Kathy and Gregg

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My eyebrows rose on that one, "I think I see your point." I joined him in taking a long pull on my drink as I pondered my next move.

"Look Frank, don't get disheartened. I have some irons in the fire and I think things might begin to change by the New Year. I also want to tell you strictly between us that I have some plans that should make Christmas a good one for you and Joan but not so much for others if you get my drift."

Frank smiled for the first time since sitting at the bar and spent the next fifteen minutes questioning me but to no avail. As we were wrapping up our meeting I smiled again, "Didn't you forget something Frank?"

He looked perplexed, "Not that I can think of Dad?"

I took him by the shoulder, "Aren't you supposed to try and convince me to be the bigger man and come for Thanksgiving?" Franks grin spread across his face like a flooding river, "Sorry, OK, are you coming for Thanksgiving Dad?" I shook my head in a negative response, "No, but I appreciate the invite."

Joan called me twice more before Thanksgiving to plead with me to come until I finally put it in perspective, "Look Joan when your mother left me for that thing last June I told her there would be no communication between us for the year she wanted off from our marriage. I have already broken that rule once at the birth of little Thomas but I won't break bread with them. Is that understood?"

The holiday came and I had a frozen dinner. I was alone and sad but in a better place than if I had had to watch Kathy and Gregg make doe eyes at each other. December rolled in and with it the specter of another family holiday. I dreaded it but knew that this would be the last one I would have to endure.

December proved to be a fruitful month. First, the company offered me a position in Spokane Washington starting in January if I was interested. I told them I was. Second, the private investigators report came back on Mr. Hollander and it was a doozy! Apparently, old Gregg had three wives who all divorced him for cheating. Add to that two children from women other than his wives which he was still paying child support on and the fact that his last wife got half of his pension in their divorce. The cherry on this messed up sundae was that Gregg was busted from E-8 to E-6 during his last year in the corps. In short, his financial and moral position seemed rather weak.

The last bit of good news is that Kathy would be served with divorce papers the first working day after Christmas. Yes, I felt the old holiday spirit flowing through me now.

I called Joan and asked her about plans for Christmas and once again she pleaded with me to make the babies first holiday a real family affair. I asked if Gregg was to be in attendance and Joan got miffed at me, "Dad you might as well get used to it. He is a part of our family now whether you like it or not." I curtly stopped her dead in her tracks, "Your right, I don't like it but for the baby's sake, I will be there."

Joan seemed truly happy as she cried out. "Thank you Daddy! This will make everyone so happy!" I was fairly confident that it wouldn't, but who was I to spoil the fun.

Two days later after getting home from work the phone was ringing and without thinking I picked it up, "Hello!" The line was awkwardly quiet and I was about to hang up when a voice finally responded, "Tom it's me Kath."

I could have been knocked over by a feather, "What's wrong Kath? Are you hurt?"

Her voice seemed timid as she spoke, "No, I'm fine Tom but I wanted to thank you for agreeing to come to Christmas. I know I have hurt you Tom and I am beginning to realize just how much, but I needed to tell you I am thankful because we have never been apart for any holiday in the last thirty years. I was miserable at Thanksgiving without you and have been thinking so much about us lately..."

I cut into her trip down memory lane. "Well Kathy I am glad to hear you actually think about us once in a while but I must point out that when you started this whole leave of absence crap I stipulated that there would be no communication between us. I have relented that rule for one day, Christmas. Therefore I think we should end this call now. Good bye." As I hung up the phone I felt terrible as I had never spoken to her as harshly in our thirty years together. But as terrible as I felt over my words it was not as terrible as I felt the day she walked out on me.

The month went slowly and I got my Christmas shopping done with plenty of time to spare. I wanted to make sure that I had gifts for everyone on Christmas day. I also packed up all the things I was taking to my new job and rented a U-Haul to drive across the country. I also talked to a nice woman in my new office who said that she had picked out a couple of very nice furnished apartments close to the office. The good news was that she was going to personally show them to me when I arrived in Spokane. Yes, things were going well for me in December.

Christmas day I arrived at Joan and Frank's to find that Kathy and her thing had already gotten there. Joan grabbed me and gave me a big hug as I came in with a bag of presents. She made a comment about what a surprise and then headed back to continue making dinner. I only smiled thinking, "If she only knew what a surprise." Frank shook my hand and took my coat as I quickly asked, "Can I see my grandson?" Frank nodded and told me he was in the nursery for a nap but I could look in.

I snuck in quietly and looked at the sleeping form before me. I felt a river of emotions running through me knowing that I would soon be leaving him but I knew I couldn't stay. I felt a movement behind me as Kathy came up silently to stand at my side. I caught the irony of it that this is where she should have been since June, by my side.

Kathy looked over at me and in a whisper said, "We have a beautiful grandson Tom."

I was filled with sadness as I responded, "Yes Kathy but who will he be growing up to call grandpa, me or moron or both?"

Kathy seemed surprised at the question, "Why you silly! You're the only grandfather this child will ever have Tom."

I quietly mumbled, "Let's hope your right Kathy." And then I left the room.

The next few hours were interesting as Frank and I socialized while Joan, Kathy and Gregg seemed to be in a world of their own. I was disappointed in how quickly my daughter had succumbed to Gregg's charms. Frank just looked disgusted but I told him to hang on as things were going to change tonight. He managed a twinkle in his eye as he conspiratorially said, "I hope so Dad, I can't stand this asshole around her much longer. At this rate he'll be making a play for Joan soon."

Dinner was served and while the food was delicious the company was lacking. Again, I did not feel the need to engage in conversation with either my wife or her paramour and Frank seemed to be rather reticent to speak also. The only one who talked was Gregg as he regaled the women with tales of his courage and fortitude in the face of the enemy. Watching Gregg with his fan club of two made me ill.

After dinner Joan brought the baby into their living room and we all sat around together. I looked at my family knowing that this would probably be the last time that this familial scene would ever be played out in my lifetime.

Joan seemed happy as she excitedly told Frank to get the gifts. When he brought them in she handed them out to her Mom, Gregg and I. Kathy got a sweater, Gregg a gift card and I got a tie. Useful if boring gifts, much like myself if my wife and daughter were to be believed. When Frank, Jane and the baby opened their gifts from Kathy and Gregg there were smiles and laughter from Joan but Frank acted polite but distant. When the kids had finished opening their gifts the room became somewhat silent as they looked to me and my bag of goodies. I finally broke that silence saying, "I want to cap this wonderful day off by giving you all the gifts that you deserve this holiday." I stood up to retrieve the bag I brought and handed Frank and Joan a large envelope in wrapped in beautiful holiday paper.

Joan ripped the paper off the envelope while Frank stood by looking on. As Joan extracted the papers contained in the envelope and scanned them she fairly screamed with joy when she realized what it was. Kathy had edged forth on her seat and seemed anxious to find out what the papers contained. Joan took no time to fill her in by screaming, "Oh Mom! Daddy gave us your house free and clear! We can now move out of this rental! Isn't that great?"

Kathy's face seemed to collapse as she looked at me with concern, "Why did you do that Tom? Where are we going to live?"

I gave her a reassuring look which I hoped would quell her fears, "Don't worry Kathy I have it all worked out. Here, this is for you as I handed her a card and a wrapped box."

Her face held out tentative hope as she tore the bright colored paper and found a bracelet inside the box. As she pulled it out with astonishment written on her face I spoke, "Look at the inside Kath, I had it inscribed." I noticed that Gregg seemed to be less than happy with my giving her a gift.

She slowly turned it over and saw the words, "Thank you for the best thirty years of my life, Tom" I glanced at idiot boy but he was still scowling over my gift.

Kathy looked confused, "Tom, thank you sweetheart. It's quite beautiful but you didn't put love on the inscription."

I smiled, "I'm sorry about that Kath but I didn't want to lie. I have lost my love for you steadily over the last few months. This bracelet is my way of saying goodbye and will be a reminder of what you gave up for your sea going bellhop. I also need to tell you that you are going to be served with divorce papers on Monday." I could clearly hear the intake of Joan's breathe ad Kathy's face sank with disbelief and despair.

I nodded to the card, "inside the card I have tried to express my thanks for giving me so many great years and a wonderful daughter. There is also a check for half of our liquid assets. The house was mine to give as you left the marriage willingly but that is all explained in the card too."

I looked at Gregg and was reminded of a volcano about to explode, "This gift is more for the two of you." I handed another large envelope to a clearly shaken Kathy, "Inside is a complete history of what your lover boy here has been doing since you two separated in high school. Apparently he never did learn what the marine motto, Semper Fidelis meant. I think you'll find it fascinating reading..." I never finished my sentence as with a roar Gregg came rushing at me menacingly growling, "I'll kill you! You son of a bitch!"

Gregg never actually got to hurt me as he violently hit the floor when my Taser struck him. Joan jumped up as did Kathy and I touched Gregg again just to make sure he wasn't coming around too quickly and getting close to him I said, "It hurts doesn't it? Well I'm here to tell you that your pain is nothing compared to losing the woman you loved for thirty years to a piece of shit like you!"

Kathy was crying like it was the end of the world when I turned back to her, "I know you think I'm boring and I don't curl your toes like Sgt. York here." I touched him with the Taser again just because I liked seeing him convulse and gave a wicked smile stating to no one in particular, "That is never going to get old!" I looked back at Kathy and with more bravado than I felt in my breaking heart, I bitterly spoke, "Anyway, I know about your feelings for this pile of shit so I'm giving you the best gift of all Kathy, you're freedom. You can now spend the rest of your life being treated like a princess during the day and having your toes curled at night. Won't that be grand?"

Kathy seemed apoplectic as she managed to get out, "No, it wasn't supposed to be like this! I was going to come back to you in June Tom! I love you!" Kathy was shaking as violently as a leaf in a windstorm when Joan ran to comfort her mother and I once again tased the hulk before Frank nervously interjected, "You'd better not do that anymore, you might kill him Dad!"

I stood up looking down at my nemesis convulsing and then at the two women I loved more than life itself. "I'll be leaving now, thank you for a wonderful day and have a great life as I won't be seeing either of you again for quite a while."

Both women seemed incapable of speech and stared at me as if they didn't know who I was anymore. Frank had retrieved my coat and handed it to me with a contented smile on his face. Before leaving I once again turned to my daughter who was looking at me for the first time in her life with fear in her eyes, "Joan let this serve as a warning to you, become a slut and you will pay the consequences." I walked to the bassinet where little Tom was looking up at me and rubbed his cheek with my finger, "So long little guy, maybe I'll see you around sometime but I somehow sense probably not." Still smiling I moved to the door and turning to the subdued room simply said, "Happy New Year folks!"

By the time I had reached my car the shock must have worn off of the women or maybe idiot boy was coming back on line but I clearly heard one plaintive voice scream, "NO!" As I got in and started the engine I thought that Vegas was on my way to Spokane sort of and I wouldn't mind seeing Miranda again. As I was backing out Frank came outside smiling and waving at me and I returned the wave before heading west to a new life.