School Days, Rule Days

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,789 Followers

As they got ready to eat, Erin asked Adam, "Do you mind if Cameron and Shay have a small glass of wine with dinner?"

Adam looked at his brother and said, "It's okay with me. I certainly won't tell anyone."

Everyone laughed before Cameron said, "Sure, I'll take some. Thank you, Ms. Kimball."

She poured a small amount into his glass and said, "At home you can call me Erin, okay?"

Adam extended the same courtesy to Shay, as well.

She went to pour some in Adam's glass and he said, "Oh, no thank you. I'm really not much of a drinker, Erin."

"Oh, okay. I had no idea." She turned to Shay, held the bottle up slightly and said, "Honey? Would you like a little bit?"

"Um, no thanks, Mom. I think I'll pass, too."

She poured herself a glass and said to Cameron, "Well, it looks you and I are the only ones drinking tonight, Cameron. Cheers?"

After dinner, the four of them were sitting in the living room with the guys on the large sofa and the girls on the smaller love seat.

Erin was sipping a second glass of wine when she said, "So Adam. You said you were also interested in music. Anything in particular?"

"I love classical music. I even play the violin a little bit."

"You're kidding?" Shay said. "I love classical music!"

Erin shook her head and said, "I know it's an important part of our culture, but I'll never understand the appeal. I guess I need some cultural refining but it pretty much all sounds the same to me."

"Here, here!" said Cameron. "I gotta leave the house when Adam fires up Beethoven or whatever. Give me classic rock over classical any day!"

"I am so with you, Cameron!" Erin told him. "Give me The Rolling Stones or Jimmy Hendrix or Lynyrd Skynard or Van Halen any day."

Cameron offered her a high five which she gladly accepted.

"Well, that was a bust," Shay said. "What else matters to you, Adam?"

"Helping the poor. I volunteer at a homeless shelter at least once a week," he said.

"I do, too!" Shay said with incredulity. "That is so amazing!"

"Cameron, do you go with Adam?" Shay asked.

"Uh, no. That's not really my thing," he said.

"I see. Well, what is your thing if I might ask?" Shay inquired.

"Making money." Shay made a face which prompted Cameron to say, "Look, if I could get a pro football contract I wouldn't think twice about accepting a huge signing bonus. Money isn't the root of all evil and I don't even think the love of money is a bad thing."

This time, Erin extended the high five which Cameron slapped hard.

"I'm with you, Cam," Erin said. "If I had any real alternative to teaching; if I could earn six figures in the corporate world, I'd be there tomorrow."

"Ugh!" Shay snorted. "Money. Life isn't all about money, Mom."

"I'd like to see you try and live a month without it, honey," she said kindly. "It's a necessity for sure and a very nice thing to have a little extra of."

"Well, I'm with Adam on the important issues," she announced. She got up, stood next to him and said, "May I?" pointing to the open space next to him.

"Please," he told her.

"Well, I tend to agree with Cameron so..." Erin got up and did the same thing and ended up sitting next to Cameron.

"There, that's better!" Erin said matter-of-factly. "Now we're sitting by someone with whom we at least have things in common." Everyone laughed indicating no one was actually upset by the different like and dislikes.

After another half hour of more pleasant conversation, Adam suggested they really should probably get going. "Oh, right," Cameron said. "You've got papers to grade already."

"Erin? Can I talk to you privately for a moment?" he asked.

"Of course," she told him as she led him back into the kitchen. "What's going on?" she asked. "Is it something with Shay at school?"

"No, nothing like that," he said. "It's just that Cam and I were talking and he/I/we kinda thought it would nice if he invited Shay to Homecoming and I wanted to give them some privacy. That's all. Of course, now that they know they're on opposite sides of the political fence..."

Erin laughed. "Oh, my goodness! That's wonderful. The Homecoming part, that is. ßI hope she says yes. Shay really needs to spend some time doing things other than studying. And like you, Cameron is a very handsome young man and if I dare say, he has a very good head on his shoulders, too."

Adam smiled and Erin said, "Adam? I was wondering if, well, maybe you might like to, you know, go out sometime, too. I mean, it's up to you of course. I was just thinking it might be..."

"Erin?" he said cutting her off. "I'd love to. In fact, I'm chaperoning Homecoming. Would it be too cheesy to ask you to go with me? Assuming Shay says yes, of course."

"Cheesy or not, I'd love to! You've got yourself a date, Adam!" she said cheerfully.

As they walked back into the living room, Cameron was sitting next to Shay and they were both smiling.

"So...?" Adam said.

"She said yes," he told his older brother.

"Awesome!" Adam said. "Now, don't get all crazy, okay? You know I'm chaperoning Homecoming, right?" Cameron nodded and Shay, who just learned that fact, nodded, too. "Well, Erin suggested we do something together too, so I just asked her to go with me so...is that okay?" Adam's eyebrows were raised and his voice went up at the end of the sentence.

The two younger people looked at one another and smiled. Shay said, "Well...as long as both of you stay on the old people's side of the room, I guess that'll be fine." Everyone laughed and said goodnight which included hugs for both couples and small kiss on the cheek from Adam to Erin.

The next day, Adam caught Shay as she was leaving the classroom and said, "Shay? I just wanted to say thanks for having my brother and me over this weekend. It was really nice."

"Oh, you're very welcome. We enjoyed it, too," she told him.

"Will you tell your mom how much we appreciated for me?"

"Sure. Of course."

She started to walk away when he said, "Oh, one more thing. Do you know what color dress your mom will be wearing by any chance? I just want to get the right corsage, you know."

"Not yet but I'll try and find out and let you know. Mine will be midnight blue, by the way," she said with some hesitation. "You know, in case Cameron asks."

"He's pretty clueless on that kind of stuff but I'll make sure he knows. No worries, okay?"

"Okay. So...see you later, Mr. Garvin?"

He didn't say anything for a moment then said, "I just wanted to let you know that was a really beautiful dress you wore Saturday. I meant to tell you that at the house, but...well, I don't know. Anyway, you looked great."

Shay noticed her heart was beating faster and she suddenly felt very shy. She couldn't think of anything else to say so she just blurted out, "Oh, okay," then turned and walked out. Halfway down the hall she shook her head and said to herself, "Oh, okay? Geez, Shay. What is wrong with you? Okay???"

Both of the ladies were thrilled with the corsages even though Adam had picked out both of them. For most of the evening the 'old' people did mange to keep to themselves while the younger kids hung out with their peers on the side of the gym floor.

"I think Shay really likes Cameron," Erin said to Adam as they watched them slow dancing.

"Yeah, looks that way, doesn't it," he told her over the music. "You wanna dance, too?"

"I'd love to!" she told him. "This'll give us a chance to check up on them without making it look like we're checking up on them."

Adam let Erin around the floor until the just 'happened' to almost bump into Cam and Shay. "Well, hello there!" Erin said.

"Ugh! Mom, I told you to stay over there where you belong," she said only partially joking.

"Sorry, honey. I can't help it. Adam was leading and next thing I know, here we are," she said innocently. "How's everything going?"

"Great," she said flatly.

Adam and Erin looked at one another and decided to let it go. Adam moved Erin a little further away and said, "Did that sound 'okay' to you?"

"Not so much. I'm not sure she'll tell me anything, but I'm dying to find out what's going on." She was looking over Adam's shoulder to try and see if she could tell anything by their body language. "Adam? Do you think you could get her to talk to you? I mean, if you asked her to dance she might open up and then you could let me know. I just don't think she'll say anything to me and oh, I don't know. Am I being a worry wort here?"

Adam laughed and said, "Not at all. You're being a good mom. I'll ask her to dance but only if you dance with Cam. Otherwise it'll look...you know."

"Inappropriate? Yes, I definitely do know. No problem. I'll be glad to."

When the song ended the DJ said, "We're gonna slow it down ever more folks. Grab your best guy or gal and get ready for some more smooth sounds!"

A popular song came on that Erin had heard but didn't know. It sounded sad and tortured, but it was definitely the kind of song that provided a good excuse to hold that special someone a little closer than normal. She and Adam walked over to the 'kids' and said, "Let's switch it up, okay?" She looked at Shay and pointed to Adam while she extended her hand to Cameron. "Oh, come on. I'm not that old, am I?" she said to him as she pulled him out onto the floor just as Adam escorted Shay along beside them.

"I'm not really much of a dancer, Ms. Kimball," Cameron said as she took his hand.

"That's okay. We can just turn around in a circle like everyone else," she assured him. After a few seconds she said, "You're not that bad at all. Have you been practicing?"

"Yeah, a little. I wouldn't dance with Adam if my life depended on it, but he showed me what to do and I kind of copied him."

"Well, you're doing great, Cameron. So how are things going? You know, with you and Shay?"

Cameron looked down and didn't answer. "Cameron? Is everything okay?"

"I guess," he said. "Well, not really. Maybe. I don't know."

"Wanna talk?" she said.

"It's kind of embarrassing," he told her.

"I'm a good listener and no judgment here, I promise. So what's going on?"

"I uh...I was dancing with Shay, but I guess I was staring at someone else and she mentioned it to me."

"So...were you staring at someone else?" she asked.

"I think you know the answer to that, Erin."

"I beg your pardon?" she said indignantly. "How would I know that?"

"Because you were staring back."

Flustered, Erin told him, "I was doing no such thing! Okay, I may have periodically glanced your way, but that's only because I wanted to make sure Shay was having a good time. That's all."

He pulled her closer and in spite of her asking him what he thought he was doing, she didn't stop him. He said, "You're far more beautiful than Sarah Palin ever will be Erin, but if you lie to me I'll begin to see you as Hillary and she's neither physically nor politically attractive."

The comparison stung. It was like telling a liberal they reminded someone of Dick Cheney. It was the ultimate slam. Even so, she wasn't about to surrender her dignity without a fight.

"You can think whatever you like, Cameron, but I'm telling you the truth." She hated lying but the truth was too painful to admit.

"Okay, then what's your excuse for when we were at your home having dinner? You barely took your eyes off me the entire evening—Hillary."

Erin made a noise indicating her strong disapproval. "Okay, that was totally uncalled for. That was just mean," she said.

"No denial this time. That's a great first step! As they say, the truth shall set you free."

"I'm just concerned about Shay, Cameron. She did come here with you, you know."

"No worries," he told her.

"How can you be so cavalier about her feelings?" Erin asked with real concern.

"Because she's been staring at my brother all night herself. And if you look over there, I think the way they're acting will answer your question."

Erin looked over and noticed Shay and Adam were both smiling and laughing. Could it be that... No, that wasn't possible—was it?

Erin was so deeply confused she was surprised when she realized how much she was enjoying the dance. The song was coming to an end when he said, "I was looking at you because you are so beautiful to me it takes my breath away, Erin." Before he let her go, he moved very close to her and said, "I know you like it when I look at you and I intend to keep looking." He then moved his face even closer and gently kissed Erin on the neck which would have appeared to anyone casually looking as a polite kiss on the cheek. That briefest of kisses sent shock waves through her body. She was so stunned that when he let go of her hand she just stood there and watched him walk away.

When they got home around 2am, Erin said, "Shay, honey? Is there anything we need to talk about?" She'd been in such a good mood since she and Adam danced together she was hoping the 'incident' with Cameron was over, but she needed to make sure.

"No, I don't think so. Why? Did Cameron say something to you?"

"He might have mentioned a misunderstanding of some kind."

"I didn't think he would say anything," Shay replied quietly. She waited for a moment then told her mother, "You know, Adam helped put things in perspective for me and after that, it was fine. Oh, and I did meant to say thanks for suggesting that we, you know, switch partners. It was really helpful, Mom. And...kind of nice."

Erin was still so shaken from the kiss she wasn't sure what else, if anything, she should say. She finally told Shay, "Well, I'm glad to hear that, honey. I was just concerned whatever happened with you and Cameron might have ruined Homecoming for you. And between you and me, I think you should have been Homecoming Queen."

"Hah! Fat chance with Little Miss I'm-So-Perfect, Lindsay Grimes in the mix," she said with sarcasm dripping from her words.

"You know what, honey? For Lindsay, tonight is the high point of her life. She doesn't have your smarts or your common sense. So let her have her day. You'll have a lifetime of happiness and success, but Lindsay's best days are behind her. Her only real hope of success is to marry a rich doctor or maybe a senator."

Shay laughed and said, "I love you, Mom. You always know just what to say." She started to head upstairs then stopped and said over her shoulder, "You know, I really can't blame Cameron—for staring. I mean, you really are the most beautiful woman I know."

Shay's comment took her so aback she could only say, "Staring? Oh, yes. Right. Um, well, thank you, sweetheart. That was...very kind of you to say."

As she went to get ready for bed herself her mind was a jumble of feelings and emotions. She was too exhausted to think about it anymore until she had a few good hours of much-needed sleep, but she knew there was something very real about what had happened that wasn't going to go away on its own.

On Monday morning, Cameron was sitting in Mr. Craig's 3rd-period chemistry class just across the hall from his brother's room when he saw an opportunity. The class clown, Josh Hammond said, "Earth to Mr. Craig. Earth to Mr. Craig!"

Their teacher had been staring at the board for nearly three minutes. After the first minute, kids started pointing and snickering. After two, some started mocking. When he heard his name, Mr. Craig spun around and said, "What's with all the goofing off?"

Everyone burst out laughing and when Josh told him what had happened Craig said, "Nonsense! I was just deciding what to do next. Which is...oh, yes! Convent bonding. Who knows what that means?"

Josh blurted out, "That's when the nuns and priests get it on, right?" Everyone roared again.

Cameron said politely, "I think you mean 'covalent' bonding, Mr. Craig. He turned toward Cameron and said gruffly, "That's what I said, young man." Then under his breath he said, "These kids get dumber every year."

This was the last day to add or drop classes and as the bell started ringing, Cameron realized this gave him the perfect excuse to talk to Erin at school. He bolted out of the door and sprinted up to guidance. When he arrived at Erin's office, he took a deep breath, knocked, and stuck his head in. "Hey, Ms. Kimball. Do you have a minute?"

She looked up and said, "Oh, Cameron. Hi there. Um, sure. I don't normally see students without an appointment, but I can make an exception. Come in and have a seat, please."

He closed the door and sat down in front of her. "So what's going on?" she asked him.

"It's Mr. Craig. I gotta get out of that class," he told her as he put his schedule on her desk.

"Cameron, you have no idea how many other students ask me to do this every year. I just can't. It's not..."

"Yes...you can. And you will because it's for me." He smiled at her and she felt her stomach flip flop. Cameron then shared the most recent episodes with her and she tried not to laugh.

"I really do understand, Cameron. Trust me. I do. But I can't do this for you just because I think you're..." Erin stopped mid-sentence and shuffled some papers around on her desk and said, "Now where did I put that pen?" Both she and Cameron knew she wasn't looking for a pen or anything else for that matter.

"Erin?" he said forcing her to stop moving things around.

"Cameron, calling me by my first name is a privilege reserved for times when we're alone," she said trying to regain control.

"Erin, we are alone. And I didn't come here just because I want to switch classes. That was only an excuse. I do want you to move me, but that's not the main reason I stopped by." He stood up and moved to the side of the desk, just a foot or so away from her. "I do want you to sign my request to change classes, but you and I both know there's something going on between us."

Erin started lifting up papers again and said, "I have no idea what you're talking about, Cameron. There's nothing going on. I don't where this is coming from, but I can assure you it's all in your head. Now where is that pen?"

He sat on the edge of her desk and reached out and took her hand. "It won't do any good to pretend it isn't real, Erin. I see the way you look at me. At your house, at Homecoming, when we danced—and especially after I told you I'd been staring at you. And you can pretend it didn't happen or tell yourself it meant something else, but that won't make it go away."

He was gently running his thumb over the back of her small hand and no matter how hard she tried not to, she wasn't able to stop herself from tightening her hand around his.

"So, you're going to sign this for me and then I'm going to kiss you. After that, I'll leave."

Erin's hands began to tremble and she couldn't bring herself to look at this boy who was making her feel things she hated herself for feeling. "There's Shay and Adam to think about, too," she said quietly.

"Shay and I talked. So did my brother and I. They've discovered a similar connection and they'll be fine. I promise."

Erin knew where the pen she was 'searching' for was all along. She picked it up with her free hand and scribbled her name at the bottom. "It's signed. You can leave now," she said still without looking up.

"No, I can't," he said.

They were both running their fingers through the others' when she said, "Please don't. Not here. Please? If you really do care for me, then can we please not do this here...in my office at school?"

"I do care for you, Erin. You're all I've thought of since I first saw you. But I never break a promise. I said I was going to kiss you and I'm not leaving until I do."

"Cameron, please. I'm begging you. Don't..."

He leaned across the desk and put his head next to hers. "I know you want to kiss me, too."

She realized her willpower was gone. She was completely helpless and unable to fight it any longer. She slowly turned her head toward his and then her eyes were unable to avoid his. "Oh, my God," she whispered as he leaned in and kissed her softly full on the lips. As he went to pull away she couldn't allow it and pushed back letting him know she needed more. He kissed her for another two or three seconds before she somehow managed to will herself to break away. Afterward, she couldn't look at him. If she did, she wouldn't be able to stop him from doing anything he wanted to her. She looked away and hoped against hope he would leave.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,789 Followers