Her Best Smile

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What's this place?" asked Steven.

"It's a friend of mine's home," replied Jim. "You'll like her. She's an old friend of the family." They drove past the sign that displayed the Shady Grove Retirement Community.

Jim and Steven walked into a large room full of elderly retirees. He looked around the room until he saw the lady he was looking for. She was looking out the back window staring at the trees blowing in the slight breeze.

Jim walked behind her and quietly said, "Hey, Mrs. Polly. How are you doing?"

She snapped out of her daze with a startled look. And then the biggest smile came across your face. "Jim, you scared me. You almost gave me a heart attack. Now get down here and hug an old woman."

Jim reached down, hugged, and kissed Polly on the cheek."

"Oh, Jim, you snuck that kiss in there, didn't you? You old dog," Polly said with a gleaming smile.

"Yes, I did. Maybe you'd like to have one on your lips," chuckled Jim.

"I would love it, but I doubt that wife of yours probably would like it," she giggled.

"I'll divorce her, come get you, and we'll elope," teased Jim.

"I love to, but we have pudding tonight," Jim chuckled.

"Speaking of your wife. Where's Linda? She's such a lovely soul. I really like her. You did well, Jim, when you married that girl.--------You better make sure you keep ahold of her; she's one in a million.

"I know a lot of other men who would love to have her. But I always knew she would make you a wonderful wife and a great mother for your children."

"She's doing fine, Miss Polly. I'll tell her what you said," smiled Jim. Steven stood watching Jim interact with his friend.

Miss Pearl looked up at the tall, handsome boy watching their interactions. Jim, who is this, Tommy? He's grown up to be a good-looking young man. Oh, if I was only 50 years younger." Steven blushed.

Jim chuckled at Steven's discomfort. "Miss Pearl, I want to introduce you to a friend of mine's son, Steven. I was taking him home when I decided to swing by and say hello."

"Please, Steven sits down next to me," she said. Patting the cushion on the davenport, indicating where she would like Steven to sit. He hesitantly sat down.

She took his hand, turned to him, and said, "You have beautiful eyes, young man. They're so blue and remind me of my grandson's eyes.

Smiling, "But you know what?" I have three granddaughters; I think they would like you too. They're your age."

Tommy asked. "What're their names, and where do they go to school? Then, I might know them."

She smiled, "No honey, you wouldn't. They don't live around here anymore."

"How do they visit you if they don't?" he asked

"They don't. Over the years, their parents moved away, and I stayed here. So, the only visitors I get from time to time are the nieces and nephews. All my sisters and brothers have passed away, but their kids come by occasionally, and we visit."

"How could they leave you like that? You're their mother," an outraged Steven replied. "I would visit my mother every day."

She sighed, "Steven, my husband, passed away when I was in my early 40's, and he was 55. He was a great husband and father and my best friend. And my kids were outraged when I tried to bring someone else into our lives. It was so bad I eventually gave up. I dated at times but had to do it behind their backs. It was easier than fighting them.

"My boys told me they would always take care of me. I didn't need anyone else but them. So for the last 20 years, I have been by myself." Steven could see the loneliness in her eyes.

She continued her story, "When It came time that I couldn't take care of myself, they put me here. I had been sick for a while and couldn't live alone.

"Don't get me wrong; this is an excellent place to live but not my home. But, nevertheless, they all promised to visit me, take me to their homes for the holidays, and on vacations with them. And all the Grandkids vowed to see me once a week.

"But over time, they grew and broadened their horizons. And to tell you bluntly, they've forgotten me except for the occasional card for Christmas and my birthday. Other than those times, I never hear from them. Out of sight our mind,"

Incensed at this, Steven asked, "Well, what about your children, their parents? Where are they? Why aren't they here more?"

"Honey, I told you earlier. They moved as they got older, were promoted in their jobs, and were forced to move."

"One's a surgeon at John Hopkins Hospital. One's a CEO of a company out West. My daughter married an officer in the military. They are get stationed all over the world.

"I raised my children to take care of themselves and their families. It's not their job to take care of me. You'll understand when you grow up and have children of your own. Now look around and tell me what you see."

Steven glanced around and studied the room, "Well, Miss Polly, I see a TV...."

"No, Steven, the people. Tell me about the people. Well, a bunch of people like you. Mostly ladies but a few men."

"Yes, Steven, you are correct. This is where people come to sit and die." Steven winced when she said that.

"Most of us could be at home if we were still married. Then, if we fell, our companions could get us help. We could have nurses come in daily to check up on our welfare. But if we have an emergency and fall unconscious, our mates could call 911.

"Look at their faces, Steven. They're all lonely. We all look forward to the holidays to share grand and great-grandkids with each other. But they eventually leave, and we're back to being alone.

"If you go to the other wing, it is for married residents. Look at the difference in how they act. We are pretty much the same age. But they act years younger. The loneliness is terrible sometimes, and I wish I wouldn't wake up in the morning sometimes.

Steven's eyes started to water. She turned to Jim, "Jim, I hate for you to go, but the cafeteria is about to start serving dinner. They'll run out of pudding if I don't arrive early."

She turned and gave Steven a small, motherly smile, "Come by and see me some time. I'm not going anywhere. Now could you make my day and hug an old woman?"

Steven reached over and reached around her. She felt so frail, wrapped in his arms. She hugged him harder than he did. She reminded him of his grandmothers,

She turned to Jim," Now, your turn. He bent over and gave her another hug. Then, he turned, gave her a quick peck on the lips, and pulled away with a mischievous grin.

"Young man, wait till I see your mother. She then winked at him. "Only," she said.

Xxxx

It was a quiet walk back to the car. Jim pulled out of the parking lot, heading toward Steven's home. Steven asked. "Why didn't you tell her you divorced your wife?"

Jim sighed. "She is a lifelong family friend of my grandmother. She thought Linda walked on water; There was no reason to ruin her vision of Linda. It wouldn't have accomplished anything but destroy fond memories of an old woman. No matter how much I despise my EX, I couldn't do it to her." It went quiet again.

From the side of his eyes, Jim could see the cogs in Steven's brain turning and turning.

With a deadpan look, Stephen asked, "Why did she do it? Linda, I mean, why did she do it to you?"

Taking a deep breath, Jim replied, "That will remain one of the mysteries of life. I've talked to people a whole lot smarter than me. Even my counselor couldn't understand it. But, of course, she might have been under peer pressure from her friend; I don't know. I don't have a clue."

"Did she love you?" Steven asked.

"Who knows? I used to think she did. She said she did up until I caught her with him again. I guess I'll have to ask God if I get to go there."

"Do you still love her?" Steven required.

"No, not anymore, she killed it," Silence rang loudly through the car as they drove further.

The silence was again broken when Jim heard Steven say, "My dad did that to my mom. I mean, he did the same thing your ex-wife did.

Jim didn't reply.

"I wanted them back together. My dad was my hero. Whatever he did, I felt it was my mom's fault. And she should have forgiven him, and we would be a family again. I started to get snippets of what happened that night they went out. It took some time, but I finally figured it out. Grownups think kids are stupid.

"I used to hear my mom crying in her bedroom late at night. I swear that no one would ever hurt her again. I would protect her from any asshole that ever came near her. But I guess I was wrong." Looking at Jim for approval.

Jim ran his hand through his hair. "I think so; you misinterpreted what she wanted. She was hurt and humiliated by someone she thought she could trust with her life.

"Also, the realization of her poor choice of a man she thought she wanted as the father of her children and a lifelong partner was shattered.

"The only thing that can heal is time and let another person replace those bad memories. Trust me; I've been there and done that.

"It's not your job to protect your mother from that. Physically defend her, but not who she chooses to be with, not even if he's an asshole.

"There are a lot of good men out there for Lydia to choose from. Your mother is a beautiful woman and has a great personality. She is intelligent and witty, to boot. She'll do fine.

"Heck, she seems to have liked that guy named Peter. So maybe there is still a chance for her."

They approached Stevens's neighborhood. Steven turned to Jim, "I heard you kicked Marc Lavalliere's ass." Jim smiled.

"Someone should have kicked my dad's," remarked Steven.

Pulling up to the drive, Steven pulled the door handle to get out and asked, "Are you coming in?"

Jim shook his head and replied, "Do you remember the promise I made? Tell Marie I said hi, and to call me so I can come to see her first game."

"Mr. Carlisle, you're ok," Stephen said as he exited.

Lydia turned from washing dishes to see Steven standing, staring at her. She saw him tear up and move toward her for a hug. "Mom, I'm so sorry, he began crying; I didn't understand."

It was the first time he had cried since his mom's divorce. He was sobbing deeply on her shoulder.

"Shhhh, it's Ok, honey," Lydia sympathized with her son's pain.

"I'm so sorry that asshole hurt you. I hate Dad."

"No, you don't. He's your dad. And he loves....

"Bullshit! Mom," interrupted Steve. "What kind of parent would do what he did if he loved his kids." Then, still sobbing, he pulled away from his mom.

Lydia reached up, taking his head in her hands, and bent him over. She gave him a motherly kiss on the lips. "I love you, Steven. Now get ready to eat. I put yours in the oven."

As he turned to walk away, he stopped, looked at his mom, and said, "Jim's an alright dude."

She looked around and asked, "Where's Jim?"

"He made me a promise. He promised me he wouldn't see you again if I agreed to go with him. I thought at the time it was a win for you and me. I'm not so sure now."

He turned to walk out, then stopped. "Mom, I don't want you to be lonely anymore." He saw the sadness in her eyes after Jim hadn't come in to see her.

Xxxx

Jim's phone rang to see Marie's name pop up. "Hey, sweetie. How are you doing?"

I have my first ball game Saturday afternoon. You said you'd come." She excitedly conveyed.

What position are you going to play?" he asked.

"All of them. They want us to play all of them for now. Later when we figure out who is the best at which position, they will let us play there."

"I promise I'll be there," he said.

Saturday afternoon, Jim stood behind the left field waving to Marie as she took the field for the first time. He swelled with pride as if it was his daughter playing. She waved back and then turned as they threw the first pitch.

The game had changed since he played youth ball. Now everyone batted whether they were in the game or not, which is good. You'll never improve if you don't get to hit during a game.

He didn't like that they didn't keep score, but he reckoned at seven years old, it didn't matter anyway. But it is in human nature to compete. So they'll keep their score whether the parents do it or not: His son did.

He watched Marie get her first hit and catch her first pop-up. After that, all the fans looked out behind the fence to see and hear Jim whooping, hollering, and whistling from where he stood whenever Marie was involved in the play."

"Excuse me," Jim heard come from behind him. Startled, he pivoted, ready to fight. Behind stood three large me staring at him. "Whoa," the eldest said. "We want to introduce ourselves."

"I think I know you two, but not you." Pointing to what appeared to be the youngest. "Oh, now I remember Jim continued, "You were the judge at my assault trial. And you testified at the trial." You were the lead investigator for my case. Turning to the third. Sorry, don't you know you? Do I?"

"No," the youngest replied. "I suppose you wouldn't. You were still pretty drugged up when the DA came in and told you were under arrest. I think he thought you were crazy and needed my protection from a man that just came out of a coma, handcuffed to the bed. I thought it was pretty stupid, myself."

The oldest one stepped up and stuck out his hand, "If you don't remember my name, I'm Joseph Carr. My oldest Is Joe Jr. He answers Lotty. And the one you were talking to is my youngest, William. He likes to be called Bill.

They all shook hands. Jim looked puzzled by their presence and asked, "Why are you here?"

The judge replied." We're here watching my granddaughter's first Softball game."

"Oh, yeah," Jim replied. "Which one is she?" pointing to the field.

"Her name is Marie," Mr. Carr replied.

"I'm here watching a friend of mine's daughter. Her name is Marie also. So, they must have two Maries on the team. "The one I'm watching his.....," his voice trailed off.

He turned to see them grinning back at him, "Let me guess," said Jim. "Her mom is named Lydia."

They all nodded. The old man started the conversation. "I'm here to thank you for helping Steven. Next to my daughter, he took it the hardest when his dad left.

"He wouldn't discuss it with anyone, and we never saw him grieve over it. Instead, he lashed out at Lydia, blaming her for the breakup.

"We saw his smile for the first time this week when he came to our house. So again, we all want to thank you.

To tell you the truth, we were afraid we'd lose the boy. I don't know how you did it, but it worked big time. He's done a complete 180 with his attitude, and he is now reengaging with the family."

Jim nodded. "I think he'll be ok now. Glad I could help."

Michael smiled, "Marie thinks you walk on water, and she always talks about you. Mr. Jim taught me this. Mr. Jim taught me that."

"Well," Jim replied, "I owe her more than she owes me. I think she saved my life. I was pretty down after the trial and divorce. Plus, I guess I never got over the betrayal of that night many years ago. Then I had to fight like hell just to see my kids. It's been a nightmare.

"Marie gave me something to look forward to in my life. Before her, I had gone down a pretty dark road, and I didn't see any way back until she came into it."

Mr. Carr spoke, "We're all here for you. But, just between you and me, the court is waiting for LaValliere to do something stupid, and we will pull an OJ on his ass."

"I talk to all my friends and colleagues, and everyone thinks you're a hell of a man, Jim. We're all surprised you didn't kill them both. That day when the verdict came back, I was praying they would find you not guilty through jury nullification.

"I was so prepared to let you ass walk. I thought with LW as your attorney, he could pull it off. But unfortunately, it looks like we had too many closet cucks on the jury that day.

Lotty spoke. "Jim, I tried my best to minimize that report in your favor. But it was what it was. I drugged my feet, hoping they would let you slide with your injuries. And I couldn't lie for you on the stand when it came to testifying. But anytime you need someone to have your back, you let Bill and me know, and we'll be there for you with another 1000 of my comrades.

"I hope you didn't mind?" asked Mr. Carr. "But I interceded on your behalf with the family court Judge assigned to your problem seeing your children.

"Lydia approached me with your problem and thought your ex was screwing you. The judge owed me a big favor. So, I called it in.

Oh, don't get me wrong, if the investigation had shown you were not the man and father, we thought you were, you wouldn't have gotten your kids with unsupervised visits back for a very long time. But I didn't make her change it. All I had asked her was to fast-track your case, and that's all."

Jim smiled, reached over, and grabbed Mr. Carr's hand. Then, Jim vigorously gave him a two-handed hand, thanking them all.

"Hey, Mr. Jim," screamed Marie. "Did you see me? I caught every ball hit to me." She ran right by her grandfather and uncles and jumped into his arms. Behind her followed Lydia.

"Well," said Bill, "We see where we stand."

"Yes, I did," Jim replied. "Marie, you were great."

"Honey, go run over to Grandmother," said Lydia. "I'll be there in a minute."

Marie got down out of Jim's arms. "Goodbye, Mr. Jim; see you later."

As She turned and ran to Grandmother, she said, "Hey, Granddad, Uncle Lotty, and Uncle Bill.

Lotty turned to his father and said, "So, I guess we're just chopped liver."

Lydia watched Marie run toward her mother. She turned to Jim. SLAP!

Jim's hand grabbed his cheek in shock.

Lydia got into his grille and growled, "You damn coward. Was that bullshit you fed my daughter?"

Jim was trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Then, rubbing his cheek, Jim asked," What are you talking about?"

"What I'm talking about?" she snarled." That bullshit you fed Marie." Jim started to talk. "Shut up, Jim. You're stupid to answer it."

"You know the part where you get slapped in the face and knocked down. But then, you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and keep going. Or was it the part where you told Marie if she quit now, how could she miss out on the best thing that ever happened to her?

"Or was the part where you never quit? Instead, you hop back on the horse and keep riding; You said you could get hurt again, but the pain will disappear if you replace it with good memories.

"Well, you're just about to the point where you're about to lose out on the best memory you will ever have. Me."

Jim started to talk," Shut up, Jim, you're too stupid to talk. Wait till I'm finished."

"If you're never going to use that thing between your legs, I want it. So, I'll cut it off, bronze it, and stick it on the fireplace mantle at home.

"Jim started to talk, and Lydia gave him the LOOK. All men know the one. And damn, she had perfected it to a Tee. So, he thought better than to talk.

"This is what will happen if you want to keep those nuggets. Friday night you'll pick me up at my place at 7. I'm driving.

"I'm taking you to dinner first, so you'll have plenty of fuel to keep your strength up. It's going to be a long night; you'll need it. And then we're going to go dancing, where I'm going to grope you and whisper disgusting things in your ears.

"After that, I'll probably get up, go to the bathroom, and remove my undies. When I return to the table, I'll put them in your hand for safekeeping. Then I'll make sure everyone knows I took them off.

Since I'm paying for everything, you will put it out for the next 12 hours after we get to my place. So, you better bring your A-Game, Mr.

She stepped back and glared at Jim as she walked away. Then, she turned to her daddy and said, "Hey, Daddy; see you at the house tomorrow for dinner. Lotty, Bill.