Eye in the Sky

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The President stepped to the microphone and silence fell.

"I have a message for the American people and for the people of the world," he said. "A very great tragedy has occurred. This tragedy has claimed the lives of dozens of people, among them, nineteen children and the father of the young man you see here with me. For this tragedy I am deeply sorry. In the wider scheme of things, the government of the United States has offended and deceived our friends and allies around the world. For this, I am deeply apologetic. I allowed a group of misguided and delusional madmen to proceed in their madness unchecked.

That I was unaware of their madness is no excuse. I should have been aware. I failed the American people, the world and most of all, I failed this young lady. She has found in her heart the graciousness to forgive me. I don't deserve her forgiveness, but I am very grateful. I'm going to let her speak to you in a moment.

I want the American people to know that there are going to be changes in the way we do business. We are implementing changes in the way our intelligence community operates. We are going to insist on better oversight and responsibility and accountability to ensure that this tragedy is never repeated. We are forming a human rights court to bring to trial and convict those who offend against the dignity and nobility of human life, be they congressional representatives, Supreme Court justices or the President of the United States.

We ask the American people and the world community to find the grace and mercy of this young lady, and forgive our mistakes, knowing that we will be forever vigilant in the future to ensure this will never happen again."

He turned, "Sawyer, would you come up here please?"

She reluctantly let go of Lawson's hand and walked forward to stand beside the President.

"It's okay, Sawyer, Lawson can come up, too. I know you'll feel better holding his hand."

The room filled with laughter and Lawson came and stood beside her. She took his hand and used the other to brush back her hair. It was blonde again and growing past her shoulders already.

"My name is Sawyer Raleigh," she spoke softly. "I don't know how I got that name, but that's what the guards told me. I never knew my parents. Nine months ago, I was sitting on a bench outside a grocery store in Flagstaff, Arizona. It was snowing and I didn't have a coat. I hadn't eaten for two days and I didn't have any money. I thought I was going to die.

"A car pulled up in the parking lot and a young man got out. He was on his way home from football practice and he was thirsty. He stopped at the pop machine and noticed me sitting there. He bought me a soda and my life changed. I'm holding his hand now. His name is Lawson Sloan and I'm going to marry him someday."

The room burst into applause and cheering.

Sawyer smiled and brushed back her hair. "I was a prisoner for 15 years. I was born in prison and I never saw outside those walls for 13 years. I don't know what little girls do that were born free. I went to school. By that, I mean I went to a room and did school work. When school was over, I went to a dormitory and went to bed. I learned the usual things and I didn't know that life was supposed to be any different. I didn't know that other children had mothers and fathers. I didn't know that they played in the park or rode bicycles. There were 20 other children with me in the beginning. One by one, they disappeared and I always wondered if I would be next.

"When I was eight, I found out what my life was going to be like. I refused to do something the director wanted me to do and I was beaten with rubber hoses until I gave in.

"I almost died twice. I was tortured every week of my life until I was fifteen. So far as I knew, everyone was either tortured, or they tortured other people. You've seen all the sordid details in the papers.

"Then I met Lawson on that bench and I discovered that some people weren't like that. Some people buy sodas for lost and scared girls. Some people take them across the street and buy them breakfast. Some people take them to their homes and risk their lives to help strangers, just because they can and that's the kinds of people they are.

"I learned that some people have hearts so full of love that they give themselves to help other people. Sometimes they give their lives for the people they love. I wish you could have known Rawlins Sloan. He took me into his life and he loved me. He gave me the life I never had. He taught me that I could have someone in my life that loved me and that I was lovely." Tears filled her eyes and began to run down her golden cheeks.

"He gave me Lawson and my Uncle Mike. He showed me what life is supposed to be like and then he died. He always knew he was going to die. He had a very bad heart condition, but he died saving me from the monsters that were all I knew for 15 years.

"Before he died, he showed me what a real person is supposed to be like. I've decided that I'm going to live the rest of my life like he would want me to. I'm going to love people. I'm going to love people I don't know, strangers and even people that don't deserve my love, just like he did. I decided I was going to forgive the people that made my life so wretched for so long. I was going to forgive the people that let that happen. If I don't, I dishonor the memory of the man that loved me like that, even when he had no reason to love me. So, yes, I do forgive you, Mr. President. In honor of Rawlins Sloan, who gave his life for that little girl on that bench in the snow, I ask the world for your forgiveness, even for the people who don't even necessarily deserve it. I know the President is going to try very hard to make sure this doesn't happen to any other little boys and girls.

"If he doesn't, I have his phone number, and to all the others around the world who might be tempted to imprison and torture little girls, I can find your number, too. Remember, I'll be watching."

She stepped back and took Lawson with her. The room erupted with applause and the President returned to the microphone. "Miss Raleigh will take one question. She has selected Mr. Robinson to ask that question."

"Miss Raleigh, Sawyer, what is the lesson that you want people to learn from this?"

Sawyer stepped to the microphone again. "Mr. Robinson, the lesson I want people to learn is that they aren't alone in the world. There are other people out there, too. People aren't objects to be used and discarded. They aren't lab rats that you can do experiments on. They aren't things you can manipulate. I'm a person, and so are you. I love horses and old cars and pretty things and one boy. Just remember that when you find yourself beginning to treat people like things. We're not things. If you hurt me I cry, just like you. That's the lesson I want you to learn. You're not a slave and when someone tells you you are, you can stand up and tell them no, no matter who they are. I'm going to go back home and watch a movie with my boyfriend now. I'm going to ride my horse and go to church and graduate from high school. I just want to be a girl with a life like everyone else. I deserve that and so do you."

The President stepped to the podium again. "I hope you all just heard what she said. I don't want to see reporters outside her house. If she wants to talk to you she'll call. You will be arrested if you bother her. Let her live her life. We've all done enough to her."

*****

The President sat in the oval office, stunned and shaking. Sawyer and Lawson sat in the chairs across from his desk.

"Are you telling me that Wormwood worked, that you can really read minds?" he asked.

"I'm telling you that I can not only read them, but that I can influence them. For instance, what is your wife's name?"

He sat in silence for a moment. "I don't know. I can't remember. Are you doing something to me Sawyer?"

"Yes, I'm preventing you from remembering. I'll stop now."

His wife's face flashed through his mind and he remembered.

"I did that for a reason, Mr. President. I revealed myself to you for a reason. Mike and Lawson and I talked about this and they wanted me to show you. I told those people that I had your phone number but I have more than that. I'm going to be watching, sir. I'm going to be watching you and everyone involved in the government. Have you ever heard the song, Sirius/Eye in the Sky by the Alan Parsons Project, Mr. President?"

"Is that the song they play before sporting events?"

"Yes, do you know the lyrics?"

"No, I've only heard the instrumental introduction."

"I have them memorized," she told him. "Let me recite them for you."

Her perfect, husky little voice was enchanting as she wove a spell over them.

"Don't think sorry's easily said

Don't try turning tables instead

You've taken lots of chances before

But I ain't gonna give anymore, don't ask me

That's how it goes

Cause part of me knows what you're thinkin'

Don't say words you're gonna regret

Don't let fire rush to your head

I've heard the accusation before

And I ain't gotta take any more, believe me

The sun in your eyes

Made some of the lies worth believing

I am the eye in the sky

Looking at you, I can read your mind

I am the maker of rules

Dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind

And I don't need to see any more to know that

I can read your mind

I can read your mind

Don't leave false illusions behind

Don't cry, I ain't changing my mind

So find another fool like before

Cause I ain't gonna live anymore believing

Some of the lies while all of the sides are deceiving

I am the eye in the sky

Looking at you, I can read your mind

I am the maker of rules

Dealing with fools, I can cheat you blind

And I don't need to see any more to know that

I can read your mind

I can read your mind

A silence fell over the oval office as her sweet little voice died away. The President sat with his head bowed.

"That's the saddest thing I've ever heard Sawyer. I can't believe how well that fits you. I've tried to say I'm sorry. I know it's easily said. I know you've given more than should ever be asked of anyone, but you can't sit here in Washington, DC and threaten the President of the United States in his own office. I'm sorry Sawyer but you are a threat to this country. You're a threat to the whole human race. I'm going to have to take you into custody."

He opened his mouth to call the secret service agent outside the door. He found that he really didn't want to do that. He started to press a button on his desk. His hand fell back to the arm of the chair.

"You missed part of the song, Mr. President. I am the maker of rules, not you. You are going to discover that you are unable to mention this conversation to anyone but me, Lawson or Mike. Those are the only people I trust. You've just shown me that you can't be trusted. I make the rules, Mr. President, not you, not the congress, not anyone else, just me. Remember, I can read your mind. I'm going to be watching. I won't interfere with the way you people do things, but anytime anyone in the world hurts another person, any time you try to start programs that torture people, any time people's human rights are violated, I'm going to know, and before God, they will not go unpunished. When they form the idea, I'm going to know. There are no secrets from me, Mr. President."

"You're a eighteen-year-old girl, Sawyer. You don't know enough to make decisions like that. You're acting like God, judging people, taking decisions on yourself that you have no right to take."

"Do you know enough to make decisions like that, Mr. President?"

"I have advisors; I have teams of people that make sure I know enough."

"I know everything you know, remember? I can read your mind."

"The people of this country elected me. You're just stealing their choices away. It's tyranny."

"Bullshit, Mr. President, and you know it. You tell me: What makes people free? Is it the ability to vote? When one person makes the decision: that's tyranny, according to you. Does having two names on that ballot mean freedom? If our choices are between Hitler and Stalin are we supposed to hold our noses and vote for one of them? You're fighting two wars in two different countries right now and you're on the verge of three. Tell me, Mr. President; are the people in favor of those wars?"

"No, but they were when they started."

"That's right. Then they found out that you and people like you were lying to them. You stole their choice, Mr. President. Does the fact that you were elected make that any better? The sun in your eyes made some of the lies worth believing. I've told you that I won't interfere with you, but I am going to take away your ability to lie. When you do, every newspaper in the world is going to know it. Is that really so terrible, Mr. President? Does it terrify you that you won't be able to lie to people anymore?"

"I never wanted to lie to anyone. There are just some secrets that we have to keep so that we can accomplish what needs to be done for the common good."

"Bullshit again, Mr. President. The reason you want to keep secrets is because if people found out the things you were doing 'for the common good,' they'd run you out of town on a rail."

"You're keeping secrets Sawyer. You're keeping yourself a secret. People would be terrified if they knew someone could read their minds."

"Yes, you're right. The similarity between you and me, Mr. President, is that I'm keeping my secret so that you won't lock me up or kill me. You're keeping secrets like Wormwood because you know people will lock you up. The difference is that you deserve to be locked up. You made me like this, sir. I didn't choose to read minds. You made me do it. Now you want to lock me up for being what you made me be. You think I'm a monster. I may be, Mr. President, but I'm your monster. You're Dr. Frankenstein. You created me."

"I'm sorry Sawyer. I'm so confused. We did make you. I wish it had never happened. I don't know what to do."

"There's nothing you can do. I am the maker of rules, not you. I think that's what terrifies you so much. There's one person on the planet that you can't control in any way, and if she wants to destroy you, she can. That terrifies you, and people like you. Real freedom is the ability to say no if I think your demands are unreasonable. What would happen to people like you if everyone else could just tell you, 'no'? That's what I want. I want everyone in the world to be able to say 'no' when the draft board sends them their induction notice, or when the tax man knocks on their door or a policeman demands to see their papers."

"It would be anarchy, Sawyer."

"Exactly: That's what real freedom is, Mr. President. It's freedom from people like you. I'm going to try and teach other people to do what I do. I hope that when Lawson and I have children, I can pass on my abilities to them. We will be the watchers: the eyes in the sky. Maybe someday everyone will have that ability. Maybe we've had it all along and just never found out how it works. Does that terrify you, Mr. President?"

"Completely: but not as much as all that power in the hands of one eighteen-year-old girl."

"That's exactly how I feel about you. All that power in the hands of one man. You said earlier you wanted to become my friend, sir. I hope you still feel that way. If you want me to, I will be. Do you know what the funny thing is? You can trust me sir. I can't trust you because you're sick, but you can trust me. Do you know why? I never wanted this ability. I would never have chosen to be able to read people's minds. I only want one power; the power to live my life and be left alone. You took that away from me when I was a baby. Now I'm taking it back and that terrifies you. The reason you can trust me not to abuse my power is that I don't want it. You took away my choices before I was born. Now I'm going to use it to see that you never do that to anyone else. If I was like you I'd lock you up and throw away the key, but I'll never do that. I won't even tamper with you at all unless you lie to me. Feel me, Mr. President." She opened herself up to him and his mind reeled. He had never known such terror or such intimacy. He fully understood the entity called Sawyer Raleigh.

The President was a shaken man. He put his head down in his hands, lost in despair. When he looked up, Sawyer and Lawson were gone. He ran out on the White House lawn. They were getting into the car. Mike was driving and the President ran to the car and knocked on the window. Lawson rolled it down and President stooped and looked inside.

"I am going to trust you Sawyer," he said. "I do want to be your friend. When can I see you again?"

"I won't ever come here again," she told him. "Do your daughters like horseback riding in the mountains?"

"They've never been. We're from Illinois, remember?"

She laughed. "Would you like to bring them and visit us? If you can work it out, I'd like for you to speak to my school opening day. I think it's going to take the President to explain how Jack Bishop became Sawyer Raleigh, or the other way around, really. If you could stay for three days, we could go riding on Saturday, and you could go to church with us on Sunday."

"Count on it, Sawyer, but I want to stay four days. I'll make that speech, but I want to do it the day before school starts. That way it won't be awkward for you."

He was as good as his word. School opened on Friday and Lawson flew in from Los Angeles on Wednesday. Classes hadn't started, but he was already in football practice.

The President flew in on Thursday morning, and Mike, Lawson and Sawyer rode with the procession to a park near downtown. A huge crowd had gathered and the President stepped to the microphone, accompanied by Lawson and Sawyer. Mike stood with the Secret Service agents and blended in.

"Hello Flagstaff," the President began. A cheer broke out and he smiled and waved. "I've only been here once before but you have one of the most beautiful cities in the country. The first time I was here, one of your citizens told me she despised me. She told me I made her feel sick.

"Can you imagine how that made me feel? I had flown here from Washington especially to meet her. I was crushed. I never wanted anyone to like me more in my life. I felt like I was back in high school with all you young men and women here and Mary Jo Chopin turned me down for the prom."

The crowd laughed and the President continued.

"She is a very special person, and I desperately wanted her to like me. She didn't and I was never so disappointed in my life. Her Uncle told me that she'd come around if I was nice to her. 'She can't help liking people,' he told me. I've spent the last four months being nice to her. I sent her flowers every Monday. I called her on the phone every Sunday evening. I set up a Skype call once a month with my family, so she could see us and get to know us, but something else happened.

"I had never met her the first time I came here. I didn't know what to expect. You students over there in the Eagles section know her well. Instead of her liking me, I fell in love with her. My whole family did. I think she fell in love with my family too. I hope she likes me a little.

"You see, it's not so much me she despised; it's what I represented. She told me that she thought I was an honorable man. As I tell you about her, you'll understand why she despised me.

"You've all heard of Sawyer Rawlins. Most of you know who she really is by now. You may be a little confused, because you know her as Jack Bishop. Sawyer is her real name. She took her Uncle's last name when she moved here. That's him standing down there with my security detail. He's the one with no earpiece and no hair."