Second Chances Pt. 03

Story Info
Can love blossom the second time around?
25.2k words
4.78
12.6k
18

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 02/19/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 15

Senior Sergeant Darby, or Benny to his friends, had the shits. It was preliminary finals weekend and he was stuck on road patrol. To top it off he had to pull a double later to cover for a sick coworker. So tonight he'd be dragging drunken idiots out of fights, getting puked on and generally having a great time. With his seniority he shouldn't be doing it but with internal affairs on his back he had to do everything he could to make himself seem indispensable.

Turning off the main highway he drove for a couple of kilometres up the old lake road. It was always quiet on this stretch especially with the footy on so he hoped to park under a shady tree and catch some sleep. Fuck the hierarchy and their three strikes policy he thought. Each one of the guys he hit had been a low life. There was that kid on speed that punched the paramedic. Busted the poor bastard's nose and he was only trying to help him. They couldn't prove that his baton strike had busted the kid's arm not that it slowed the prick down much. He'd had to slam his head into a tree to stop him.

Then there was that abo wife beater. They'd been called to a domestic and found a woman unconscious, in a pool of her own blood. That was in the kitchen. The scum bag husband, defacto or what ever the fuck he was, was sitting in the lounge room watching telly. I mean what the fuck! They'd asked what happened and he said she refused to get him another beer. The fact that he'd gone flying out the window was only him attempting to escape when they tried to arrest him. It was a second storey flat but he wasn't the smartest cookie. Both times it was his word against a fucking criminal but they always believed these rejects.

The first one. Well okay he'd cop to that one. Smacking that smug pedophile was one of the greatest thrills of his life. Sure he shouldn't have done it in the interview room but still, society should give him a medal. He could still see the prick sitting there not answering any questions. He'd just say "l was never alone with the boys" and "either arrest me or let me go."

He wasn't saying much at all after Benny busted his jaw. That's when the superintendent had stepped in. Suspended him on the spot. Still he made sure the fucker left town with nothing and with his tail between his legs.

Benny found his shady spot, set his radar, pulled the hat down over his eyes and went to sleep. Sometime later the radar beeped. It had just logged a cars speed. Benny pushed his hat back and checked but it was under the limit. With one eye still open he watched the road to see if he knew the car. It was an old dual cab ute pulling a new caravan. A kid waved at him from the front seat. It wasn't a local but he thought he knew the vehicle. He'd definitely seen it or one like it somewhere.

It hit him as the van disappeared around a corner in the distance. That fucking pedo cunt. He sat up quickly trying to collect his thoughts. Replaying the vision of the car passing in his mind. Was that kid waving or signalling for help. What did it matter he wasn't allowed to be alone with kids. He pressed the button and the V8 roared to life. He pulled his seatbelt on then reached for the radio.

"Lachlan command this is car AR 01. I'm out on the old lake road. Have you had any registered sex offenders log in with you today or yesterday?"

"Hold for a moment AR 01." The voice came back.

Benny pulled out onto the road. He wanted to do this right. He wasn't sure there was a four strikes policy.

"No AR 01. There have been no new sex offenders report in for the last week."

"Roger that Lachlan Command. I'm currently starting a pursuit of a suspect with a lone child. Please stay close so I can run the plates."

Benny planted his foot and the car shot down the road. In no time he'd caught up enough to read the plates of the van. He wished he had one of the new cars with the rego plate recognition camera.

"Lachlan command could you check for the owner of caravan. Registration plate Lima Oscar 88 Whiskey Foxtrot? That is LO 88 WF."

He waited for what seemed like an eternity until his radio crackled again.

"Registered owner Richard Douglas."

"Thanks that's what I thought. He's on the sex offender register. He's not allowed to be with kids unsupervised. I'm going to pull him over. Please stand by."

"Roger AR 01."

Benny flicked on the lights and sirens and pulled out to over take. The ute and caravan put one wheel off the bitumen and slowed to give him extra room expecting him to blast past but he swerved in front instead blocking their path. The ute locked up its brakes only just managing to pull up before hitting the police car.

Benny had his seat belt off in a flash. He launched himself out of the car and was quickly in position, standing to one side of Richard's ute. His pistol holster was unbuckled while his hand rested on the butt. On his chest his taser was also ready. He tried to be relaxed but inside he was jumping. He could see the child crying in the front seat. This could be his way to get back into the good books. Single handed rescue of a child from a known predator.

"Get out of the vehicle Richard and place your hands on the bonnet." He yelled.

Richard appeared to be trying to calm the child. In Benny's peripheral vision he noticed a car approaching along the road behind the van.

"Get out of the vehicle sir." He repeated firmly as his hand closed around the grip of his pistol.

Richard unclipped his seat belt and started opening the door. "Stay in the car," He instructed his crying passenger.

"Slowly! Keep your hands where I can see them."

Richard got out with his hands raised but made no attempt to put them on the car.

"Put your hands on the bonnet."

"Look you're making a mistake." Richard started moving his right hand down towards his chest.

"Stop moving."

"I've got something in my top pocket. It explains everything. If you let me get it out..."

"Shut up and put your hands on the bonnet." Benny's hand came off his gun and he unholstered his taser. "This is your final warning."

"Don't be silly..."

Richard hands continued inside his jacket so Benny pulled the trigger. The wires shot out and attached to Richard's chest where his jacket was open. His body jolted and he pitched face down onto the black top. The paper in his hand blew across onto the roadside. The girl in the car screamed.

A woman's voice came from back near the caravan. "What are you doing Sergeant?"

Benny kept his eyes firmly focused on his suspect who surprising was trying to rise.

"Stay away please until I have the situation under control!" He barked as he pulled the trigger again and Richard's body flopped down again.

Benny moved forward quickly and placed the handcuffs on Richard. As he was getting up Richard raised his head weakly. Benny couldn't resist. He pushed down sharply into road top.

"Fucking stay down Pedo."

The girl in the car was crying hysterically. Benny opened the door and reached across to unbuckle her belt.

"It's okay honey." He spoke quietly trying to calm her. "The bad man won't hurt you anymore."

She scrambled across the drivers seat towards the policeman. He got down on his haunches and held his arms wide expecting her to hug her saviour. Instead she brushed past him and flung herself on the man laying face down on the road.

"Daddy, daddy!" She cried as she tried to lift his bloody head.

About now Senior Sergeant Darby realised that the shit was going to hit the fan.

"You might want to read this." The same voice he'd heard earlier said.

He looked up and saw Marci Rodgers standing over him holding the piece of paper Richard Douglas had pulled from his pocket. He looked at it but his eyes couldn't focus. Then the police radio in his car chirped into action.

"Stand down AR 01. Richard Douglas is no longer a register sex offender.

Chapter 16

"That cut might need a stitch," the paramedic said after he'd cleaned up the blood.

Richard was sitting in the back of an ambulance. His daughter and Marci were standing at the open back doors. Three police cars were parked on the side of the road in front of the ute and caravan. Three officers stood in a close group. Richard recognised the tallest of them as the Superintendent from Airlie. He was tearing Senior Sergeant Darby a new one.

"Just use a couple of butterfly clips." Richard suggested. "I don't really want to go into town."

The paramedic wiped the blood seeping down Richard's forehead again and agreed. One of the police cars started up, did a u turn and Ben Darby headed back to town. The Superintendent walked over to join Marci and Richard's daughter at the ambulance.

"How are you feeling Mr Douglas?" It was a stupid question and he regretted asking it very quickly.

"Like I've been tasered and bashed." Was Richard's deadpan response.

"Er yes. Um, I'd just like to let you know that the officer in question has been suspended and given his recent history of transgressions I'm confident he will not be returning."

Richard didn't respond.

"And um, I was just wondering if you could come into the station this week. We'd need a formal statement from you about the incident. Here's my card, just give me a ring and I'll make some time to see you."

Richard left the guy holding his arm out for some time before he took it and placed it in his top pocket.

"Is there anything we can do now to help?" The Superintendent continued.

"No." Richard said and looked away.

The paramedic made a comment.

"Well I really don't think this guy should be driving. He's had a pretty solid blow to the head as well as being tasered."

"Ar, yes. Well we can take you anywhere you want to go."

"What about my ute?" Richard wasn't keen to leave anything unattended after his last visit to Airlie.

"Err we'll take it as well." The Superintendent added. "How much longer?" He clearly wanted to be somewhere else.

"Why don't you take his vehicles now Jim and I'll take these two home. It's not far past Peta's." Marci chimed in putting her arm around Richard's daughter's shoulders.

"Well if you don't mind Marci. I'd like to get back to town. It's footy finals and we were already short on staff before this happened."

"No problem Jim. Will I see you at the Bowling Club Trivia night next week?"

"I wouldn't miss it Marci." The Superintendent said before walking away.

Richard was unsure about Marci's motives but his opinion of the boys in blue hadn't improved so he was happy for them to be leaving.

"Marci, you'd better get the booster seat from the ute." Richard said.

"She's a bit old for a booster seat isn't she?"

"Law says it's got nothing to do with age it's their height and I'm not taking any chances on my ex dropping me in any more shit."

"Okay. Come on Julia, let's go."

Marci took his daughters hand and they trotted off together. Somehow she'd wrangled his daughters name out of her. Julia had always been a shy child then when the shit had hit the fan with his ex-wife's accusations she'd withdrawn further. He'd got the blame at first however the child psychologist evidence at his appeal had said the twisting of her words had made her blame herself for the bitter custody battle.

"Okay that's your forehead done. Now let's have a look at your chin." The paramedic said as he lifted and tilted Richard's head to get a better look.

Twenty minutes later he was patched up and climbing out of the ambulance. Marci and Julia were no where to be seen at first. Then he heard his daughter's high pitched laugh and he turned to look. There was quite a wide expanse of grassland off the road. It was probably a travelling stock route used in times gone by to graze cattle and sheep during droughts. There was a small dam and Marci and Julia were standing on the bank. As Richard got closer he could see Julia picking up little stones and lobbing them into the water.

"What are you up to little miss?" Richard asked.

"We're scaring the turtles." Julia announced.

"Look there's another one." Marci said pointing to the far side where a small long necked turtle had just poked the tip of his snout out of the water.

Julia threw another pebble. It landed harmlessly some distance away but the disturbance of the water surface caused the turtle to dive bringing another laugh from Richard's daughter.

"We best be going I think." Richard said ruffling his daughter hair.

"Ohhh daaadddd. Can't we stay a bit longer?" Julia whined.

"No. We've got to get set up before it gets dark."

Once Richard had strapped Julia in the back seat he got in the passenger side. Marci set off just as the police car came back after dropping off the ute and caravan. Marci waved to the Superintendent as he got out of the patrol car to retrieve his own. Richard looked back to make sure Julia had her iPod earbuds in before he spoke.

"Thanks for looking after Julia. It would have been really traumatic for her without you."

"Probably still was. Not everyday you see your father get tasered, monstered and handcuffed." Marci said with a smile on her face.

"I thought you might have joined in the way things were when I left." Richard said. He tried to make it sound light and flippant but there was no hiding some bitterness.

Marci picked up the tension and waited a moment before replying.

"I may not have been completely with it on the ride into hospital with you that night but I got the gist. You were wronged and now from what I read you've made it right." Richard made no attempt to say anything so Marci continued. "Also the doctor told me later that your quick thinking and actions saved me from a minimum of permanent disability. Maybe even my life so I think I owe you the benefit of the doubt."

"Yeah, the benefit of the doubt..."Richard's voice trailed off.

He turned his head to look out the window so Marci couldn't see his face. He'd heard that phrase a lot since the appeal hearing. His defence counsel had said he should get the benefit of the doubt. The judge said 'in the balance of probabilities' he hadn't done anything. Unfortunately for many the fact he'd previously been convicted as a sex offender meant there was no going back.

Coming out of the court room he'd felt a great wait lifted off his shoulders. Within twenty four hours he realised life could never be the same for him in his home town. People he'd previously called friends still avoided him. If he did happen to bump into them they'd couldn't make eye contact. Even after the local paper made a big splash about his conviction being overturned and his ex-wife's new partner being charged it didn't change.

While his mind was in turmoil Richard's eyes scanned the paddocks. He recognised they were going past the Watter's farm now. A self propelled mower was cutting some oats for hay. He could see the emblem stuck of the side of the engine cover. Tony Smith Contracting, followed by his mobile phone number.

"Peta's got Tony back on the farm?"

"Yes," Marci replied without enthusiasm. "She signed a lease agreement."

"I thought that was what you wanted?"

"So did I. It's different from the other one but..." Marci stopped short and didn't finish the sentence.

Richard had planned on staying as far away from Peta as he could. The time he'd spent with Peta was as close to a serious personal relationship he'd had to since his divorce. The way it fell apart made him not want to revisit it. He still thought about her, more than he'd ever like to admit. They were getting close to his front gate before he screwed up the courage to ask.

"How is Peta?" Once again he tried to sound neutral.

"She's okay. She's drinking too much. She's hanging around with some less than desirable types but she's okay." Marci made no effort to disguise the concern she felt.

"She is a grown woman. She can make her own choices." Richard argued remembering Marci wasn't that fond of him when he was working there.

"Yes she is. You should know she reminds me of that constantly. It's Angus and Murray I worry about." Marci pulled in to his driveway and continued up to the house.

Richard's ute and van were parked in front of the house. Marci parked behind them and turned to the girl in the back seat.

"It was very nice to meet you Julia. I hope to see you again before you leave."

Julia mumbled a reply as she scrambled to get out the back door.

"Julia," Richard called, "you should thank Marci."

It was too late. The little girl was running around the caravan and climbing into the back of the ute to get a half grown kelpie pup.

"Sorry about that," Richard started but Marci waved his apology away. "Thanks again for the lift."

Richard got out of the car, retrieved the booster seat and as he closed the door to give a wave and a friendly smile.

"You should come over. The boys would love to meet Julia."

Richard felt his friendly smile slip.

"I... we both know that isn't a good idea."

Marci looked down at the steering wheel then back at Richard.

"Yes, I suppose not." She started the car and put it into reverse. Before she took the hand brake off she asked Richard a question. "What are you going to do? Are you keeping the house?"

"No. I'm just here to see what needs to be done to make it saleable then it goes on the market."

"Is Airlie that bad?"

Richard rubbed his chest where the wires had attached.

"The bad memories out weigh the good." Richard said taking the diplomatic route.

Once Marci was back on the road Richard went searching for Julia. The sound of the yapping pup led him out the back. Julia was looking at the charred remains of his old caravan. There wasn't much left. The main steel frame, the two tyre rims with remnants of the burnt rubber still clinging to them. The two poles that had supported the awning still stood twisted and deformed at crazy angles by the heat.

"Was there an accident daddy?"

"Yeah honey. There was an accident." Turning the little girl around he pointed her towards the back door. "Come on, I'll show you where your room is and we will set up your bed for the night."

Marci looked at the time on the clock display in the car. She was three hours late. Peta would be furious. Marci was supposed to home to look after the boys while Peta went to a footy party at Lucy Harris's place. Lucy "Loose" Harris was one of the undesirables Marci felt Peta should be avoiding. She was a couple of years older than Peta, twice married, four children with three different fathers. A pretty girl who turned heads but couldn't keep her pants on.

Marci parked in the garage and started walking towards the house. She could see Peta sitting on the back verandah. A tall glass of a black liquid in her hand. She'd graduated from wine and beer to pre-mixed rum and coke cans some time ago. Now she mixed her own. Avoiding eye contact Marci opened the back gate as she sorted out an apology in her head.

"Sorry I..." Marci started but Peta cut her off.

"Where the fuck have you been? You were supposed to be home hours ago. I tried to ring you but you didn't take your phone." Peta held up a mobile phone. "There's been police cars driving past the front gate. For all I knew you could have been laying half dead in a ditch somewhere!"

Marci felt Peta anger was more about missing the party rather than any concern for her welfare. The glow of Peta cheeks and the slight slurring of her words told her it wasn't her first drink so it was best not to get into a confrontation.

"There was an incident about half way from town. Benny Darby pulled over Richard Douglas, tasered him and smashed his face."

"Did they give him a medal?" Peta's anger disappeared momentarily as she laughed at her joke.

"No. He has most likely lost his job. Richard conviction was overturned, he's an innocent man."