One Night at the Jefferson Ch. 3

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She had a small silver anklet on, and a matching bracelet. Around her neck was a very delicate silver chain of tiny links. Suspended from the chain was a silver crucifix, which hung low enough to almost be lost in the cleft between her breasts. A small black velvet handbag hung from her shoulder by a black strap. She was absolutely stunning.

Lauren stood up and approached her, still unable to utter a word. She had no idea that her friend could look like this. Roxanne watched her with a curious expression. Lauren stopped in front of her and just stared her mouth working but no sound coming.

"Well?" Roxanne asked.

"Beautiful," Lauren whispered.

"Worth the wait?" she asked with a small smile.

"Definitely,' Lauren replied.

Roxanne beamed and Lauren hugged her gently, taking care not to wrinkle her dress or muss her makeup or hair. Roxanne hugged back and kissed her cheek.

"Ready?" Lauren asked finding her voice at last.

Roxanne nodded and followed her out of the room. They walked down the hall and took the elevator to the first floor. When they reached the entrance Lauren pulled open the heavy glass door and held it for her. Roxanne blushed a little as she walked out into the night. Lauren followed her, admiring the way her heels forced her butt out and added a saucy wiggle to her walk. She hailed a cab and held the door open for Roxanne, and then slid into the seat next to her as she scooted over.

Roxanne sat primly with her legs crossed. Her hem had ridden up a little and Lauren thought for a moment she could see her stocking tops. Lauren smiled when Roxanne's hand automatically tugged her hem down.

"Where to ladies?" the driver asked.

"Turconti's Restaurant," Lauren replied.

The driver nodded and flipped the meter. He accelerated smoothly out of the hotel's driveway and up the darkened street. Lauren sat back and relaxed enjoying the music and the ride. The driver had some kind of exotic Caribbean music going, it was very sensual.

Turconti's Surf and Turf was one of the new restaurants on the old waterfront. It was built with a weathered wood façade and a nautical motif. The walkway was lined with ships ropes, and a great anchor was mounted on a concrete pedestal out front. The cab pulled up to the sidewalk and Lauren got out before the driver could. She held the door and helped Roxanne out and then paid the driver. There was a large line at the door and people sat on benches and leaned on the railing outside watching the traffic on the Mississippi River.

"Maybe we should go somewhere else Lauren," Roxanne said.

"Nonsense," Lauren replied and led her friend up to the end of the line.

"I hate waiting in line," Roxanne whispered to her.

"I know," Lauren replied with a smile. They stood in line as it moved forward. Couples and families moved past them back to the front porch carrying brightly colored beepers that would let them know when their table was ready. Soon they were standing second in line.

"It will be a forty-five minute to an hour wait," the young girl at the hostess station said.

The man shook his head and guided his girlfriend out without taking a pager. Lauren could hear him cursing under his breath while his girlfriend whined about wanting to eat here. The girl gave them an apologetic smile.

"Table for two?" she asked in a tired voice.

"We have reservations," Lauren said winking at Roxanne when her face showed relief.

The girl found their reservations and a waiter seated them. They had a small booth with deep blue upholstery and a checkered blue and white tablecloth. The booth was cozy with high, gray, wood walls separating it from the booth behind Lauren. A candle on the table supplemented the indirect glow of track lighting.

The menus were sitting on the table, and the waiter dropped off two glasses of water before he moved over to another table to take their order. Lauren took her menu and scanned it quickly. She had asked about the food when she made reservations, and quickly found the dinner recommended by the person she had spoken to. The Fisherman's Platter was three filets of fish of your choice, 6 shrimp boiled or fried, 6 oysters fried or on the half shell, scallops, stuffed crab or crabs legs and a salad or soup. Lauren knew she would not be able to eat all of that food, but it would give her the widest variety, and she could always take home the uneaten portions.

The waiter returned. He was a handsome, young man, with unruly black hair, and sexy brown eyes. He was lanky and tall and looked rather ridiculous in the flatboatman outfit that all the waiters wore.

"Are y'all ready to order?" he asked in a thick southern drawl.

"Give us a few more minutes," Lauren said after glancing at Roxanne and seeing the blank expression on her face.

"Sure, can I get you something from the bar?" he replied

"I'll take a crown and seven, and she wants a Long Island Ice Tea," Lauren replied.

"Sure thing, I will be right back," he said hurrying off. Lauren kept the menu in front of her but watched Roxanne over the top of it. She seemed to be fine and looked intently at her menu.

"What ya having?" Lauren asked.

"I think I will have the steak and crab legs," she said.

"What do you want to drink?" Lauren asked.

"Sweet tea," she said.

"Ewwww," Lauren said wrinkling her nose.

The waiter returned with the drinks and sat them down on the table. He took a pad out of the apron around his waist and a pencil from behind his ear.

"Ready to order?" he asked.

"I think we are," Lauren said glancing at Roxanne.

"All righty, what'll it be?" he replied.

"I'll have the Fisherman's Platter," Lauren said.

"Fish?" he asked jotting something down.

"Catfish, blackened," she replied.

"Oysters fried or half-shell?" he asked

"Fried," she replied after a moment's hesitation. She wasn't real keen on oysters one way or the other.

"Shrimp?"

"Fried," Lauren replied deciding to not worry about calories tonight.

"Stuffed crab or Legs?"

"Legs, with butter please," she said as her mouth began to water, she was really hungry now she realized.

"Soup or Salad?"

"Salad, blue cheese dressing,"

"And to drink?"

"Unsweetened tea," She replied.

"And for you?" he asked turning his attention to Roxanne. She started to speak but Lauren cut her off.

"She is having the London broil and crabs legs," Lauren said watching her intently. Roxanne looked startled and blushed, but made no effort to assert herself. The waiter turned his attention back to Lauren.

"Rare, Medium or Well?" he asked.

"Well," she said automatically.

"Soup or salad?"

"What's the soup?" Lauren asked.

"French onion," he replied.

"She'll have the soup and sweet tea to drink," Lauren said.

"Great, I'll have your teas out in a just a moment, would you like me to just leave a pitcher?" he replied.

"Please," Lauren said smiling.

After he left Lauren turned her gaze Roxanne. The smaller woman returned her stare for a short time then looked away blushing.

"What's the matter?" Lauren asked.

"Nothing!" Roxanne replied quickly. Lauren arched an eyebrow and said nothing. She took a sip of her drink and watched her smaller friend. Lauren could tell the drawn out silence was making her nervous. She had begun to fidget, and her eyes darted around ceaselessly.

"I just didn't expect you to order for me," she blurted out finally.

"Did it bother you?" Lauren asked.

"No, it was just unexpected and a little embarrassing," she said thoughtfully.

"I asked you out on this date, it is customary for the one who asks to order and pay isn't it?" Lauren said.

"Well, yes I guess it is," she responded.

"And you really like it when your date takes charge don't you?" Lauren pressed.

"Well, yes," she replied blushing again.

"But you don't want me to?" Lauren said quietly.

"I didn't say that!" she replied quickly.

"Then what's the problem?" Lauren asked with a smile.

"It's just that everyone will know, I mean people will think.." she stammered.

"Are you embarrassed to be with me?" Lauren asked. She was enjoying the pretty blush on her friend's cheeks and the confusion written on her face. More than that, she was determined to find out how Roxanne felt this very night. Her own mind was fairly close to being made up, but she had to know what Roxanne wanted before she would open herself up.

"No!" she said plaintively.

"Then what's the problem?" Lauren said smiling.

"It's just.. never mind," she said quietly.

Lauren let it drop for the moment. She would have her answer before the night was out, but if she pushed to hard, she might drive Roxanne away, and she didn't want that.

They finished their drinks and the food came. The meal was excellent and the quiet buzz of many conversations filled the restaurant. Roxanne was very quiet, chewing her food slowly with a pensive expression. Lauren had expected this. She was beginning to learn how her new lover ticked. She still found her friend's quick and deep withdrawals into herself to be disconcerting. Her own nature was more open and explosive, and it took a great deal of mental acuity to glimpse things from Roxanne's view.

The waiter came with the check, and Lauren took it automatically. She passed on taking the extra food home, when she realized she didn't want to be carrying it around all night and that she didn't want to go back to the hotel either.

"Can I get you anything else?" he asked taking their plates.

"Two coffees please," Lauren said.

"Coming right up," he said with a smile. He returned with two large china cups of coffee on small saucers. Lauren took her time fixing hers and watched Roxanne. The smaller woman doctored hers almost mechanically, and took a sip without seeming to taste it.

"Are you all right?" she asked softly.

"Hmm? Yes, I am fine," she replied. Her voice was lowered, barely above a whisper.

"So what would you like to do now?" Lauren asked.

"Whatever you want to," the redhead replied

"I was thinking we might take a walk in the park, and maybe go to a club if you're up for it," Lauren said.

"That sounds nice," Roxanne replied.

"Are you sure you're all right?" Lauren asked. She was becoming concerned at the strange look on her friends face, and the faraway tone to her voice. Lauren's hand was on the table tapping nervously. She had not even noticed it was there until Roxanne placed her own gently upon it.

"I am fine," she said. She stared at Lauren then with such gentle love in her eyes, that it was almost painful for Lauren to look back at her.

Lauren nodded but couldn't speak. That gentle touch had totally unnerved her. All of the certainty she had built up vanished like a cloud under the bright sun. That simple touch and the accompanying look related to her a love so deep, and tender, and gentle, that she couldn't comprehend it. She knew now that she would wait for her answer for as long as it took, she would never be able to push that question as she had planned. Roxanne sipped her coffee and it took Lauren a moment to realize that Roxanne had not removed her hand.

They finished their coffee in a silence that was deep and meaningful. The night seemed pregnant with something that Lauren was not at all sure of. The small booth seemed to be insulated from the world around it, a haven for just the two of them. There was a build up of something that became more and more unbearable as the minutes passed.

"Are you ready?" she asked at last.

"Yes," Roxanne replied. Her face was red with a blush that had no explanation.

They rose and walked to the counter where Lauren paid for the meal. Roxanne had walked ahead of her so she was not in the way of the people in line behind Lauren. When they started for the door she was in front of Lauren. She stopped at the door and waited, it took Lauren a second to realize she was waiting for her to hold the door.

Lauren quickly opened it and held it for her, and she smiled at her as she went out.

*** *** **** ****

Willie's was a small jazz club off the main strip in the quarter. Lauren had made several calls to other clubs before she found it. Tonight's act was a jazz trio she had seen back home some months before. Their sound was classic jazz, with a bluesy undertone that she found very sensual. She hoped Roxanne would like them too.

She found the place, and the two of them entered through the scarred wooden door. The inside was smoky from countless cigarettes and cigars. This haze, and the low lights, made it difficult to see very much upon entering. As her eyes adjusted Lauren made out a small club with a few booths along the walls. The majority of the patrons were black, and seated at the wooden tables arrayed in front of the small stage. Each table was covered in a red or white cloth that stretched to the floor. Canned music was being piped through the speaker system. Lauren was glad of it since she took it to mean they had not missed the opening act.

An overweight black man, with graying temples, and black sunglasses, sat behind a section of counter that had been converted into a security station. He was leaned back in a corner on a bar stool, with a half empty bottle of whiskey.

"Evening ladies, y'all here for the show?" he asked in a deep bass voice that seemed to rumble up from his chest.

"Yes we are," Lauren replied pleasantly.

He sat forward on his stool and put his elbows on the counter. With one hand he lifted his shades and stared at Roxanne.

"You sure your old enough to be in here missy?" he asked. Roxanne blushed, but before she could reply he smiled warmly and laughed. Lauren smiled too.

"It's a ten dollar cover tonight," he said.

Lauren placed a twenty on the counter and he took it. He put it into an open cigar box on the counter, and retrieved two blue tickets like one would win at the fair.

"Free drink tickets, enjoy the show," he said smiling and sat back to take another swig of whiskey.

They made their way through the crowded tables, towards a secluded booth with a good view of the stage. Lauren noticed that they were getting a lot of looks. Most of them were appraising looks from the men. The majority were directed at Roxanne, and Lauren felt a confusing mixture of pride and jealousy.

The booth held a small, round table, with the upholstered bench in a semi-circle around it. The upholstery was faux leather, and had once been red, now it was a dingy maroon color, with many stains and cigarette burns. The table was a very darkly stained wood, with a multitude of cuts and scratches. Roxanne sat and scooted towards the back part of the circle so she could see the stage. Lauren sat on the other side of the booth and scooted back as well. They were now seated next to each another in the deepest part of the arc that the bench formed.

The table was between them and the stage. A tired looking waitress in a faded dancehall girl outfit wound through the tables taking orders. She reached them on her way back towards the bar.

"Drinks?" she inquired in a pleasant but tired voice.

"Crown and seven for me and a glass of wine for her," Lauren said.

"White or red?" the waitress asked.

"Do you have a merlot?" Lauren asked.

"Yes," she said scanning a laminated card taped to the back of her order pad.

"What kind?" Lauren asked.

"Stellenbosh?" she said pronouncing it slowly.

"That's fine," Lauren said.

She took both of the tickets from Lauren's hand and disappeared from their view in the direction of the bar. Lauren turned to find Roxanne staring at her with an amused expression.

"What?" Lauren said.

"Wine?" She replied with a small grin.

"You wanted something else?" Lauren asked. She captured Roxanne's eyes with her own and her gaze bored into them. The redhead blushed, but did not attempt to break the hold Lauren's eyes had on her. The blush became deeper, and Lauren felt the world close in until it seemed to consist of just the two of them.

The waitress returned with their drinks and the moment passed. Roxanne took a gulp of her wine and looked around. Lauren sipped her drink and also glanced at the rest of the club she could see. There were a few tables between their booth and the stage. Lauren noticed a small section of the floor to their right was sectioned off as a dance floor. The music coming through the speakers ended abruptly and the lights dimmed.

For a second it was absolutely dark, and then the stage lights came up. These illuminated the stage well, but left their booth cloaked in deep shadow. There were some scraping sounds as people seated in chairs adjusted them so that they could see the stage. Four men filed out of a curtained side entrance and approached the stage accompanied by mild applause.

Lauren's attention was diverted from the stage when she felt Roxanne shift her body. She turned to look at her smaller friend to see she had tucked her leg under her body, and was leaning back into the cushion. She was holding her wine glass in both hands, and Lauren noticed with a small smile that it was almost empty.

Lauren caught the waitress's attention and held up a finger and then pointed to Roxanne. The waitress nodded and continued to take orders from around the floor. The band started their first number and Lauren sat back and closed her eyes. The first number had a very strong bass line that thrummed through the small club. Behind Lauren's eyes the red and green clouds coalesced and tumbled to the beat of the music.

Her mind slipped back to the day before. She remembered lying on top of Roxanne, with the strap-on deep inside her little friend. They had both orgasmed, and the little redhead had said I love you, or mouthed it rather, no sounds had come. Did she mean that? Was she prepared to accept all that went with it?

The waitress arrived and placed the second glass of wine on the table. Lauren gave her money and a good tip. Roxanne put her first glass down and picked up the second. She took another gulp of it and sat back again. Her eyes closed, and she soon began to sway with the music. The next song was a slower one, filled with soulful wailing and powerful percussion.

Lauren leaned back again. Her shoulder touched Roxanne's and she closed her eyes, just enjoying the music and the pleasant buzz she had on. She was feeling a little horny, and a lot frustrated. She longed for some sign from Roxanne besides the shy smiles and anxious glances. She was in such turmoil inside over what she should do. She wanted something definitive from her little friend, something that would allow her to make up her own mind.

The song ended and Lauren opened her eyes. Roxanne was still sitting with her eyes closed and her glass in her hand. Most of her wine was gone and Lauren had to smile to herself. She looked hot now and Lauren put her arm around her lover and pulled her close before she really thought about what she was doing. If she had given little thought to the action Roxanne seemed to give it even less. She snuggled close to Lauren and finished her wine, placing the near-empty glass on the table.

The booth was still dark but their eyes had adjusted to the dim light, as had others in the bar. Lauren looked down at Roxanne to see that she was looking up at her with those big green eyes. They held a restrained excitement that she found very appealing. The music was slow and soulful now, almost prompting her to make a move.

Lauren leaned down and Roxanne's eyes closed as her lips parted slightly. Lauren parted her own lips and pressed them to Roxanne's. Roxanne's lips were warm and yielding and Lauren slipped her tongue between them for the briefest moment and then pulled back. Roxanne's eyes were still closed and as Lauren watched her tongue lick her lips. Lauren could taste her lover's lipstick on her own lips. She looked back to the stage feeling someone's eyes on her. She quickly located the source of her feelings. A man and woman were sitting at a table near the stage, but neither was watching the performers. Both of them were staring directly at her and Roxanne. Lauren felt a little self-conscious, but returned their frank stares. It only took her a few minutes to realize that they were both involved in more than watching. The girl's arm was rhythmically working on something under the table, and Lauren had no doubt on what. For his part, the man's hand was also out of sight, and the expression on the woman's face left little doubt where his hand rested. The man smiled and raised his glass to her.