Frankie's Story Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
markelly
markelly
2,579 Followers

"Why do you wish to put yourself through this? Walk away from this, read about it in the papers the next day. Your therapist is happy with your progress. I just fear two steps back rather than a step forward."

"Please be by my side, hold me as we watch her win the award, as many think she will."

I couldn't deny her, she was Red. My own misgivings had to be placed in the darkest part of my mind. She felt me nod my head and even held me tighter, if that was at all possible.

*******

Tonight was the night of the Academy Awards; Red had taken the evening off from the gym and handed her class to one of the other fitness instructors. Frankie was with her folks for the week and I held onto Red. It seemed that Caroline Atkins was indeed one of those nominated for the Best Actress Award for the first of the two films but was also widely tipped to win it.

Red feared that once again she or the studio would stir up something. Mathew was also watching everything closely as the list dwindled toward the nominations for Best Actress. All four actresses nominated were being watched by millions when the envelope was opened and Caroline's name was read aloud. The applause was deafening and the commentator had to raise her voice to be heard. We watched as the films director leaned over and whispered something into Caroline's ear.

Even the applause didn't stir her from her seat. Again, the director leaned in and said something to her, finally she nodded her head and slowly walked to the stage and the podium. She was hugged by some actor that I hadn't seen or heard from in years and actually thought he was dead, before the actor handed her the Award and the crowd slowly sat down and the applause dissipated.

For some time, Caroline simply looked at the object in her hand before she sat it on the podium and looked out towards the crowd. It was then we both feared the worst.

"Please don't do this."

I looked at Red, her eyes locked on the person clearly looking out of place behind the podium. Finally, Caroline spoke and her voice broke as she did, she looked behind her and a stagehand came on with a glass of water. She thanked him and drank half the glass before she put the glass down and looked once again at the statue in front of her.

"You know we all look on this as the pinnacle of our achievements in this industry, to be the best of our piers, even if it's just for a short time."

Caroline once again picked up the statue and looked at it closely.

"Please don't do this."

"I should be proud as I hold this, yet to feel pride means I have to actually feel an emotion. This person standing here holding this, shouldn't even be here."

The director for that night clearly knew what Caroline was going to do, and used two of the cameras in the room to gauge the emotions of the people listening to her. The director divided the screen and while keeping Caroline on one-half of the TV screen, used the other half to move from person to person in the audience.

"Everyone knows of the accident on the second film and a very special person, who without a thought for her own safety protected me and kept me safe while she herself was badly injured as a result."

It was almost time to go to commercial, they knew if they did that Caroline would simply leave and the millions watching would be screaming at the television company for allowing it.

"Please don't do this."

Red was just as transfixed as everyone else. As I held her close to me, she refused to take her eyes off the screen.

"Even as the film was finished and the studio decided to give their special thanks to that one brave soul that did more in that moment of heroism and protected me as the flames engulfed her, causing third degree burns to the top half of her body."

Once again, she paused, taking sips from the glass of water. The director was pleading with the television company to allow this to continue, the commercial break would destroy what was looking to be the scoop of the century.

"Please don't do this."

"The world woke up that day to the news that I had survived while to many, an insignificant soul, was placed in a coma to protect her sanity as her body screamed in agony that that one act of bravery had caused."

As Caroline once again looked out towards the audience she spotted the live feed on one of the screens, on the other half of the same screen a woman in her fifties was dabbing a tissue to her eye.

"She didn't wake up one morning and decide she wanted to be famous, her comfort zone was the other side of the cameras. She never thought that one act of saving her friends life would cost her so dearly, yet it did and she has to carry that reminder with her every waking moment."

"Please don't do this."

The television company bowed to the pressure of the commercials and ordered the director to count down. He had forty-five seconds and he prayed like hell that Caroline had said what she needed to say by then.

Caroline held the statue up high.

"This isn't mine. I'm simply up here to collect this for the person who does deserve it."

The director, acting on instinct made Caroline full screen as she looked directly into the camera.

"I promised I would leave you in peace, I will get this to you my friend and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for my life and I'm so desperately sorry for everything."

The audience stood and to ear splitting applause, Caroline stood to one side of the podium and nodded her head towards the camera one last time before walking off. Five seconds later the station went to commercial and the director clenched his fist and screamed 'YES'.

End of Chapter Nine.

markelly
markelly
2,579 Followers