Forever Valentine

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She laughed when I tasted it, and rolled my eyes. "Wow, I'm glad they made the trip. They're really good, and I love the way they melt in my mouth." Then, I don't even know why I said, it. But I leaned in and told her, "You know, you've got really pretty eyes. They're such a unique combination of blue and green." When she started chuckling, I said, "What's so funny?"

"I was just thinking that you've probably got the prettiest eyes I've ever seen, especially on a man, with those crazy long eyelashes. And they're such a gorgeous shade of bluish-gray, they put in mind of a wolf."

I just grinned, because lots of women had mentioned my wolfish eyes. "Apparently my father's eyes were the same color, but I wouldn't know. I've never met him. Don't even know his name." Geez. I don't even know why I told her that. Thankfully, she didn't look at me with pity like most people did, if they heard that I never knew my father.

She kind of fiddled with her cup as she shared a bit about her own life. "My mother's still alive, but I barely know her. She's kind of flighty, and left when I was a kid. She still sends me cards for my birthday and Christmas, but my dad and grandmother were the ones that raised me."

"I was lucky that way, because my mom was always there for me, at least until a couple of years ago when she passed away with cancer."

She looked so sad as she reached over and squeezed my hand. "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. I bet you were close, though."

Just thinking about my mom always made me smile. "Yeah, we were super close. She used to call us, 'The Two Musketeers.' I never really felt like I'd missed out on anything by not having a father, because she was such an amazing mother. We never had much, but she made sure I had everything I needed."

"Same with my dad, he was always there for me. And of course, I had my grandmother to help with anything that he didn't know how to handle."

"Then I guess in a way, we were both lucky."

She flashed me a smile. "I think we were."

Strange, but I already felt that I could trust her, and knew she wouldn't go blabbing about me all over town. And of course, anything she told me, would stay between the two of us.

I don't think I'd ever met anyone so easy to be with. Now I kind of hated to leave, but knew I'd better get back with lunch, before my crew started getting restless.

"Guess I should get some lunch, before they start wondering where I am. You should come by and see the house some time, before I put it up for sale."

"I might just do that." I put our cups on top of the counter, and she got in behind and asked, "So, what would like today?"

"I guess, just a mix of everything, like usual, with something vegetarian for Kate."

She nodded and started to put it together, while I took a glance around. The place was cute, and tidy, with some really striking looking photographs on the walls, of landscapes, people and animals. "Who took the pictures?"

She shrugged. "I did. I've always loved taking pictures from the time I was kid. And I've managed to sell the odd one, too."

I nodded, impressed. "Well, you're really talented. I should buy a few to brighten up my walls."

I loved the way she blushed, as she finished packing everything up. But I decided that next time I was in, I'd take a longer look, and pick out a few.

I noticed there were also a couple of shelves with condiments, jams, olives and pickles.

"Everything is locally made," she said, following my gaze. "A number of ladies in the area make some really good stuff."

I grabbed a few jars, deciding it might be nice to have some spicy olives and pickles in the fridge, now that I'd got it hooked up, and I was finally putting some food in the house.

"Make sure you put the coffee on the bill," I reminded her as she was ringing everything up.

"Oh, that was on the house," she said before she showed me the total.

I got her back though, by putting all the change in the tip jar again. She just shook her head at me, quietly laughing.

"Thanks for the coffee, Olivia. Guess I'll see you tomorrow." I gave her hand a little squeeze when she handed me the bags, and we were both smiling as I left.

I was just about to step out the door and I had to stop and hold it open for a busload of older ladies. They were all chattering away as they filed in one after the other, probably stopping in to pick up some lunch before they went off on some kind of excursion.

I could hear Olivia greeting a few of them by name, imagining she'd be popular with her customers.

Though I'd told myself I was only going to get some lunch, there was just something about her, that drew me in. She was just so nice to talk to, I knew we'd be having coffee again.

But when I got back to the house, if looks could kill, I would have been a dead man, judging by the daggers they were shooting me. I put the food on the table and carefully backed away, so the pack of them could dive in and grab their lunch.

Mika had torn off the paper on a sandwich and was just about to dig in, when he grinned and asked, "So, what was Livy wearing today?"

Funny, but I never really noticed, except that she was in a skirt, and had really shapely legs. But I was so bewitched by those blue-green eyes, that I couldn't think of much else.

"I'm not really sure," I said with a shrug. Then I looked around and narrowed my eyes on Mika, when I noticed that someone was missing. "I thought you said your cousin would be here today to work on the tile floors in the bathrooms."

"Uh, sorry, but he's not quite finished with his last job. But he texted and said he should be here tomorrow." He winced. "Hopefully... maybe sometime in the afternoon?"

I ran a hand over my face, shaking my head. Delays, delays, delays, nothing but delays. And I was hoping to have everything done by the beginning of March, so I could have the place listed for the spring. Then I could be out of here, and off doing what I'd always dreamed of.

He took a swallow from his water bottle, and pointed it at me. "I know it's probably none of my business. But if you weren't trying so hard to bring this place back to what it once was, we'd be finished by now. I mean, do you really need to try and match the marble and the old floor tiles in the bathrooms, when no one would know the difference. And I don't know why you're bringing someone in to repair the old plaster walls, when we could just patch and sand anything that it needs it, or even throw up some sheetrock. And you can't really expect the hardwood floors to look the same as they did, the day they were first put in. To be honest, I don't know if anyone else would care, or even notice how much work you've put into this place."

I took a step closer and looked him in the eye. "I want it to look good, and not just okay, when I try and sell it. And I don't think it's fair to just cover up the problems and hand them off to someone else. I just want everything done right, okay?"

Mika looked around and shrugged. "If you ask me, I think it's a beautiful old house, just as it is. And I'm sure anyone who's interested will appreciate all the workmanship that's gone into it, even if everything's not a perfect match to what was first installed, probably a hundred years ago."

I didn't really want to get into my reasons for wanting the place put back to what it was. But since I'd hired his cousin, I expected him to show up and do his job, so I could finally get everything done.

"Well, I just hope your cousin shows up tomorrow, because we've still got a lot to do to get this place ready to sell."

Shaking his head, Mika wandered off, probably thinking I was crazy.

He didn't have to tell me. I knew it would have been easier to do a half-ass job, slap a coat of paint on the walls, and put it up for sale. But I just couldn't do it. Since I'd started this project, the place had kind of grown on me. And now that I was about to hand it over to someone else, I wanted it to look it's best before I turned my back on it and walked away, almost like I owed it something.

**

Next day, when I climbed out of my truck in front of Olivia's Café, I was telling myself that I had too much to do to spend any time with my cute little coffee date.

But the moment I walked in and saw Olivia's face light up with a smile, my resolve crumpled like a cheap suit, and I found myself smiling like a fool right back at her.

"Hey, have a taste of this, and see what you think," she said, coming around to meet me, holding out a freshly baked cookie.

I knew darn well that she meant for me to reach for it, but just for fun, I opened my mouth and smirked as she fed it to me. When I made a point of lashing out my tongue and licking her fingers, she just rolled her eyes and laughed. I liked that she was playful and had a good sense of humor and didn't seem to mind me teasing her.

"Hmmm, that is good. What kind is it?"

She shrugged. "Just something I made up: oatmeal with apple, drizzled caramel and chopped walnuts."

I nodded as I swallowed. "I'd say you've got a winner."

That made her smile, made me smile, too, to see her pretty face lighting up.

"So, what would like today, Tanner?"

I found myself eyeing her lips, knowing I'd love to have a taste, but I kind of laughed to myself, knowing damn well they wouldn't be on the menu.

Before I could answer, she was rhyming off what she'd made. Once she was done, I couldn't have told you what she'd said, because I'd gotten so lost staring at her lips. I shrugged. "It all sounds good. I'll take a little of everything, as long there's something veggie for Kate."

"Coming up."

I got the drinks, and watched her work, noticing that she moved with the grace of a dancer.

She looked up and smiled into my eyes, and I swore it felt like a punch to the gut. I knew I shouldn't be interested, but damn, there was just something about her that got my motor revving. And considering I hadn't given it a chance to rev in a really long time, I figured there was no harm in just looking. And maybe dreaming a bit too, of what it might be like with her, if I were interested in starting something. Which of course, I wasn't.

She got my attention, and snapped me out of it when she smiled and said, "I'm adding a couple of complimentary cookies in this little white bag for you, since you seemed to like them."

"Thanks," I said, smiling back.

I had just handed her the money to pay for lunch, and the bell over the door rang, and I heard someone walking in behind me. I could tell from the look on her face that she wasn't too happy about it though, especially when she quietly muttered, "Oh, no," as he strode in.

Still, she managed to pull off a smile, and said, "Oh, hi Edward, I'll be right with you."

I don't know why, but I disliked him on sight. One of those preppy looking jerks, with a button-down shirt and school tie, and of course perfectly polished shoes. Guy probably never did an honest day's work in life. And the look on his face was so smug, even after she'd handed me my change, and I put it in the tip jar, I decided to hang around for a bit and see what he was up with him.

I wandered over to the cooler, and pretended to be looking for something in back, when I heard him say, "The Valentine's dinner is coming up. I know last year you'd already made plans with your friends. But this year, I went ahead and bought us tickets."

"Um..." I could tell she didn't want to go with him, and was trying to think of an excuse that he'd believe.

I could hardly believe my ears when I cleared my throat and piped up, "Actually, she's going with me."

He turned and looked at me, like I'd grown an extra head. His nose in the air, he looked me up and down, and said, "I don't believe I know you."

I shrugged. "No, I don't think you do." I didn't bother to tell him who I was, even though he seemed to be waiting for me to do the polite thing and at least offer my name.

I could see the smile in her eyes as Olivia played along. "Sorry Edward, but he already asked me last week. And I agreed to go with him."

"But I just bought a new tux!" His veneer of civility vanished, and he looked pretty annoyed as he narrowed his eyes on her. Now I understood why she didn't want to go with him. I had a feeling it wouldn't take much for him to fly off the handle if something wasn't going his way.

To soften the blow, she said, "I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding another date, Edward."

Furious, he glared us both down, spun on his heel and stomped out the door, slamming it behind him.

Olivia heaved a sigh of relief as soon as he'd left. "Thanks for jumping in like that, Tanner."

"I didn't mind." I was just glad to help her get rid of him. Flashing a grin, I suggested, "And who knows, we might have fun together."

"Oh, you really don't have to go. I know you were just trying to save me from having to go with..." She pointed out the door, wrinkling her nose, "...him."

"Honestly, I wouldn't mind going. I've been working so hard on the house I don't really get out much."

"If, you're sure. Otherwise, I can just go with some friends, like last year."

I covered her hand with mine and said, "I'm sure. And I'm actually looking forward to it."

She flashed me the prettiest smile. "Then thank you, Tanner."

Though I was glad I'd done my good deed for the day and got that smug asshole Edward off her case, I was already wondering what the hell I'd just done by asking her out.

Driving back to the house with lunch sitting on the seat beside me, I wanted to kick myself.

Thanks to my big fat mouth, I now had a date with the one woman I knew I shouldn't even be talking to. And now I had to go and find a damn tux to wear to this thing.

Still, wondering what she'd look like dressed for a night out, kind of had me smiling as I turned into the driveway of the old place.

Though I was still muttering under my breath, "What a dumb ass," as I grabbed the lunch bags off the front seat, knowing I'd have to go shopping, which was something I was never into. Mostly, because when I was a kid, my mother could never afford to buy us anything, so I never got into the habit of looking for clothes, especially anything dressy.

As annoyed as I was with myself, I couldn't deny that I was already looking ahead. Hoping that Olivia would wear something slinky enough to finally let me get a look at those curves she always had hidden behind her apron.

OLIVIA

I was bundling up a pot of beef barley soup, tucking it into a thermal cooler to take to the men's shelter, when I looked up surprised to see Tanner walking in, right at closing time.

"Hey," he said, with his usual teasing grin. "I just realized that I'll need to get some tickets if we're going to this Valentine's dinner."

"I sell them here. But since you were kind enough to bail me out, I'd be happy to get them."

"No, I'm the one that invited you, remember."

"Well, they're a hundred dollars each."

"No problem." He got out his wallet and placed a couple hundred-dollar bills on the counter.

As I handed him the tickets, I explained, "It's for cardiovascular research. My dad died from a heart attack, and so did his mother. So, I go every year, hoping my little contribution might help."

"Sounds like a worthy cause. Sorry to hear about your family, though."

I nodded, feeling a little sad as I thought about them. "Yeah, I worked side by side with my dad since I was in my teens, and he taught me everything I know." I shrugged, looking around my little cafe. "And when he died, he left everything to me."

"So, I'm guessing you were an only child?"

"Yep, just me. From what I heard, I don't think my mother could have handled a second pregnancy, even if she had stuck around."

"Yeah, my mother only had me. And she never really dated anyone after I was born."

We had a lot in common, which was probably why I found him so easy to talk to. I smirked to myself, thinking that it also didn't hurt that he was pretty easy on the eyes.

"I know you've probably put everything away. So, I was going to offer to buy you dinner. Unless, you've already eaten."

I nodded at the cooler. "I was just going to drop off some soup at the shelter, and grab a bite to eat while I'm out."

"Do you like Chinese food?"

"I love it. Though I usually order in."

"Then why don't we drop off the soup, and we can pick some up, and have it my place. I thought I'd let you have a look at the old house before I sell it."

"Oh, I'd love to see it." I didn't mind going to have a look with him, because I didn't really think of it as a date, more like two friends hanging out and having a bite together. At least that's what I told myself.

We pulled into the laneway behind the shelter, and Tanner offered to carry the cooler to the back door for me. After they'd thanked us, gave us another empty cooler and we waved goodbye, we headed into town to pick up some dinner.

"How often do you drop food off there?" He asked, looking across at me, when we'd stopped at a red light.

"Usually every night. They've got a lot of men to feed, and every little bit helps. I know a few other restaurants in the area help out, too."

He reached for my hand and covered it with his. "That's nice of you."

"Well, my dad always did what he could, and I'm just following in his footsteps."

He flashed me a smile and tugged at my hand. "I'd say you're a very kind-hearted lady, Olivia."

"Now you're gonna make me blush."

Thankfully, he had his turn signal on to drive into the parking lot of the restaurant, so I had a moment to try and compose myself.

"You want to come in and order with me?"

"Sure. Though, I eat almost anything."

"Me, too."

I couldn't believe how much he ordered, but I imagined he was probably pretty hungry after working hard all day.

"I think we might have gotten too much," I said, as he carted the two big bags back to his truck. And I had to fight not to laugh, watching him try to squeeze everything in behind the front seats.

He chuckled. "No worries. If I leave it in the fridge, the way my crew eats, I can guarantee whatever's left will be gone the moment they find it."

All I knew was that the delicious aroma of stir-fried garlic and ginger wafting up from behind us, had my stomach growling so loud, that I hoped he wouldn't notice.

He grinned, looking over at me as he turned up the long driveway. "Sounds like somebody's hungry."

"Actually, I'm starved. And it smells so good I can hardly wait to dig in."

"Yeah, I'm pretty hungry, too. Who knows, maybe we'll polish everything off tonight."

I finally looked up at the house and back at him, when I realized where we were. "I didn't know you bought Alice McRae's house."

"You knew my grandmother?" He looked at me, surprised.

When I realized what he'd said, I couldn't believe who he actually was. "I never knew Alice that had any grandchildren. Though I'd heard she had a daughter that disappeared."

"That would be my mother, Anne. She couldn't live at home anymore, once she found out she was pregnant with me. I think my grandmother was too ashamed to have anyone find out that her daughter was having a baby out of wedlock."

"Well, she was considered a pillar of the community and quite religious. I remember she always sat in the front row of the church, and was kind of..."

"Snobby?"

Laughing a little, I tried to think of a more diplomatic way to put it. "She just had kind of had an air about her that let everyone know that she came from a fairly privileged background."

"I'm not surprised. Apparently, her family were quite wealthy in their own right and my grandfather's family were really well off; into things like oil and transportation. Though I don't think my mother ever saw a dime while she was trying to raise me on her own." He nodded at the house. "We should go in and eat, before it gets cold."

123456...8