Light a Shuck

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Wolf Killer looked even more shocked and said, "My friend, you make a great mistake. You must look inside yourself and see how it is, then you must tell this woman what you see before it is too late."

The rest of that day Mandy was very withdrawn, but she continued her work as she always did. Seth spent many hours watching her and thinking about their journey.

Early the next morning, Seth walked over to the Chief's tent and asked if he could talk. The Chief allowed him to sit and said, "It is good to see you moving more again, Fish Catcher."

"Thank you, Chief. I have been very happy here with you and your people. I know this is your land by treaty but I wish to stay here and grow vegetables and, perhaps, a few horses and cattle. If I find a place I like nearby, would the people allow me to build a cabin and barn and use the land?"

The Chief looked into the distance for a moment before speaking. "You are a friend to the people. You have shed blood for us. You and your woman are as one with us. You are welcome to remain here for as long as you wish."

They sat in silence for some time as the sun broke fully over the trees to the east then Seth said, "I will go look for a place to build my house now. Thank you, Chief."

Seth went straight to his horses and saddled Toby. He did not see Mandy nearby so rode out on his mission of discovery without telling her where he was going. Seth rode north and west of the village then circled back to the east before turning back south toward the village once again. Several times he stopped and spent more time looking over a potential house site. There were many small streams nearby, as well as the Arkansas River.

He was careful to only look at potential home sites that would be above high water. The site also needed to be situated so at least some of the land could be irrigated from the streams if he had need. Of course, water for cattle and horses was considered, too.

It was almost full dark when Seth rode slowly into their camp. He had a nice young deer field dressed and tied on the rear of his horse when he arrived. Mandy met him near the fire when he stopped. "Where have you been? I was worried sick about you! All anyone knew was they saw you ride off early this morning."

"I needed some time to think and make some plans. Besides, I knew we could use some more meat. Can it wait until tomorrow? I want to ride out with you and show you something, then we can talk."

Mandy sighed in exasperation and said, "I suppose it can. I swear, sometimes you make me so angry, Seth Thomas. I don't know what I am going to do with you."

The next morning after a quick meal just at sunrise, Seth and Mandy set out. They took almost the same route Seth took the day before. The ride was quicker, however, because he knew where he was going this time. They stopped and rambled around at the same places Seth stopped the day before. They took longer at the stops than Seth had the day before, however. At one particular place, a small hill overlooking a stream with a spring bubbling from the hillside, Seth took much longer and suggested they have their lunch.

After they had eaten, Seth turned to Mandy and said, "I think I have found where I was meant to be, Mandy. I like it here and I like the Indians and few whites who live nearby, also. For the most part, they are good people. Wolf Killer made me realize a day or two ago that I do not see things around me as well as I thought I did.

"Mandy, you aren't looking for a place to leave me and live, are you? He called you my woman and I realized that he was right, or he should be right. Mandy, you have been my woman, my wife in almost every way for months but I have been too blind to see it. Would you be my wife now in every way, Mandy? The thought of you ever leaving me tears me up. I do love you and I am sorry I never told you before now."

Mandy began crying and threw herself into Seth's arms. She madly kissed his face and lips as she pressed her body against his. Finally, she pushed back from him and wiped her face before saying, "Finally! I was beginning to think you were never going to love me and want me. Yes. Yes, Seth Thomas, I will be your wife.

"Was that what this interminable wandering was about today? You were trying to work up the courage to ask me that?"

"No, Mandy. Well partly. I was showing you the places I thought might work for our house and farm. Of the four places we stopped and looked over carefully, do you have one you prefer?"

"Oh, Seth, wherever you decide to settle is fine with me. You know best, I am sure."

"Well, I like to think I know a good place for a home and farm but you have lived on one your entire life and you know where you feel more comfortable. Any one of the four places would work, but some are better than others."

Mandy looked around before saying, "I think I like this spot the best. We are close to a nice small stream, the Arkansas River is not too far to the west and I think we could water some crops from this stream and water a garden from the spring if we needed to."

"Good. This was my first pick, also. I have already spoken with the Chief, and he agreed to allow us to build and work the ground. I promised him we would trade or sell meat and crops to them when we had them to spare. I intend to hire some of his people to help us occasionally also."

A much happier Mandy and Seth slowly rode into the small Indian town of Broken Arrow that evening. By bedtime, knowledge of the changes in Seth's family were well known. By morning, they were very well known. For once, when they went to bed, Seth and Mandy did not go directly to sleep and when they did sleep they were snuggled together for a change.

The marriage and cabin building went well, and the only outward sign of change was in sleeping arrangements and displays of affection. As might be expected, by the end of the summer, Mandy was expecting their first child. The birth came, after a long painful labor, in early April 1869. Mother and son, Spencer Thomas, were doing well.

That first summer, a strange but fortunate thing happened. A cattle drive headed for Sedalia, Mo made its way near Broken Arrow and the Thomas farm. Unfortunately for the Thomas's, one of their small fields was trampled by the moving cattle, even with the best efforts of the drovers to keep them away from the growing wheat. What wasn't trampled was eaten as the cattle moved slowly through.

Seth was angry and afraid of the consequences of losing almost one fourth of his wheat crop for the year. He found the trail boss, who was also the owner of the drive and complained heatedly to him about the damage.

Jase Tolliver, the herd owner, sat on his horse as he listened to Seth complain. One of the hands rode up and said, "Boss, this's tha galoot whats been causin all tha trouble. I'll take care of him," then drew his pistol.

Almost without seeming to move, Seth drew from his crossdraw holster, fired twice and watched as the cowhand was thrown off his saddle. He kept his pistol out and pointed toward the owner and few hands still nearby as he said, "Is that the way it's going to be? You're going to ride roughshod over my crops and then try to shoot your way out of it?"

The owner shook his head and said, "No, Sir, it's not. Johnny there has always been a hothead. I would not have hired him if I could have found a better man. I was just about to offer ya some of my beeves for the loss of yer crop before he barged in. How would 25 head of prime stock set with ya? Is that enough to pay fer the damage? 'Course ya gets ta keep Johnny's possibles, too, since ya kilt him fair and square."

Seth relaxed a little and reloaded his pistol before holstering it. Seth thought for a moment, doing the arithmetic in his head. He heard cattle were selling for $13-$15 at the railhead and as high as $30 back East. Even if the cattle were only worth ten dollars, that would be $250, which was more than he could sell the wheat they had ruined for. He relaxed even more and said, "Yes, Sir. That would be acceptable but I have to warn ya, I have no one to drive them. Would ya be willing to deliver them over yonder ta my house? I have a small pen we can put them in until I can fence off a field fer 'em."

"Yes, Mr. Thomas, we can do that. I even have a couple of no 'count cowboys what can help with your fence if ya want."

Seth smiled and said, "Then we got us a deal, sir. I thank ya kindly. Now I will be on my way back to my place to get ready fer them cattle."

As Seth turned his horse for home he heard a yell from behind. "Joe, you and Bill cut out 25 of the best beeves ya kin find and deliver 'em over to Mr. Thomas' place. I want ya ta stay and help him finish a field fence fer 'em 'fore ya catch up ta tha drive, too."

"Yes sir, Boss."

Late that evening Seth and Mandy heard bellowing and lowing mixed in with male voices as a large herd of cattle were moved into the barnyard. Seth came out of the barn and stood watching as the hands moved the cattle along. He quickly moved to open a gate into a small paddock for them to drive the cattle into.

After the cattle were penned, up he stood as the men rode up to him. "Ya all light and set a spell if ya want. Mandy here was about ta make us some supper. It will not be any trouble ta make ya some, too."

"Thank ya kindly, sir. We would like that. Been a long time since we had real home cooked food made by a lady," said the cowboy Seth took to be the leader of the three man group.

Seth looked at the cattle milling in the pen a moment and said, "That sure looks like some more than the 25 head ya was supposed ta bring, and them is some better looking cattle than most. I do not rightly recognize them."

"Yes Sir, it is. We brung cows what had young calves what might not make it all the way anyway. Most all them young 'uns would either die on the trail or in the box cars after they got loaded. Some of the buyers will not even load anything less than 6 months old so ya got them young beeves, too. We even got ya a nice bull there. These is some of tha first we brung ta market what was bread by a Hereford bull sos ya gots some real fine cow flesh here fer eatin' or makin' yer own herd."

"Well, I am obliged. I been meanin' ta get some cow critters, but had not got enough money ahead fer it yet."

"Oh, I almost fergot." He turned and said, "Hey Curley bring Johnny's other hoss over heah fer Mr. Thomas. It is rightfully his'n, also."

After the evening meal, the three cowhands pushed away from the table and Joe said, "Them was some fine vittles, ma'am. Do not know when I had better. Thank ya."

He turned to Seth and said, "Tha boss done tolt us we was ta hep ya make a fence fer them critters. If ya shows us where ta do it we will get on it early tomorra."

Seth looked out and saw there was still enough light so he said, "Sure. Follow me." He led the men out and showed them where the fence was to go. There was a small meadow with the spring running through it, lush with grass. Just fence in this meadow and run a fenced in lane down here to tha barn lot so I kin move tha critters by myself. I will help ya when I get my chores done tomorrow. Ya kin use trees fer posts if ya want so ya do not have ta cut so many. There is a thicket down that a ways some where ya can cut the rails fer tha fence. Tools are in tha barn here. Breakfast is at sunup or there abouts."

"Yes, sir." All four men turned to find their beds after a long day.

The men worked fast and in two days, they completed the fence. They left for the cattle drive just after breakfast the next morning. As they rode away, Seth wrapped his arm around Mandy and said, "Those cow critters sure look good out there in the field. Now I have to make another pasture and get some hay cut to feed the ones we are going to keep this winter.

Mandy found herself pregnant again that winter and as her pregnancy progressed, she had more trouble than with her first one. Finally in mid July, she went into labor. Seth rushed to Broken Arrow for the Indian Midwife. They arrived at his home before the baby came, and she did all she knew how to do. The baby, a girl Seth named Amanda, was healthy but Amanda, his darling Mandy, was not.

Mandy bled excessively and became weaker and weaker, finally dying near noon the day after the birth. The Indian woman, Singing Dove, said, "Not good. Girl needs milk to live and grow strong. I go now."

Before Seth, in his grief, could reply, she faded from his sight. Seth sat the entire afternoon with Mandy. Twice he fixed honey water and tried to get little Amanda to drink it. He even smeared some of his meal on her tongue to see if she would eat that. Thankfully Spencer could eat solid food if Seth mashed it up fine enough, but he still acted as if he missed his milk.

Just before dark the old Chief, Soaring Hawk, arrived at the house. With him was a young Indian woman with a small child in her arms. Soaring Hawk was carrying another child that appeared to be three or four years old.

Seth walked out of the house to meet his guests. He said, "Greetings, Soaring Hawk. Please come sit with me. I have coffee and can find food if you have hunger."

"No, Fish Killer, I cannot today. I have brought you a gift. This is Little Rabbit and her son Brave Turtle." He set the boy on the ground and continued, "She carries her daughter Sleeping Robin. I give her to you so your children may have mothers milk to grow strong. Her man died two moons ago when some whites attacked him."

Seth felt immense relief. His daughter might live now, and he would still have part of his Mandy. He was confused by the wording of the Chief. "Thank you, Soaring Hawk. My heart flies with happiness now. My new child may live because of your generosity."

"You have been a good friend to us. Little Rabbit was a good wife to Silent Stalker, and will be so for you. She is a good mother and makes much milk for strong babies. You will do well with her." Without further conversation, the Chief turned his horse and trotted away leaving a shocked Seth standing staring first at the departing Chief and then at the people now standing staring at him.

Just as he finally got his brain in gear, Amanda began wailing and crying again. Little Rabbit grabbed Brave Turtle's hand and pulled him inside with her and Sleeping Robin. She moved quickly to the little cradle and picked up Amanda.

When offered a nipple, Amanda greedily latched onto it and began sucking and cooing as she gulped down the life giving milk from a now smiling Little Rabbit.

Seth walked into the house and watched his daughter nurse, while Brave Turtle looked on. There was still food on the table and Seth noticed Brave Turtle looking at it from time to time. He motioned for the boy to come to him. Finally, after three times, the boy walked slowly up to Seth.

Seth reached for some meat and handed a piece to the boy. The boy slowly took it, looked at Seth then began to happily munch away. When the first piece was gone, Brave Turtle looked at the table again. Seth smiled, nodded his head and motioned to the table as he said, "You can have more, son. Just save some for your mother if she is hungry."

Turtle reached out for the meat and took two pieces. He walked to his mother and handed her one before he began eating his second piece. Little Rabbit looked at the meat and then at Seth. She said, "You have eaten? It is fine I eat this?"

"Yes, I have eaten and yes you may have that or anything else we have you want to eat. You are saving my daughter's life and I owe you much more than some food, of which I have plenty."

Little Rabbit tore into the meat as if she was starving, also. Soon little Mandy stopped sucking and dozed off. Rabbit placed her in the small cradle and came to the table where Seth sat talking to Turtle. She knelt beside him and looked up, saying nothing.

"Why are you kneeling beside me Rabbit? There are chairs. We need to talk, but can we wait until tomorrow? I am tired and I have to bury Amanda first thing, but then we can talk."

"I kneel here because it is my place, waiting for more work not knowing what you would have me do."

"Well, first, I would have you use a chair as do all my guests, then tomorrow we will talk about what I would have you do."

Rabbit looked at him with some surprise, but got up and sat gingerly in a chair and looked at Seth. Seth sighed and said, "Let us find a place for all of us to sleep. Robin is small enough I think she can share the cradle with Amanda. We will let Turtle sleep with Spencer. I will move Amanda and you can use our bed."

"No. Is your bed, you use. I sleep there." She motioned in the same general direction as the bed and went to get her small pack. Seth was so tired he didn't argue. He stripped to his long johns and crawled into the bed.

Seth was almost asleep when he felt the bed move and Rabbit scooted up beside him. He sat up with an oath and said, " Rabbit, what are you doing here. I thought you said I should sleep here."

"Yes. Is your bed. I am your woman now. Chief gave me you. I sleep where you sleep. Now sleep. You said we talk tomorrow."

Seth stared at Rabbit a moment, then just collapsed back into the bed and went rapidly to sleep. He felt her move a time or two during the night as she fed the babies, but otherwise he had a good night's sleep.

Seth was up early the next morning and began the day's chores. While he was digging the grave for Amanda, Turtle came to him and said, "Father, food is ready."

Seth stared a moment, then placed his shovel down and followed Turtle to the house. He stopped at the wash station outside the door and washed his hands. He made Turtle wash, also, then followed him inside to a wonderful breakfast. He smiled at Rabbit and said, That was good, Rabbit. Thank you. I almost have Amanda's grave finished, then I will be back for her."

After Seth buried his Mandy, he stood and looked over his small farm. He saw Rabbit and the children on the porch where she sat after they paid final respects to Mandy. He couldn't tell what Rabbit was doing, but she was working on something. He still did not know what to say to her. Even with Mandy just gone he felt himself responding to her presence last night. It had been too long since he satisfied his manly urges, as Mandy called them.

He had moved west because he felt forced to do, so but he found so much. He admitted. Until Mandy died, he was happier that he had ever been in Tennessee. He had a good farm, a small herd of cattle and even a small herd of pretty good horses. He had friends, even if almost all of them were Indians. They were good people if you treated them right, but what was he going to do about Rabbit?

Almost forty years later, Seth, Spencer, Amanda, Turtle, Robin and five younger men and women and their husbands, wives and offspring—Seth's grandchildren—were standing around another open grave in which lay Little Rabbit. She was being put to rest beside Amanda and three of their children who had not survived. Two died in infancy, and one boy died when he was twelve after being kicked by a mule.

A crying Seth whispered, "I never did decide what to do about you, did I my darling? All I ever did was love you and care for you and our babies. Soaring Hawk was right. You were a good woman and a good mother, but you were also a better wife." He glanced at the other older grave beside her and continued, "I will miss you both so much. I do not know how I can go on. There have been so many changes, and you helped me through so much."

Seth watched the older boys; men now, pick up their shovels and began covering the grave. After three or four shovels of dirt he couldn't stand any more and turned morosely toward their now greatly expanded house, his shoulders shaking with, to him, unmanly tears. As he walked toward the house, he accepted the condolences of the friends and neighbors he passed.