Second Chance, Book 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Brent looked at him in astonishment. "Are you kidding?"

"Nope, he says they are a team, and she can run customer service while he looks after production planning. He's not kidding, Brent."

"Well, I'll be damned," Brent said absently. He slumped back in his chair with a completely befuddled look on his face. "What do you suppose this means?"

"I'm not sure. We know they're close, but ... just how close?" he shrugged.

"Jesus! Wait until Bonnie hears this," he said, still with a shocked look.

"It looks to me like those two have been plotting this coup for some time," Charlie grinned. "Sam and Andy have been grilling me regularly about what the business needs and where it's going. I kind of expected something like this, but not a 'double dipper,'" he said, shaking his head.

"What are you going to do?" Brent was still trying to grasp the implications.

"Hire them, or course. They're bright, qualified and family. If my own daughters' families aren't interested in the business, then this is the next best thing. We'll just call it succession planning."

Brent sat back, shaking his head in disbelief. It was going to be an interesting conversation with Andrea this evening. He wondered idly if Bonnie would want to get involved.

"Bonnie, the strangest thing happened today," Brent began, as they sat on the porch while he prepared the barbeque.

She turned to him with a questioning look. "What was that?"

"Charlie said Sam had come to see him about a job when he graduated. He wants to set up a production planning department," he paused. "The thing is, Sam told Charlie that it was a 'package deal,' that Andy came with him and took over customer service." He watched Bonnie for her reaction. It was not what he expected.

"Yah ... so this is a surprise?" She was almost laughing at him.

"OK, so ... how come I didn't know about this?" he said with some measure of chagrin.

"Well, we girls have to have some secrets, you know," she said with an arched eyebrow.

Brent returned to his head-shaking mode from earlier in the afternoon. He was clearly out-to-lunch when it came to keeping up with his offspring.

"Don't be too upset, dear. She and Sam are very close, but I don't think marriage is in the cards just yet. I'm sure she'll tell you when the time comes. In the meantime, you can always ask her about her plans." Again with the sly smile and the arched eyebrow.

"Before I do that and screw up even worse, how about you and I talk about a couple of important things?" he said with some emphasis.

"Like what?"

"Like setting a wedding date, and like how we are going to live together ... and apart. Like when you are going to be at your new job. You know, those little details," he said facetiously.

"Oh ... that stuff," she smiled. She walked over to him, took the spatula from his hand, wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him deeply. "Why don't we put dinner off for a few minutes and talk about it now?" she suggested quietly.

Brent smiled and kissed her again. They sat together by the table and Brent told her of his meeting with Charlie that afternoon. Bonnie was nodding and was clearly in favor of the plan.

"It would give me a solid base, love. Something to hang on to when you aren't there. I think that's going to be important for the first little while," she said.

"Bonnie, I've been thinking. Dangerous, I know," he grinned, "but what if we got married in late August and then took our vacation together as our honeymoon? What do you think?"

"I think anything you want is what I want. I think it's a wonderful idea. Can we make all the arrangements by then?"

"We've got six weeks to try. If you're willing, I am too." Brent didn't hide the smile that Bonnie's agreement brought about. He sighed in relief. At last, a date and a commitment. It would be the last piece to fall in place in his second life.

-0-