Light a Shuck

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The woman fired at the men in the wagon again and hit one of them. He fell with a scream and she calmly took careful aim and shot him again. The other man in the wagon rose up slightly to take aim at the woman and Seth managed to shoot him. He was still taking fire occasionally, from the remaining man. Seth moved slowly, carefully, circling around toward where he thought the last man was hidden. Finally, he saw the man move as he searched for sight of Seth. He snapped off a shot and was rewarded with a scream. The man lurched away from the tree he was hiding behind and the young woman fired at him. He grunted and fell to the ground.

Seth stood carefully behind a tree and said, "Ma'am, I think that was all of them. I counted six and we have shot six. Were there any more?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Ma'am, I mean ya no harm. I am coming in now if that is alright with you."

"Come on in sir. I think I can trust you. And thank ya fer helping with these galoots. I was mighty afeared there fer a spell."

When Seth walked up near the wagon he saw the dejected young woman kneeling beside the three people he had seen lying in the dust before he began shooting the bandits. She looked up at him with tears running down her cheeks and said, "What am I going to do now? They done kilt ma and pa and my brother. They are the only family I had. We were heading for Independence, MO, to hook up with a wagon train to Oregon. Now they are all dead and I have no way to support myself."

"Well ma'am, I cannot properly answer that question for you but I can offer my help for now. As hot as it is, we surely do need to get yer kin buried real quick like. Do ya want to do it here or try to find a preacher to do the service up fancy?"

"I suppose we should just get to it. I do not have the money to pay a preacher or no undertaker. If you would be so kind as to dig the graves for me, I would be obliged."

"Surely, ma'am." Seth walked to the wagon and took a shovel from the side where it was racked. He moved away from the trail a short distance and began digging while the young woman took the valuables off all the bodies. She piled the belongings of the ones Seth killed separately from those of her family and the two she killed. After that task was completed, she began preparing her family for burial. That wasn't much of a task since all she did was wash the blood off their bodies and straighten their clothes.

After the graves were dug and the bodies placed in them, the young woman stood gazing at her family for a moment. Finally, she said a short prayer and looked at Seth as she said, "Thank ya fer tha diggin'. Now, if ya would be so kind, could ya please finish and cover 'em up?"

"Yes, ma'am. You just go on back to the wagon and rest a spell while I finish up here then we will try to find ya a town to settle up in until you decide what you aim to do now."

After Seth finished covering up the graves, he took the shovel back to the wagon. The woman looked up at him when he returned and gave him a slight smile. She said, "Thank ya again fer yer hep. I fixed a bite of lunch and there is fresh coffee if you are hungry."

"That I am, and much obliged, ma'am. It has been too long since breakfast, and some grub would go down right nice."

After they finished their meal, the woman quickly cleaned up and loaded the wagon again. While she was doing that, Seth watered the horses. The woman watched him water the last one and then said, "I know I don't have a right to ask, but could you ride along with me until we find someplace safe for me to stop? I'll be happy to cook fer ya and share what grub I have ifn ya will." She gasped and continued, "Oh, I am so sorry. I don't know your name. I am Amanda Cooper. Folks usually calls me Mandy, though, and I would like it if you would, too."

Seth smiled and said, "Good to meet you, Mandy. I am Seth Thomas at your service. Now, we best be on our way if you are ready."

Mandy turned to the wagon and started to climb aboard. Seth quickly moved to help her, then he mounted his horse and they moved down the road, once again heading west.

Midafternoon, Seth was riding his horse beside the wagon and Mandy said, "Seth what am I going to do? Pa had a small stash and I took some money from those galoots what I kilt, but it will not last forever."

"I do not know what to tell you, Mandy. I suppose you will do whatever you have to so ya kin live. That is about all any of us do. We find work we can do and work at it to build a life as best we can. If we are lucky we find someone to share the good times and bad with and raise a family."

"I know that, but I have no skills. I was raised on a farm and all I know is cookin', cleanin' and caring for the garden and critters. Now I have no farm and no man to do the heavy work. "

"We will find something for you, Mandy. If ya are still set on going to Oregon by way of Independence, MO, though, ya will have to turn north, soon. I am not heading that way, at least now right now. I aim to go just straight west: maybe a little north of west as the trail takes me until I find someplace that feels right. Ya are welcome to travel with me ifn ya want, or ya kin stop any time it suits yer fancy."

"Oh, thank ya, Seth. I will do that. I will cook and keep yer clothes clean until we part ways." After that conversation, Seth heeled his horse and trotted off ahead of the wagon a small distance looking for a good place to stop for the night. He was careful not to get too far ahead of Mandy, keeping the wagon in sight at all times.

The days continued and all were of a sameness. They got up before the sun, ate, hitched and saddled, then traveled through the dry heat until time to stop once again for the night. Of course, from time to time they did travel through towns of varying sizes, occasionally stopping for supplies and news of the trail.

By the time they reached the Mississippi river they had settled into a routine and became very comfortable with each other. They spent one full day traveling north along the river, hunting a ferry to cross the river.

After they were across the river on the Arkansas side they angled a little more south in their travels but generally followed the trails that were easiest to travel on. It was well into the summer before they reached Little Rock, AR. They stopped for several days while they each looked over the town and Mandy looked for a job. Seth also made sure the wagon was in good repair, animals shod and tack repaired if needed. He purchased what supplies he thought he would need for his future travels. He also found a gunsmith who could convert his revolver to fire the same cartridges his Henry rifle used. These expenses took almost all his remaining cash. He did find a saloon owner willing to purchase 4 of the gallons of shine he still carried, so he had a small stash to use in the future.

When they were returning to their rooms after supper one evening after they had been in town for almost a week, Seth said to Mandy, "I need to be moving on, Mandy. I aim to leave tomorrow morning." He opened her hotel room door and turned to hand her the key after he said that. She was standing with a shocked look, a scared look, on her face.

"All right. I understand." She entered the room and turned, hand on the door, looked at Seth and said, "Good night Seth. I will see you in the morning before you pull out won't I?"

"Of course, Mandy. We will have breakfast together one last time in the dining room."

After she closed the door to her room, Mandy listened as Seth walked down the hall and opened his door in the room next to hers. She then moved slowly to the bed, and sat, almost collapsed, on it. She looked out the window at the dusk and bit her lip. She never lit the kerosene lamp in the room and sometime after full dark, she undressed and crawled into the lumpy bed.

Breakfast the next morning was subdued as the two young people tried to ignore the subject of moving on. Before Seth was even half done with his meal, Mandy stood and said, "Seth, you finish your meal. I have something I have to do."

Seth rose like a gentleman as Mandy stood. He said, "Is there something I can help you with, Mandy?"

"No. well maybe, but I will talk about it with you before you leave if you will let me. I'll meet you at the livery." Mandy turned and hurried from the room. Seth resumed his seat and dove back into his breakfast, wondering what Mandy needed to do in such an all fired hurry.

The sun was still not up when Seth walked into the livery stable and began saddling his horse. He was surprised when he heard a wagon jingle into the street in front of the stable. He turned and saw Mandy sitting on the seat watching him. "Mandy! What are you doing here?"

She looked guilty and bit her lower lip before saying, "I am hoping ya will let me go along with ya again, Seth. I got nothing here and the only work I could find is not fit fer a decent woman. Ya do not mind if I travel a ways farther with ya, do ya?"

Seth smiled and walked up beside the wagon. He said, "No, Mandy. I do not mind at all. I will be glad for the company but, I have to tell you we are heading into some wilder country now. You need to be extra careful and keep your pistols close to hand."

Mandy smiled and said, "Thank ya, Seth." She flicked the reins on her team of mules and said, "Now get up. Let us get moving. We are burning daylight here." Seth smiled and followed along, riding beside Mandy as she guided the team and her wagon onto the street, once again heading west.

Over the next week, the trail became more difficult to navigate as they encountered some small hills and the local equivalent of mountains. They were headed in the general direction of Ft. Smith, AR, but Seth was still undecided on his final destination. They began hearing about Indians "on the warpath" and became even more careful during their travels.

After they crossed into Texas at Ft. Smith, Seth turned more northerly, headed for the Indian territories. He had no reason for that other than he thought the travel was easier and he heard of less danger from Indians there.

After several days of travel, Seth and Mandy were talking as they rode along. He said, "Mandy, this area isn't at all like my old home in the Tennessee mountains, but it pulls at me. Many of these Indians around here were resettled here from back home and Alabama. They were forced to move here and followed what is being called the Trail of Tears. We have meet Creek, Cherokee and Osage Indians and have had no trouble from them. I'm thinking I might try to find me a place hereabouts and stay a spell."

"It is a right nice country and there appears to be plenty of water, but what would you do?"

"Well, I don't rightly know. Just settle in if the Indians will let me and go to farming I suppose. Indians have to eat just like white folks, and I bet they would trade for food."

They rode along in silence for a few moments, Mandy worrying once again about what would happen to her if Seth stopped. She sighed and thought 'he is the densest man I think I have ever met'.

Mandy was trying to decide what to say to Seth when they heard gunfire coming from ahead. Like an avenging angel, Seth heeled his horse and took off for the sound. Before he was out of hearing he yelled to Mandy, "Stop yer wagon on that there rise over there and take cover. Be sure ya have plenty of ammunition and weapons. I will be back when I see what is happening up ahead."

Mandy turned the wagon off the trail and parked it under the only three trees on the rise. She laid out her weapons and extra ammunition, then settled down to wait for Seth, being as watchful as she could.

Seth soon arrived in the vicinity of the gunshots. There was a small group of Indian women and children with three young braves clustered together trying to fight off four whites on horses. Seth rode up close to the whites and started to ask why they were shooting at the Indians, when one of them took a shot at him.

Well, that made the decision for Seth. He quickly reined away from the confrontation until he came to a rock large enough to hide behind. He jumped from his horse, pulling his Henry as he did. He quickly took position and began firing at the men on horseback. He hit the first one he shot at, and missed the second. He winged the third one, but he wasn't sure where. He saw him lurch in the saddle just after he fired, however.

With an oath the two uninjured men and the one he winged turned their horses toward him and came at a gallop. Seth continued firing, as did the horsemen. He shot the horse out from under the leader and was aiming at the other uninjured man when he was hit in his left forearm. He could no longer hold his rifle and fire, so he dropped it and pulled his pistol.

Two of the Indian braves began running after the men on horses. They were in range with their bows and arrows just as the uninjured man took aim at Seth. Seth shot and missed. An arrow fired by the leading Indian didn't. The braves arrived and quickly pulled the injured man from his horse and subdued him. They then moved carefully to Seth.

Seth was worried. Back home he had played with Indian children when he was young and had noting against Indians per se, however, this was the West. Even though the "five civilized tribes" settled this part of the Territories, he didn't know how they would treat him here and now.

One of the braves looked at Seth, then handed his bow to his companion and knelt beside Seth. He reached for his arm then hesitated and began to pull Seth's shirt from his pants. As the shirt pulled out of his pants Seth screamed and doubled forward. Damn, his side hurt! Until that moment he hadn't realized he was shot in the side, also.

The Indian grunted and nodded to his companion who took off for the small group they had been defending. When he was partway there he yelled in Cherokee, and two of the women moved toward him at a run. Seth was surprised he understood most of what was said.

Through his pain, Seth said, in Cherokee, "My woman waits there," and gestured toward where he told Mandy to stop.

The Indian grunted once again and said, "Our medicine woman will help, then we will take you to your woman. Why did you help us? What are you doing in our land?"

"You needed help so I helped. I am looking for a home and am traveling until I find a place I like."

The Indian tensed at that statement and said, "You would take Cherokee land? This was given us in treaty."

"No, no. I would take nothing from any man, white or Indian if it was not freely given. I had not thought of taking land here. I only told you what I was doing traveling through here."

The Indian relaxed once again then said, "I am called Wolf Killer."

Seth smiled and said, "I am Seth Thomas. When I was young the Cherokee called me Fish Catcher."

"You were friend of Cherokee?"

"Yes. In Tennessee we lived near many Cherokee and called them friend. We traded and helped as needed."

"Is good. We have some here from your Tennessee. You and your woman must come to our camp while you heal."

The women had by that time done all they could for Seth's wounds. One of the young boys caught Seth's horse and led him to him. The Indians helped Seth climb onto the rock, then mount Toby. They caught the three living horses from the white attackers and took what they wanted from the bodies. When Seth turned toward where the wagon was supposed to be, all the Indians followed along.

Mandy was scared when she saw Seth slumping in the saddle, heading toward her surrounded by Indians. She didn't know what to do. Should she shoot? Was he a captive? Were they coming for her now? Finally, she stood and held her pistol at her side as she watched the group ride up.

She saw Seth was injured and quickly put her pistol in the holster. She rushed to him and said, "Damn you, Seth, I told you to be careful. What would I do if you got yourself killed? Let me see your wound."

The Indians who understood English laughed when they heard her. She helped Seth down and quickly made him a bed under the trees in the shade. To her surprise, the Indians set up a camp nearby. The Indian women immediately began building a fire and preparing a meal while she checked Seth's wounds. Luckily, both bullets were through and through. The shot in his side was barely under the skin in the meat and did not hit his intestines.

Mandy cleaned the wounds again and worked some of Seth's white lightning into them. After Mandy finished with him, Seth carefully lay down leaning partially on a down tree trunk while he watched the activity around him. Slowly, most of the Indian braves moved over and sat nearby. Wolf Killer sat the closest to him, and they occasionally spoke to each other. They knew some of the same people, so a tentative friendship developed because of that and because of the help Seth gave them earlier that day.

For two days Seth convalesced and the Indians camped. Then, on the third morning, Wolf Killer told Seth over breakfast, "We will return to our village today, since we have killed enough game and gathered enough food. Will you come with us?"

"Yes, my friend. I long to see people from home, perhaps to even see someone I knew from there."

It was a full days travel to the camp and part of the second one. When they arrived Seth was impressed. There was a bustling little village with, perhaps, 150-200 people living and working in it. They called it by the name of a Creek town from northern Alabama from which most of the residents came. The town's Creek name was Rekackv (pronounced thlee-Kawtch-kuh), meaning broken arrow. (The new Creek settlement was located several miles south of present-day downtown Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.)

Seth found himself relaxing and content, living with the Indians. The land was nothing like that in eastern Tennessee, but it was somehow pleasing to him. He felt no urge to continue his trek west, yet he was unsettled. One morning, as she was checking his wounds, Seth reached out and ran his hand over Mandy's face. She stopped and looked at him, partly with shock, partly with hope then pressed her cheek to his hand, capturing it against her shoulder.

Seth sighed and said, "I am going to miss you so much when you find what you are looking for and leave me. You and your help has come to mean more to me than you can ever know, Mandy."

Mandy's eyes flashed when he said that and she said, "Seth Thomas, sometimes you make me so angry I could just pack up and leave. How can you be so blind? Ohhhh." She turned and stomped off. He watched as she worked around the fire clanging pans and making more noise than necessary as she worked.

Wolf Killer watched Mandy for a moment then walked over and sat beside Seth. He said, "Your woman does not seem too pleased with you this morning. Have you done something to anger her?"

"I do not know what is wrong, my friend. She was tending my wound and I told her I appreciated her help and concern and was going to miss her when she left. She became angry then for some reason. "

Wolf Killer looked at Seth in shock and said, "Why is she leaving? I have heard nothing of this?"

"She isn't, or at least she has not told me she was. We were just travelling together after her family was killed. I told her I would protect and help her until she found a place she wanted to stay. I do not want her to leave, but at some time I expect her to do so."

Wolf Killer looked at Seth and shook his head before saying, "I think you do not see into the soul of this woman my friend. She is your woman. She will not leave you unless you force her to do so. When she came to you, she gave herself fully to you. A blind man can see that in her eyes."

"But she didn't. I mean we haven't. I am protecting her and helping her, that's all."