Necromancer Chronicles Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Magicwrtr
Magicwrtr
2,998 Followers

Turning to Lisa I said, "You can let him go now."

He frowned, "What about the leg?"

I winked and said, "Have a look for yourself."

His eyes widened as he took in the fresh looking skin, almost like a newborn baby.

"Thank you."

I nodded and the three of us walked out to the main council chamber. There were only a few more minutes before lunch break. Leanne waved me over looking happy to see me, so Lisa and I sat over with her. The vampire I healed disappeared out the back door. Silas was going on about the death of the vampires being a crime, and I agreed, it was his crime.

He was telling the truth, but in a way that twisted everything, I could even feel his compulsion lightly touching the entire room. I didn't understand how he was getting away with that, but he seemed to be. Slowly the attack started making sense to me. If it succeeded he wouldn't have anything to worry about. Since they fought off the attack, Silas now had more false ammunition against them. He was playing a dangerous game though, it was all lies, a veritable house of cards that could collapse on him at any time.

Yet, the others ignored it. I understood it was an internal vampire matter to a certain extent, but he was the one raising it in council. Of course he would need the others help if he wanted to fight a necromancer, maybe it was that simple but I still felt like I was missing something.

This is why I hated politics and usually stayed out of it. But I had failed my granddaughter enough in this life, I would do what I could for her if necessary.

He finally stopped spewing shit and the meeting broke for lunch.

We went to a nearby Deli for some hoagies and ate in the nearby park. I mentioned some of my concerns, and asked about the compulsion.

Willa rolled her eyes, "He isn't fooling anyone I don't think. Although I am ashamed to say he went behind my back and one of the other covens helped him with amulets this morning, without my approval. I'm honestly surprised the necromancer and vampire woman are still alive, they must both be very powerful. Still, I will not help Silas, and have taken the head of that coven to task for interference.

"I cannot act against him either, unless some way is found to make this a joint community issue. I don't see how though short of nominating him into his own council seat. It could be argued that Vampires as undead belong to both groups which would open it to the rest of us as well. But no one else would go for it. I trust what you told me yesterday, but no one else will. It's just too weird. Necromancers are cruel bastards who trap and enslave ghosts, especially us paranormals, they are not the good guys.

"I could challenge for leadership, but honestly I'm pretty sure he would kick my ass."

I just nodded glumly, I hope my new friends, and lover, wouldn't hate me if I had to act. There was one legitimate way for me to do so, to claim her as kin, but honestly I think I'd rather break the law than have to explain that.

We chatted about other things, they laughed when I told them about my young neighbor and teased me a bit. He was kind of cute, but it wasn't going to happen.

"Do you ladies have any plans for tonight?"

Lisa shrugged and Leanne waggled her brows at me lasciviously. That kind of made my brain explode, I hadn't considered one of my descendents being attracted to me before, it had never come up. I wonder if it really would be taboo after ten generations. That's probably a greater genetic diversity than second or third cousins. Not that diversity would matter anyway, both being women. I was pretty sure she was just joking around though... I think.

Willa said in a conspiratorial voice to Leanne and Lisa, "We could go out dancing? Ply Anise with drinks until she forgets that her stuff arrived, then take her home and have our way with her."

Lisa blushed but Leanne just said, "I'm in."

Willa looked at me and said, "Sound like a plan?"

My voice cracked a bit when I said yes, I couldn't tell if they were serious or not. Polyamory sounded good on paper, but hardly ever worked. At least not in the long run. Jealousy was an ugly and destructive emotion.

We finished up with lunch, fed the leftover bread to the birds and went back to the council building. I sat with Lisa and Leanne as Willa took her seat. Something was different today, I expected to feel discordance and anger from Vince and Amy, but that wasn't it at all.

There was barely disguised joy in both of them, mixed with a little fear and uncertainty. It was strange. Amy's aura was different as well, more powerful, but it was hard to read it with so many supernaturals filling the room with their power. It all overlapped and mashed together. What the hell had happened this morning?

Silas slammed his gavel twice and called the room to order before speaking.

"Vincent, I see that you have brought Amy before us so we can determine some things. However first there is the matter of the vampires you killed this morning."

Vince narrowed his eyes and stood, "The ones you sent to kill us? Yes, we acted in self defense."

Silas looked annoyed and completely ignored the accusation.

"Very well, Amy please approach so we can question you."

The next words out of Vince's mouth took me by surprise. I thought I liked surprises but I'd had too many the last couple of weeks.

"There has been a change I am afraid, you no longer have a claim of any kind on Amy."

Silas asked, "And why is that."

Vince smiled, "Because, she is no longer a vampire."

Silas looked annoyed and snapped, "Then what the hell is she if not a vampire?"

Vince shrugged, "I have no idea. But if anyone in the room has a claim on her, besides herself that is, it would be Councilor Willa."

Silas spluttered, "Wait, you no longer have a claim? Willa?

Willa was staring Amy, like examining a puzzle.

"Well, I didn't say I didn't have an interest, just not a claim. She is no longer bound in my service. As for why Willa, simply put Amy is a witch."

I wasn't sure what Silas had planned, but apparently his train was derailing, he was on his way to turning purple and I almost giggled at the smug look on Vince's face.

"So anyway," Vince continued, "Unless you have more nonsense questions about a hit squad you yourself sent after me I'll sit down and let Amy speak for herself, as it should be."

Silas nodded his head and Vince went to sit. I saw it when she stood up, the bond between them, from soul to soul. It was something I had not seen in centuries. Vince had made Amy a lich, but not. With the servant bond in place she would have been a living extension of his will, a powerful puppet that could direct undead troops in battle, while the necromancer stayed at a safe difference.

But Amy was free. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, this necromancer, this demon, had entrusted her with so much power and dominion over his minions. It didn't make sense, at least not until I saw the look they shared, the squeezing of hands as they passed each other. The joy mixed with apprehension made sense now too. They were in love.

Amy's soul was untouched as well, which meant the demon had yet to sleep with her. Perhaps there was a way I could make up my failures to her after all.

She strode up and nodded her head to the council, a grudging sign of respect.

Silas asked, "So how did you determine you are no longer vampire?"

Amy said in a relaxed voice, "It is quite obvious. I no longer crave blood, have no fangs, and can eat food. My body is naturally warm, and my powers as a witch are back, my connection to nature strong. About the only thing that has stayed the same is my speed and strength. I am clearly not a vampire. More than that, I am a free creature. I will respect the witch's creed and do my best to honor any requests from councilor Willa."

Silas opened his mouth, then closed it. He seemed at a loss on how to proceed. By the rules he had absolutely no cause to detain Amy, and in fact it could cause an intercity war if he pursued it. I did not think he was done however, I could see the rage in his beady little eyes. He'd have to go back to planning now.

Silas asked with contempt in his voice, "Can anyone here explain what happened to Amy, since the Necromancer doesn't know what he did? Can it be undone?"

No one spoke, and I held my council. Necromancers strong enough to create a lich were especially feared, plus, Amy wasn't truly a lich, not with her free will intact. No, she was something else altogether.

Silas dismissed them and asked for the next issue up on the council. I got up garnering strange looks from Lisa and Leanne as I followed them out. I caught up with them a block away as the moved to get in their car.

They turned and looked at me questioningly. The lack of recognition on Amy's face hurt, even though I knew I was disguised.

Amy asked in an abrupt voice, "What do you want?"

I said, "I want to give you a gift, though I will not tell you why I feel I am in your debt. Vince can verify that, I am almost positive that is one of my greatest desires this moment."

She looked alarmed but Vince just nodded. "I figured you could see me too, are you what I think you are? And if so shouldn't you be... I don't know, trying to kill me?"

I giggled, "I am, but only half, plus why would I kill such a good man. You really must watch your back, you did great in there but only temporarily flatfooted him. I will be honest, most of the community would love to see the manipulative bastard replaced, or at least, I believe that is so. None are strong enough to challenge however. You should join the council, or at least try. If you get desperate you can always contact me."

I felt guilty saying that, despite it being good advice. After all, I could do the same thing.

"Sorry, it's really none of my business, but ever since I arrived I have been fascinated with the only good necromancer I ever met, and annoyed by that piece of shit on his throne. I really do owe you Amy, but I would have helped regardless. Especially for such a small thing that will bring much joy."

I grabbed earth and spirit, shaping a ring of ruby and sapphires. Tastefully sized, not overwhelming. It was very pretty. Then I pulled up my angelic power and bound a ward of protection, also feeding it the element of spirit to stretch out how long it would last. I used precious gems on purpose, not to be gaudy, but because crystalline structures held spells the best, and for a longer timeframe.

I handed the ring to Amy and said, "The spells should last about a year, wear that whenever you lie with your man and your soul will be safe, this I swear. Contact me when it wears out and I will come. I am the only one that can do this for you that I know of."

She looked curious and said, "Why just you?"

I sighed, "I will trust you with this little lich. But ask that you tell no one my secret. I am Nephilim, as far as I know, the last one."

I noticed Vince was staring at the ring like it was life itself and looked a little dazed.

"He's cute when he looks poleaxed," I mock whispered to Amy.

She finally smiled at me and I almost lost the tight hold I had on my emotions.

She asked, "What did you call me, a lich?"

I sighed, "You are not, but that is the closest thing I can think of. You are something new. You are exactly as powerful as a lich, and with the slave bond it makes the lich an extension of his will, able to command all his troops through one slave. But without the slave bond..." I shook my head, "You are entirely something different. No other necromancer would ever consider such a risk."

She looked alarmed, "What risk?"

I looked around and just in case dropped a shield of air over all of us, I should have done it earlier, stupid. I didn't sense anyone near though, and there were no other spells present so I was sure we were good. Mostly.

I explained, "Well like a regular lich, your life is dependent on his. If he dies you die, if your souls lose connection you would live a short time, until the magic burns out, then you would die. But you have free will which makes a big difference. He has entrusted you with his power, his minions, and his very soul. Trust is such a beautiful thing, take care of it. I should go back, do not be surprised if Willa contacts you. She is a very good woman. Take care. Ooh, we should exchange numbers so she can call."

I threw the idea around in my head then asked, "Do you want one more shock?"

When she nodded warily I explained who Leanne was to her, she seemed a little unsteady when she pulled out a pen and paper. I would guess she thought her whole family had died that night, to find out her baby lived, I can't even imagine. Well, actually I can, just not after a two hundred year stretch of thinking them lost.

I snickered at Vince after getting her number, he was looking at me as if not sure if I was real or not. Amy gave me a short hug and I walked back to the council room as they got in the car and drove away. I had a feeling they'd be going straight to bed when they got home.

If I were her I sure as hell would be...

When I got back to my seat Lisa asked me what I was doing with them, her voice curious. I was in a room full of vamps, shifters and casters so I told the truth, but only a very small part of it. Too much of what happened was sensitive.

"I got Amy's number in case Willa wanted to call her. I think they need to see not everyone will be unfriendly to them."

I shrugged. I was hoping to get a call from a hospital soon, or even a hospice. The council had been entertaining with the Vince and Amy issue, and I didn't mind being here for Willa and all, but it got pretty boring as the day dragged on.

When the council finally closed session, we split up to get ready and they planned to pick me up after they got put together. I took a shower, did my hair and makeup. I wore sexy red lingerie under my little black dress, threw on some three inch heels and was ready to go. I wasn't sure where they were taking me, some club for dancing.

They all looked stunning when they arrived. I decided not to tell Leanne yet, about who Amy was. I was surprised she didn't already know, she must not have read her genealogy yet. I wasn't sure how distracted the information would make her, so I figured I'd wait for the morning, or tonight when we were done with the fun.

I did feel a little guilty, outing them to each other, but keeping my own counsel on how I was related to them both. We ate a quick dinner and got to the club around nine. It was still relatively early, so not much of a line. Before I knew it we were out on the dance floor, the four of us dancing together and having a good time.

After the third dance I was feeling a little hot, I moved over to a table and ordered a drink. Someone sat down next to me while I was taking a sip and I suppressed an eye roll, after all I was in a club. But when I looked over I recognized him right away. It was the sorcerer on the council.

"James right?"

He was still handsome though middle aged with that salt and pepper hair. He looked distinctly out of place here in a dance club. Most of the others were in their twenties.

He gave me a nod and said, "Hello miss Thomas, I hoped to speak with you a moment?"

I gave him a smile while trying to figure out what the hell this could be about.

"Please, call me Anise. What can I do for you councilor?"

He said, "I couldn't help but notice you followed the necromancer and his... companion after they spoke with the council. I wanted to caution you to avoid any... misunderstandings. I do not wish for a sorcerer, or sorceress, in my city to become entangled in any Vampire matters."

I frowned. "Could you explain that to me, I was under the impression it was no longer a vampire matter at all. Shouldn't that issue... settle down now? If there are any problems from Vince it would be a community matter, and quite clearly if there is an issue with Amy, it should be a matter for Willa, not Silas? Or does Chicago not work that way, I don't want to step on any toes but understanding the situation may help me avoid those entanglements you mentioned."

I had no intentions of staying away from my granddaughter, but things were... strange here. Did the community really let Silas have that much power? I hated politics, but I was seriously considering changing that stance. Especially since I was ready to start a new life, find a partner. Normally I avoided these types of things, but if I was going to live a lifetime here, instead of just making a few casual friends and leaving again in three years, I may have to get involved. Truthfully I already was.

James pursed his lips, as if finding my knowledge of how things should work to be annoying. Didn't everyone in the community know these things? I wondered if things had gotten seriously off kilter in the supernatural world the last hundred years while I was keeping to myself. Or perhaps I was just reading into it too much.

"Anise, that is how it should work, but whatever the necromancer did to Amy has Silas, and some others, concerned. Do you know what they intend to do?"

Oh, he's here to fish...

I shrugged, "Couldn't say. All I did was get contact info so Amy could connect with her new community. I have no idea if she will call, or want to be a part of a coven or not. How would I? I don't know them. I will say Vince seemed sincere when he said he just wanted to go his own way."

He asked, "But surely you have an impression?"

I raised my eyebrow.

"Very well, I'll tell you what I think as a newcomer to this city with no stake in its power struggles. Vince is the only good necromancer I have ever met. I'd say you should ask him to take a council seat, recognize Amy as part of his group, and let him defend the city. As for what he would do, I really have no idea."

He looked disgusted by the idea and I shrugged.

"I know that won't happen, Silas wouldn't let it happen for obvious reasons. But you asked..."

He said, "But you intend to... stay out of things?"

I looked at him piercingly, "That is my desire and my intent. As long as the council follows its mandate I can do what I want which is stay out of it."

I almost cringed at what I said, but I couldn't lie. Not only morally, because he would know if I did lie.

"Very well miss Thomas, enjoy your night."

"Anise," I corrected.

He bowed his head, "Of course, enjoy your night Anise."

I pondered as he walked away. I had hoped he would give me more of a clue how he stood. My best guess was he was in Silas's pocket. Leanne joined me after getting a drink and I asked her a few questions. I was starting to have suspicions and needed them clarified.

"Do you know when the city was last attacked, or an attempted takeover?"

Leanne looked thoughtful for a moment and said, "The werewolves fought off a takeover attempt from a pack a couple of years back, before that... I'm not sure. I think maybe forty years since we had to defend the territory, why?"

"Wait, the shifters fought alone, the other communities didn't help?"

She shook her head. "The shifters brought it up in council, but Silas said since it wasn't an attack against the whole community it was a werewolf problem."

Things had changed while I moped from city to city doing my healing thing. No wonder the level of politics and backbiting seems so high to me, without having to defend from without, it seems they lost the ideals of what a city community was. I tried to disguise my shock that the werewolves were forced to fight alone. That's not what should have happened.

Now I was unsure about what to do. The joint community was one of the bedrocks of what I knew. It was a given. Something that came to be expected after the millennia of my life. Something that wasn't supposed to ever change. Silas would never step down, never give a more powerful person like Vince a spot on the council. Not if it wasn't about protecting their city anymore, it had become like the humans run things. All about personal power, rising to the top and keeping others down.

Magicwrtr
Magicwrtr
2,998 Followers
1...345678