Reinventing Emma

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,331 Followers

"I like it too," mom said with a happy smile. "I was so glad when Amelia let me take her on a shopping spree for college."

"My wallet didn't like it all that much," dad interjected. "But I do like the new look."

"Okay, it's time for you two to go," I said, swallowing with some difficulty. The last thing I wanted was for my parents to ruin everything by talking about the changes I'd made this past summer as I got ready to leave home. "I'm hungry and there's a freshman orientation meeting later tonight."

"Do you want to go out for dinner? You too Sophie. My treat?" my father asked. That would never do.

"Thanks daddy, but I want to try the food on campus."

"Are you sure? You know what they say about college food. Girls don't put on the freshman fifteen by accident you know." I knew he was teasing me and normally it was no big deal, but right now all I wanted was for him to take mom's hand and leave.

"It's not like the extra weight would hurt her," mom sighed. "She's still far too thin."

"I like the way I look," I said defensively.

"I'd kill to be that thin," Sophie added kindly. Now all three of them were looking at me as if I wasn't self-conscious enough already with my new look.

"Please," I snorted, looking at Sophie more closely. I shook my head at what I saw. "You're perfect. You don't have an ounce of extra weight on you and you're far curvier than me." She really was too. It reminded me of my earlier concerns about how the boys would flock to her. "We're going to have to set up some ground rules. A girl with your looks is going to have guys stopping by day and night, and I need to focus on my studies."

"Amelia Jane!" my mother cried. I guess I should have waited until my parents were gone before bringing up the subject, but after looking at Sophie it just slipped out. It's not like I was wrong, but mom was just too old fashioned to understand.

"And on that note," my father interjected. "It's time for us to go."

I walked them out of the dorm and back to the car. Mom cried and even dad looked a little misty eyed. He had to almost push mom into the car to get her to leave and then he gave me a hug and a kiss on my forehead before moving to his side of the car. He opened the door, but paused before entering.

"Amelia, be happy," was all he said before getting in. That more than anything else made my eyes tear up. I wiped them quickly as I made my way back to my room. Sophie was there waiting for me. I figured there was no time like the present to get this settled.

"I'm sorry about before," I said as I walked in. "But we really do need to come up with some ground rules and I wasn't wrong before. You're beautiful and built like the boys like so that means they will be hovering."

"A girl who's not afraid to speak her mind," Sophie said slowly and then smiled, adding, "I'm going to like you. And by the way, if the guys are hovering, it won't only be because of me. You're beautiful too. In fact, you have the bluest eyes I've ever seen."

"I'm not nearly as pretty as you are, but that's beside the point," I argued. "I really want to do well in school and I don't plan on letting anything, especially boys, distract me."

"Me neither," she agreed. "Actually, you'll be happy to know I already have a boyfriend so guys shouldn't be an issue."

"That's great," I said, finally smiling. A boyfriend at home was perfect. Maybe having Sophie for a roommate wouldn't be as bad as I feared.

"Of course, you might change your mind about dating," she continued. "So you're right, we should come up with some ground rules." It didn't take long for us to agree on what they would be. It was pretty much common sense. No visitors after ten on weeknights and no sleep overs on the weekend without prior approval. That last part was in case Alex, Sophie's boyfriend decided to visit.

We went to the student union after that to get something to eat. We barely settled at a table before two guys sat at the table next to us and tried to strike up a conversation. Sophie and I exchanged a look, but didn't comment.

Billy and Ben seemed to be nice enough, but neither were my type, not that I had a type. Billy was average height and obviously worked out. He was decent looking and seemed to have a good sense of humor. Ben was a tall blond and almost as pretty as Sophie. He also clearly had a thing for her. The guys were good friends from the same hometown who decided to room together at college.

"You're pretty quiet," Billy said to me at one point. "Getting a little home sick already?"

"Not really," I replied, trying to decide how the new me would act with a boy like Billy. The answer was obvious. The girl next door was just one of the guys without the gas or crude comments. "I do miss my friends, but I'll be seeing them soon enough and college is exciting."

"So, no boyfriend at home?" he asked. Okay, so it was weird to realize a guy like Billy was hitting on me. He was obviously one of the popular kids back at his high school and none of those type gave me a second look unless it was to make a crude joke or proposition me. Still, I recognized the look in his eyes. Based on the way he was staring, I figured I had to do something quick to put him off or he'd begin pursuing me more seriously. I didn't need that headache.

"Actually, I do," I replied, thinking quickly. "His name is...John. He goes to a military academy." I figured that last part might help intimidate any guys who were giving me unwanted attention. It didn't seem to bother Billy, but he did back off a little.

"Lucky guy," was all he said before turning to Ben and cracking a joke. Sophie gave me a knowing smile. I didn't bother sighing, but it was difficult. College was definitely going to be interesting if nothing else.

Sophie and I went back at our room after the freshman orientation meeting which seemed to be more of a meet and greet than anything else. It was a surprisingly fun, but a lot of that had to do with Sophie. She started telling me which animal each of the people we met reminded her of and why whenever we had a moment alone. Some were pretty bad, but most made me smile and for one or two I even laughed out loud. It wasn't long before I joined in.

We continued chatting about some of the people we met as we got ready for bed. We were getting along surprisingly well so I couldn't help tease her a little bit about Ben.

"You boyfriend Alex better be careful," I joked. "Because Ben is a really good looking guy and he seems seriously into you. Frankly, if he stared at you any harder I think his eyes might have popped out."

"What about Billy?" she retorted. "I think John might not approve of the way he was looking at you."

"Yeah, about John..." I began, wondering what I should say.

"Oh don't worry about it," she laughed. "I think maybe if I weren't dating Alex then I'd probably have made up a boyfriend too. The guys here are awfully aggressive."

"Guys? Did you see some of the girls tonight?" I asked in amazement.

"The blond who dragged Billy to the dance floor and pretty much thrust her tongue down his throat for two whole songs before leading him out of the party," Sophie said, sounding just as surprised as me. "And they weren't the only ones making out in public or disappearing early."

"It was weird right?" I shook my head before continuing. "In high school if any girls did what that blond did they be labeled sluts forever." I had reason to know, not that I was going to tell Sophie that. "I guess things are different at college."

"I don't know about that," she replied. "I pretty much will think of her as a slut whenever I see her on campus." I did the best I could to hide my frown. Sophie hadn't struck me as all that judgmental up until now. I didn't quite sigh in relief when she added, "Not that it's that big of a deal. It takes all kinds. Besides, to be fair, my brother says that you shouldn't hold anything anyone does the first week of college against them. For a lot of people this is their first taste of freedom and they're bound to let loose before finally settling down."

"You have a brother?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Two actually," she replied. "I'm closer to Hank, but Phil and I get along well too. Phil is almost six years older than me. Hank is only two. He's starting his junior year."

"I'm an only child," I offered.

"That sounds heavenly," she sighed, but I could tell she was joking.

"I wouldn't have minded a couple of siblings," I said thoughtfully. "Being an only child can be lonely at times."

"I can't picture a girl who looks like you ever being lonely." I didn't quite shake my head. For some reason Sophie seemed to think I was a lot prettier than I was. She'd made a few comments throughout the night.

"You're great for my ego," I said. "But I'm not really all that good looking."

"You're wrong," she insisted. "I would kill for your legs, and let's not even talk about your smile." Sophie shook her head ruefully before continuing. "Guys swoon when they see it. It's too bad you don't do it more often."

"Guys do not swoon when I smile!" I snorted. "Frankly, they're too busy staring at you to even notice. Not only are you beautiful, but you have curves in all the places guys like to see them."

"Men," Sophie sighed. "If it wasn't for my Alex, I'd probably give up on the whole species."

"I have," I said, unable to stop myself. It was the truth, but I was saying more than I planned, especially considering how little I knew Sophie. It's not like I hated guys. I'd just had my fill, at least for the time being.

"A lot of bad experiences?" Sophie asked. I panicked at the words 'a lot'. I didn't want anyone to think I had nearly as much experience as I did with guys.

"Not really," I replied, which wasn't that bad of a response, but then I had to add, "In fact almost none. I was a late bloomer and pretty much a book worm back in high school." I bit my lip stopping myself from saying anything more. I'd made myself sound like a complete loser and nerd. That was so not the plan.

"So that's why you're father meant when he said he liked your new look," Sophie said thoughtfully. "I was wondering."

"You caught that huhn?" I asked, swallowing with some difficulty. I had to be very careful here. It was only my first day on campus and I had almost completely blown the plan already.

"Sure," she replied easily, not seeing my fear. "Not that I would have guessed. Don't worry. You're secret is safe with me."

"My secret?" I asked, my heart thumping in my chest. Did I say or do something that let Sophie see right through the charade I'd been trying to pull off?

"The fact that you don't have any real experience with guys," she answered. "You come across far worldlier than you are. In fact, I bet no one will guess that you're still a virgin."

Sophie thought I was a virgin? Seriously? My panic subsided considerably. I wish I'd been smarter with my words, but it was better to be thought an innocent virgin than who I really was, or at least used to be. Still, I didn't want to fall back into being Amelia, the girl I was before I had my eyes so rudely opened. Mostly because I knew I couldn't pull it off.

"Um, I'm not nearly as innocent as you think," I said as we each got into our beds. She looked at me oddly and my heartbeat picked up once again. "I mean, I am a virgin, but I have done some things with a boy."

"Really?" she asked with a grin. "Care to share them with me?"

'"No," I said, smiling nervously. "We don't know each other well enough for that."

"There's the smile I was talking about," she retorted. "The one that will drive the guys crazy."

"Yep, that's me," I snorted. "It gets boring stepping over all the guys who fall at my feet, but a girls got to do what a girls got to do."

"Oh, we're going to get along fine," she laughed. "In fact, now that I know one of your darkest secrets, I guess it's only fair that I tell you one of mine. You have to promise never to tell anyone."

"Oh yeah? And what might that be?" I asked with a grin. I knew it was going to be something silly based on her tone.

"I'm addicted to old television shows," she replied, pulling out her laptop as she spoke. "And not just any shows, but the Sci-Fi and Fantasy ones."

"Seriously?" I asked, not quite picturing it.

"Yep," she smiled. "You should see the posters I have in my room back home. I didn't bring any here because I want to keep that part of me secret, but you being my roommate and all, there's no way I'd be able to hide it from you."

"And why is that?" I was honestly curious about her answer.

"I don't want everyone at school to think of me as a geek," she replied, but then laughed and added, "Besides, I sort of promised my mother. She afraid I'll end up spending my nights locked in my room watching television instead of going out and making friends."

"Hmm, I wonder why she'd think that?" I teased. "I mean, it is night time and clearly, you're making ready to watch something."

"Hey! I went to the orientation first and met loads of people."

"Most of whom you made fun of."

"Beside the point," she insisted. "You want to watch something with me?"

"Well, I don't have much exposure to the type of shows you're talking about," I said honestly. "Believe it or not, we only have one television at home and mom and dad don't watch the types of shows you're talking about."

"Wow, you're a virgin in more ways than one," she laughed.

"You're pretty big with throwing that word around a lot, aren't you?" I retorted. "You know, it's not something I want everyone to know."

"Hey, I already told you that your secret is safe with me so relax," she said more seriously. "Just breathe while I attached my computer to the television. We'll start you with something light. Charmed. You're going to love this."

Sophie surprised me by throwing her pillows and a blanket on the rug in front of the television. She also went to one of her closets and pulled out a bag of popcorn and tossed it into the microwave. Finally, she went to the mini-fridge which I hadn't even opened yet and pulled out two bottles.

"Do you drink?" she asked. "They're just wine coolers. I had my brother Hank pick me up a case. Mom and dad weren't thrilled when they saw me unpacking it from the car, but they let me bring it up. The truth is that I'm addicted to these things."

"Sometimes," I answered. I didn't drink much these days, but when I did wine coolers would definitely not have done it for me.

"Have one," she offered. "You can always put it down if you don't like it or the alcohol bothers you." Not liking it wasn't a problem, but then again I'd had a drink every so often over the last two years so it wasn't like I couldn't control myself. Besides, it was a wine cooler. My old friends would have laughed at the idea of getting drunk from them.

"Thanks," I said, taking the bottle. I took my two pillows and my blanket and threw it on the rug next to hers. Sophie put the popcorn between us once it was done and we settled in. She held her bottle up toward me and I did the same with mine. She clinked them together.

"To new roommates," she smiled.

"To new friends," I replied and then we both took a drink.

"Now let's see if I can corrupt your taste in television shows."

Okay, so here's the weird part. I really did enjoy the show. It's not that it was a great show, but it was entertaining and different. Sophie made me watch three episodes before we finally went to bed. We joke and laughed pretty much the whole time.

I was half asleep when I realized that I'd survived my first day as the new me, although not unscathed. Apparently, I wasn't quite going to be the girl I planned to be. On the other hand, I had a big smile on my face as I drifted off, so I guess the new me wasn't going to be that bad after all.

**********

"Are you sure you're going to be okay by yourself?" Sophie asked for the fifth time. We'd only been roommates for less than two weeks and we were getting along far better than I hoped.

"I think I can survive three days without you," I teased. It was Labor Day and I was surprised by how many people were actually going home. I lived way too far away for that. Besides, as much as I loved my parents, I had no desire.

"I'm sorry I can't invite you home with me." Sophie was just closing her bags as she talked. "But mom is hosting the family reunion this year and she's awfully stressed. Besides, with Phil and his family staying with us and Hank bringing his roommate home with him, there just isn't any room for anyone else."

"Don't worry about it," I smiled. "I'm not good at parties anyway. Besides, I'd hate being Alex's and your third wheel. You two have fun."

"Are you sure John isn't planning on visiting? Because if he is and he's bringing a buddy from his military school I can blow off Alex. I just love a man in uniform." She was teasing me. She knew full well that John was fictitious. It was just another secret she kept for me.

"Just get going. Your father is waiting outside."

"Yes mom," she teased, making me laugh before she hugged me and left.

The weekend went by quickly. I caught up on my classes, did some studying and spent time reviewing how my first couple of weeks at school were going. The answer was surprisingly good. The best part was that I was starting to seriously enjoy the new me.

Having Sophie around had actually worked out far better than I feared. Not only were we getting along, but her good looks, sense of humor and outgoing manner were making us both more friends than I could have hoped for on my own despite the fact that she seriously was addicted to old television shows. We would watch a few episodes pretty much every night.

Last weekend Sophie insisted we go out and she invited everyone in the hall to come along. A surprising number agreed. We had a good time and it was nice to get to know most of them. The whole college bar scene was different than I expected. It was far more relaxed. Oh, there were always people working hard at getting drunk, but for the most part people were pretty laid back now that the initial reaction to being away from home was beginning to disappear.

Going out was fun and seldom cost anything. There was always a guy willing to buy you a drink when you were with Sophie. Still, I only had two most nights. That was my limit and I seldom went past it. Sophie kept pace with me and we spent most nights out talking and laughing. She was turning into the type of friend I'd only dreamed about since moving into the big city.

Of course, she didn't know the real me, but that was a good thing in my book. The only problem was that I found myself tempted to tell her everything because we'd connected so well. Maybe one day, but for now I avoided talking about myself as best I could. I had to make up a few stories about high school. I hated lying to Sophie, but what choice did I have? Thankfully, it was easier to talk about grammar school. She got a kick out of the fact that my grandfather was a minister.

I was looking forward to Sophie's return by Sunday night. I was starting to get lonely. I guess I could visited some of my other new friends who hadn't gone home for the weekend, but the truth was that I missed Sophie. She was the type of person who brightened a room the moment she walked in. That was why I was surprised by how she looked when she got back.

"What's wrong?" I asked the moment I saw her. She shut the door behind her, took one look at my concerned expression and started crying. I don't remember moving toward her, but the next thing I knew I was holding Sophie. Her cries turned into sobs.

Sophie was a few inches taller than me so I led her to my bed and sat with her still in my arms. We stayed like that for quite a while, but I didn't mind. Sophie was my best friend and this was what best friends were for.

JoeDreamer
JoeDreamer
6,331 Followers