Midnight Basketball

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,797 Followers

There were at least two dozen kids hanging around now and hands shot up everywhere. "Jamal came out here early to help me so he gets one of them," Walker said handing him a net. "And because he did he gets to pick someone to do the other."

There were all kinds of loud calls from other boys when Jamal sheepishly said, "Keneisha." Walker smiled when he saw the pretty young girl come out and take the other net. "Thank you, Jamal," she said coyly.

Walker held the ladder and Jamal went to climb up but Walker stopped him. "I can't believe you just did that," Walker said.

"Why? What'd I do?" Jamal asked.

He looked at Keneisha and said, "Ladies first." There were some jeers and laughter and Jamal immediately got it. He knew Walker was right and he was all too happy to let the cute young lady go first. "Okay, now you can carry the ladder to the other end—yourself—and hang the other net."

Everyone was at center court when Walker said, "I know I said I wasn't gonna let you keep the balls, but I'm giving you a couple of the cheaper ones today. Guess who's gonna be responsible to me for both of them?"

"Jamal!" came a unified reply.

Walker went over to his pickup, grabbed the new basketballs and pretended to shove them into Jamal's chest. "Right. These are for all of you, but he's responsible to bring them home and get them back out here. Anyone else who has a ball can bring it out, too, but you're gonna have to figure out how to share the court when it's just you guys out here. Teamwork and cooperation are important so don't ever let me find out anyone's trying to own the court. It doesn't belong to anyone; it belongs to everyone. Got it?"

There were a lot of loud replies like, "Yeah, cool, we got it." Walker looked around and said, "The lights will be back on within a week. Remember, this is your court so take pride in it and don't let anyone disrespect it or you."

As he walked away he smiled again as he heard applause, whistles, and loud cheers. He also heard Jamal saying, "Ah right. Listen up. This be what we gon' do."

There was a white sedan with government plates next to his rent-a-rig and standing next to it was Councilwoman Reese.

"I'm impressed, Mr. Walker."

"Ms. Reese. It's good to see you again. I had no idea you were coming or I'd have had the neighborhood band out to give you an official welcome."

She laughed and he couldn't help but notice she was even more beautiful when she smiled. "The way you're going, I wouldn't put it passed you to have a band the next time I come out here."

She asked where he was in terms of progress and he gave her an update. "I should have all four done within another three days. Unfortunately, I have a flight this evening or I'd have a second court ready to go today."

"A flight? Business or pleasure?" she asked not knowing what he did for a living since retiring from active duty.

"Business," he told her which was the truth. "I'll be back by noon tomorrow and I should have the second court completely done." He smiled and said, "I could use some help if you want to stop by."

Janna's schedule was jam packed the entire week, but Walker was so...interesting she said, "I just might surprise you."

"Then it would be a very pleasant surprise," he said as he threw his tools in the back.

Janna smiled back then told him, "I'm guessing the Marines are out looking for a few good men since you left their ranks."

Walker shut the tailgate and said, "Oh, they still have plenty of them. We have the occasional bad apple, but generally speaking, you won't find a better group of people anywhere on God's green earth. Honor, courage, commitment. Along with integrity, those are the values of the Marine Corps. She stared at him as he walked to front of the pick up. "Why are you staring at me?" he asked flashing his ever-present smile.

"Honor and integrity. I admire those qualities."

"Then you missed your calling," he said still smiling.

"I beg your pardon?" she asked not sure if she should be offended.

"Well, if you value those qualities, you should have been a Marine Corps officer. I could easily see you flying on my wing, Ms. Reese. But someone serving in government who values honesty and integrity? Seems kind of oxymoronic to me."

She wanted to be angry with him but she couldn't. She'd already seen too much corruption, bribery, and other things that turned her stomach and she'd only be in office for several months. "Maybe you should run for office, Mr. Walker," she said trying to reclaim the upper hand.

"No thanks," he said as he got in and started the engine. "Honor and integrity aren't just words to me. They're a way of life."

Janna narrowed her eyes and glowered at him, but he just kept smiling. In fact, he refused to take his eyes off of hers until she smiled back. When she finally did, he said, "You're a very attractive woman, Ms. Reese. You should smile more often."

"Bastard," she said quietly as got ready to drive off.

"I heard that, Ms. Reese!" he called out as he drove away.

She got in her own car and started the engine she thought, "He's a cute bastard, though." That thought made her smile and then laugh.

Her schedule didn't permit her to get out to the courts the following day, and she'd mostly forgotten about 'her cute bastard' until that Friday evening. She was home early and watching the six o'clock local news when a report got her attention.

"We're here with Mr. Nathan Walker, a retired Marine, who's personally renovated four different local basketball courts in our area. This evening, Seattle City Power is turning on the lights at each of these courts for the first time in many years."

Different cameras panned around at each of the four courts as the reporter explained how this one local resident was making a difference. There were groups of teenage kids, mostly black, playing on the new courts while parents and other adults stood watch on the sidelines. One of them, a young mother said, "This gives our kids something to hope for. It gives them an alternative to joining a gang or doing drugs. I don't know the man who did all this, I just know he did a good thing." She pointed to her 13-year old son whom she said was now spending nearly all of his free time on this particular court.

When the camera came back to the reporter, Janna saw Walker standing next to her. "This is the man right here who made all this happen. What do you want to say to people who tell us one person can't make a difference?"

"They're wrong," was all he said.

She looked at the camera and said, "As you can see, Mr. Walker is a man of few words but not actions." She looked at him and said, "How can people who want to help out get in touch with you, Mr. Walker?"

He looked into the camera and said, "They can get in touch with me through someone who's been very supportive throughout this whole process." He smiled then said, "Councilwoman Reese has been my greatest ally in making this happen. I'm sure if you let her know you'd like to help, she'll be happy to point you in the right direction."

Janna was sitting up straight and glaring at her television. "You bastard!" she said again out loud to no one. "No, he did not just wink at me," she said when he did just that. "Oh, I am so gonna kill that man the next time I see him!"

On Monday morning, Kelli told Janna good morning then said, "Your inbox is stuffed with emails from folks who want to help out that handsome young Marine of yours. So is your voicemail."

"My Marine? Are you kidding? And young? Ha! He's almost your age, Kelli!" Janna realized what she'd just said then quickly apologized. "Okay, I did not mean that the way it sounded."

"I know," she said smiling at her. "I'm 54 so to me he is young. But I don't care how old he is or you are, that man is fine!"

Janna made a noise indicating her dismissal of Kelli's comment, but the older woman knew better. "Oh, before you go into your office, you have a visitor."

"No. Don't tell me. If he's here...."

Janna turned around and the mayor of Seattle was standing next to her. "Mr. Mayor. Good morning. What a pleasant surprise," she said as she cut her eyes at Kelli for not warning her sooner. "To what do I owe this visit?"

He put a hand on her shoulder and said, "I'm up for re-election in November, Janna, and I could use a little Republican support. My phone's ringing off the hook over this Mr. Walker guy and you seem to know him quite well." Janna tried to explain she didn't know him at all, but the mayor didn't give her a chance to speak.

"I'm holding a fundraiser on Wednesday. If you can get Mr. Walker to attend, I'll make sure the local press is there and I'll also make sure his project gets funding, and I'll even cut you in on the proceeds for your re-election bid."

"Mr. Mayor, I just got elected and...."

"So give him a call and see if you can make this happen. Wednesday, my residence, 7pm. He can be your plus one."

"I...I hadn't intended on going, Mr. Mayor. I already made...."

"It's informal but wear a nice dress, okay? We'll see you both then," he said as he reached for her hand and shook it on his way out.

Kelli saw him leave and stepped into her young boss's office. "Let me guess. He's got you going to some event with Mr. Walker sometime soon. Am I right?"

Janna sat down and shook her head in disbelief. "Yes. This Wednesday. He's my...plus one...and I don't even know his phone number."

"It's on the flyer he gave you, Janna. I'll go get it for you. Unless you'd like me to ask him out for you."

Janna glared at Kelli before realizing she was doing a lot of that lately. "Ask him out? This is not a date, Kelli. It's...business so ahead and give him a call." She thought about for a second then said, "No, I can't ask you to do my dirty work for me. Just give me his number and I'll call him myself."

She came back with the flyer and said, "This time, when you get back on the horse, hold on tight." Kelli smiled in that way that made Janna crazy, but she couldn't help smiling back. She sat there and stared at the number for several minutes as though she had nothing else to do.

"Ah, shit," she said as she dialed the number.

He saw 'City of Seattle' as he swiped 'accept call'. "Hello councilwoman," he said much too cheerfully.

"What? Are you clairvoyant, too?" she said, the disbelief showing in her voice.

"No, just observant," he quipped. "How may I help you?"

She took a deep breath making sure he couldn't hear her long, loud exhale before explaining why she was calling.

"So...you're asking me out?" he said thoroughly enjoying this.

"Um...no, I'm...asking you to...help me out," she said thinking she'd won the word-play battle.

"I don't understand. Are you telling me you don't want to go out with me? Have I done something to offend you or am I really that unattractive to you?" he said with mock seriousness.

"Please don't make me beg, Mr. Walker. Please?"

"Hmmm. That sounded pretty close to begging, Ms. Reese." He smiled knowing she'd be able to tell.

"Oh, you're just loving this, aren't you?" she said.

"I kinda am," he told her truthfully.

The was silence before she said, "Okay, you win. Will you please go to this fundraiser with me? I really am begging now so I hope you're satisfied."

"Almost," he told her. "Just one other thing."

"You're not afraid to push your luck, are you Mr. Walker?"

"Luck? Me? Nah. We make our own luck, Ms. Reese. And it's you who just got lucky. After all, I'm not the one who's begging."

She made another sound indicating anger even though she wasn't. "Okay, you got me. What else? What do I have to do in return for you suffering through one of these mind-numbingly boring events?"

"You have to go out with me. On a real date."

"What? I beg your pardon? I don't even know you!"

"That's the purpose of a first date, Ms. Reese. Well, in our case, it'll actually be a second date because we're going out—together—on Wednesday."

"Bastard," she said again quietly.

"Ahh! There you go again with the endearments and we haven't even had our first date yet. I see a real future for us, Ms. Reese."

There was another pause before he heard, "Goodbye, Mr. Walker." He was going to hang up then heard her say in a much softer tone, "And thank you."

"Your welcome. And my name is Nathan."

"Thank you...Nathan. I'm Janna," she said almost sweetly before hanging up.

Nathan made it a point to spend several hours a day at various times at one or two of 'his' courts every day he possibly could. He occasionally played with the guys, but his primary focus was on setting a good example and teaching whatever lesson he could whenever an opportunity presented itself.

"Hey, come on! Don't throw that on the court. Put in the trash can, okay?" What he loved the most was when other kids started telling their friends the things he was trying to instill in them. The kid who threw the empty water bottle down picked it up and put in the trash can.

To a lesser degree he enjoyed the fact that everyone now knew him. "Yo, Mr. Walker!" was a favorite greeting. He made it a point to learn as many names as he could and find out who was related, who was friends with whom, who the potential leaders were, and just as importantly who the potential or known bad guys were. He knew they were always lurking aware Walker was competing with them for their 'souls.'

On Wednesday, he was playing some pickup with a couple of kids and around 4:00, told them he had to leave. "Got a hot date tonight, guys."

"Ah 'ight, Mr. Walker!" one of them said. "She gonna get some tonight, right?"

Walker never got angry with the kids. In this case he said, "She's a really nice lady, so it's not like that. It's just dinner. It's not always about...gettin' some...okay? Treat women with respect and they'll respect you back."

Some quick dapping told him they got it. Lesson learned.

He hadn't worn his uniform since he retired, but he'd received an email from the mayor's office asking him if he'd mind doing so. He kept his hair short, but not Marine Corps short and had no intention of ever doing so again. So while it was way too long for the Corps, he could easily pass for any other branch of the service. Not that he wanted to; he just realized it wasn't that important and no one but a Marine would notice anyway. Even so, he stopped and got it trimmed just to soothe his conscience. "Honor and integrity," he said as he got out of the chair looking at what was very close to a regulation Marine Corps haircut.

The dinner wasn't a formal occasion so he chose not to wear his evening dress uniform. Instead, he pulled out his dress blues which were still neatly pressed and put them on for the first time in nearly two years. The last time had been for the Marine Corps Ball the November before last.

He not only still fit in it, it still looked perfect. There were four rows of three ribbons each with a 13th in the top center of the stack. Above them were a set of gold naval aviator's wings with one anchor signifying a pilot. Those with two were back seaters or NFOs which stood for Naval Flight Officer. In the F-18D, they were called WSO's or wizzos for Weapons Systems Officers.

He looked at the gold oak leaves on his collar and knew nearly all of his friends who'd stayed on active duty were now wearing silver having made lieutenant colonel. One more year and he'd have been promoted, too, but Walker had made his decision and still believed it was the right one for him.

He strapped on his patent leather Sam Browne belt and was satisfied with the look. Then again, who wouldn't be? Walker had never worn it in the US that he wasn't hit on multiple times—even when he had a date with him. It really was a chick magnet. "Any guy gets hit on wearing this uniform," he knew from experience.

He picked up his white barracks cover with the gold 'scrambled eggs' on the black visor and laughed as he wondered how many people would refer to it as a 'hat' before the night was through. Marines wore covers, not hats, and Marine officers had what was called a quatrefoil embroidered into their dress blue and green uniform barracks covers popularly know as 'saucer caps' by their Army counterparts.

He wasn't at all concerned when he saw news vans from two of the three local stations, KOMO and KIRO television, as he pulled up as this was the mayor's residence. He started to get concerned when a valet met him, welcomed him by name, and camera crews began approaching. As he walked toward the residence, he got very concerned when he saw the mayor and Janna walking down the front steps and heading his way. Within seconds, he was surrounded by cameras, reporters, and politicians.

"Major Walker, is it true you and Councilwoman Reese are dating? Is there any truth to those rumors? Major Walker, we've heard you spent several thousand dollars of your own money on refurbishing these courts. Care to comment?"

The mayor stepped in and came to his rescue saying, "Okay, okay. Everyone, please! Major Walker is here tonight as an invited guest and a distinguished member of our community. Please give him some space so we can get inside where it's cooler."

Unable to get to him, Walker heard another reporter ask Janna, "Councilwoman? Is it true you and the major are dating?"

"You'll have to ask Major Walker," she said with a smile as they strode up the steps and into the house.

As they walked in Nathan turned to her and said, "Really? They have to ask me?"

There was that smile again and as she looked at him for the first time in that uniform she felt...well, she felt...something. Something she hadn't felt since she'd been thrown off the horse.

"You look...very handsome," she said unaware she was still staring.

The mayor stepped in and saved him yet again. "If Councilwoman Reese gets too flirty, just let me know, okay, Major?" he said winking at him.

"Flirty? I beg your pardon?" Janna said indignantly as she turned to stare down the mayor.

He bent over toward Nathan and said, "Uh-oh. Looks like I struck a nerve." He slapped him on the arm and said, "Enjoy yourself but the price of admission is a couple of photos with yours truly before you leave, okay?"

"Will do," Nathan said aware that Janna was still staring at him.

"I was not flirting," she repeated hoping maybe Nathan would buy what she was selling.

"Uh-huh. Of course you weren't," he said as he offered her his arm.

She glared again before finally slipping her arm in his. "Bastard," she said quietly unable to keep from smiling.

"Yeah, yeah. You know you want me," he said without looking at her. Both of them had bright smiles on their faces as they walked into the party. Janna elbowed him sharply in the ribs but never stopped smiling. "Bitch," he said quietly back. He didn't look but he did hear her laugh.

"Can I get you something to drink?" he asked.

"Yes, please. White wine."

"You look great, by the way," he told her and she did. Janna was wearing a beautiful white dress that was modest yet showed off enough of her very shapely legs to catch Nathan's eye. She'd had her hair styled and was wearing it swept up adding to the her elegant, sophisticated look. He wasn't aware she'd also had a makeover. He only knew she looked incredible.

"Oh, thank you," she said as though she wasn't dying to hear him say something that let her know he'd noticed. As a public servant she wasn't exactly well off and shouldn't have spent the nearly $500 she'd laid out for the dress, shoes, and new bag. But the way he'd just looked at her and the way he'd just smiled made her glad she had.

He returned with two glasses and handed one to her. "What shall we drink to?" she asked.

"How about to 'midnight basketball'?" he suggested.

Janna smiled brightly and said, "I'll drink to that!"

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,797 Followers