Kristiana Pt. 02: Paradise Lost

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

~*~

I was glad Kristiana didn't have a great deal of luggage or other things. As it was, by the time I had loaded six years of clothing and other things into my Mazda hatchback, there wasn't a lot of room left. I worried a bit about all our possessions being exposed when I parked for the night at some motor inn, but Dad suggested we put a black cover over it and at least not advertise that it was there. We ended up choosing landscape fabric and it worked well in combination with the tinted windows. My mother was unusually silent when we had supper on Sunday night before I left. It was awkward and I didn't enjoy the meal as much as I should have considering the trouble she had gone to preparing it. The next morning, both of them were up to see me off even though I was leaving the house at seven, long before my mother's typical time to rise.

"I'll miss you, Richard. I hope you are doing the right thing. Please call often to let us know how you are doing," my mother said with tears now showing. It was the first sign of emotion I had seen from her in a long time and it was welcome.

We said our goodbyes and I drove off from the house, knowing I likely would never live there again. In fact, I wasn't sure when I'd see my parents again. I wasn't sad or upset about my choice to go to Switzerland. It was an opportunity to find out if I was suited to an entirely new life. Almost twenty-five, I was setting out on my own now and my life would be determined by a series of choices over the next few years.

Kristiana was yawning when I found her standing by the front door of her building. She had single-handedly brought all her things down from the apartment and was obviously anxious to go. It didn't take me long to load the items and we were off and on the road toward our first stop-over in Valencia, some six hours away. Luckily, we didn't have to backtrack to Sevilla and we were in Cordoba in time for a coffee and a rest break.

I knew Kristiana could drive and had a license, but she wasn't very keen on driving that morning, claiming she hadn't slept well the night before in anticipation of our trip. A couple of strong coffees kept me going until we stopped for lunch in Valdepeñas. Kristiana had slept for two hours as we drove along the lightly travelled A4 motorway.

We arrived in the outskirts of Valencia just after three in the afternoon. We decided to move a little further north to Sagunto, thereby escaping the big city traffic both in the afternoon and the next morning. It was a good decision and soon we were gazing out over the water. It was a pleasure to see the Mediterranean once more, sparkling in the bright, late afternoon sunlight.

We found a respectable inn off the motorway and checked in for the night. There were several restaurants in the area and we chose to eat a bit earlier than usual and retire earlier as well. Kristiana welcomed me to the big bed and we caught up on our lovemaking that evening before falling into a deep sleep. We awoke the next morning and showered together, managing to avoid sex. We did wash each other very thoroughly, however.

The continental breakfast supplied by the motor inn was nothing special, but would do us until made a rest stop further north. A break in Tarragona and reluctantly bypassing Barcelona, we were ahead of schedule by my reckoning. Sure enough, Narbonne, France, appeared shortly after two that afternoon and we decided to push on to Montpellier. That would cut more than an hour from the long drive the next day to Bellwald.

There was no reasonable short cut to avoid Geneva, Lausanne and the inevitable traffic around the lake. We resigned ourselves to getting up early and pushing through. I thought it might be seven to eight hours driving. I was sitting at the desk in our room, contemplating the long day when Kristiana wrapped her arms round my neck and kissed my ear.

"I will drive in the morning and from Lausanne in the afternoon. I know the road well and you can rest. You have taken all the responsibility so far. It is my turn."

I pulled her down onto my lap and kissed her in gratitude.

"Thank you. I accept your offer gladly. You are very good for me," I told her.

"And you are very good for me," she smiled broadly. "I will make sure you know how grateful I am tonight."

"I look forward to it. But first, I must feed us to keep our strength up."

"Yes ... let's find a nice French restaurant and have a nice meal," she said brightly.

"Agreed!

We found exactly what we were looking for not far from our inn. It was a family run restaurant and featured foods of southern France. We also shared a bottle of red wine from the Rhone Valley. It was excellent and made our meal that much more enjoyable. We were on the home stretch now, and I could feel the anticipation in both of us. Kristiana would be home again while I would be starting a new job with no idea of what it held in the future.

Kristiana let me take the first section the next morning, since we had to navigate our way around the motorways of Montpellier. She took over at our first rest break at Valence and drove straight through to Saint Didier-de-la-Tour. She drove well and within a few minutes, I could relax and put my head back.

We stopped at Saint Didier for lunch, where I took over once again for the next segment that took us to Geneva and then Lausanne. One final rest break and we were off with Kristiana guiding us to the Glacier Aletsch Hotel. It was after five when we arrived and both of us were stiff from being confined in the car for several hours at a time.

As we climbed out, Kristiana waved to Karl and he immediately came to her and embraced her, hugging her to him. It was clear they were very close. I went into the lobby and was immediately spotted by Hedda, who quickly came out from behind the front desk and hugged me in welcome.

She tapped the bell lightly and Jan appeared in less than a minute. I got another genuine welcome as did Kristiana as she came into the lobby, chatting with Karl. After the initial welcomes had ended, I pulled a luggage cart out to my car and began to unload. Where we were going to put everything was a mystery. There certainly wasn't enough space in my shared room for all of it.

Hedda and Jan solved the problem. Kristiana had her own room and her possessions would go there without any trouble. My gear would be sorted by priority. Winter clothes (not that I had a lot) would go in locked storage at the rental building, along with various books and other things that were not immediately necessary. I could always get them when needed.

Karl welcomed me back to his room (as I thought of it) and we continued our comfortable co-existence from my first visit. I liked the man almost immediately upon meeting him and he appeared to like me. That was a good thing considering our confined quarters.

~*~

The next three months went by much faster than I expected. I was in a constant learning mode, happy to be busy during the day and doing such a variety of tasks that I couldn't possibly be bored. I had chosen well and I absorbed far more than I could possibly have learned in a larger, corporate hotel. But above all, I liked the job. I liked the people and I liked the job.

Of course, Kristiana was with me every night, making all this even more worthwhile. At first it was awkward until I was confident that I wasn't upsetting her parents. They had a very liberal attitude toward their daughter and me. I was beginning to have thoughts about our long-term future. Was it too soon? Was I ready for marriage and a family? I wasn't sure.

The four of us and Karl would sit around and talk about what would make the hotel better and what new ideas we had for entertaining our guests. I had become the resident computer guru, although it didn't require much to take on that role. I looked after updating the website, as well as upgrading the accounting, billing and reservation software.

I took on producing a daily newsletter for the guests that would be slipped under their door early each morning. We got a lot of feedback about how much people appreciated that. We told them what was going on in the town and the surrounding districts and even what was on at the town playhouse. A couple of our food suppliers let us know when they had specials on sale. They each took an advertising box once a week.

As the summer was winding down, Jan came to see me.

"Richard, you have done very well here this summer. I am very pleased with all your help and ideas. Do you plan to leave in September, or could we convince you to stay for our winter season?"

"I would like to stay if there is a job for me," I assured him. I didn't say anything about Kristiana having a big part of that decision.

"Excellent! We have some work to do in the rental building to prepare for the winter, but that will keep us busy until the first snow falls."

"If you don't mind, I would like to go back to Seville and see my parents before they leave for Canada."

"Of course. I'm sure they will be anxious to see you too. Let me know when you want to go."

"They aren't leaving until early October, so mid-September would be best."

"We will have no trouble managing the hotel when you are away," he assured me.

"I won't be gone long. Kristiana would get on my case if I was," I grinned.

I was making no secret of my feelings for their daughter and I had a sense that they approved. I wasn't about to push Kristiana too quickly, but I thought I was falling in love with her and I wanted to do something that would acknowledge it to her. As far as I could tell, she felt the same about me.

I returned to Sevilla the third week of September, leaving my car behind and taking the train and plane both ways. My father met me at the airport and we had a chance to talk on the half-hour ride to the house.

"I'm really happy up there, Dad. They are super people to work for and I like the job. I've learned a lot and I think this is what I want to do."

"Good for you, Richard. I'm glad you've found something. You'll be much happier than trying to fit yourself into someone else's mould."

I couldn't help but detect the comment on my mother's attitude about my career choice.

"You must be happy to get this job finished, even though it means leaving Sevilla," I said.

"Yes. I spent as much time with bureaucrats in government offices as I did on the jobsite. Six years to do a four year job. I'm just happy it's over with."

"So, you're heading for Vancouver first, then Reno?"

"Yes. We'll stop in and renew old acquaintances and get our papers in order to move to the U.S. We've got a couple of months to make the move, find a house, and get settled. I start January first."

"After six years, it's probably going to take some getting used to resuming your old way of life," I suggested.

He nodded. "No doubt. However, your mother is anxious to go now and I think that will help a lot if she is happy. She liked it here, but it took a while for her to adjust to the lifestyle. It will be a lot easier in Reno. Your mother isn't a gambler, so that's something I won't have to worry about."

My mother's welcome was nice, but not overly enthusiastic. She knew I was returning to Bellwald and planned to continue working there. I deliberately didn't tell her that this was going to be my career choice. There was no need to stir up further aggravation.

I'd only been gone three months, but I thought I detected a change in the relationship between my mother and father. I couldn't define it, but it seemed that they weren't as close as they once were. Perhaps it had been developing over a longer period of time and I simply hadn't noticed. I pushed the thought to the back of my mind and we spent a pleasant five days together. It would be some time before I saw them again and I wanted us to stay connected. We could use Skype or e-mail or phone, but I wanted to stay in touch.

I returned to Bellwald on the 28th of September and this time I took the train from Lausanne to Fiesch, only a few minutes from my destination. Jan was right. It was like being on a scenic streetcar. We made a countless number of stops with barely five or ten minutes between them. A single electric locomotive pulled the lone passenger car beside the path of the highway. I watched as the cars and trucks readily passed us along the way.

Kristiana met me at the station. That was a pleasant surprise and I suppose we put on a bit of an over-enthusiastic display when I stepped off the coach. I'd only been gone a week, but I received a long-lost-lover welcome.

"How are your parents?" she asked as we drove the short distance to Bellwald.

"Pretty good. Mom's still pretty quiet about my staying here. I didn't talk about it and she didn't ask, so I guess she's still upset I'm not going back to Canada."

"What does your father think?"

"He's fine," I sighed. "He rolls with the punches. I mean ... he doesn't get too upset about some things. He understands me and supports me, so I don't have to worry about that. We had a nice talk while I was there. I think Dad is happy to be going back and Mom seems to be adjusted to the idea too."

"Is there something you are not telling me?" she asked.

Damn! She was picking up on what I was thinking. How did she do that?

"I'm not sure about this, but I can feel some tension between them. I don't know why and it isn't out in the open, but I can feel it."

Kristiana remained silent and our conversation ceased at that point. We rolled into the parking lot and I grabbed my bag and we walked into the hotel. I was back where I belonged.

~*~

I got a whole new education in the next three months. How to keep yourself busy when there were few guests and not enough work to do. Jan, Karl and I worked in the rental shop getting the equipment ready for the winter season. Everything needed to be inspected and where repairs were necessary they were done and logged. Every item from skis to snowboards to boots to poles to kids' toboggans was marked and coded as part of inventory.

Just for the hell of it, I started a database on the equipment. It would show when any item was rented, for how long, and how many times for each quarter. I wasn't sure in the beginning if it had any use, but I set the system up so that I could update it daily or as often as I had time. Maybe some useful information would come of it.

Jan and Karl usually did the repairs required in the rooms and the outside of the buildings, but there was little needed this fall. We had to replace a cook who appeared to have a drinking problem that was causing him to be unreliable. That was the biggest problem we had since cooks for ski resort locations were in short supply. Luckily, we found a woman who was anxious for a change in locations. We discovered afterwards that she was fleeing an abusive relationship. It was doubtful her former partner would come looking for her in Bellwald.

The first snows arrived in mid-November and by December 10th we had a good ski base and a full hotel. Operating the hotel in winter was completely different than summer. For one thing, keeping the floors clean from the snow and dirt tracked in was a constant job. We had to clear the parking lot regularly. The heat and hot water systems were in constant action and the dining room was always busy from noon onward.

None of this discouraged me in the slightest. The consistent good humour of the staff and management and the support I got from the Nordberg family as well as Karl was the method I used to charge my batteries. I was off Tuesday and Wednesday each week as Friday and Monday were the most common check in and check out days. Saturday and Sunday were extra busy with day skiers coming in for lunch or dinner, adding to our traffic. The rental business required constant attention.

Christmas came and I was welcomed, along with Karl, to celebrate with the Nordbergs. I felt this was my second family already. I was in touch with my parents by Skype or e-mail weekly, but most of my communications were with my father. I was getting an uneasy feeling about them, but when I asked, I was told all was well. I don't think I talked to my mother more than a couple of times in the four months since I'd returned to Bellwald.

I bought some gifts for my four friends, choosing a nice pendant for Kristiana. I wanted to give her a promise ring, but couldn't find one in the limited shops I was able to get to. Christmas wasn't an extravagant affair for them and I was grateful for that. It wasn't a matter of money, but more of what I could buy that would be meaningful to them. I used the Internet to order most of my gifts and I was satisfied that it was the best alternative to not having the major shops of the big cities available.

I visited Kristiana's room regularly. I doubt we were fooling anyone, least of all Karl, but as long as we didn't embarrass anyone, it was fine. We had settled into a comfortable relationship that was defined by the sex we regularly enjoyed. Her days off were Wednesday and Thursday, while mine were Tuesday and Wednesday. That left only one day that we could be together. However, since we had rooms only a few paces apart, it was easy for me to visit her in the evenings.

~*~

I remember distinctly when it all changed. It was Tuesday, January 2nd, the day after New Year's Day. I was off but had been hanging around the rental building, wondering what to do. Kristiana was on the welcome desk, busy as a number of our guests were checking out. I saw him first when he walked into the hotel and looked at the reception area, spotting my girlfriend.

He was big. Six-foot-four I guessed, with a shock of blonde hair and craggy good looks. He had an air about him that spoke of confidence if not arrogance. He strode to the desk and announced himself.

"I am Lars Halvorsen," he announced in accented English. "You have a room for me, pretty lady?"

The look on Kristiana's face told it all. She was struck by his presence and almost forgot to respond. She quickly looked at the reservations screen on the computer and nodded, still having said nothing. She pushed the registration form across the desk to the big man and stood almost comatose as he filled it out.

He finished the form and gave her a big smile and pushed the form back to her.

"You are not talking today?" he asked with a toothy smile.

Kristiana stammered her replay, apologizing in a low voice and fumbling with the key to his room.

"Ah hah ... you do have a voice," he said louder than necessary.

Kristiana was now completely confounded. She didn't know what to say or do. She just stood there, staring at the big man.

"I'm sure we will see each other again, young lady. I will welcome it."

With that, he picked up his large sport bag and headed down the hallway toward his room. I rose from my chair and walked to the desk.

"Are you all right?" I asked her.

"Yes," she sighed. "He was such a shock. I had no idea it was that Lars Halvorsen."

"You know him? Who is he?"

"He is a very famous Swedish skier and movie star. He was on the Swedish national team for many years and now he makes movies I think."

"Really," I said somewhat disdainfully. "Well, we have a celebrity at our hotel. How long is he staying?"

"Five days," she said, looking at the registration form.

"Well, you'll have plenty of time to work your wiles on him," I snorted.

"What is wiles?"

"It means you'll have plenty of time to impress him."

"Oh." She looked mildly upset and uncomfortable, but I suppose that was understandable in the presence of greatness.

I was curious about this guy, so I went back to my room and looked up Lars Halvorsen on Google. It made for interesting reading. He was indeed a member of the Swedish national team. Never a winner and his career ended ten years earlier. He was in his late thirties and was now listed as retired and working as a ski instructor. His so-called movie career amounted to a couple of bit parts in a German production that required some legitimate skiers for a few scenes and Lars was one of several who were hired to fill that role. He had no speaking part, according to the report.