My Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I know that you offered to help but I can't just take money from people, even you. I have to earn my way. I know you are now a retired professor and probably living on a limited income. I couldn't use you for my personal gain. I care for you too much for that. I couldn't believe that you paid five thousand dollars to be with me at this benefit. I think you used some very poor judgment but decided to come after you ended up writing Stella that check. I'm going to give you back the part I make on this trip. I get sixty percent of the money. There is no way I can accept this much money from you. In fact, I need to talk to you about our relationship, but not till after this award banquet.

"We'll talk again after the banquet. I will not accept any more money from you, I'm sorry, I just can't. After our talk tonight please don't ask for me at Stella's anymore."

I heard everything she said. I decided to go with the flow and let her find out about me at the benefit. I told her to try and enjoy herself at the benefit, that it was all prepaid including her own private room which had its own hot tub in it.

"All I ask of you is please act as though you are my friend at this benefit. There will be a lot of people watching us and I have to mingle a lot. Also, I should tell you that my sister is a straightforward person and her husband will be there also. They know you only as my friend."

"Harley, I don't act with you. I really enjoyed the retirement party. There was no acting. When you and I have sex, there is no acting there either. You need to know that."

We arrived at the airport and took our seats on the plane. While in the air she had a drink and I asked for club soda.

"Harley, you better see a doctor. Your stomach ailment has been going on too long to be indigestion."

"I'll think about going after we get back from the trip. We'll see then."

Marie was impressed with our hotel accommodations. We had adjoining rooms with a door that locked between them. She had the hot tub on her side. I had one at home so it didn't mean that much to me.

"When we get back tonight, I'm going to spend a lot of time in the hot tub," said Marie. "I love them."

"I have one at home. I never realized you liked them so much. Of course I have always asked you to come over, but you never wanted to come to my place."

We dressed for the banquet. I put on my tuxedo and knocked on our joint door. When Marie opened it, I couldn't believe how beautiful she looked. Elegant would be the way to put it. I pulled out a little box that contained a diamond necklace and long earrings.

"How beautiful, Harley. Where did you rent them from?" asked Marie.

It didn't seemed odd that a person would lease or rent expensive jewelry for elegant gatherings. "I'll explain later; right now we need to hurry over to the banquet room."

She slipped on the necklace and earrings. To me she looked like a movie star ready to walk the red carpet.

As we entered the banquet room everyone noticed our entrance. Person after person came up to greet us. "Mr. Davidson, it's an honor and a pleasure to see you." That must have been said a hundred times. Everyone complimented Marie on how beautiful she looked also.

"What's going on here, Harley? I'm getting a little nervous. The people are nice and all but they act like you're the president or something. They're treating me like some kind of royalty."

I laughed and as I was about to tell her what was going on my sister came up to me and gave me a big hug. "Hi, Harley. It's so good to see you. So, is this the special woman you've told me about? She's kind of young for you but she is gorgeous."

"Marie, meet my little sister, June. Mom named her that because that was the month she was born. The old guy with her is my brother-in-law, Bill. He's the only man alive that can keep her in line other than me," I laughed.

"June, Bill, this is Marie, a very special friend. Now, I have to talk to a couple of people. June, please answer any questions Marie might have. Tell her the truth about me and our business. I think she's a little nervous right now."

I pulled Marie to the side. "I'll be back in a few minutes; I have to talk with a couple of people. You'll be more than safe with June. Feel free to ask her anything you want."

As I was walking away to talk to a couple of people I saw June sidle over to Marie. "So my brother said that you are studying to be a nurse and almost have your credits finished. You do know my brother is - what should I call it? - infatuated with you? I can see why. You are one nice looking woman. I see Harley pulled out all the stops and you're wearing Mom's jewelry."

"What? Your mom's jewelry? Oh, my God, I'm so sorry."

"Easy Honey, I know I come on kind of strong. Mom willed it to him. I received similar jewelry. To be honest with you, Harley bought it for mom. Don't be nervous but he paid somewhere in the vicinity of a hundred thousand dollars for it, and that was over ten years ago. He must think a lot of you to let you wear it or he might even be thinking of giving it to you, who knows? Harley's a very generous man."

"I don't understand. Harley is a retired University Professor; did he get willed a lot of money? He never mentioned he was wealthy."

"Ok, Marie, my brother is a philanthropist. He gives money to people and organizations that he believes are in need. He is here tonight to receive the National Good Samaritan Award."

"Why didn't he say anything to me about it? I feel so foolish, I feel so... confused now," replied Marie.

"Honey, he brought you here tonight so he could let you know the truth about himself. He was never good with the women. He really is rather shy. The way he got wealthy was that he invented a lot computer hardware and software. He has over sixty patents which means, for ten years, on each patent he gets compensation every time his products are bought or used in a computer. Even though he only gets fifty cents or so on each patent used on every computer, it adds up to millions of dollars.

"He started a corporation called HD Investments. He puts all his royalties into it and then gives or loans out money to needy people and corporations. There are only two stock holders: Harley and me. He owns seventy percent and I own thirty percent. It's a closed company and no one else can buy into it. They wouldn't want to anyway because it doesn't make money. The loans are tax free and the only additional monies are interest from where he invests the unused portion of the fund. I'm nothing but a second figure head. It's all Harley but he doesn't want too many people to know so I get a lot of the credit for loaning money. Tonight we are here together to accept the National award for HD Investments."

"June, please believe me when I say that I had no idea that Harley was worth anything. How wealthy is he?"

June laughed and said, "He's not wealthy, he's super rich. His worth changes daily but at last audit he was worth well over half a billion dollars."

"Oh, my God, June; I can't see him right now. Will you tell him I'm so sorry but I have to leave? I can't face him right now." Marie ran out of the hall.

After the awards were presented, I went to June and she told me about Marie's reaction. I just don't understand women; I don't know what I did wrong. I said my goodbyes to a few of the people and to June and Bill and headed out of the hall. I rushed to my room and the joint door was open. There on the desk was a note.

"Dear Harley, I'm so sorry for running out on you but I just couldn't deal with facing you right now. I put the necklace and earrings back in the box and it is on your dresser. I am leaving for the airport. Please don't try and get hold of me. Love, Marie."

My stomach started hurting; I figured I probably got an ulcer for dealing with Marie.

Since I had the room for the night, I undressed and sat in the hot tub. I thought 'To hell with the ulcer' and ordered up a bottle of champagne.

In the morning I felt like hell. I called June and Bill and decided to have breakfast with them. I ate some scrambled eggs and had orange juice. My stomach wasn't getting much better. I asked June what she thought my problem was with Marie.

"I think she was totally embarrassed finding out your wealth. Some women don't handle that kind of information well. She definitely is not a gold digger. I believe she has earned her way though life and doesn't accept handouts. If you want her to be with you, you have your work cut out for you."

"What do you think, Bill?"

"All I did was observe. She really cares for you but I'd say she is afraid that you might think she wants you for your money now. I don't know how you can prove to her otherwise. All I can say is she is one beautiful lady and you would be lucky to have her. Not only for her looks but I believe she has a lot of integrity."

"Thank you both for your opinions. I guess it's just something I'll have to mull over. The reason I never told her about being rich was I want to be wanted for something besides my wealth and I might have lost the only woman who liked me for myself."

When I got back home I tried calling her home but April said she didn't want to talk to me and asked me exactly what happened.

"What did she tell you, April?" I asked.

"She said you were rich and right now she can't deal with it. Is it true, Harley?"

"Let's just say I'm financially stable. By the way, tell Joe that the loan he received has been written off as paid. Just tell him to make us all proud in the mall development."

"Oh, my God, I can't believe you would do that. Thank you so much, Harley, and I wish you the best with Marie. I think she needs time."

I waited another week and went by Stella's place.

"Is she here, Stella?"

"No, she hasn't been back to work since she can back from that trip Harley. She said something about being embarrassed about being around you, Harley. Is it true that you are filthy rich, Harley?"

"I don't know about being filthy," I smiled, "But I am rather wealthy."

"I know I shouldn't ask this Harley, but if you have let's say an extreme amount of money, why did you charge me ten thousand dollars for the computer system?"

I laughed, "Stella, Stella, Stella, I know you're worth quite a bit too. Do you give your product away to people in need?"

"Good one, Harley, I see your point."

"Stella, I help people who I think need help. If you would have shopped around you would have found that your system is worth over thirty thousand dollars."

"I wondered why a few professional people didn't believe me when I told them what I paid. Harley, Marie is graduating Saturday. She gave me two tickets to attend. Would you like to go with me to it?"

"I'd love to go. Let's make a date of it and I'll take you out for dinner. Oh, I don't mean sex, Stella, just dinner."

Stella laughed. She was a good person and we did have dinner before going to the graduation. We talked about Marie and how she wanted the job to help her get though school. Stella didn't think she would be coming back, especially if she got a job as a nurse.

I saw Joe and Alice at the graduation. Joe actually came up and gave me a hug and thanked me for helping him out. I said hi to all the kids and they wanted to know when we could all go to another game. I told them I'd give Joe some tickets and they could all go. I would be busy but maybe their mom could go with them. It earned me a frown from Alice but I knew she was kidding.

When the awards and diplomas were given out we all stood up and cheered for Marie. We might have looked a little foolish, but we didn't care. Billie and Annie were really proud of their mom. She had looked out at us and was smiling.

After the ceremony, I left before she came to see her family. I didn't want to put her on the spot on her special day. I waited outside for Stella and then took her home.

A couple more days went by and my stomach was really hurting, so I made the trip to the doctor.

"Doc, it's my stomach. I think I must have an ulcer."

He did all the usual tests and poked around my abdominal area. "Harley, I want you to go across the street to the hospital and have some x-rays taken. I'll give you a call in a day or two when I get the results."

Two days later I received a call from the Doc. "Harley, please come in this afternoon. I need to talk to you."

"What is it, Doc? Just an ulcer, right?"

"Come in this afternoon and I'll show you. I have your x-rays here."

I went in and the Doc showed me my x-rays. "Harley, you have at least two tumors on the outside wall of your stomach."

"Are they malignant, Doc? Do I have cancer?"

"I don't know, Harley. I want you to check into the hospital and we will take a biopsy and go from there. Let's not put the cart before the horse. Let's get the results and we can proceed from there. Either way we will want to remove those tumors."

"Doc, give me a couple of days. I have a couple of things I need to take care of first."

"Don't wait too long, Harley. We need to get those tests run and those tumors taken out."

"Level with me, Doc; we've known each other a lot of years. What are the chances that these tumors are malignant?"

"About an eighty-five percent chance that they are malignant, but even if they are, we might have caught it early enough. So please, Harley, no longer than two days."

I left the doctor's office wondering what to do next. I set up an appointment with my attorney and my accountant for the next day. I needed to get a few things taken care of.

"Lloyd, Riley, I am going to the hospital. I need a few things done before I go in. Lloyd, I want my will changed. I want you to leave everything the same except add the name 'Marie Dupree' to it as a beneficiary. She's a very close friend. If something happens to me see that she gets one hundred million dollars."

"Harley, do you think..."

"Lloyd, this isn't up for discussion. Please see that the changes are made."

"Yes, sir, I'll do it right away."

"Riley, transfer two hundred thousand dollars from HD Investments into a private savings account in the lady's name also. I want this money available to her immediately. Are there any questions?"

"What's going on, Harley? Why the rush?"

"I have tumors on my stomach. You can take it from there, guys. Just make sure these changes are made. If something should happen to me, Lloyd, you are still the executor of my estate and of course my sister is the main beneficiary. Riley, you are still in charge of HD Investments in my place. Choose your charities well and make sure June agrees with you.

"Tomorrow I'll be in the hospital for more tests. We'll see what happens after that."

"Good luck, Harley, and we will be praying for you."

I said my thanks and headed over to talk to the hospital administrator.

"Ralph, thanks for seeing me on such short notice."

"Anything for a good friend, Harley. What can I do for you?"

"First, I need a favor. A very close friend of mine has just graduated from nursing school and is looking for a position at a hospital in the area. I'm sure she will apply here, seeing this is the biggest and the best Her name is Marie Dupree."

"No problem Harley, I'll make sure personal looks at her resume."

"Ralph, I would like you to interview her yourself, as I said this is a very special friend. I'm sure you'll like her. Please don't mention me to her. She is very independent. I would never ask you to do this if I thought she wouldn't be an asset to your hospital."

"Sure, Harley, anything for the founder of HD Investments."

"The other thing, Ralph, is I'll be checking into your hospital. I don't know how long I'll be here but I don't want everyone to know about it."

"We'll do our best to make your stay as comfortable as we can Harley."

I thanked Ralph and left his office. I made a note to call Riley and have him make a small donation to the hospital. I always like to help people who have done favors for me. In Ralph's case, it was somewhat the other way around.

I checked into the hospital and my doctor already had my tests set up to be run. They took a biopsy and it was what we had expected. I had two malignant tumors attached to the outer wall of my stomach. The doctor told me that he would have to remove a small portion of my stomach as well as the two tumors. If they find that the tumors hadn't spread, then I would have a really good chance of recovery. He asked me when I wanted to have the surgery and I told him I needed a day to think about it.

"Harley, what's there to think about? With the surgery you have a sixty/forty chance of recovery. Without the surgery, you have a ninety-nine percent chance of death."

"I understand, Doc; I'll let you know tomorrow."

--------------------------------------

Here I am, back to where the story started or is ending, depending on how you want to look at it. I was lying in my hospital bed wondering what I should do, when in walks Marie.

"Hi, Harley. Why didn't you call me? Something this important and you didn't even tell me."

"You said you didn't want to see me, so I honored your request. How did you find out anyway? Very few people knew?"

"The hospital told me. First, I want to tell you I don't work at Stella's anymore. I haven't since I came back from that trip with you. I got a new job starting Monday as a nurse in this hospital. Of course you already knew that."

"How would I know? I haven't even talked to you. In fact I didn't know you got a nursing job, so there!"

"Harley, how many nurses get a call from a Hospital Administrator shortly after their graduation? My interview had your fingerprints all over it. I do want to thank you for that, even though it kind of hurt my independent thinking. I couldn't pass up the opportunity."

"So, Ralph told you I was here? He wasn't supposed to tell anyone. Wait till I see him."

"Ralph didn't tell me you were admitted. You did by way of your admittance papers. You listed next of kin as June and the closest contact person, in case of any problems, as me. So I was called when your test results were received. The hospital and doctor always talk with the family when this type of result is found. So when are you going in for surgery?"

"I don't know if I am."

"What? You can't be serious? Harley, you have a sixty percent chance of a full recovery. Why on earth wouldn't you take it?"

"Marie, I'm damn near sixty. No family to speak of except my sister who lives five hundred miles away. I don't know if I want to go through all that pain and agony; having half of a stomach and possible radiation or chemotherapy treatments. I don't know if I want to go through with all that. According to the doctor I will need some special care for at least three months while I'm healing. I've made peace with my maker many years ago. Give me one good reason why I should put myself through all that for a sixty percent chance of survival."

She had tears running down her cheeks when she said, "I'll give you three good reasons, Annie, Billy and Marie. They are three people who really care for you and don't want you to give up."

"But you said you didn't want to see me anymore. What changed that?"

"You did, you big lug. You practically told everyone I'm your mistress and now everyone thinks I want you for your money."

"I did no such thing. Where did you possibly get that idea?"

"The bank called me to inform me that I needed to come in and update my file. Since I had deposited two hundred thousand dollars into my account, they needed more accurate records."

"What did you tell them?"

"That I was a hooker and became your mistress and the money was for services rendered."

"Surely you didn't say that?"

"Of course not, you goofball. They needed my date of birth, address and other information. Anyway I decided if I have to explain why you gave me money then I might as well be with you.