In My Life Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Maybe he'll think you like him, and are proud of him. Is that so bad?" Cathy asked.

Maria was thoughtful for a moment and then told Cathy, "I am going to tell my cousins the truth. It will be embarrassing for a while, but they won't bother Emerson any more."

Cathy held Maria by the shoulders and spoke directly to her. "Are you crazy? Did Emerson look flustered? We both know he likes you, so you weren't telling a lie. In fact, it was probably the only time in the past eight years you were truthful about how you felt about Emerson. You can always tell them it didn't work out, if it doesn't. For now, let it go. No one was hurt. Certainly not you or Emerson."

Maria looked down. "Cathy, you always seem to understand what I should do. You are a real friend. I guess I'll let it go. The embarrassing part is over now anyway."

Cathy and Maria had made it a point to ask Billy about Emerson's business with Major Reynolds in South America and about Ellen Lander. Billy had not been helpful. He refused to elaborate on the former and claimed to have never met any Ellen Lander, or even heard of her. Still, the two girls had come away with the feeling Billy was not telling them what he did know.

"Maria, Billy is keeping information from us, I'm sure. Men really stick together. It occurs to me that if this Ellen Lander is in town, we should be able to find something out about her, with some discreet questioning."

"We have to be careful not to be too obvious or we could look rather foolish, Cathy. But it is worth a try. I must admit I am rather curious about this woman. I wonder if she is attractive. Somehow, I know she must be."

On the second evening after their arrival, Cathy and Maria were out shopping for the ball. Cathy came up to Maria with a mysterious look on her face.

"Well, it sure wasn't hard to find out who Ellen Lander is. This clerk couldn't say enough about her!"

Maria waited for the rest. "Cathy, don't play games with me. What did you learn?"

"Just that Ellen Lander is the richest, most beautiful woman in the country. Other than that, she isn't all that special, I'm sure."

"Cathy, are you serious? I can never tell when you are telling the truth."

"Maria, her father owns mines all over the world. They are wealthy, incredibly so. She is young and beautiful and in Santa Fe, staying at the best hotel, of course. It seems that every single man in the territory is presenting himself to her constantly. Everyone knows Ellen Lander, the clerk says."

"Did you happen to hear any connection with Emerson? I guess I don't have to ask. She's probably met him in some exotic part of the world. If she has, she will remember him, I'm certain." Maria was not enjoying Cathy's information.

The following afternoon, Carmella, Molly, Nancy, Cathy, and Maria were all together, strolling through stores and outdoor markets in the old part of the city. A shop specializing in silver caught their attention and they entered it. The jewelry was magnificent and all the women turned quiet as they looked at the different pieces.

Cathy saw Molly looking at a beautiful silver necklace. "Look, that piece has Molly Hernandez written all over it! It would look great on you, Molly!"

Ellen Lander had decided to pick up some gifts for her friends in Denver. It was that decision that brought her to the same shop Maria and her companions were visiting. As she entered, Ellen heard the name Molly Hernandez.

"Excuse me! Did you say Molly Hernandez?" she asked the group. "Is someone here named Molly Hernandez?"

Maria turned to the questioner. She was not prepared for what she saw. A fashionably dressed young woman stood by the door. Her hair was copper colored and well coifed. Her figure was perfect and her looks stunning.

It was Nancy that broke the surprised silence. "My mother is Molly Hernandez. Why do you want her?"

Ellen looked from Nancy to Molly. It was apparent that she was in an excited state. That was when she turned and saw Maria. Staring, she approached Maria, a question forming on her lips.

"Are you Maria? There can't be two as lovely as you. You do have the look of an angel!"

Maria was shocked that this woman knew who she was. "Yes, I am Maria Casey. And you can only be Ellen Lander."

"So you know me? Have you seen, I mean, do you know a man, tall and handsome, that went to sea many years ago? I probably sound crazy, but I must know."

Cathy stepped forward. "Miss Lander, Maria isn't giving out information today. You'll have to excuse us."

Maria knew Cathy was trying to keep the Lander woman from Emerson and loved Cathy for it. She also knew that would solve nothing, only delay it.

"You are asking about Emerson?" Maria asked Ellen.

"Emerson? That would be his name. He seemed like an Emerson. Have you seen him in the past year and a half?" Ellen asked.

"Certainly. We are staying at the same hotel, the Casa Diaz. He is probably there now." Maria answered.

"He is? Is he all right. I mean is his health good?" Ellen was holding Maria's arms as she spoke.

"He is quite well, except for the bullet wound in his shoulder, but that is improving rapidly. It only happened a couple of weeks ago, but he is a fast healer." Maria answered.

"He has been shot again?" Ellen cried.

Carmella had been listening to the conversation and making little sense of it. "Could I ask what is going on? You have completely lost me."

"Mother, this is Ellen Lander. She is as wealthy as she is lovely. She and Emerson seem to go back a ways, and she is obviously anxious to see him again."

Carmella had noticed Maria's softening toward Emerson since their arrival in Santa Fe. It was quite apparent Ellen Lander was not a person with whom Maria felt she wanted to compete. Emerson seemed to have a way of attracting desirable women. She felt some of the emotions her daughter was experiencing and was proud of Maria's control.

Ellen could not contain her pleasure. "I can't believe my good luck. I was hoping I would find him, but I had almost given up. Hearing the name Molly Hernandez brought it all together. That and seeing this beautiful woman." She indicated Maria as she spoke. "Emerson really does have good taste."

"Thank-you so much! I haven't much time so I must go find him. Will I see you at the Ball? We can visit then. There is so much we can share!"

Again it was Cathy that answered. "We'll be there. Maria has promised Emerson a dance. He's really sweet on her you know."

"I sure do! I'll see you there," Ellen answered as she headed back out the door.

"Mother, isn't she beautiful!" Maria whispered to Carmella. "She is a real lady, in every sense."

"She is lovely, but certainly no more so than you. I've seen the way people, especially men, look at you. You are second to no one, and I'm sure Emerson will agree," Carmella responded.

Cathy moved close to Maria. "She does seems to be up on fashion, but you didn't have to make it easy for her to find Emerson. Why did you tell her where to find him?"

"Cathy, you are a wonderful friend, and I appreciate it, believe me. She would have found him sooner or later, and I have no right or reason to keep them apart."

"Well, I sure don't see it that way, but you are probably right. Did you see the heads turn when she went down the street? I think we'll have to work really hard to get ready for the Ball. She said she would be there."

By this time, Carmella and Molly were unable to contain their curiosity. Questions came faster than answers. There was much Cathy and Maria did not know, but were determined to find out.

Ellen Lander went directly to Emerson's hotel after leaving Maria, only to find Emerson was not in. She decided to finish her errands and check back at the hotel afterward.

Later that day, Cathy and Maria volunteered to carry the group's purchases back to their rooms, while the rest continued browsing through the city.

"This trip has been so good for my mother and Molly! They really do need to get away from the ranch now and then. Nancy is really enjoying herself, too. That cattle drive really did turn out well, didn't it?" Maria asked as the two women strolled toward the hotel.

"I should smile! We haven't been able to dress up, or see anything but home for quite some time. We also have a couple of pretty good men interested in us. Who knows how well this will turn out!"

"You are always so optimistic, Cathy. We shouldn't expect too much, or we could be disappointed," Maria cautioned.

"You are always so careful, Maria. I thought you were getting over that. I do expect a lot and I'll do what I can to help make it happen. I'm willing to take the chance. For you, it is practically a done deal. That man worships you."

Maria was smiling at her friend's words as they turned into their hotel. As they entered the lobby, Maria suddenly stopped. Cathy looked to see the cause of Maria's action. In the center of the room, Ellen Lander had her arms around Emerson, kissing him on the lips.

Maria sobbed quietly, turned and left the building. Cathy followed, not knowing what to say. Maria simply kept walking and Cathy worked to stay with her.

Finally, Maria slowed her pace. Cathy saw the tears winding down her cheeks and tried to cheer Maria up. "It doesn't have to be that bad, Maria. They could be friends that haven't seen each other in a long time. Emerson might have been trying to be polite."

"Cathy, don't treat me like a fool, although I am one! We both saw it. He wasn't being polite! What man would be able to resist a woman like that? I was fine on a cattle drive, but in civilization, she wins hands down. I can't compete with a beautiful, rich Anglo!"

Cathy was surprised at the emotion Maria displayed. She began to realize Emerson meant more to Maria than she let on. For one of the few times she could remember, Cathy could think of nothing to say.

Ellen Lander had returned to the hotel to find Emerson in the lobby. With no concern for anyone else in the room, she rushed to him.

"Emerson! That is your name. I am so glad to see you! I was so afraid you didn't make it that day!" With that, careful to avoid his tender shoulder, she wrapped her arms around his waist and kissed him.

Emerson was embarrassed but amused at Ellen. "You didn't think I'd stay in that town long after that business, did you? I got back to the ship and we sailed immediately. I know where I'm not welcomed. How is your brother? And your father?"

"Dad is the same as always. I'm leaving today to meet him at one of our mines, but we'll be back for the Ball. I met Maria. She is beautiful!"

"You did? Did she know you? What did she say?" Emerson didn't try to hide his surprise.

"She told me your name and where to find you. I heard the name Molly Hernandez. I knew the ship in port that day was called The Molly Hernandez and that if you lived, you must have left on it. Then I saw a woman I had heard described once by you, and asked if she was Maria. Did I tell you she is beautiful?" Ellen asked.

"Yes, and you are right. It sounds like she knew more than I realized. How is Dan?"

He is doing well. He'll always have a game leg, but after what he went through, we'll live with it. He is running the office in Chicago. He's in love again and engaged to a really nice girl. We owe all that to you." Ellen again gave Emerson a hug as she spoke. "I'm running late. My wagon was supposed to leave an hour ago, but I put it off, looking for you. When I get back we'll have to talk. Dad will want to see you, I'm sure. Are you going to the Ball?"

"That is the plan. Have a good trip and I'll see you when you get back." Emerson realized Ellen still had her arms wrapped around him. People had to notice. Ellen was considered to be a bit of a princess in Santa Fe.

Ellen had no interest in who was watching. Reaching up, she kissed Emerson again. "I'm so glad I found you and you are healthy, and that things are going well with Maria. You deserve it! So long for now, Emerson. Dad will be wondering where I am. I have to leave town, but I'll be back for the Ball. If Maria doesn't mind I would like to have a dance or two with you, Emerson." She turned and left.

Emerson turned to see Bob, Tom, and Billy looking his way, their mouths still open. It was apparent they were impressed with Ellen Lander.

"I assume that was Ellen Lander?" Billy asked. "I guess everything I heard about her was true, and then some. Was that another display of gratitude we just witnessed?"

Emerson had a sheepish smile. "You're exactly right, Billy. Heck, she didn't even know my name before today. She said Maria told her where I could be found."

"How do you become so friendly with someone that doesn't know your name?" questioned Tom. "If we could find a way to market your attraction to the opposite sex, we could be rich."

Emerson laughed. "It is part of the favor I did in South America for Major Reynolds. It's a long story."

"You wouldn't want to go through the things Emerson did to win a woman's affections, believe me," added Billy. "If you gentlemen have the time and care to buy a beer or two, I'll tell you the story."

"Billy, I think that story can wait, if you don't mind. I promised the major I would never connect him with that situation, remember? Just stow it, please."

"Since you put it that way, all right. I still have some good stories, if you gentlemen care to join me for a drink," grinned Billy.

Cathy and Maria wandered the sidewalks for half an hour. Finally, Cathy prevailed upon Maria to return to the hotel.

"I suppose we can go back now. She must have relaxed her grip by this time," Maria pouted.

They saw no one as they returned to their rooms. Maria was depressed and Cathy could not bring her out of it. "I'm going back out to see if I can catch up with the others. Will you go with me, Maria?"

"I wouldn't be good company, as you must realize by now. I'll stay here for awhile, Cathy, thanks. I would appreciate it if you didn't say anything to the others about Emerson and Ellen Lander. I don't want everyone to know how much it hurt. I especially don't want to give that satisfaction to Emerson!"

Later that evening, Maria joined the other women for dinner in the dining room. She was still subdued, but feared she would arouse suspicions if she remained in her room. She was intent on not letting the others know how much Emerson's interest in Ellen Lander distressed her. It became difficult as the evening progressed.

"I bumped into your cousins today, Maria. They seem to think you and Emerson are romantically involved. Are you aware of that and where do you suppose they came up with that idea?" questioned Carmella.

Cathy could hardly contain her laughter as Maria gave her best straight-faced answer.

"Mother, you know how those girls have always been looking for men. They think I am the same. They met Emerson when they were shopping with Cathy and me. They assumed more than there was."

Carmella was looking past Maria as she finished talking. Maria turned her head to see what so interested her mother. Cathy was also looking behind Maria. Cathy's mother and Molly also turned to look.

Maria could not believe her eyes when she saw Jake and his brother Eli, approaching her table.

"Hello, Mam. We stopped to get some dinner. When Eli saw you he thought it would be impolite not to say hello. It's good to see you made it to Santa Fe. How is your husband feeling? Is his shoulder healing okay?"

Cathy raised a napkin to her face to hide her laughter as Maria answered Jake's question.

"He is much better, thank-you. He was here somewhere. You can check around if you really want to see him. Or simply wait. He should be eating dinner before too long." Maria was aware the others were totally confused, but Jake and Eli still frightened her and she knew they would never bother her if they felt Emerson was around.

"I didn't think he would be very far from you. I could tell the other day the way he watched you all the time that he was the jealous type. He probably worried about Eli and me, being so good lookin' and all." Jake's eyes were all over Maria as he spoke.

"Yes, he is very jealous. His shoulder was hurt fighting with men that had insulted me. They will not bother any more ladies, if you know what I mean," Maria replied. "It may be best if he doesn't see you talking with me. His temper can be so difficult to control!"

"I guess I understand, Mam. We sure don't want to shoot it out with him! I heard it was the Gustin bunch that winged him," Jake added. "He took care of Tuleya and Miller! We'll steer clear."

The brothers tipped their hats and retreated across the room to a corner table. They took seats that allowed them both the opportunity to watch Maria's table.

Cathy had tears streaming down her cheeks and Carmella was laughing as well. The others were smiling. "I think those two like you, Maria. Did you see the way they looked at you? It sure is a great time for you husband to be off somewhere with those cowboys. Your heart could be stolen by Eli!" Cathy teased.

"Cathy, it wasn't funny. We met them on the trail. I told them we were married. Emerson was weak and I didn't like the way they looked at me. I thought they would be less likely to bother me if they thought I was married. You saw how they were!"

Molly smiled at Maria. "I like that idea. You would make a wonderful daughter-in-law!"

"Thanks, Molly. That is a compliment, but I wouldn't count on anything. I have several suitors and I am certain Emerson enjoys the company of more than a few women."

It was at that moment that Emerson entered the dining room with Tom, Bob, and Billy. He noticed Jake and Eli immediately and stopped at Maria's table.

"I see the dirt brothers are here. Have they bothered you, Maria?"

Maria's coldness surprised him. "It isn't necessary for you to concern yourself about me. I can handle my own problems."

Carmella looked at Maria, then turned a questioning glance to Cathy. Cathy managed a slight shrug of her shoulders and Carmella nodded.

"It's a good thing you got here, Emerson. Your 'wife' was being sweet talked by that Jake fellow. He seems to think you are all that stands in his way of winning Maria." Carmella was determined not to let Maria drive Emerson away. She didn't know why Maria was so curt with him, but had been around Maria enough to know it wouldn't last.

Carmella smiled at Emerson as she spoke and nodded at the brothers seated in the far corner. She watched understanding wash across his face. He reddened and laughed. "I guess they did talk to you! It is so hard to keep a secret in this country. Deceit always comes back to haunt you, doesn't it?"

Again Emerson was surprised by Maria. "That is a good thing for you to keep in mind, although you should be accustomed to it by now."

"Maria, have they been bothering you? I can go over and talk to them."

"Emerson, I'm afraid Cathy and my mother have a strange sense of humor. Jake merely asked how my husband was feeling and these two made a big deal of it. I explained how the story seemed a good idea at the time. I know now it was a mistake."

Emerson was unsure why Maria was so cold toward him, but he knew it would be wise to remove himself from her company. "Ladies, enjoy your dinner. I'll join the sorry looking collection of misfits at that table and attempt to elevate their existence. Excuse me."

It was on the fourth night of their stay, and two nights before the ball, that Maria brought a gentleman to dinner. He was a tall, handsome man around thirty. He dressed the part of a fine gentleman, with a dark suit and a fancy, ruffled shirt.

She had been sitting in the hotel lobby when a handsome stranger approached her. He displayed a wide smile with fine white teeth. "Would you be offended if I took this seat near you?" he had asked. "I'm certain a woman as beautiful as you is constantly beset by admirers."