In My Life Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maria was still brooding about Emerson and Ellen Lander. The attention of the good-looking stranger lifted her spirits. "Thank-you, sir. You are very kind. You are welcomed to sit near me."

The rest of the day passed swiftly as the stranger engaged her in a long and varied conversation. He introduced himself as Michael Estrada. His stories were interesting and his attention flattering. Maria found herself laughing and enjoying herself for the first time since she had seen Ellen Lander with Emerson.

It seemed natural to invite him to dine with her, and he was quick to accept. To herself, Maria was thinking what a good lesson it would be for Emerson. He wasn't the only one found attractive by the opposite sex. The idea of him being jealous appealed to Maria.

Maria introduced him to the gathering. "This is Michael Estrada, from southern New Mexico, not far from the border. He is in Santa Fe on business and is going to stay for the ball."

Emerson worked at keeping a poker face. The others all seemed to glance his way, judging his reaction. Emerson offered Estrada his hand. "It's a pleasure, sir." Emerson winced as the man shook his hand vigorously.

Maria felt a moment of remorse as she realized Emerson's shoulder was still tender. "Michael, this is Emerson. He was shot in the shoulder a couple of weeks ago and is still sore, so please be careful." She then introduced him to the rest of her friends in the room.

The rest of the dinner was spent listening to Estrada's accounts of his amazing life and experiences. Emerson found his mind wandering as the dandy went on about the things he had seen and done. Emerson had seen men like that before, full of themselves and not interested in others. Before too long, Pat, Billy, Miguel and Emerson were carrying on their own conversation, allowing Michael the opportunity to dazzle the ladies.

Normally, the men would linger over coffee and dessert, but this dinner ended abruptly, with the men retiring to the hotel bar. Pat Casey chuckled as he sipped a beer. "That dude is still talking in there! I haven't met a man as impressed with himself in some time. I sure hope I don't see much of him."

The rest laughed. They all held both Maria and Emerson in high regard and were careful to avoid any insulting comments. Emerson had judged the man to be mostly talk and little else. He found himself hoping Maria didn't find him too interesting, though he felt it was unlikely. She was a sharp girl, not easily fooled.

After that evening, Estrada was constantly at Maria's side. He had become an intense suitor and Maria appeared pleased with his attention. Others were less impressed.

The next day saw a conspiracy, of sorts, as Emerson and Billy decided to eat an hour early and avoid Maria's new friend. Billy mentioned it to Bob in the early afternoon, and soon after Emerson sat down with Billy to eat, Bob came in to join them. It wasn't long before Cathy and Tom pulled up chairs at the table. Emerson had to smile when he saw his family enter with Cathy's parents. Ernie Hooker even made an early appearance. He was a quiet man and said nothing as he sat down, but Emerson thought he looked a little bit sheepish. Soon the conversation was flowing and everyone was enjoying the meal.

"I'm sure my father would be with us if he had stayed," Tom offered. "Before he left, he told me that talkers like Estrada are what made him decide to leave Denver for Morgantown. Dad had as much vacation as he has had in years. He was anxious to get back and make sure the bank was still there."

Cathy was smiling as she sat next to Tom. Their friendship seemed to be developing into something more, Emerson observed to himself. He felt good about that. He really enjoyed them both.

"Pat Casey was fit to be tied when he heard we were going to eat an hour early," Cathy laughed. "I felt like I should explain to him why we were, so he wouldn't be angry that we left Carmella and him out. He told me I didn't have to tell him why, he had thought of doing the same, but was afraid of Maria."

"In our travels, Emerson and I have seen that kind a lot," Billy offered. "He talks a storm, but when the chips are down men like that aren't anywhere to be found. Maria must be going deaf by now. How can she put up with that four-flusher?"

Again, the group laughed. It was an enjoyable meal. Everyone was careful to finish before the Casey family arrived.

"I hope Maria gets the message," Cathy stated as everyone was leaving. "I can't understand what she sees in that dude." Then she added, "Unless, it's that he pays attention to her, unlike some others I know." She looked at Emerson as she spoke.

A short while later Maria and Michael were seated with Carmella and Pat at the table. That no one else had arrived yet seemed strange. After a few more minutes Maria commented on it.

"I wonder where everyone is? It isn't like them all to be late for dinner. I hope there isn't a problem. I saw Cathy and Tom this afternoon and everything seemed fine."

"Actually, they already ate," Carmella told Maria. "There was something they wanted to do and had to be there at this time. Cathy spoke to your father and me about it. We can have a nice family dinner this evening."

By this time, Michael had launched into an incredible account of a battle he had been in with several desperadoes. He seemed oblivious to the fact that his dinner audience had diminished greatly.

Maria looked at her mother and realization gradually crept over her. She became angry. Anyone that was her friend should accept Michael, she thought. They must not be her friends. As the dinner wore on she noticed her father squirm, like a small boy. He was not enjoying himself, either.

Maria knew her father would not criticize anyone she was interested in. He would do anything to make her happy. Listening to Michael carry on could be tiring, she admitted to herself. He was consumed with himself. Most of his stories seemed incredible.

Maria found herself comparing Michael to Emerson. She had found herself doing that often and it irritated her. Why did everyone have to measure up to Emerson? Emerson had been all over the world, but only talked about it when asked. He was a terror in any kind of a fight. She had seen that. Still he never bragged about it. Women were attracted to him, but he wasn't vain. As Michael droned on, Maria knew that she would not see him again. She wasn't enjoying him either. He had simply been a diversion. He was handsome and she had enjoyed the attention, but she admitted, she really didn't like being with him. The others were right.

When dinner was finished, Michael suggested they take a stroll around the city as they had done the previous evening. Complaining of a headache, Maria asked Michael to walk her to her room.

A short time later her mother knocked on the door. "Maria, can I get you anything?" she asked.

Maria went to the door and opened it. "Come in, Mother. I feel fine. It's just that Michael was driving me crazy. Why didn't you tell me everyone thought he was a bore? It's quite embarrassing."

"Maria, no one can tell you who to like or not to like. That is why you spend time with many people. Eventually, you find some one with the traits you like. Finding a man is difficult because they are reluctant to let you see them as they are, at least before it is too late."

"Mother, what happens if you find someone and they don't like you? That can happen."

"Maria, if they don't like you as you are, you are better off without them, no matter how wealthy or handsome they are." Carmella answered. "I doubt a girl like you would have that problem."

Maria began to sob and her mother took her in her arms. "Mother, I seem to have it. I say and do the wrong things all the time. I can't be polite and charming when I am with him. What is wrong with me?"

Carmella was surprised and touched by her daughter's confession. She had grown into such an independent and popular young women, that Carmella never suspected Maria wasn't in complete control of her emotions and her life.

"Dear, if you say and do what you feel is right, there will be no problem. You are a beautiful and popular young woman. I know of no young man that is immune to your charms. You have to be patient. You also have to risk being hurt. When you give your heart, there is a chance the person you love can cause you pain. You have to decide if it is worth it." Carmella continued, "I have hurt your father and he has broken my heart a few times, but the love we share has made it worthwhile."

"I just feel so awkward, like a little girl with her first crush," Maria said. "I am so afraid to admit I like him, even to myself. I have done everything imaginable to make him dislike me. I feel foolish."

Carmella smiled at Maria, "That sounds like love, and I can assure you he does not dislike you. I don't think he could."

"You didn't see him with Ellen Lander! She was shameless, kissing him in the hotel lobby. He wasn't complaining any either. I can't compete with a beautiful, wealthy Anglo."

"Maria, listen to yourself! I never felt I was less than anyone else because I was Spanish! Quite the opposite. I'm proud of it. If someone is foolish enough to feel that way, it is their problem. I can assure you Emerson thinks the world of you, and you know it. I'm growing tired of your excuses and fears. You have been breaking that man's heart the past few days. Now I know why. Jealousy! Maria, I doubt there is a woman in the world that could take Emerson from you, unless you drive him away."

Emerson was awakened by a knocking on his door. He pulled on his pants and opened the door slightly. Bob, Tom. and Billy were standing in the hall.

"If you are having trouble sleeping you could play cards or something. Why did you wake me up?" asked Emerson.

Billy spoke for the group. "Emerson, get dressed. There is something we think you should know."

Billy would not tell Emerson any more until he was dressed and going out the hotel door with the others.

"Bob and I were out checking some of the night spots and we came across that damn Michael drinking with some of his cronies at a cantina a few blocks down. I want you to hear what he is saying. We got Tom up just in case."

Emerson looked at Billy. "What are you telling me? Is there going to be trouble?"

Billy answered, "Emerson, knowing you and how you feel, I would say there will be! When we get there don't let on you know Spanish."

They reached the cantina and took a table. Nearby was Michael, drinking with some men. He was as talkative as usual. The men he sat with were not what Emerson would call model citizens.

In English, they asked the bartender to bring four beers. Michael looked at Emerson's group and addressed Emerson in Spanish. Emerson smiled and waved. Michael laughed and spoke to his friends. He was calling Emerson every bad name he could think of. All the time he was laughing. If Emerson hadn't known Spanish, he never would have guessed Michael's meaning.

The group sitting at Michael's table glanced at Emerson's table and laughed. They were having a good time at Emerson's expense.

"This is no reason to get me out of bed." Emerson told his friends in a quiet voice. "He doesn't like me. I could have lived with that, and even slept through it. Let's finish our beers and get out of here."

"Just sit still and listen," Billy replied softly. "We didn't drag you down here for nothing!"

There was a good sized crowd, Emerson noted. It appeared to be cantina frequented by many of the locals. Emerson recognized several men he had seen working in several of the businesses he had visited in the past several days.

"Men," Emerson told the group. "I am going when I finish this beer. That dude can call me anything he likes. I am not going to fight with a friend of Maria's."

Bob adamantly told Emerson, "He sure isn't her friend!"

At that moment, Emerson heard Michael use Maria's name, and quite loudly. He turned his attention to Michael. Emerson felt his face glow as he listened to Maria's handsome suitor carry on. Suddenly, Emerson stood, sending his chair backward. The noise attracted the attention of the group at Estrada's table.

Emerson, in Spanish, spoke to Estrada. "You are a liar! You are lower than any dog! Tell everyone that you lie."

Michael had heard Emerson was tough, but his friends were with him and Emerson, he knew, had a bad right shoulder. Slowly Michael stood, and as he did so, he produced a knife.

Billy, Tom, and Bob were on their feet behind Emerson. Soon Michael's allies were standing as well.

Billy spoke to his friends. "This is Emerson's play, unless the others want to join in. Stand ready!"

Emerson stood still as Michael shifted the knife from one hand to the other. His sneer indicated he felt little concern for Emerson's ability to defend himself.

Tom spoke, "Billy, Emerson doesn't have a gun and only one good arm! We'd better help him!"

"Hold your ground." Billy replied. "Emerson can handle this tinhorn. If he needs or wants help he'll let us know."

At that moment, Estrada made a lunge for Emerson. Emerson stepped to his left, and tried to deflect the knife hand. Emerson's sore shoulder betrayed him. He was too slow. Estrada's knife sank into Emerson's shoulder not far from his recent bullet wound. Emerson gasped in pain, and then reached across his body and grabbed Michael's knife hand with his left. He then pulled it down and brought it behind Estrada in one quick move. Everyone in the room heard the bone in Estrada's arm break and the knife rattle on the floor..

Estrada began whimpering, like a hurt child. His friends stood where they were, surprised at the swift and brutal outcome. Estrada had sat down again, clutching his arm.

"Now, I want you to speak the truth. How well to you know Maria?" Emerson demanded.

"We are only friends. I have done nothing more than kiss her hand. She will be furious when she hears that you broke my arm," Michael whined.

Still in Spanish, Emerson grimly stated, "She may be, but if I ever hear you defame Maria in any way, I'll take that knife you like so well and cut out your heart."

With that Emerson turned and walked out the door. His friends, alert for any trouble, followed.

On the way back to the hotel, Emerson spoke to his comrades. "I appreciate what you fellows did. Now, I ask that you don't speak of this to anyone. Maria doesn't need to hear what that scum was saying."

"We won't have to talk if we don't get that bleeding stopped," Billy answered. "Maria will be able to read it in your obituary."

Returning to his room, Emerson stripped off his bloody shirt. Billy arrived with some cloths and began working on the cut. After cleaning it, Billy produced some flour and applied it to the oozing wound. As the group watched, the bleeding diminished and finally stopped. Next, Billy applied bandages to the wound.

"I think we have it, but I was worried. Emerson, how did he ever stick you?"

"I forgot my shoulder was stiff. I was too slow, and he was quick. Aren't you going to stitch me up, Billy?"

"Not with this one. It is pretty deep. You'll have to heal from the inside out. It will drain for a few days. This is going to leave a bad scar, not that it will be the first."

Bob had been watching and listening to the two friends. "You two act like you've been through this kind of thing a lot."

"I've been patching this hombre for years now. I guess it is getting to be a habit. Emerson, what are you going to tell Maria about this?" Billy asked.

"I'll keep this cut to myself. If it bothers me everyone will think it is the old bullet wound. The rest is up to Estrada. I'll see what he comes up with. I doubt it will be the truth."

Tom asked, "Emerson, I'll go along with what you say. I just wonder why you don't want to tell Maria what really happened?"

"Tell her what her beau was saying about her in a cantina full of people? I'd rather she never learns that story. I came close to using his knife on him. I knew she'd never forgive me if I did.."

"I think we have had enough excitement for the night. It's late and tomorrow is the Ball. Let's get out of here and let Emerson sleep. I can use some myself," concluded Billy.

Maria was preparing for breakfast, when she heard a knock on her door. She opened it to find Michael, his arm in a sling, standing in the hall.

"What happened to you?" asked Maria.

Michael spent the next ten minutes explaining to Maria how his arm had been broken. He had been attacked by Emerson while playing cards with a few friends in a local cantina. Emerson seemed to be in a jealous rage and may have been drinking as well. Michael knew Maria thought highly of Emerson and refused to fight. Emerson grabbed his arm and jerked it around behind him and broke it before his friends could intervene.

Emerson slept little that night. His pain had been constant and at times he ran a fever. He had never been so glad to see the sun come up. Slowly he dressed and went down for breakfast. His shoulder was extremely sore and he was unable to move it even slightly with out shuddering in pain. Still he had to eat . Over the years, Emerson had learned that food and water were essentials to a man that had lost blood.

Entering the dining room, Emerson saw that most of the people from Morgantown were already there. Billy, Bob, and Tom all watched him closely as he walked to the nearest table. With great effort, Emerson greeted everyone. No one seemed to notice anything different so he felt he was masking his pain quite well. Before he was able to sit, Ellen Lander and her father came through the doorway.

Beaming, Ellen led her father to Emerson's table. "Father couldn't believe I had found you here in Santa Fe. We got in late last night and he insisted on paying you a visit as soon as possible." Having said that, Ellen reached up and gave Emerson a quick kiss.

Before Emerson could even blush, Charlie Lander's big hand was extended to him. Emerson smiled, "Sir, it is a pleasure to see you, but I have to use my left hand . My right shoulder is pretty stiff."

"Ellen mentioned you had been shot again, son. That seems to be a common occurrence for you. I've waited a year and a half to thank you for getting Dan out of that hellhole. Reynolds said you were the man for the job, but I had some doubts. By the time it was over, I realized I had underestimated you, but not as bad as those thugs in San Cristol did!"

Emerson saw the rest of the room was watching this meeting and felt self-conscious. Maria's mother looked puzzled, as did his own mother. This was going to take some explaining, he realized.

Suddenly Maria entered the room and recognized Ellen standing alongside Emerson. She thought she could never be any more upset than she was after Michael's visit. She had been wrong! Maria's fury was complete as she marched up to Emerson.

Carmella had witnessed Ellen's kiss and familiarity with Emerson from her table. She understood that it was friendship and not romance, and felt relief for Maria. Then as her daughter entered the room, Carmella knew Maria did not see it that way. Maria strode up to Emerson before Carmella could catch her eye or in any way signal her.

Maria approached Emerson and he stood his ground, knowing Maria was angry and guessing it involved Estrada..

"I would like to ask you a couple of questions, if I may?" Maria asked in a formal tone.

"Of course, Maria," Emerson responded. "Could we talk some place more private?"

"I want my parents, and yours, to hear what you say!" Maria answered hotly. "I'd like your rich girlfriend to hear it as well! Did you fight with Michael last night? Was it in some cantina, late at night? Was my name used? Did you threaten to cut his heart out?"

Carefully, Emerson framed his response. Clearly, Maria was very angry. "The answer to those questions is yes, but I would like to speak in private with you. It isn't as damning as it looks."