Midnight Basketball

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,796 Followers

Several people came over wanting to be introduced, not to the councilwoman, but to the dashing Marine in the dress-blue uniform. Janna dutifully played her part and cordially introduced Nathan to each one of them. She tried not to laugh when the mayor's wife, who'd already had one too many, essentially made a pass at him letting him know she um...really admired Marines...as she ran her hand up and down the sleeve of his uniform.

"That was...uncomfortable," Nathan said when she left.

"I don't think they've slept together for years," Janna whispered. "Oops. Did I just say that?"

Nathan laughed and said, "You know, you really do look great, Janna."

She thanked him again before he said, "Look, I know I kind of coerced you into a follow-on date with me, but I didn't even bother to ask if you're seeing someone. If you are then...."

"I'm not," she said much too quickly and regretted being so transparent. "Seeing anyone, that is."

"Oh, okay. I just needed to be sure."

"Honor and integrity, right?" she said smiling at him.

Before he could answer, they heard the mayor calling for everyone's attention. "Ladies and gentleman? Thank you all for coming tonight." After some perfunctory remarks he said, "I'd like to welcome our distinguished guest, the founder of the midnight basketball program, retired-Marine Major Nathan Walker."

There was a long, loud burst of applause which made Nathan very uncomfortable. He nodded his head and waved weakly at the smiling faces staring at him.

"I'm hoping Major Walker is a fellow Democrat, but considering who he's here with tonight, I'm afraid to ask." There was some polite laughter before he continued his remarks and letting people know when dinner would be served.

"Well, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Janna asked.

"If that's all there is to it, then no, it wasn't so bad." He looked at her in a way that needed no words before adding, "In fact, it seems more than worth it."

Janna hadn't blushed since high school and she managed not to but she had felt the blood begin to flow to her cheeks before it somehow mercifully stopped.

She looked back at Nathan and said, "This may be the first and only fundraiser I've ever enjoyed attending."

He offered her his arm again and escorted her to their seats where their name cards written in beautiful calligraphy on them had been placed.

"So tell me, what is it you do, Nathan? You said you were leaving town on business, what kind of business might that be?"

"I fly for Pacific Northwest Charter Airlines," he told her.

"The private company?" she asked. She knew it was an upscale airline that flew Gulfstream jets out of Boeing Airfield.

"That's the one," he said with a smile.

She leaned over and said, "Just remember I agreed to go out with you when I thought you were a lowly, poor, ex-Marine."

Walker smiled and said, "Point taken. Now please let me make one."

"Please do," she said taking a sip of her wine.

"There aren't a lot of things we Marines get touchy about. Calling us soldiers is one of them. Referring to our covers...." he pointed to his on the chair next to him, "as 'hats' is another, and calling us 'ex' Marines is yet one more. You see, while there may be ex-wives, there are no ex-Marines, only Marines or former Marines, depending on whom you ask."

"Oh, I see," she said. "I stand corrected."

"You're actually sitting, but I'll let you slide."

She smiled at him then whispered, "Bastard!"

He smiled back and said, "Bitch!"

Janna nearly spewed her wine when he did. "I better stop. I'm getting silly," she said setting her glass down. "I have a reputation to maintain, you know."

He leaned over and said, "Then what are you doing here with me?"

She laughed even harder and pushed him playfully. "Stop!" she told him. "I'm serious!"

"I'll stop if you'll kiss me," he said quietly out of nowhere.

Her eyes opened wide as she looked at him like he was from outer space. "Are you kidding me? We're out in public at the mayor's home, no less. Get serious!"

He kept smiling and said, "I am. Serious, that is."

Her eyes were fixed on his and he could tell she wanted to. "Chicken," he said. "Bowk, bowk, boowk," he said very quietly while still smiling.

He saw her look quickly to her left then her right then lean over and kiss him as quickly as she could. The unmistakeable sound of cameras with power winders taking multiple shots hit Janna like a bolt of lightning as she quickly jerked back. "Oh, my God!" she said immediately aware of what just happened.

Before she could speak, Nathan said, "Let's give 'em somethin' to talk about," and pulled her close and really kissed her. Her eyes bugged out as cameras clicked and wound. There were hushed whispers then quiet laughter followed by a burst of applause that filled the room.

When he finally let her go, she looked like she was in shock. Nathan was smiling and waving politely to the crowd. "They're all looking at us, honey," he said.

Janna turned and to her horror saw everyone in the room staring at them. At...her.

"I'm SO gonna kill you," she whispered as she smiled and waved slightly. "You're a dead man walking," she said as the noise quieted down.

"Um, sorry but...I'm sitting," he corrected her. "In case you hadn't noticed."

He saw her mouth the word 'bastard' again and said, "If you don't tame that potty mouth of yours I'm going to kiss you again right here, right now. And this time it'll be a kiss people will talk about for...."

"Okay. Okay. I'll be nice," she said. He looked at her and smiled before she smiled back then said, "Bastard!"

"I think I like you, councilwoman," he told her as the first course was set in front of them.

"Well, you better enjoy this dinner, major, because it's going to be your last meal." She thanked the person who placed her salad then said, "You know our picture's going to be in the paper tomorrow, right?"

"You sound upset," he said pretending not to understand.

"Ugh! You're impossible," she said shaking her head before taking a first bite.

"Me? Nah, I'm easy," he said matter of factly.

He saw her look at him...like that...so he held up a hand and told her, "Don't say it." She turned away they turned back and got another hand. "Don't even think about it."

"Oh, I'm thinking about it, all right," she told him. "And it's true, you know."

"You know you don't mean that," he said patronizingly.

"You are so dead," she told him again.

"I can do this all night," he told her.

"Do what?" she asked not sure she wanted to know the answer.

"No, not that," he said which got her to turn her head back toward him. "Well actually yes, that. I'm actually quite good at...that." He saw her pick up a butter knife and dangle it. "You're not related to Lorena Bobbitt, are you?" he asked not sure if she'd even heard of the woman who lopped her husband's penis with a knife.

"Keep talking and you'll find out," she told him.

"What I meant was I can play this little game all night long. Marines spend countless hours deployed to faraway places where they have to fill their time with something."

"So you make asses out of yourselves all day long?" she quipped.

"Touché! The lady knows how to play, too. Very nice." He saw her smile begrudgingly then told her, "No, it's now definite. I really do like you, councilwoman."

They gave up on the silliness for the rest of the evening and talked about the kinds of things people discuss on first dates. Where they grew up, what their families are like, going to school, first loves, favorite movies, and the like. Janna even shared the grisly details of what she fondly called 'the betrayal.'

All in all, Walker liked had to admit he really did like her. In fact, he liked her...a lot...and his gut told him she felt the same way.

After dinner and the obligatory photo op with the mayor, Nathan was free to leave and asked Janna if she'd like to go outside for a while. They talked on the front porch for another hour when Nathan noticed it was almost midnight. "Unfortunately, I have to leave. Crew rest is mandatory and I need to be in bed by 2am. If I don't leave now...."

"I understand," she told him. "I had a really nice time, Nathan."

"Yeah, me too," he told her sincerely. "Listen, I really do want to see you again, Janna."

"I'd like that...a lot," she told him.

"Can I call you?" he asked.

He didn't have his phone with him as there was nowhere to put it except in his socks as pockets on Marine uniforms were strictly decorative, not functional. She gave her number to him then asked, "You won't forget it, will you?"

He pointed to his head and said, "Got a mind like a steel trap, Martha."

His silliness was just one more thing she liked about him. "Just checking. At your advanced age, anything is possible."

He raised his hands and placed them behind her upper arms and said, "That's true. For example, I could lean down and kiss you again right now."

"I don't believe that's possible," she said as her eyes met his.

"A doubter, eh? Are you from Missouri or something?" he asked very seriously.

"No. Seattle girl. Born and raised."

"Then I'll just have to make a believer out of you," he said as he bent down and kissed her.

There was no surprise this time and no further silliness. It was a soft, romantic, very pleasant first kiss.

When it ended she said, "Wow. You were right. I...do believe."

"Good night, Councilwoman Reese," he said after standing up straight and smiling at her again.

"Goodnight, Major Walker," she replied as her hand slipped out of his.

"I'll call you," he said as he walked away.

As she watched him she realized her heart was pounding so hard it felt like she could hear it. "What just happened?" she said out loud. Answering her own question she said, "I believe I just got back on the horse."

The following evening her phone rang and her heart skipped a beat when she saw the name. "Good evening, major," she said trying not to sound too anxious. "Where might you be this fine summer evening?"

"I'm in Alaska," he told her. "Anchorage, specifically. One of our customers owns a brokerage firm in the city, and he flies up about once a quarter to check on things. How's life in Seattle?"

"Busy," she told him. "I don't suppose you saw the morning paper."

"No, afraid not," he said smiling knowing where this was going. "Tell me about it."

She explained how they were on the front of the Seattle Times social page as the hottest new couple in Seattle. "You'll be pleased to know 99% of the article was about you and your project."

"As it should be," he told her trying not to laugh. There was a pause and he said, "You're dying to call me a bastard again, aren't you?"

"Am I really that transparent?" she said unable to keep from smiling.

"Transparent? I don't think you're transparent. I'd say you're more...translucent."

"Bastard," she whispered then laughed. "So when are you flying back?"

"Tomorrow morning and then I'm off for a couple of days. I was thinking maybe we could have dinner together."

Janna paused for a moment then said, "I was trying to think of something witty to say, but this time I'll just say 'yes.' How's that for transparency."

"Translucency," he corrected her. "No, seriously, it sounds really nice. Is tomorrow night okay?"

"Um, let me just check my schedule and see if I can possibly squeeze you in somewhere," she teased pretending to look. Before he could reply she said, "Oh, great! It looks like I have an opening. I'll pencil you in for 8 o'clock. Will that work for you?"

"Hmmm. No, sorry. It needs to be a little earlier. I already have reservations for 7pm and I'm afraid they can't be changed. Will that work for you?"

"Bast...." She tried not to laugh then said, "Seven is perfect. Do you know where I live?"

"If I said 'yes' would you think I was stalking you?" he joked.

"Are you?" she asked sweetly.

"Maybe just a little," he told her.

She gave him her address then asked how formal to dress.

"Burger King is pretty relaxed so...."

"Bastard!" she said laughing harder than ever.

"I'll be wearing a jacket a tie. Does that help?"

"It does," she said. "I'm actually picturing you like that right now, as a matter of fact."

"I'm flattered. I think."

There was silence for a few moments before Janna spoke. "You should be. That's how I meant it."

He told her goodbye and that he looked forward to seeing her. She hung up the phone and realized that for the first time...no, the second time...since 'the betrayal' she felt happy. The first time was at the fundraiser on Wednesday.

"Good morning, Kelli!" Janna said cheerfully the following morning.

"Well, well, well. Someone's in a very good mood this morning! Would this have anything to do with a handsome, young ex-Marine named Nathan Walker?"

Janna thought about telling telling Kelli there were no 'ex-Marines' but instead said, "Is it that obvious?"

Kelli laughed and said, "You can be very transparent sometimes."

Janna smiled and as she went into her office told Kelli, "I prefer to think of myself as translucent."

Kelli had never seen her like this before. She was happy, pleasant, and had a smile glued to her face all morning. When Janna told her she was leaving for lunch Kelli asked, "So when's the big date?"

Janna set her purse down and said, "Tonight!"

"Ooooh! Tell me all about it!" Kelli said wanting to know details.

"All I know is he's wearing a coat and tie and picking me up at seven this evening to take me to dinner."

Kelli seemed disappointed at the paucity of information but still wished her a good time. She could see Janna wanted to say something and encourage to do so.

"Am I making another mistake?" she asked.

"How so?" Kelli wanted to know.

"Well, I know he's young to you, but he's gotta be close to 40 years old. How does that even make sense?"

"As I recall, your last boyfriend—sorry for mentioning him—was your age." She didn't say anything for a second then added, "How did that work out?"

"Yeah, no kidding," Janna said in agreement. "But he's a lot older, Kelli."

"Okay, that's an undeniable fact. But aren't other qualities just as important? And just between you and me, that man is gorgeous!"

Janna couldn't argue on the looks. And she'd promised herself she'd never even go on a date with a man who didn't stand for certain values; values she'd named before meeting Nathan Walker. Values he mentioned on their first um...non-date/get together. Honor and integrity.

"Besides, it's just dinner, Janna. It's not like he's whisking you off to Rome or Paris for the weekend. If the age difference turns out to be too much, what have you lost? But if it isn't an issue and you really like him and if he really likes you...."

"Kelli, Kelli, Kelli. You always offer such good advice."

"Don't take offense, councilwoman, but you're like a daughter to me."

Janna knew Kelli had always wanted a daughter. She had two sons whom she loved very much, but she'd wanted a girl for as long as she could remember. Janna didn't bring that sore subject up, she just thanked Kelli for her friendship before going to lunch.

Her afternoon was one dry, boring meeting after another. The hours seemed like days until it was finally 5 o'clock and Janna was able to leave. She'd just have time to get ready by seven but she'd need to hurry.

"Good luck and have fun!" Kelli wished her on the way out.

Janna had been saving a beautiful high-waisted dress for just the right occasion and tonight was perfect. It was a dark blue from the waist down and mostly white on top with the blue color accenting the V-shaped neckline. It was elegant, dressy, and yet not pretentious. Her only regret was that it fell to just above her knee rather than a few inches higher. Then again, she was a member of the city council so....

She quickly showered, re-did her makeup, then got dressed before using a curling iron to set her hair with a soft, gentle wave. She put on a triple strand of gray pearls and matching earrings which, along with a pair of navy-colored heels and a simple silver watch, proved to be the perfect complement to complete her look. She took a quick glance at herself in the full-length mirror, and hoped Nathan would like it as much as she did.

"Nathan!" she thought as she heard the doorbell ring her back to reality. She glanced at her watch at it was exactly 7pm. She valued punctuality very highly, but this one time she wished for an extra five minutes as she hurried to the door.

She stopped, took a deep breath to compose herself, then smiled and opened the door.

When she saw him, she forgot about everything she'd been thinking. He looked so amazing her mind went blank. He'd been dashingly handsome in his uniform, but tonight he looked like something off the cover of GQ magazine.

"Hi," he said. "Are you gonna ask me in or should I knock again?"

"Oh. Oh, my goodness. I'm so sorry. Yes, please come in," she said once she realized she'd been standing there just gawking at him. She closed the door and told herself it was just dinner.

"Wow, you look sensational," he told her as she recalled how big a deal this dress had been to her just moments ago.

"Oh, thank you," she replied. "You look pretty sensational yourself."

Nathan laughed and said, "I've been told I clean up pretty nicely for a dumb Jarhead."

"Then you were told the truth. Would you like a drink?" she asked.

"I would but we kind of need to run," he told her. "Can't be late, remember?"

"Oh, right! You have reservations. Um...okay, I guess we should get going then." Janna grabbed her purse and told him she was ready.

When he opened the door of his Corvette for her she thanked him then said, "Now why am I not surprised you drive a car like this?"

He closed her door, went around and got in and started it up. "What can I say? I don't get to pull seven Gs anymore and this is about as close as I can get these days."

"Yeah, I don't imagine your passengers would appreciate the kind of turns you made in your...what plane did you fly?" she asked unable to remember.

"The F-18C and D."

"What's the difference?" she asked.

"The D-model is a two seater meaning there's another guy in the seat behind me."

"Is he a pilot, too?" she asked having no idea.

"No, he's not. But he could be a 'she' these days, too," he told her as they pulled out onto the main road and headed for Interstate 5, before explaining what a wizzo did.

"So where is this mysterious place with the reservations you're taking me to?" she asked as she was glued to the seat when he accelerated from 35 to 75 in what felt like maybe a second.

"It's not far from here," he told her as he changed lanes.

"I'm glad to see you use your turn signals," she told him. "That's one of my pet peeves."

"Mine, too," he said with a smile.

In less than three minutes, he was exiting toward the King County International Airport which was known locally as Boeing Field.

"I didn't know they had a restaurant at the airport," she said as a way of letting him know this didn't make any sense.

"They don't," he said. "Not unless you count the cafeteria in the terminal as a restaurant."

He pulled up to a gate and the guard waved him on through. "Evening, Nathan!" the armed guard said as he went by.

"Hey, Jeff! Working swing shift today?"

"Yes, indeed. Two more then back to days." He looked in and saw Janna then said, "You're not kidding. She really is beautiful." He tipped his hat and said, "Evening, ma'am."

Nathan drove on through then pulled out onto the tarmac and Janna said, "Okay, I'm getting a little freaked out here. I don't see a restaurant and if you go any further, we're going to be out on the runway. What's going on?"

He pulled the 'Vette up next to a Bentley and shut off the engine. He jumped out, ran around and opened her door. "Come on, we need to hurry."

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,796 Followers