomping up to the carriage. The man, still cloaked, shook his head.

"Got to get you lookin' the part, first." He said, tossing a sack at her. Eloise caught it and looked inside. There was a peasant dress, worn and weary, as well as what looked to be a drinking gourd of some sort. She sighed. She'd never worn such a thing before in her life. But she knew her decision meant she'd have to leave some of her luxuries behind. She took up the gourd though, it was far heavier than it should be if it contained water and there was a thick black liquid around the rim. She touched it and put it to her nose, it had no smell.

"That's for your hair, not to drink. Get it in while you're still wearing your silky nonsense so it doesn't stain the dress."

Eloise sighed once again. Her blonde locks had been a great source of pride to her. One of the reasons she was so frequently hailed as perhaps the fairest princess her nation had ever seen. Poets and Minstrels had composed poems and songs to their golden colour and their silken hue.

(RCH: Although another of the Movement's early pamphlets had also described them as "...The bewitching flaxen tentacles of the very symbol of our despot's oppression, parasitically feeding off the toil of our labourers." When reached for comment Prime Minister Thurgood disavowed the comment "I think Anton wrote that one, actually". When reached for comment about the Prime Minister's assertions Anton Tebeds, Chancellor of the Exchequer, denied this, claiming "It was William handled the words, I just projected out the economic models of a less protectionist trade policy. If you ask me, I think Will doesn't want to put his name to too many insults of the Queen because he knows Lady Thurgood will make him sleep in the guest chambers when your book comes out. We are off the record, right? Why are you still writing?")

But they would have to be gone as well. In a way it was fitting. Perhaps the most well-known symbol of her royalty cruelly denied her as she left it all behind. She poured some of the goop onto her hands and ran it through her hair. Surprisingly, the job went quickly, the liquid seeming particularly suited for this specific task and, in very little time, leaving her looking as though her hair had always been the colour of the night sky, An almost blue-ish black. Eloise ducked to the ground to wipe her hands of the dye before standing up.

"I'm going to the woods to change." Eloise said, causing her guide to shake his head.

"Nope. Not to let my eyes off you." he said firmly. She grumbled.

"Then at least turn around." she commanded, trying to sum up her most authoritative tone. He shrugged, as if the idea of staring at her naked body was not something that interested him in the slightest and did as requested. Eloise removed her elaborate silks, her delicate underthings, feeling the cool night air on her naked body for the very first time. Her nipples stiffening as she felt chills run through her. She put on the simple slip and dress quickly, not wanting to be naked in this barbarian's presence for longer than absolutely necessary. She dressed, the thin, rough cloth still clinging tightly to her womanly body, and made her way to the back of the carriage, stepping into it. It was empty, dirty and sparse. There was little more than two long boards along side either side of the wooden vehicle that she correctly interpreted were to be their beds for the coming journey. This was to be her home for the weeks or months that her journey would take. The thought made her want to cry. She sat down on one of the boards and looked desperately at the floor.

"You ready, your highness?" Olaf yelled as she could feel the carriage turn around.

"Yes." Eloise responded weakly while she began to regret, for the first time, her choices that led to her state.

~Chapter Four, in which a most foul offer is made~

Eloise awoke in only a few hours of sleep, the carriage still being pulled along at a steady and unspectacular pace. Whatever the plan was, it was not to make their way through the country side with great speed. Her sides ached from sleeping on the stiff board and her head pounded. She made her way to the front, though, and parted the curtain to where Olaf was driving them from, stepping out onto the little seat beside him.