F4: The Guildsman

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Through the spyglass, he had seen the ultimate surrender as the walls crumbled under the onslaught. He and his companions had dressed in battered old armour and milled around with the crowd as the King had taken the Lords right hand and left foot from his body, cauterising the wounds immediately and sending doctors to ensure the man didn't die.

As was his way, he liked to leave a living reminder of what happened to people who defied him. The King had left with his pledge of allegiance from the Lord and his family, the gold held in the treasury and Kyelle. Heartbroken that not only the last bastion of freedom in the west had fallen but also at the loss of a girl he had held within his heart; Connor had left the same day setting course for Lost Amberlei.

Several times he had thought to go after her, save her from her fate, but it was a suicide mission and he would receive no help from the guild. Having a wife and family meant leaving the fraternal network, and they would not take his risking their lives only to leave them with less than they had before, even to put a thorn into the Kings side. He also didn't want to risk retribution on the deposed Lord and his family whom he had grown close to over the years he had served them. They were good people and good to their people, like so many of the ruling families he had fought with and failed.

Their eyes had locked for a moment, and recognition had flowed between them. She blinked, and he had taken that moment of severed contact to look away. His stomach in knots and his mind racing with plans on how he could save her, he had watched the small procession pass before wandering back along the wharves to one of the safehouses. There had to be a way to save her even if he could never tell her how he felt, perhaps the plan to assassinate each member of the Royal Family was too harsh. He knew that to get an agreement from some of the Lords in the realms it had to be this way but he had not considered that the King had married Kyelle or that she would be happy in her life with him.

He cursed himself again. He had been a fool to believe the King would not want to keep her beauty for himself. As a mistress, she was fair game to anyone in his court but as his wife she was his alone and he was a pretentious peacock who could not help, but flaunt the treasures he stole from the realms. Connor sat heavily and poured himself a mug of spiced wine.

Downing the drunk quickly and with a sour taste in his mouth he walked down to the docks. He wandered seemingly aimless until he found himself in front of the ship that had brought the Royal party. Lost in thought he was surprised when a weather lined sailor came down from the ship saying loudly, "Can ye tell me where I can find me some golden ale, friend." As he spoke his fingers twitched and Connor raised an eyebrow in surprise.

"The ale in these parts does not travel well, but there is some spiced wine that is drinkable if you're in need," Connor spoke as his fingers and gestures told the story of who he was. "Come friend, I'll show you the way, so those sea legs don't take you astray."

"Aye laddie, it's been a long voyage in more ways than one," he grumbled good-naturedly.

They spent an hour or so talking about the captains voyage and the plans of the guild which the captain knew more about than Connor had given him credit for. Connor resisted the urge to quiz him about Kyelle when her name was raised in relation to the Regent and how she had spurned his advances. Connor was pleased that she had not become a plaything for father and son and that she still held herself as a lady, showing her cleverness at befriending the first Queen.

"Come on Cinderella, your fairy godmother has arrived," a big man burst into the room and threw some livery at Connor with a deep chuckle. "Angus sent me, says there's something you need to see."

"I saw the Royal party down at the docks," Connor emptied his mug and looked at the livery with a scowl.

"I dunno about that; they retired for the night an hour ago so I doubt you will be looking at them," the big man said with a shrug, "C'mon, get ya fancy pants on I wanna get back."

Connor groaned but stood and tore off his rough shirt and breeches replacing them with the livery of a town hall guard while the big man waxed lyrical about the charms of a certain kitchen wench he had met at the celebrations.

Arriving at the hall the two men marched inside and reported to the Captain of the Guards office. Unsurprised Connor greeted Angus with a curt bow, "Reporting for duty, Sir."

"Excellent! Thank you Cooper," he nodded to the big man in dismissal and waited until the door closed after him. "Seems your Princess is not as far out of your reach as you first thought," he smiled at Connor.

"May as well be now," Connor was surly, "she did not even know of my existence in her father's army I am sure. We never spoke. I admire her from a distance; that is all. There is no great love story here, certainly nothing to justify endangering so much planning."

"If I could go back and redo that one pivotal moment in my life that one chance I had for happiness, I would. This is the girl that takes your very ability to breathe away, and I am not going to allow you to end up old and alone like me, even my sister treats me as a stranger. Let me tell you, at my age having lived longer than most in our profession, it's a lonely end I see in my future," he shook his head as if clearing dark thoughts. "So we need a new plan or at least a small adjustment to the plan we have."

* * * *

Kyelle walked around the spacious suite she had been given once again, sheer boredom making her search once again for anything that could be used as a distraction. There wasn't even a book in sight. She wondered if this great hall had a library she could lose herself in for an hour or two and decided to ask her hosts. Opening her door, she was immediately accosted by two men in the livery of town guards. She faltered and stared at them silently seeing only the uniforms and feeling like a prisoner rather than a guest.

"Do you need something, Majesty?" One of the guards prompted her, and she looked up into familiar dark eyes. Unsure of his position here because of the bounty on his head she said nothing at first. "Majesty?" he prompted her again as she stood staring and speechless.

"I was wondering if one of the leaders might have some books I could borrow, please," she spoke softly unsure if she would be allowed to walk the hall without the first Queen or Prince Regent.

"I will ask for you and perhaps I could bring you a selection of books, Majesty," The man beside the first guard offered. He was bored and could use the distraction if only for a few minutes. He was dressed in the Royal livery of the Kings men, but she didn't know his face.

"That would be wonderful thank you, kind Sir," she smiled sweetly and closed the door again. Pacing the room again for several long minutes until she was sure the first man had left, Kyelle opened her door again. "I think I saw a mouse!" She said breathlessly "could you check for me please? Over there under the divan." She pointed the way inside.

Leaving the door open wide so as not to compromise her reputation, Connor stepped into the suite and crossed to the divan. After a thorough search, he stood and faced her, "We don't really get mice here on the island, and the water-rats tend to confine themselves to the docks are you sure it was not a spider?" A small smile curled his lip at the look of horror on her face.

"Do you have spiders that big here?" she was aghast.

"Not often, Majesty, but it is more likely than a mouse," he explained. He watched as she took a few steps closer to him until they were barely an arm's length apart.

"I know who you are," she said in a voice so quiet that he had to strain to hear her. "The King does not believe you are dead and has doubled the bounty each season that passes. You must leave and go east." She said with some urgency.

It was Connor's turn to be surprised. He had not thought she would have known him. They had never spoken directly through all his time in her father's house and at his right hand. "I think you are mistaken Majesty," he said equally softly.

"No Connor, I am not," she said clearly, "Along with the bounty your legendary deeds grow each season, you give hope to the realms that still wish to fight on. The King is not pleased, the Queen thinks it is why we have been sent on this journey rather than my exile alone."

"You have been exiled? By the King?" It was incomprehensible to Connor that she could have done anything to deserve such a fate.

"With small rebellions popping up everywhere, he could hardly execute me at the moment and give the people a second martyr," she shook her head. "The first Queen is a very intelligent woman, however, and she believes rightly that I was placed in an untenable position by another and that we have been sent to a place of safety while he puts down the civil unrest in the capital."

"You seemed so happy," Connor was puzzled by her words, "when you arrived I mean, no one would guess there was trouble within the palace." He needed to talk to the guild and find the truth of her words.

"Appearances are not all they seem," she indicated his livery. "You must go Connor, if the Prince Regent or first Queen recognise you, your life will be forfeit. My father loved you Connor as much as a son I dare say; he knew you were there in the crowd on the day of his unmanning, it gave him strength to know all was not lost and that rebels survived the day." Once she had begun talking of home it seemed she could not stop, and her eyes glistened with unshed tears. "Why are you here Connor guarding the lowest wife of your enemy? You barely even knew I was alive in my father's court, even when I placed myself in your path you would side step me."

Connor looked at her in confusion. His mind raced with all she had said. Treason? Exile? Had she tried to know him better in her father court? He rarely attended any celebrations that she was at; he had no idea of what she was talking about; she was the one that that was always out of his reach.

"This is not a conversation for now," he said in a low murmur looking toward the door. "I am not the hero you paint me as, I admired your father he was a good and just man and he had right on his side when he went against the King. I would fight for him still..." He looked into her glassy eyes "We each have our parts to play now, be ready for yours it will come soon. Be brave and know I will be watching." He turned and left the room closing the door firmly behind him, leaving her as confused as he felt.

* * * *

Kyelle did not see Connor again over the following days though she felt somewhat comforted that the hero of her homeland was watching over her somehow. There was little do in the township of Lost Amberlei; it had little history, one market square and only a small group who were deemed worthy to attend the Royal Court such as it was.

On the fourth day, she woke with an air of expectation, both the Prince and Kyelle had worked very hard at convincing the Queen to visit the town on the other side of the island to strengthen their ties with the east. The town leader Angus had offered them the use of his sleek sloop which would halve the travelling time and the Queen reluctantly agreed.

The voyage had taken a little under an hour, and Kyelle loved the rustic charm of the town of Nomad's Yen. The people who had made this place home differed very little from those of the west and they found that rather than exotic curios and food they were faced with a similar assortment of wares as available in Lost Amberlei. In all Kyelle was quite disappointed until she found an artisan who worked with brilliant purple stones. The detail of his work was so finely crafted and the settings different from the style currently worn in court that she stayed some time studying every item and praising the creators.

The Prince in a small act of retribution for her denial of his advances had refused to purchase any of the stones for her and dejected she had finally left the stall. They had enjoyed a banquet lunch with the town leaders and returned to Lost Amberlei or L.A. as she had begun to call it now on the late afternoon tide.

She had dined with the first Queen in her suite that evening upon their return, the Queen feeling too exhausted to make an appearance at the evening banquet. The Queen had made excuses once again for her son's poor behaviour toward her, sighting that he was young and rash like his father was once. Kyelle as always looked at the positives in the situation and reminded herself that it was a wonderful day for sailing and exploring, and she had enjoyed herself for the most part.

She retired to her rooms and allowed her maid to help her undress and slip into a night dress before dismissing her. Like the first Queen the sea air had made her exhausted and she pulled her hair loose not bothering to plait it before she slid between the sheets falling into a deep sleep.

Assisted by strategically placed brothers Connor stole into the young Queens room in the quiet of the early morning darkness. He stood for some time looking down on the beautiful woman who had so captured his heart. Her hair fanned out around her face, and he wanted nothing more at that moment than to slide between the sheets and be with her, tell her of his love for her, hold her and make her his. It could not be though; his was not a world she could understand or that he could give up so easily.

He left the small parcel on her pillow and bent to brush his lips over her forehead, making her stir but not wake. He smiled as the small sleepy noise she made and turned leaving her room and walking out of the town hall before his impulsiveness got the better of him and destroyed the well prepared plans of the guild.

He had thought long and hard since seeing her that first day about what he could and would do to protect her and help her get the life she deserved and finally he and Angus had come up with a way to do that. They would help her get to a realm that neighboured her own homeland where her sister now lived. She and her husband would protect Kyelle's identity and keep her safe from those who wish the King's whole family wiped from the earth. It had to be this way; she was royalty and deserved a life of privilege, not the life of a wandering vagabonds wife.

He had spent days framing the words of his note, and he was glad he had told her at last how he felt though nothing good could come it. He could only pray now that she would follow his instructions so he could safely get her out of harm's way.

* * * *

Kyelle stared at the letter reading it for the third time.

"Princess Kyelle, Please accept this token of my adoration for you. The many years I spent in your fathers court were some of the happiest of my life, for it is there I first saw you and watched you from afar. If I were to ever give up my vagabond existence, it would be for a woman like you. But I am not the hero of legend, and I have no fortune or fame, there is nothing I can offer you to compare to the riches that should by right be yours. Please heed my warnings and follow my instructions, look to the east for a new moon, on that night during the evening banquet eat and drink nothing, take fresh fruit to your room and wash it thoroughly if you must eat something. Wear the amulet I have given you as you sleep, it will ward off the evil that comes and keep you safe. Yours C"

She held up the necklace that held an amulet studded with the purple stones she had seen in the market the day before; its centrepiece though was an amazingly bright blue stone the likes of which she had never seen before. She slipped the gold chain over her neck and let it hang down between her breasts. It was truly beautiful, and she read the letter once more.

She struggled to make sense of its meaning. Did he love her? Did he think himself unworthy of her because he was not rich or high born? Did he not realise just how heroic he was not only in her own realm but in others. If he chose to he could demand riches from any of the Lords if they still had it to give. He was a fugitive from the Kings bounty hunters though, and that meant a life on the run or fleeing eastward to make his mark.

She wished she had a way of finding him; she knew she would recognise him now if she saw him in a crowd. Formulating a plan of her own she got dressed rapidly and went to tend the first Queen. More relaxed than in the first days the Queen was in good humour as everyone fawned over her and gave her every privilege on the island. For it was like ruling a mini kingdom as her son swanned about pretending to be interested in the affairs of trade pacts with various realms in the east.

"I have asked nothing since we arrived, but I was wondering if today I might go to the market and see if I can find a jeweller who could procure some of those lovely purple gems we saw yesterday. Imagine how jealous the other wives will be when we return, you could perhaps have them added to your royal crown," Kyelle appealed to the first Queen's vanity. "I am sure Leader Angus and his men would escort me so as not to leave you and the Prince Regent at a loss. I am after all nothing but the fifth and lowest of the Kings wives; no one would want to harm me, and I have nothing to make me valuable as a hostage."

"Of course you are valuable, I couldn't have survived that voyage without you and despite my strong words of warning Prince Hametus is still drawn to your youthful prettiness," the Queen said condescendingly. "It is true Raewynn will be intensely jealous of those gems; she thinks her crown is so much better than mine because it was made by the dwarves of Mount Glorious; I think you should go and find some for me after all. I will see Angus and instruct him as much."

The Queen continued on a diatribe about the amount of time it took to rule even a small island such as this. She took it as her right to be the ruler as mother of the Prince Regent and first wife of the King and as always Kyelle offered her services to the Queen lacking in substance as they were but lapsed into silence allowing the Queen to complain about the role she clearly enjoyed immensely.

It was only minutes since she had sent an invitation to Leader Angus to attend her suites that he arrived with a polite knock at the door and a brief introduction by the Queen's companion. He smiled at Kyelle upon hearing the Queens command and once again she marvelled that he held the same dark eyes of Connor, they had to be related somehow or at least from the same realm. At the conclusion of the discussion, she was escorted from the Queens chambers by Angus and led down towards the entrance of the hall.

"Might I have a private word before we leave, please, Leader Angus?" Kyelle said softly as they descended the stairs from the first floor.

"As you wish, Majesty, my office is this way," Angus guided her to a small doorway recessed into the wall on the left side of the foyer. Once settled in comfortable chairs he looked to her, "How can I be of assistance?"

"I would like to speak my mind without fear of its being taken further, but I fear my intention may be misconstrued," she began knowing she was talking cryptically.

"Speak your mind it will go no further than this room," Angus said gently.

"I need to find a man I have seen and spoken with in this town. I do not wish to name him as he is in a precarious position, and I wish him no harm. I am hopeful you can help me locate him," She said in a rush of words.

"I am afraid I will need a better description than that if I am to help you locate him," Angus said reasonably.

"He has your eyes," she said pointedly looking directly at him to gauge his reaction.