Mr. Basketball Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I addressed them in the locker room. "You girls played exceptionally well tonight. Do not let this go to your heads. This is just one win. There are a lot more games to be played this year and they will not be this easy. Let's savor this win but continue to practice hard and get better."

I left the locker room and let them get cleaned up. Thom was waiting for me just outside the door.

"Dam," he called. "I guess you were right about going all the way this year."

"It's just one game Thom."

"Yeah, but that was something else."

"They won't all be this easy."

"I didn't see Teagan."

"She has class tonight. I don't think she is going to make a Thursday night game this year."

"Oh," he said a little shocked. Something about the way he said it felt strange. I brushed it off.

"Hey, thanks for starting Taylor," he offered. "You didn't have to do that."

"She is good enough to play the spot so I started her. 15 points isn't bad."

"No, it's great."

"Hi daddy," Taylor said as she came from the locker room.

"You ready?" he asked.

"See you tomorrow coach."

"Yup."

I left the gym and went home. The house was empty when I got there. Not unusual since Teagan had started taking college classes. I relaxed on the couch for an hour as I watched Duke play on TV. Teagan finally came through the door.

"Hey honey," she said. She looked tired. "How was the game?"

"It went well," I said. "The girls destroyed them by 50 points."

"What?" she asked stunned.

"Yeah, 74 to 24. Your sister started and played really good. Scored like 15 points or something."

"That's just good coaching," she offered.

"It must be good players," I countered. "It must run in the family."

"Maybe," she sighed.

"How was your day?"

"Long and exhausting. I'm ready for bed."

"Did you eat?"

"Yeah, I grabbed something. I'm going to take a shower and hit the hay."

"I will be in after a while."

I kissed Teagan good bye in the morning and left for the office. I was only doing a half day today. I got out shortly after 1 and started driving home. My phone started ringing.

"Hey Thom," I answered. "What can I do for you?"

"You busy right now?" he asked.

"Driving home right now why?"

He let out a long sigh and then paused.

"What is it?"

"I got a phone call during the game," he started.

"Ok?"

"Teagan wasn't at school, she was out."

"I guess I'm not getting what you are saying."

"She was out with her ex-boyfriend."

"What, like on a date?"

"I didn't get any details other than that. Don't go and explode on her please. I'm just calling you to give you a heads up."

"I'm not that guy anymore," I said firmly. "I will bring it up if I get a chance."

"I figured someone was going to tell you so I thought it should be me. I don't want them to add to the story."

"I know."

"I will keep tabs on her if you want."

"No, I will figure it out. If you get anything more just let me know. I don't want her to think I'm following her everywhere."

"I hear you."

"Thanks Thom."

"Fuck," I sighed. This couldn't be happening to me again could it?

I pulled into the driveway and parked the car. I went in the door and the phone started ringing again.

"Hey Megan," I said.

"Hi," she replied.

"Are you ready?" I asked.

"Yeah, I got everything."

"When do you want to meet?"

"Today if we could."

"What time?"

"Maybe at 4?"

"I can't, I have to run practice. I don't want to leave Teagan to do it alone. Can it be earlier?"

"I don't know Jake," she huffed. "I'm at work right now on my lunch break."

"Why can't we do it now?"

"I'm going back in 15 minutes."

"So you waited until now to call me?"

"I just remembered."

I sensed movement and turned my head. Teagan came around the corner which surprised me. She still looked tired as she had on just a shirt and some sweat pants. She looked at me very strange now as I paused my conversation with Megan.

"Hey, I'm going to have to call you back."

"What?" I could hear Megan shout as I hung the phone up.

"What are you doing home?" I asked. "I thought you had class today."

"I'm not feeling well," she said annoyed. "Who was that?"

"Nobody important. What's wrong?"

"Sounded important," she pressed.

"Nothing too pressing. It can wait. You catching a cold or something?"

"No," she hissed. "Jake, who was that?"

I knew something was up. Teagan normally didn't press the issue.

"It was Megan," I said.

"Why are you talking to Megan and making plans to meet her?"

I sighed and turned to take a seat at the kitchen table. "Come and sit," I said.

"I want answers, Jake," she hissed. "I know about Jenny and Sam too."

"Oh," I said. "I see where this is going."

"You said you weren't going to be that guy anymore, Jake."

"Teagan, sit down," I ordered. She reluctantly sat down.

"My life is an open book for you. I'm not hiding anything from you."

"Then why are you talking to all these girls? I know who Megan and Sam are. Who is this Jenny chick?"

I held my finger up. I picked my phone up and started dialing Jenny. I put the phone on speaker as it rang and rang and rang.

"Hey, this is Jennifer Rhodes, leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can." Beep.

"Hey Jenny its Jake, I know you're busy but I need you to call me back as soon as you get this. It's urgent."

"That doesn't answer my question," Teagan scorned.

"She will call back in a few minutes. Now back to Megan."

"Ok," she huffed. Her arms folded and legs crossed.

"Megan is my ex, that you know. We shared a bank account and when we broke up we never closed it. The bank sent us both a letter the other day saying that because the account was inactive for so long they were going to start charging us ten dollars a month to keep it open. I called her so we could go down there and close it."

"Ok," she sighed a little relief in her voice.

"We went down there on Tuesday to close the account and split the money but she didn't bring the right documents so they wouldn't close the account. She wanted to go down there at four but I can't because of practice. That's what that conversation was about."

"So you and Megan are not seeing each other?"

"Just to get the bank thing settled. I haven't spoken to her since we broke up."

"Ok, so that leaves Sam and this Jenny chick."

"Sam is my cousin. We grew up in a small town and spent most of our time together. It's hard for me to just shut her out of my life."

"After everything that has happened I just don't trust her."

"Teagan, you have nothing to worry about. She is back in Texas where we grew up. I'm here with you. There's a lot of ground between us and I'm not about to ruin what I have with you. You can get that idea out of your head right now."

Just then my phone started ringing. "Answer it."

"Hello," Teagan said weakly.

"Jake?" Jenny asked.

"He's here," she said.

"Oh, this must be Teagan," Jenny said quickly.

"Yeah," she said confused now.

"I'm glad I finally get the chance to talk to you Teagan. Jake talks about you all the time."

"Teagan has some questions for you Jenny," I called. Teagan took the phone away from her face and put it on speaker.

"Like what?"

"Ask away Teagan," I said.

"Who are you and how do you know Jake?"

"My name is Jenny and I met Jake on spring break in Panama City."

"Geez Jenny," I croaked. "You're not helping any."

"She asked so I'm telling her what she wants to know."

"Why does he keep calling you?" Teagan asked.

"Jake?" Jenny questioned.

"Tell her everything that she wants to know," I ordered.

"I'm a therapist, Jake is getting counseling from me every other week to help with his issues."

"Oh," Teagan said totally embarrassed now.

"Oh," Jenny cried. "You think this is something else. No, not at all. Jake and I met on spring break but it wasn't anything like that. Although he tried, it never happened. I'm not like that. We spent the whole time hanging out and talking. We never even kissed."

"You guys never did anything?" Teagan asked still stunned.

"No, in fact we hung out the next year too. Jake was different with me. I think I scared him with my quick wit. We just talked. Sometimes we talked all night."

Teagan looked at me now.

"I know," I said. "Call me lame but that's how I spent my first two spring breaks of my college life. I spent it talking with Jenny."

"So why does he call you still? I mean can't you get a therapist in town?"

"Jenny and I go way back. She helped me get through my knee injury. She's always been a great friend. I'm talking to her now to get over the asshole I was before I met you. That's why I call her every so often."

"Oh my gosh," Teagan whimpered. "I'm so sorry Jake."

"Teagan, it's normal to have your doubts about a relationship. Especially if you have been hurt in the past. Jake's past isn't the best but I can tell you this, when he puts his mind to something he achieves his goal. He is a changed man now that he is with you. You make him the man that I knew he could be."

"Jake, I'm sorry," Teagan cried. "I don't know what came over me."

"It's fine baby. You have to trust me."

"Teagan, Jake is a good man. He loves you. There is no denying that. I get bored listening to him go on and on about you."

"Thanks Jenny," I teased.

"I feel like a complete idiot," Teagan sighed.

"Does that satisfy your curiosity?" Jenny asked.

"Yeah, I'm an idiot," Teagan said again.

"Don't beat yourself up Teagan. It's normal to doubt. You guys have a good thing going but things like this are going to come up. Don't hide anything from each other and your love will only grow stronger."

"I'm sorry I bothered you," Teagan sighed.

"I have to run you two. I have a patient in my room waiting on me."

"Thanks Jenny," I said as I picked the phone up.

"Call me if you have any more questions Teagan."

"Anything else?" I asked.

"No, I feel like a complete fool. I'm sorry."

"I'm with you Teagan, just you. There isn't some other girl out there for me. I love you with all my heart. I have never felt this way about anyone before you and I don't want to feel it with anyone else."

"I'm sorry I doubted you Jake, really I am. What can I do to make this up to you?"

"Just ask me if you have questions," I said. "You don't have to stalk me."

"I wasn't stalking you. I saw you the other day with Megan when I was sitting at the deli having lunch. You guys walked right by me. I thought you were having lunch together or something when you guys went into the plaza. I checked you're phone later on and saw the other girls on there too."

"We went to the bank," I said. "We sat there forever until they got to us. Then Megan didn't have the right stuff so we couldn't get the money out anyway. Now I have to go back again."

"I over reacted, I'm sorry."

"Is that why you were out with Luke?" I asked.

"What? How do you know about that?"

"Teagan, somebody saw you with him and called your dad. He called me. What are you hiding?"

"Ok, I ran into Luke and we sat down to talk. I was freaking out about everything and needed someone to talk to."

"So you decided on Luke?"

"He was there ok. I didn't plan on it. I was on my way to the game."

"Were you planning to tell me this or just attack me about what I'm doing and then not talk to me about it?"

"I was going to tell you Jake," she sighed. "I just wanted answers first."

"So what happened?"

She sighed. She looked at the table as she started to speak. I knew that this was bad.

"I told him about what was going on. All the girls on your phone, the thing with Megan. He told me that there was no way you weren't seeing someone behind my back. He told me he still loved me and was sorry for what he did to me. He kissed me."

She fell silent now. I sat there stunned. I waited for her to continue but I already knew what was coming.

"I kissed him back," Teagan burst into tears.

My head fell into my hands as I couldn't process the information. A million things ran through my head now. I did nothing but stand and walk out the door.

"Jake, wait," she called.

I didn't stop as I reached my car. Teagan stood at the door and called me. I got in and drove off. I drove to the park and sat in the car watching everyone that passed by. I just sat there absentminded until it was time to go to practice.

I drove to the school and went into the gym. The girls were already there and waiting for me. I searched around for Teagan but didn't see her. I pulled the door shut and locked it.

"What's going on?" Mandy asked a little worried.

I pulled her off to the side.

"Between you and me only. Teagan and I aren't doing good right now. I don't want her here so I'm locking the door."

"What happened?"

"Don't worry about it. Let's get ready for Monday."

"Ok," she said.

They did there thing. Mandy showed her leadership and did a good job running the practice as I was there but not there.

"There won't be practice tomorrow," I said as they gathered around. "I've got some things I need to take care of at home so I need a break. Enjoy your weekend and I will see you here Monday."

I left and didn't know if I wanted to go home or not. I had to face this problem sooner or later. I walked in the door to a dark house and a note on the table. I crumped it up and threw it at the wall. I picked up my phone from the table and dialed Jenny.

"Teagan?" she answered.

"No, it's me."

"You sound down, is everything ok?"

"No," I sighed.

"What happened?"

"Teagan dropped a bombshell on me after we got off the phone."

"Like what?"

"She went out with her ex and they kissed."

"And?"

"I don't know the rest."

"You didn't even let her explain the situation?"

"I heard enough. I had to leave."

"That was stupid of you Jake," Jenny scolded me. "You should have let her explain the circumstances before you just walked out."

"This is what I get when I let my guard down and I am the nice guy. Nice guys always finish last. Hasn't anyone ever told you that?"

"That's the dumbest thing I think I have heard you say Jacob."

Wow, she called me by my full name. Nobody ever does that unless they are serious.

"Where is she now?"

"I'm assuming she went home."

"She didn't say anything?"

"She left a note."

"And?"

"I didn't read it. I'm so stressed."

"Get the note and read it you hard headed dumbass."

"Jenny?" I asked. Never had I heard her speak to me this way. Jenny was always a level headed person that never got too emotional when she was giving me advice.

"Yeah, this is me telling you not to be so stupid and throw this away."

I picked the note off the floor and uncrumpled it. I read what she wrote to the both of us.

"I'm going to stay home tonight. Please don't hate me. I still love you and I don't want this to ruin us. I will be by in the morning to see you after practice. Please let's talk. You don't know how much you mean to me. I remember something you said to me a long time ago and it still plays in my head every day." The lyrics to the song I sang her were written on the page. I softly smiled at that.

"Tomorrow when she comes over to talk to you, just listen," Jenny offered. "Listen to the whole situation and the things that led to the event. Then you do what is right for the both of you. If you need a few days to figure it out then take them."

"I know Jenny."

"Call me if you need me."

"Yeah," I sighed.

I was sitting on the couch when she walked in the door. She came right over and sat down in the love seat. We sat in silence for a minute before she started.

"I don't know what to say," she whimpered.

"Tell me what happened."

"We talked. I let him get to me then we kissed."

She sobbed in the chair as she looked at me. She wanted me to take control of the situation but I remained still. I just waited on her.

"We walked back to his place. We talked some more. We kissed some more."

She looked at me now. Her eyes were all red and swollen as she waited for me to say something. I just sat there. I knew what was coming next. I knew where this was going. I wanted to explode but I knew what it would lead to.

"I had sex with him," she balled. "There, is that what you wanted to hear? Fucking say something."

"What do you want me to say, Teagan?"

"I don't know?"

Her face was a mess. The pain of what happened devastating her as she looked at me. I stayed level but the pain was like a knife cutting me slow and deep.

"We didn't get far. I came to my senses and stopped him. I slapped the shit out of him and left. Just like when you and Sam....."

"No," I said. "You are not bringing Sam into this."

"I'm sorry," she gaged on her tears. "What do I have to do to make this right?"

"What the hell were you thinking?"

"I wasn't," she croaked. "I'm sorry. Dam it, I'm sorry."

I sat there in stunned silence. I shook my head as I rested it on my hands. All the shit we had been through together and now this. I guess I knew how she felt when Sam jumped me that night.

"Talk to me Jake," she begged. "Say something."

"I don't know what to say. After all we have been through. I'm at a loss for words right now."

"Say it's going to be ok. Say you hate me and never want to see me again. Say something!"

"I'm numb."

She just cried. Balled her eyes out as I sat there and tried to come up with something. I felt like shit. My past was catching up to me. I did say that karma had a way of getting you. I could only sit there and look at her crying.

"Please say something," she begged.

"Go home Teagan," I said. "If we want this to work I need some time to think about everything. Be at the steak house on Friday night at 7. If I'm not there then you have my answer. If you are not there then I have my answer. If we both are there then we know the answer."

She started to speak but I held my hand up. "That's what I am telling you do to. Go."

"I'm sorry," she sobbed as she climbed from the chair and looked at me.

She walked out the door and I broke down. I called Jenny even if it was early. I figured she would be up anyway.

"What are you going to do?" she asked.

"For once I'm going to let my heart guide me."

"What's it telling you?"

"It's broken."

"If you are looking to me for advice, I can't help you. This is something you have to do on your own."

"I know Jenny. I got to go."

Work was a welcome distraction on Monday. I spent the day catching up and seeing patients. I left at four to get to the school so we could be at the game on time. I got into the locker room after the JV players had cleared out and addressed the team. I just gave them a basic speech about playing hard and being there for each other. I pulled Taylor off to the side as the rest of them took the floor to warm up.

"I'm sure you have some idea of what is going on between your sister and me."

"It's hard not too when she is crying in her room and hasn't come out to eat in two days," Taylor said flatly.

"It's between her and I and it's not going affect the team and how I feel about you. I'm keeping my personal life out of this."

"I know," she said. "I just hope you two figure it out. I hate to see her like this. You know she loves you right?"

"That's what makes this hurt so much," I sighed.

"Whatever she did, I know she regrets it and is sorry," Taylor offered.

"Yeah, I do to."

She turned and walked off. I gathered my thoughts before I went out to join them. It was hard to pretend everything was ok but I managed. The girls made my job easier and played well again winning by 22.

I took my lunch break the next day and met Megan at the bank to get everything taken care of. She knew something was up and asked me what was going on.

"It's not good," was all I could offer. "We haven't spoken since Saturday."