F4: The Guildsman

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Men either shipwrecked or left behind began to build structures, initially with drift wood or broken timbers from scuttled ships, eventually moved into the forests to source their needs. They had begun to clear the forest slowly at first, almost imperceptibly, but then with increasing speed as more people arrived. The foreigners sent parties of exploration into the surrounding forest who upon meeting some of the more forward men and women of the local tribes had acted with sheer force and brutality decimating small villages close to the burgeoning city.

The retribution of the forest guardians had been swift and just as brutal, surprise being their main weapon they had taken no captives and moved on to the city with a speed only the guardians could maintain leaving their less gifted clan to clean up the bloody trail they left in their wake. Fiercely protective of their land and their peoples the guardians had left some few of the foreigners alive to leave the shores and tell their tale.

Connor believed he understood the people, they worshipped nature, took only what they needed from the land and cared for the forest and the creatures it housed. He found what he had been looking for and using the broken limb of a tree sprung the trap that had been set to capture the more adventurous of the townspeople, then sat back and waited.

"Did you bring me sweets?" the soft melodic voice sounded directly behind him. It shouldn't have surprised him that he hadn't heard her approach, but he jumped slightly in surprise, making the tall, dark woman laugh.

"Of course, I would not dare come without," he took one piece of the sweet fudge from his pocket and held it out on his palm in offering.

"Only one?" The woman queried, "Perhaps I should search you." A slow lascivious smile crossed her face. Connor had played the mating game of hunter and prey with the guardians before. He knew that to run was to court the woman's excitement, so he stared back at her unmoving.

"I need to talk with Oriah," he said evenly his heart hammering in his chest, "Then I will play with you and you can have all the sweets you find."

"You're no fun anymore Connor," she stepped from the shadows to take the treat with a sulky pout. "You have got fat and lazy," she eyed him critically.

"Don't look so glum, Odine. If Oriah deigns to help me, I will bring you some fit young men to play with who will stand in awe of your prowess," he smirked seeing her preen at the compliment.

"Keep up then, you look like you couldn't out run a child," Odine turned and began to jog through the trees with Connor hot on her heels.

* * * *

When the island of Lost Amberlei came clearly into sight several days later, the Captain dropped the anchor swiftly bring the Prince Regent up on deck in a burst of speed fuelled by anger. From their position directly below the deck on which the Captain stood the two Queens could hear the exchange between the two men quite clearly.

"Why have you dropped anchor?" The Prince demanded in a screeching burst of noise, "L.A. is just there!" he gestured wildly toward the not too distant island.

"Well now you see," the captain drawled and poked up at the afternoon sun. "The sun be long gone before we get that far 'n' none of them there Lords would be down the docks to greet you and your good mother. Best we go in on the morning tides, don't you think? Make them greet you, all proper like."

"They will come because I am their Regent!" The Prince said pompously.

"Your father may be King of all the land to the west of here, but these men are privateers. They allow you to hold court here because it suits them. Because you are the son of the King, just as they do for the Kings of the east. These are calculating men; you will get nowhere fast if you expect them to play your game of thrones." The man gave his unsolicited advice.

"My mother the Queen, longs for the feel of solid land beneath her feet, you will continue on our journey and reach land as soon as possible," the Prince refused to back down and let the captain best him. There was a slight cough behind him and one of his mother's men stepped forward.

"If you would excuse my interruption, your Majesty," he said with due respect, "The Queen sends her gratitude for your fore-thought of a small rest so she may prepare herself properly to meet the Leaders of Lost Amberlei with all the grandeur and ceremony that should befit the family of the great King of the north." He paused briefly as the Prince gaped at him. "She further requests that her son attends her to discuss the appropriate decorum for such an occasion."

"I will be back," the now surly Prince addressed the captain and stalked below decks not waiting to see the captain touch his forehead and give a half bow. It was not lost on Kyelle, however, as she appeared on deck a moment before the Prince disappeared below. The haste with which all the sailors worked to secure the ship for the evening was astonishing to her as almost unseen, she walked to the aft and stared out over the rail towards the west hoping she would be able to stay long enough to see the sky change colour with the setting sun.

Losing herself in thoughts of her homeland, and her younger years spent in the cliff top palace of her family, the time floated past her, and she gazed on the orange and pink horizon. She was glad that the Queen had seen fit to curtail her son's bad manners. She was so caught up in her memories of sunsets over the sea that she almost didn't notice the small boat drift away from the ship as the evening darkened. It silently moved through the water, the expert oarsman dipping and swinging the wooden paddles through the water without a sound.

"Majesty," the captain appeared beside Kyelle making her jump.

"Oh Captain, I am so sorry I was so lost in thought, I haven't enjoyed a sunset so much in over a year," Kyelle was unsure if the small boat carried stowaways or forerunners to alert the people of the island on their imminent arrival but she decided that the all-seeing captain would have known, he missed nothing that happened aboard his ship, so she feigned ignorance.

"Red sky at night, sailors delight," he quoted the old fisherman's tale making her smile. "May I escort you down to dinner, your Majesty?" he offered his arm and they slowly walked back toward the royal apartments without a backwards glance.

* * * **

Connor had seen the distant flare sail through the night sky last night, and as he made his way back to the township he saw the signal sail through the night sky again close enough to let him know the ship would arrive in the morning. The suspicious guardians saw the bright arcs as an omen of things to come and gave him an escort back through the dark forest to meet his destiny.

Oriah, oracle to the guardians had thrown her bones and deemed his request worthy of her peoples assistance. While the matriarch of the guardians enjoyed sporting with Connor the real power of the people lay with their oracles and Oriah distrusted all outsiders. It had taken all of Connors powers of persuasion to get her to even hear his request.

He had appealed to their protective instincts explaining that the conquering King had taken the last bastion of freedom in the west and now set his sights on Lost Amberlei. He told them that the King was sending his wife and his son as a precursor to his mighty army to take their island from their control and use it as a stepping stone to the east.

The richer more culturally aware Kings of the east had no such intentions. In fact, they loathed the idea of war and required only their own small trading port on the island, gifted to them by the guardians. The east would do nothing to aid the island unless they themselves were threatened. As much as they enjoyed the trade pact with the west their economy was not driven by it, and they were just as happy to shut their borders to the west should the west win the island.

Connor cringed inwardly as Oriah had weighed his words using the gifts of prophecy and premonition. In truth, the east had sent the guild many years past to infiltrate the west. It suited them to ensure instability in the region, the populous west were a war mongering people, and if they united under one banner they would be unstoppable much as the King was now except that he did not rule a truly united land and the guild had plans in place now to bring his empire down around his ears.

Oriah had weighed his words and judged him using the ancient bones and rainforest magic of her people. The threat itself was deemed real and Connor, despite Oriah's misgivings, was given audience with the high council or at least the guardians version of it. Plans were made, and Connor was sent back to his people to make his own preparations.

The forest finally thinned and his escorted faded into the background as she stealthily approached the wall and scaled with practised ease. He made his way quickly down along the wharf front to a nondescript hovel in cheap side. An elderly looking sailor sat in a chair on the rotting porch, and Connor greeted him his fingers working in practised gestures, to relate who he truly was and the man offered him a tipple of muck loudly inviting him inside.

The small room seemed crowded, and each man looked up as Connor entered as if expecting him. Younger than most of the guild that were assembled in the room he felt as if he was a recalcitrant child who was being scolded for tardiness regardless of being well past thirty now. He did not realise that tales of his heroism and skill had circulated not only amongst those who knew him in the years he had been in the west but beyond to the borders of his own country. Despite his age, the men assembled looked to him as a leader in this quest to halt the conquering King in his tracks and reverse his fortunes.

By dawns early light the last of the owls had winged their way toward the coastal villages of the west, the time and date set for action. Connor got up to leave, and one of the men stood and moved toward to doorway with him.

"I will walk with you a while," he said as he held the door open for Connor. It wasn't a request; it was a statement and he nodded slightly as he stepped out into the early light. "It is a shame that when we embrace our destiny we have to leave all that we love behind, and they must disown us, is it not? To accept a guild in place of our own blood ties can sometimes bring a man to memory and melancholia."

"Indeed," Connor said, "but it is best for all."

"Yes, indeed," he smiled, "I happened to be down in the small province of Wayland a while back, all that rich farming land its quite the peaceful place," he looked over at Connor for some reaction but got none. "I was a Waylander once upon a time, in another life. I was considering returning home to retire as it were. I ran into my sister there, Georgia, a beautiful woman, married a farmer out by the willow road, but she wears an empty locket and an air of sadness about her, despite her happy marriage."

At that Connor did falter in his stoicism, looking up at the man who had disclosed his relationship to Connor could only assume was his mother. He had not known he had an uncle in the guild, but then how could he have? His uncle would have left before Connor was born in all likelihood. He ached to know of his mother and family, but it wasn't the way of the guild, so he said nothing, letting the man talk on.

"She didn't know me of course, I asked for directions to the local blacksmith. Seems her daughter is married to him now, another beautiful woman," he smiled. "If I had ever found a girl half as sweet I may have given up my life in the guild and settled down, in such a safe, idyllic place. How about you? Ever considered giving up the life of a vagabond?"

"There was a girl once," Connor said wistfully, "My chest hurt and I could barely breathe every time I looked at her, but she was always well outside my reach. What could I ever offer a Princess but a life of hardship? I have no fame or fortune, no career that would be suitable for a wife and children."

"A Princess, well now, it is always good to have lofty dreams," Angus chuckled to cover his surprise at the young man's modesty. The reward for information on the mysterious rebel leader of the western realms was exceedingly high, and he didn't even realise it was him they sought. He had probably been so busy moving from place to place and setting fires with his actions that he would not have seen the trail of bounty hunters that greedily followed him.

His deeds were legend in no less than six of the twelve realms, and a bounty was on his head in each. Angus had been surprised to find him alive and still seemingly undetected by any but the most astute of the guild. Admittedly meeting him in person was very underwhelming in comparison to the legend that was Connor Coor. He had no band of men with him, and he did not seek leadership and his soft voice and gentle smile belied his intelligence and ruthless fighting skill.

"Perhaps one day you will be King of your own castle with your Princess by your side," he looked meaningfully towards the east where the newly risen sun was hovering just above the horizon. "Perhaps one day you will return to your home and the peaceful rustic life, like that of a Waylander. Too many mothers wear empty lockets and mourn those that are no more."

"Alas Kyelle's beauty drew her north to be squirrelled away with the King's treasures. No, brother, I will be content with my life, as it is now. I am not the type to take up the plough or hoe," Connor said without a trace of bitterness or sadness. "There is much to do on this day of days," he took the man's hand and leaned forward to clap his other shoulder and in a low voice murmured, "It is good to know you Uncle, thank you for the news."

* * * *

Kyelle was excited, but she tried not to let it show. She had first visited Lost Amberlei as a small girl with her father. He had let her ride on his shoulder through the town square, and she remembered the colour and bustle of the multicultural place. An independent nation, the town had its ties firmly in the west as did the city of Nomads Yen on the other side of the island had its ties firmly in the east.

She smiled thinking of her father and how much she missed him. She did not blame him for giving her up to the King, she always knew that marriage for her would never be about love but that of alliances. She reasoned that becoming the fifth wife to King himself was not such a bad thing if it kept her family safe and as caretakers of her homeland.

Resigned to her fate now, she took whatever small pleasures life offered her, and this was surely one of them. She walked in a slow procession down the gangplank following the first Queen and her son. She knew that no one would bother watching her when the Queen looked every inch of royalty and the Prince decked out in his finest robes escorting he,r so she happily looked around at the sea of faces that had gathered to greet them at the dock.

Her eyes locked momentarily with that of a seaman in the crowd; recognition flowed through her, but she blinked not believing what she saw, and the man had looked away. His hat was pulled low, and the collar of his jacket was pulled up so she couldn't be sure of whom it was, only that dark eyes had held a tinge of familiarity for her.

She lost sight of him as the procession moved at a stately pace to the heart of the town and the welcome of the city leaders, and she had not even had time to ask her escort what country he might be from. His face though stayed in her mind those dark eyes staring at her as she tried to puzzle it out.

Trying to remember she was a Queen now she smiled and waved to those in the crowd still looking at faces hoping to see something familiar from home, a cousin or uncle that might have escaped the aftermath of the Kings vengeance, but the only moment of familiarity, had been the curious sailor in the crowd.

She mounted the stairs to the central town hall to make the official greetings of the town leaders. Each a self-proclaimed independent man, having no allegiance to any one realm the leaders of this town had their economy bound up in the trade routes of the western realms and ultimately to the conquering King now.

With all the ceremony due to royalty, the leaders had stood inline and allowed the royal party to file past them in introductions and enter the great hall first. Angus Kur smiled as he took the young Queens hands and looked into her eyes, "I had been told of your beauty Princess Kyelle but not until I beheld it myself did I believe its truth."

"Thank you," she stammered as she looked up into the dark eyes of the town leader. Almost the same eyes as those she had seen in the crowd and once again the feeling of familiarity came over her. Blushing she asked, "Have we not met before this day?"

"No, Princess or I would have remembered such beauty," Angus bowed slightly before her.

"Your eyes seem so... and I thought I saw..." she shook her head "I am confused, please forgive me."

"Perhaps you have met my nephew, he spent some time in your fathers realm a few years ago before the great battle. He was a friend to your father; I believe," he said patting her hand reassuringly but speaking in low tones.

Kyelle tilted her head and thought, like a bolt of lightning the memory emerged, and she immediately realised why this man talked in such hushed tones, Connor! Could it have been him she saw in the crowd? She had thought him dead in one of his impossible raids on the enemy lines during the last big battle before her father capitulated. She longed to ask but saw that she was holding up the proceedings and moved along the line of people.

Throughout the ceremony, she tried to find a moment to speak quietly with the man who had called her Princess but it was not to be. The Queen resolutely kept Kyelle by her side, and Angus kept his distance not wanting anyone within the room to question his motives until he had had the chance to speak with Connor. It had taken years of political skulduggery to gain his position within this town and, with the looming battles ahead, it was worth the price they might have to pay to save the girl from her fate.

As the royal women moved to take their leave of the celebrations, Angus boldly approached them. "Perhaps while the first Queen and her son are meeting with the town leaders tomorrow, you would allow my men to escort the Princess Kyelle through the market square to purchase anything you have need of during your stay here," he addressed the Queen formally.

"I do not think that would be wise, though your offer is generous, we must decline," the Queen said stiffly. "Her husband, the King, would not like Queen Kyelle to put herself in danger I am sure." She rebuked the man for calling Kyelle Princess.

"Then perhaps when the Kings men are available I will be able to offer my services as a guide to both his Queens," he smiled accepting the refusal with a counter offer.

"We shall see if time permits," the Queen then turned and walked away offering no chance for another offer.

* * * *

Connor's heart stopped as he saw Kyelle join the procession coming down the gangplank. He had expected only the Prince Regent and his mother. She looked as beautiful as ever, possibly more so in his eyes as she gazed out over the crowd smiling and waving. She looked happy, and his stomach knotted that, for the second time, he would have a hand in destroying the world as she knew it.

His mind flew back in time, and he cursed that he had not been fast enough, strong enough, smart enough to disable the trebuchet's before they had hurled the boulders at the walls of the castle holding the final Lord of the realm and his family. He had set two on fire and dismantled the third before realising there were too many that had already began the destruction and being behind enemy lines with no hope of reinforcement for his small troop of warriors they had fought their way clear to the coast and a waiting boat.