Her Best Smile

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Looking shocked, he slowly placed his arms around Marie and hugged her back. He closed his eyes as they swelled from the warm feeling of the little girls hugged; I love you two, sweet pea."

Lydia's eyes swelled at that moment because she started falling for the man.

For the next three weeks, Jim came by and coached his future Hall of Famer.

Friday night, the phone rang, "Hey girlfriend, It's Emily."

"Hey, Emily. Great to hear from you. What can I do for you?

"I was wondering. Have you seen Jim lately? He hasn't been here in weeks."

"I only see him when he comes here on Saturdays and coaches Marie. So why, what's the matter?"

"Nothing that I know of, but he normally comes in three to four times a week. Or are you taking up his time?"

Lydia sighed and replied, "Nope, afraid not. He stays on Saturdays after working with Marie. We talk a little, and he leaves. He's a pretty broken man. But your right about one thing."

"What's that?" replied Emily.

"I do like him. But he doesn't show any interest in me at all."

"I want to ask you a favor," said Emily. "Keep an eye on him for me. He really is one of the good ones."

"Sure, I'll keep you informed." Lydia hung up her phone. Chuckling, "That little bitch just wants me to be around him. And she's right; I do like him. A lot."

Saturday afternoon. Jim walked into the house after an afternoon of coaching to see Lydia sitting at the table reading.

Jim announced, "We're through for today. I'll catch you next week. She's so excited about playing on a softball team that she can hardly contain herself."

Lydia laid her book down, looked up at Jim, and smiled at Jim. I need a favor, Jim."

"Well," he replied. "I have one to ask also for a favor. You are first."

Nervously biting her lower lip, she sighed. Then took a deep breath and quickly spoke. "Iwantyoutotakemetodinnernext--- Friday night." She stopped and waited for Jim to take it in.

He sat there, not replying.

She went on, "I know you don't have a lot of money, so I was thinking Dutch—nothing romantic, just as friends. You can pick me up next Saturday night. What's your favorite food?" Taking a drink of her pop, waiting on his reply.

"OOOkayyy. Now mine," he replied. "They removed the restraining order. So I can now see the kids unsupervised."

Lydia smirked(knowing why he got the restraining order removed) and replied, "That's wonderful, Jim. So, you get to see your kids without being monitored."

"It's not as wonderful as you think. I live in a cheap one-bedroom apartment in a not-so-nice part of town. I have nowhere to take the kids; they can't sleep in my apartment or be at my grandmother's house anymore.

"Linda was being such a bitch. Even both sets of parents couldn't tolerate it anymore, so they moved to Florida. They feel bad for the grandkids. But they couldn't condone her new lifestyle with douche' bag.

"On weekends, I stop by in the morning, and we spend the time I can with them. I usually sit in the car and wait for them to run out. So that limits my interactions with those two as much as possible.

"The only reason they removed the restraining order was that it was their way of getting the kids out of the house so they could do their thing."

Lydia didn't correct his assumption. "So, what's the favor, Jim? What do you want me to do for you?"

Jim pursed his lips, "I was wondering if you would come to Willow Park tomorrow so my son Tommy can throw with Marie? He's inaccurate with his pitches and throws a little harder than her teammates. I think it would help her with her play."

Lydia smiled. "Jim, we'll be there for you. Willow Park, that's off Pacific and 132nd, right?"

"Yeah, that's the one. Thanks." He replied.

Xxxx

Sunday afternoon, Jim stood in a small field throwing the ball back and forth with his son, Tommy.

Jim looked up and saw Lydia walking toward him, waving with Marie running ahead. Lydia dressed in a yellow spaghetti strap Sundress. Through the outline of her dress, it was the first time he noticed her curvy figure.

"Mr. Jim, Mr. Jim, we're here," Marie enthusiastically declared to the whole park. Tommy stood there in shock at her screaming.

"Come here, Marie," Chuckled Jim, "I want to introduce you two to my son Tommy. Tommy, this is Mrs. Lawson.

Tommy stuck his hand out to shake Lydia's, "Hello. Nice to meet you."

Lydia smiled, "Well, aren't you a gentleman? It's nice to meet you, Tommy. Your dad didn't tell me you were so handsome, Tommy blushed. "By the way, you can call me Lydia."

Jim interrupted, "No, he can't. You can call her Mrs. Lawson or Ms. Lydia."

Marie jumped in front of her mother and stuck her hand out, and spoke. "Hi, I'm Marie." Tommy jerked his hand back and did a slight wave at her.

Marie looked up at Jim and took off her new ball cap. "Look, Mr. Jim, my team's new ball cap. I'm a Giant now."

Jim took it into his hands, smiled, looked at it, and placed it back on her head. Then, he jerked the cap bill over her eyes, "I guess I'm a Giants fan now."

She pulled it back over her eyes and asked, "Will you come to one of my games? We play our first game in three weeks?"

Jim nodded and replied to her request, "I'll be there. Just let me know the time and date. Now you go out with Tommy, and you two throw for a while. Looking over at Tommy, "She's new to playing. Don't throw it too hard."

"Yes, sir, I won't." So, they headed out to the field.

He turned to Lydia, "Come on, I'll introduce you to my daughter, Emma." As they walked toward Emma, Jim sighed. "I don't know what's going on, but she has to be one of the unhappiest little girls in the world. So, I'm warning you don't expect a warm welcome from her."

"Emma, this is a friend of mine, Marie's Mom." Emma looked up from her phone, staring at them through her purple bangs. And scoffed and went back to her phone.

Suddenly both heard a loud little girl scream. They turned to see Marie on her knees, crying. Jim and Lydia took off toward Marie.

"Dad, Dad, I swear I didn't throw the ball hard. I swear she turned her head just as I released it. She looked over when someone yelled. I yelled for her to look out. By the time she looked back, it was too late. I'm sorry."

Jim pushed him away and replied gruffly, "Get away from her, "Tommy."

Tommy started tearing up, trying to explain to his dad, "I didn't mean to hit her."

Lydia grabbed Tommy and pulled him back. Bending down in front of him. He started wiping the tears from his eyes with the palm of his hands."

Lydia smiled motherly; "It's ok, Tommy, it was an accident. Jim is worried about Marie." She pulled him to her for a comforting hug. She noticed Tommy was in no hurry to release her.

Jim helped Marie stand up as she cried. "Let me see Marie. Take your hand from your eye, and let me take a look."

"No, no." she whimpered. "I don't want to play no more. I want to go home, Momma."

Jim stood up and towered over her. "No, you're not young, lady. You're staying right here. You can't quit whenever your feelings get hurt. And when life smacks you in the face and gives you black eyes.

"If you quit now, then leaving gets easier and easier every time it happens. Pretty soon, you'll stay in your room, and life will pass you by. Look at all the fun you'll miss out on.

"Life is too short, honey. You don't want to miss one moment of it. Look at all the life experiences you'll miss out on. Making new friends. Not knowing what it feels like to win and lose a ball game. Yes, even losing is good for you. It helps you learn to overcome obstacles placed in front of you.

"You're going to get hurt playing softball and in life. So, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, get mad, and become even more determined that nothing makes you quit."

"How's the pain now?" he asked.

Sobbing, "It's not as bad." she replied.

"It'll be over before you know it, and it won't even be a memory. Let me take a looked at that eye." Jim closely examined it and started laughing, "Oh, young lady. You're going to have a beautiful black eye at school Monday."

She smiled started and replied," Really! I always wanted one of those. I can't wait to show it to my classmates. Look, Momma, I got a black eye."

Lydia laughed, "I see it, honey; it'll be a beauty. We'll put some ice on it when we get home."

Lydia leaned over to Jim and whispered, "I'm sure I'll be getting a call from the school tomorrow questioning what happened."

Jim looked at Tommy." It's ok, son, it was an accident." Marie. What do I always tell you?

"I know, I know." she sighed.

She and Tommy replied at the same time, "Keep your eyes on the ball."

"You two walk over there and stand next to each other. I'll throw the ball to the both of you for a while."

Lydia watched for a moment to ensure Marie was ok and headed toward Emma.

Lydia sat next to her so she could keep an eye on Marie.

Emma asked, "Are you fucking my dad?"

Lydia spat out the Diet Coke she was drinking thru her nose. "What did she say?" as she choked.

Emma stared at Lydia, waiting for her answer. "Oh, come on. Us women can tell." I see how you look at him."

Lydia chuckles inside. "No, I have not," replied Lydia. "And yes, I like him as a friend. Your dad is quite a remarkable man."

"It must not be too remarkable. Mom says he couldn't get over his little snit, or she would have let him move home. She told me the other day she would dump Marc in a heartbeat and forgive Dad if he came home."

Lydia listened intently to the bullshit Linda fed her child. Then, she carefully pursed her words in her reply, "I like your father. No, we haven't dated, kissed, or been intimate. But I think what is happening in your family should be your and your parent's business.

"We've become friends, well, sort of. When you become a parent, you'll learn that you will like anyone who treats your kids kindly." She stopped, hoping it wouldn't go any further.

After silence, Lydia continued, "But if you need a friend, I'm a good listener. Finally, Lydia turned to watch the kids, and Jim threw the ball back and forth.

A few minutes later, "I know what they did to my father. "They think I'm stupid.

I'm a nerd. I can find things on the web. Especially after you hear every one of the girls in school laughing behind your back that your mom's a slut. And all boys want me to do is get a signed autograph of their God, the asshat Marc LaValliere.

"Mom told me my dad got mad at us and left one day. Of course, we loved Dad, and we missed him. But, as bad as I felt, Tommy suffered more. He Idealized our father.

"We couldn't see our grandparents anymore because they always fought with her; Mom seemed mad at everybody.

"After my grandparents quit coming over, Tommy felt all alone. At first, I liked Marc. He was pleasant and treated us great. We got to travel and go on fantastic trips all the time. Eventually, we moved into his house, or should I say mansion.

We got to go to ball games as his guest; They had a VIP booth for the players' families. So, it is exciting to sit with rich people. Unfortunately, he wanted us to call him Dad. We couldn't do it. He was nothing like our dad.

"Mom got furious about that and screamed and yelled at us. Finally, Marc stopped her, and he said he understood.

"When I was about eleven, I started noticing comments about my Mom at games about what she did to my Dad. I wasn't sure what most of it meant at the time.

"When I turned twelve, I started middle school. Then, I heard more about my mom and Marc behind my back from those fake bitches at school.

"I read everything I could find online about what happened to my dad. I couldn't believe it. No wonder my dad hated us, or at least I thought that. I decided not to tell Tommy. He wouldn't have understood anyway. I hate to think when he gets older and hears this about Mom from his friends.

"When we heard about having to see Dad, Mom said the court said we had to, and she couldn't stop it. We were scared of him when we first saw him. We thought he still hated us. We felt at the time the courts were making him do it.

"The Social Worker and a policeman were with us the first few times. We were terrified the first time we met him. But we were surprised after we saw him tear up and stick out his hand to introduce himself. Dad had gotten down on his knees and grabbed us crying, telling us how much he loved us and missed us. It took us a few times after that to get reacquainted.

"I later discussed it with Tommy, and he agreed Mom had not been honest with us. Our dad was just like we remembered. But he looked really old and tired. But lately, he seems a lot better.

Lydia turned back around to see Emma in a 1000-mile stare. Emma continued, "I hate them." Lydia took Emma's hands as Emma spoke. "They weren't happy about the judge allowing visitation.

"The first Wednesday he came to visit, they were cruel. Mom went down the stairs in a blue dress. And when Dad saw her, he took off, ran into the bathroom, and threw up. After that, all she did was laugh at him.

"Later, all his friends showed up to go out dancing. They snickered, laughed, and called him a cuckold.

"Dee was laughing the loudest, along with the women's husbands. Only Jane looked at him with pity. She knocked on the bathroom door and asked if he was ok. He asked her to go away.

"I was awake that night when they came home. It was around one. I snuck out of my room and stood around the corner of the hallway when Marc and Mom came in. She laughed and asked if he wanted to join them in the bedroom. Dad squeezed his fist, and his face went beet red. I thought he was going to hit them.

"I can't go to the pool when Marc's friends are over. So, I'm basically a prisoner in my room. They stare at me and whisper. They're a bunch of pervs."

Lydia's hair bristled on the back of her neck. She asked, "Has anyone ever touched you inappropriately?"

"No, they haven't. Marc has made it quite clear if anyone looks at me sideways, he'd kill them."

Lydia took her hands, "If anyone ever touches you, come to me first; my brothers are cops. And not because I don't want your father to know. He has a hair-trigger temper right now. And without waiting for any information, he'll go after them. So, for now, come to me, then I'll go to your father. We don't want Jim to end up in prison again.

"My brothers are cops. And we'll go to them. And for God's sake, don't you dare make a false accusation. Because if it happens for real, and you lied about it before, no one will believe you. Also, just between us women, men will stare at you when you're beautiful as we are."

"I'm not beautiful," Emma sighed, "I'm a computer geek."

There is nothing wrong with geeks; my son Steven is one. He is a big-time gamer."

"Yeah, what games does he play," asked Emma, as she cracked a small smile.

Lydia shook her head and replied, "I have no clue what he plays, but he's a great computer geek."

"I like to meet him," Emma replied. "And woman to woman, my dad likes you too.

"Can I ask you what happened to my mom? I remember when they were married, and she loved him to death. What changed in my mom?

"I don't know, Honey. All I know is your dad is a great guy; Maybe someday you can figure it out, she replied in a sympathetic voice. I'll tell you what. I'll give you my cell phone number. I'm here for you anytime you want to talk.

"Well, as soon as I'm 14, I will ask Uncle LW to help me go live with my dad.

"Hey ladies," yelled Jim, anybody up for pizza? I'm buying."

Marie approached them as they returned to the cars and asked, "Momma, can I ride with Tommy?"

Lydia inspected her little girl's shiner, slowly developing in her eye, "Yes, dear. If it's ok with Mr. Jim."

"You can ride with us," he replied. The parents looked over to see the anguish come across Tommy's face as he groaned.

"I'll take Emma with me," said Lydia as they were near the parking lot.

Jim was curious and asked, "I saw you two talking. Anything particular."

She replied with a deadpan look, "No, nothing particular. She asked me if I fucked you yet."

Jim's eyes popped open, "I'm so sorry. I'll have a talk with that young lady. I taught her better than that."

"Don't you dare snapped Lydia." She needs a friend—someone with whom she can convey her deepest thoughts and emotions.

"Or would you rather it be some older boy? Jim, I want to be her friend. Please don't say a word to her about this. I know it was woman-to-woman talk. But I can tell you this; she needs to see a counselor."

"Tommy needs one too, Jim," sighed Lydia, "maybe even more." When I hugged him, he didn't want to let go. It was like he was craven affection.

Emma can verbalize herself. I don't know Tommy well enough, and I could be wrong, but I can feel it as a mother. So please don't chance it, Jim. Get him help."

Jim ran her hand threw his hair. He took a big gulp of air and slowly blew it out," I get them to help

Arriving at the cars," Let's meet at Pasquale's Pizza in Sinclair. And thanks for looking out after her."

Xxxx

After dinner the following Friday night. Lydia handed Jim a beer and sat cozying up next to Jim to talk. As the night went on, she kept shifting closer to Jim, pinning him against the armrest of the davenport.

She leaned over to kiss Jim when she looked up to see Steven angrily staring at her. He huffed, turned, and headed toward the kitchen.

Pots started slamming around. With disappointment in her voice, "Excuse me, Jim. I need to see what's going on. Please don't go anywhere. I'll be right."

"Steven, what are you doing?" asked Lydia.

"What's that douchebag doing here?" snarled Steven.

Lydia begged, "SSSSHHHHHH, he might hear you."

"I don't give a fuck. We don't need him, mon. I'll take care of you. If you need sex, Mom, call Dad and beg him to return. Besides, that asshole is probably molesting Marie. You don't see it, Mom."

Slap! came from the kitchen. Fuck you, Mom," yelled Steven as he ran out the kitchen door.

Lydia looked up with tears streaming from her eyes to see a sympathetic Jim staring back at her.

He said, "I better be going. Call me when Marie has her first game."

"Jim, don't go," she quietly yelled as she heard the front door open and close.

Xxxx

Monday Morning, Lydia's phone rang. Lydia. It's Jim."

"Hey, Jim. Great to hear from you. Marie missed you this weekend."

"I missed her too," he replied in a very monotone voice. "I need to ask you a favor."

"Yeah, sure. What do you need?" Questioned Lydia.

"You helped Emma last week. I want to pick up Steven after school this afternoon. I think I can help him with his anger issue. If you can trust me, I have an idea that should take care of the problem."

Hesitantly she replied. "He gets out a three. Do you know what school he attends?"

"Yea, I believe I heard you say it's Westside High School."

I'll call the school and have them tell Steven that I will give him a ride and pick him up at 3:30 this afternoon, but instead, you'll pick him up."

That afternoon all the cars had come and gone from the lot when Jim pulled and rolled down the passenger side window.

"What are you doing here, asshole? Picking up little girls," snorted Steven.

Jim looked at him. He wanted so badly to get out of his car and spank the petulant lad. "I'll make you a deal if you go with me. I'll promise I'll never see your mother except to watch her sister's softball games. I promised her to do that already," explained Jim. "Deal?"

"How do I know you'll keep your word?"

"I've never broken my word in my life after I grew up to be a man," snapped Jim. "A real man never breaks his word. Ask anybody I know. If I tell you I'll do something, I will," Jim barked at him.

Steven grabbed the door and got in. It was a quiet ride.