I Don't Know Where It's Been

Story Info
Don't you hate it when schedules conflict?
8.4k words
4.48
263.1k
134
0

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 07/24/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
myiionu
myiionu
231 Followers

This story, yes I said story, is meant for adults only.

I felt like shit. I had just got off the phone with my wife of eleven years, the day after tomorrow, and it had ended with her in tears. Three years ago I had almost lost my job, because Kate, Katherine, had gotten so upset that I was going to be missing our anniversary that she made me come home. Here it is three years later, and it's her that's going to be missing our anniversary, and there is not one thing I said to her that would make her come home. I'm not real sure why I'm the one feeling like shit, but I do.

The last twelve years have been the happiest of my life. When I met Kate she was twenty-four, and just getting started in her career in sales. She had come to our architecture firm to try and get us to place adds in some of the more up scale magazines, that at the time we could not afford. The little black haired beauty caught my eye, and after talking to my partner he helped me string her along long enough for me to get her to go out with me. She told me after our first date, that she had known we couldn't afford her services, and was glad we were able to make it look good enough for her boss to keep her coming back until I worked up the nerve to ask her out.

I made a joke about the waiter's toupee while she was taking a drink of water, and it shot out her nose. I was in love. We dated for over six months, and then she moved in with me for another six, until she could get off the road, and into an office. We were married about four months after that. There hasn't been a day go by that I don't think I'm one of the luckiest guys on the planet because I got her to marry me.

I grabbed the phone again, and called my boss. I had been around since day one, when Craig had started the place. Our little four man design team had made some amazing breakthroughs that had cut production times in many areas.

"Craig, I know you're in there, pick up," I said into the phone.

I heard him pick up the phone. "Dan, I'm kind of busy right now, you know that."

"Then I'll make it short, I'm leaving right now, and I won't be back until Monday," I said.

"What the fuck are you talking about, leaving? Where are you going?" he said

"I'm going to spend my anniversary with my wife. I'll see you Monday," I said.

"Have a good trip asshole, don't forget to knock before you walk in," he said laughing.

"Damn, you just get funnier every day," I said.

"You know, I hear that all the time," he said.

"Not from anyone that knows you. Hey sorry, but the last couple of months since they brought that guy in to head Kate's department, things have been pretty tense around our house. Maybe some time in a hotel bed could help things," I said.

"Well, it damn sure never hurt anything. Do me a favor, when you're just ready to do something a little kinky, think of me," Craig said chuckling.

"Deal, see ya Monday," I said.

Not hanging up, I punched in the extension for Craig's secretary. Rose had a way of getting anything, and I needed a plane ticket. After I got off the phone with her, I got in my car, and went home to pack. I was filling my suitcase, when my cell rang.

"You have forty-five minutes to get to the airport in time for security check. The ticket is waiting at the desk under your name. I was able to get you a return flight on Sunday afternoon, at one-thirty. There weren't any rooms in the hotel you said Kate was in, so I got one two blocks away. Have a safe trip, and I'll see you Monday," Rose said, and hung up before I could say a word.

I ran into the bathroom, and got my shaving kit filled. I stuffed it in the bag, closed it up, and started making a quick check of the place. After remembering to shut off the coffee maker, one of the few times, I ran for the car. After fifteen years, I've learned a few good back roads, and with only a little speeding, okay a lot of speeding, I made the flight with time to spare. After getting checked in, screened, and staged, we got on the plane. As soon as we were in our seats, I slipped the ear bugs in, and turned on my ipod. I'm not much of a flyer, but music clams me down enough to keep the white knuckling to a minimum.

Three hours later, a hand on my shoulder woke me out of a nice dream about Kate and I. Wow, I had really passed out. I haven't been doing much sleeping at night. A little of it was stress at work, but for the last couple of months things between Kate and I have been strained. We went from a very active sex life three months ago, to nothing. It had been over two months since she had even let me close to her. It started with her telling me how they had promoted a guy from another department over her, to head her department. She was really scrambling to show them that they had made a mistake in passing her over.

For the first two weeks she had come home exhausted, and talking about nothing but how to get rid of Mr. Paul Renolds. She was even threatening his life. This calmed down in the third week, and a couple of weeks later she said they had started working together more, and better until they were now being sent out as a team to bring in a large account. I had gotten a little worried that there might be something between them, but Kate always put my mind at ease, and other then us not having sex she paid me as much or more attention then ever.

As I pulled my bag out of the overhead, I was thinking of how to get Kate to come down to the restaurant without telling her I was there. I caught a cab to my hotel and after a little small talk about my situation, the cabbie told me about a nice romantic place in between the two hotels with a dark dance floor, and dark booths. I told him it sounded like just the kind of place I was looking for, and gave him a nice tip as I got out at the curb.

After I got checked in, I took quick shower, and got out of there a soon as possible. I was hoping to catch Kate before she went out to eat. It was just after five-thirty as I passed the clock in the lobby. Looking at the crowded street, I figured I could get there just as fast on foot, and started in the direction the lady at the desk had pointed me. The walk was easy, and I took the time to note the romantic club the cabbie had mentioned was just a few doors from her hotel. I walked into the hotel lobby at ten to six, and got in line to speak with one of the desk people.

I smiled at the lady that waved me forward. "Hi, my name is Dan Cardiff, I'd like to find out if my wife Katherine is in her room, and if she is I'd like to talk to her please."

"Cardiff, Katherine... yes she is staying with us, just a second, and I'll see if she's in," she said dialing the room. "I'm sorry sir, there's no answer, would you like to leave a message?"

"Not right now. I was kind of hoping to surprise her. Our anniversary is tomorrow, so I would appreciate it if you wouldn't mention we had this little talk," I said hopefully.

"No problem sir, I never saw you. I hope you have a great day tomorrow sir," she said.

"Thank you, I think I'll go check the restaurant, maybe I'll get lucky. Goodnight," I said.

I followed my nose to the far side of the lobby, and found a room full of people running, serving, sitting, and eating. The place was packed. I wasn't giving myself very good odds at finding her in there. I spotted the restroom to one side in the back, and I figured I could kill two birds, you know. I walked through looking left, and right, but I didn't see her. After taking care of my business, I stood at the hallway entrance, and looked out over the room again. There was no way I was going to see her in here. Then I don't know how, but I heard a giggle. It was one in a thousand but it sounded like her. I looked along the wall, but the booths were high, and all I could see were the faces of a few guys, and the heads of the women with them.

Well I wasn't walking up to any tables, until I was sure who was in there, so I went back across the place, and looked back to the wall. I started going down the row, booth by booth. The third one from the hallway I had been in, I saw her. She was sitting there eating and laughing with a guy I didn't recognize. She looked great. She was in a dress she always picked when she was looking forward to a night of dancing, both vertically, and horizontally. The two looked very easy with one another, and shocking me Kate reached over, and stabbed something from his plate laughing as she put it in her mouth. When the guy looked a little huffy, she reached over, and caressed his face with the backs of her fingers.

What the hell was going on here? It sure looked more intimate then dinner with a colleague. Then I had to reach for the door jam, when he leaned towards her, and she met his lips in a kiss. I walked away from the door to the center of the lobby, and dropped into one of the big wingback chairs. I picked my hand up off of the arm, and held it up, smiling as I watched it shake. Its good thing I didn't need to shoot anyone, maybe.

I'm not real sure how long I sat there. I was facing the dining room, and looked up when I heard that giggle again. I looked over to see her walking with both her hands on his arm, leaning close, and laughing while speaking into his ear. They walked within fifteen feet of me, I'm sure they were talking, but all I did was watch the way she was looking at him. I hadn't seen that look in a long time. All of a sudden I couldn't breath.

I shot up out of that chair, and started striding for the door. I'm a big guy, but people don't usually take much notice. Now, the crowd parted like the Red Sea. I probably didn't look real happy, and I had a pretty good head of steam up. Luckily the revolving door had buffers in it, or I would have shot myself into the street. I walked straight to the curb, and stood there huffing in..., I don't know what. Pain, anger, sorrow, but I think anger was winning.

"Giggle."

My body snapped around, before I knew what I was doing. I watched as they pushed their way out of the door together, and turned walking towards my hotel. I watched as she walked holding his arm, and leaning into him. I watched as they walked down the block, turned, and went into the club I had looked at. Snapping out of the trance I was in, I started for the doorway. Thinking for the first time in a while, I slowed down so they would have time to get away from the door.

Stopping, I took a few deep breathes trying to calm down. There was no way that that look could be anything but what it was, but I wanted something more, I'm not real sure what, but something. I opened the door, stepped in, and moved off to one side. There was no cover charge, so I just stood waiting for my eyes to adjust, looking into the room. I spotted them in the end booth, over by a table for two. I stuck to the outside, and made my way to the little table. The waitress was right on my ass, and was there as I sat down.

"What can I get ya, honey?" she said.

"Scotch, rocks, double," I said.

"Our meeting isn't until ten tomorrow, so we can stay and celebrate as late as you want," I heard him tell Kate. "I'm so glad you didn't let him guilt you into going home."

Giggle "Go home, and miss our two month anniversary, no way. I can't believe we've already been together for two months," she said, and I heard a kiss.

"It would have been longer, if you had taken me up on my offer at the end of my first week there," he said.

"Well, I had to make you think I was a little hard to get. I am supposed to be married you know? I couldn't believe it when you walked up to me in front of Marge, and asked me out, knowing full well I was married," she said.

"Marge was the one that told me you thought I was hot," he said.

"We need to get something nice for her, for getting us together," Kate said as their waitress arrived, dropped their drinks and left. "Here's to two fantastic months together."

"And many more to come," he finished.

"And many more to come," she said clinking glasses.

"Here you go honey, will that be all?" said my waitress setting my drink in front of me.

"Oh ya, that's all alright," I said getting to my feet.

I pulled a ten out and gave it to her. Then she watched as I stuck my finger in the glass. The icy whiskey helped lube my finger to get the band off it. The damn thing had been there so long, I didn't even take it off anymore, it was too much trouble. When my hand snapped away with the ring, and a fair amount of hide, I looked at the waitress.

"Damn thing gets tight after eleven years, but at least I didn't have to cut off my finger," I said to her, as I picked up the drink, and drained it.

I smacked the glass on the table, and stamped my foot, as it burned its way down. "Damn that was good after ten years without a drink. Thanks lady," I said and turned to the booth.

They were just breaking a kiss as I walked up to the table. He looked up, but not knowing me, it didn't really matter to him. Seeing him looking, Kate turned to look up at me. You know a guy should carry a camera for times like these; the look on her face could have been used for any number of posters, as she sat there with her mouth moving, and nothing coming out.

"Wow, two months. That's a special anniversary. I remember mine, but after eleven years it gets a little old I guess," I said looking at him looking at her. "Let's see two months, that's red and gold isn't it? Well, a cute couple like you deserves a present, so here's the gold," I said tossing my ring on the table towards Kate, "and here's the red," I said as I reached out and smashed my fist into his fucking face.

"PAUL," Kate half yelled, reaching over to take his face in her hands.

I had felt a satisfying crunch as I contacted his nose, but I knew that if I didn't leave, I was going to end up in jail.

I turned to look at Kate as she was trying to help asshole. "Sometime, tell him how lucky he is that he wasn't in my house. Call, and leave a message as to where you want your things sent. If you're smart, and I'm not saying you are, you won't come by the house. You might try some ice on that nose, I think it's broken," I said as I turned and walked away.

I walked out the front door of the club, turned to my hotel, and started taking long strides. I know there is no way Kate could know where I was staying, and after what I'd done to her little friend she probably wasn't going to try and catch me anyway, but I needed to put some distance between us fast. Fuck, I haven't hit anyone since I was twenty-three here I am twenty years later. You'd think I'd have learned something since then. I guess I had learned something, hadn't I? Don't take things for granted. I knew there was a reason I hated school, lessons suck.

Walking into the lobby, I went over to the front desk. "Excuse me do you have the phone numbers to the airlines? I need to get on a plane as soon as possible," I said.

"Yes sir, what airline, and when, and where do you want to go?" she asked.

I gave her all the information she needed, and she told me she would call the room with my flight information. I went up to the room, and started pacing up and down. This was so unbelievable. How the fuck did this happen? Then I got to thinking, wow, did she miss her calling. The acting Kate had been doing the last two months would have won her an award. Jesus, and that little crying scene on the phone when I was trying to guilt her into coming home, she was good. I was getting more pissed by the second, and couldn't stay in the room any more. I grabbed my bag, and took the stairs to the lobby. When I got there, the lady behind the desk put down the phone, and waved me over.

"Sir, if you leave now you have an outside chance at catching the last flight tonight, final check in, is in thirty minutes. If you don't make it, the next flight is in three hours," she said.

"Thank you, I hope the cab drivers around here are good," I said as I signed the checkout slip she had pushed in front of me.

"I'm sorry you had to cut your visit with us short, please keep us in mind the next time you're in town," she said with a smile.

"I have a feeling I'm going to have a hard time forgetting anything about my visit," I said and started for the door.

I ran out of the lobby, and found a cab at the stand just up the street. "I've got fifty bucks that says you can't get me to the airport in less than thirty minutes."

"You're on boss," he said snapping me back into the seat.

The guy was good; he had me there in twenty minutes. I paid him what was on the meter plus the fifty, told him thanks, and started running for my gate. I don't know what I was worried about I had three or four minutes to spare. I got through the security, and went about waiting for the flight to board. As keyed up as I was, I was hoping no one would think I was going to try something on the plane. I was pacing the whole time, and I kept catching myself muttering.

Finally they called us to board, and I was lucky enough to have a seat by my self. I didn't need the music this time. This time there were plenty of other things to keep my mind on. A thought flashed through my mind, and I barely caught myself before I burst out laughing. Kate's mom has not been my number one fan. Debra has her husband right where she wants him. She treats Greg like a mushroom, keep him in the dark, and feed him shit. She doesn't get away with it with me, and she isn't real pleased about that. She told Kate once, that one of these days I'd cheat on her. That she had seen me checking out other women when we were all out together.

The whole flight I just sat there wondering if this was really happening. I pulled out the picture I carry of Kate and me and sat looking at it. All of a sudden, when I looked at the smiling face, the one next to it looked like asshole. I snapped my head up, and looked to see if anyone saw me, then looked back at the picture. It was me next to Kate in the picture, but all I could see was her looking into his eyes that way. Jesus now she had me wondering.

I know men aren't supposed to be the ones that remember things, but I counted myself as an exception to that rule. In the beginning, like all women, Kate tried to pull that; oh do you remember this, or do you remember that, but unfortunately for her I did. I remembered all our conversations, all our plans, all the little secrets you only mention in the dark. Now I sit here wondering, if I didn't notice this going on for two months, what else have I missed. Jesus, the guy asked her out the first week he met her, and from what she said, the only reason it didn't happen was so that she could make it look good because she was married.

Thinking about seeing her at the table with him tore at me. Seeing how familiar they were, the little looks, the touches, and that simple little kiss. FUCK! Even after I get rid of all her stuff, I'm going to see that for a long time. Thinking of getting rid of her things gave me a twofer idea. I'm going to go home, pack all of it up, and take it to her mothers. The old bag will find a way of putting the blame on me, but as long as I know the truth, that's all that matters.

The ding of the seatbelt sign was the only reason I knew we were arriving into the airport. It brought on a little white knuckling, but all in all it's probably the best I ever handled flying. After we docked with the gate, I let those that were in a hurry clear out. All I need is to get pushed a little too hard, and turn around and deck someone. I dug into the overhead, got my bag, and joined the procession into the terminal.

I walked straight out to my car, and got in line for the exit. I don't really remember much of the drive home, but I got there. I don't really know how long it took, but who the fuck cares anyway? Walking into the dark house felt pretty strange. All I could think of was, get used to it pal, this is how it's going to look from now on. I dropped my bag, and headed for the kitchen. On the way by, I automatically hit the switch on the answering machine.

myiionu
myiionu
231 Followers