Shadows of Desire Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"How long?" Caffrey asked, his voice cracked with dread. Before Greagor could answer, they both turned to the gate as the sounds of the wolves speeding towards them became deafening. Bestial howls rumbled like thunder, the ground shook and a loud crash could be heard as the first wolf reached the gate. They were out of time. Soon the gate would give way and they would be under siege. Both the guards as well as the Knights braced themselves for a deadly clash of supernaturals once the Lycans managed to break through and invade the city.

2. NOW COMES THE BLOOD

Time seemed to stop. Everything was frozen. Everything and everyone. All but Rowan that was. He couldn't understand what he was seeing. Moments earlier, the two groups of men who had once been enemies stood together against an even greater threat. The Guards on the tower had started shrieking in terror. Their arrows cutting through the darkened sky at the invading force that had rushed the gate from seemingly nowhere.

All at once, a mass of fur and claws and gnashing teeth had broken out from within the cover or the forest. Howling rage filled the night air. The sound of their clawed feet upon the earth was reminiscent of a stampede as they charged the wall. The gate had begin to bow from the weight and splinter as they attempted to claw their way through. Others attempted to scale the wall itself.

Before Rowan even knew what was happening, the gate split apart and a wave of Lycans spilled into the gate yard. They looked crazed, like a horde of hell hounds, charging forward. Rowan caught sight of the biggest in the group, their alpha, as he pushed his way through, clawing and biting at his own pack, flinging them out of the way as he scanned the yard. His eyes fixed on Rowan. Rowan stared back at him. It was in that moment that Rowan realized something was terribly wrong.

The Lycans were unpredictable when held under the sway of the full moon but this frenzied attack was bizarre, even for them. The alpha glared at Rowan with dark, red eyes. Eyes that looked more demon than wolf. The Lycan alpha had been bewitched. Rowan was certain of it. The entire pack had been bewitched. There was no other explanation for their actions. That left only one question. Who had orchestrated the attack? The only one Rowan knew of who possessed such powerful dark magic was Agren, the Raven mocker. The evil witch who resided deep within the Matatowan mountains.

Rowan doubted that Agren would come down from the mountains on her own accord and attack Basmorte. She had no reason to. Not unless she were working for another. Agren did nothing without compensation though. Someone had struck a deal with the old witch and Rowan had a good idea of who that someone was. His blood boiled with rage. Would Caroline never stop? Now more than ever he was determined to end her but, the attack by the Lycans had thrown his plans into chaos.

The guards on the wall continued to shoot a volley of arrows at the Lycan horde in an attempt to slow them down but the wolves moved as if in a trance. The pain of the arrows did nothing to halt their progression. Even the alpha, his back and haunches riddled with arrows was not stopping. His gaze fixed on Rowan, his face twisted into a frightening visage of rage and madness. Rowan knew they could not fight these beasts. He and his companions would surely be torn apart and yet, Caffrey, Greagor, and the men under their command wasted no time in defending their city.

With swords drawn, the men banded together to fight a common threat and charged bravely into battle. The sound of metal striking bone and claw rang out, cutting through the once silent air. Snarls, growls, and howls of pain shook the calm of the night. Rowan watched, terrified as wolf and Vampire fought. Each viciously tearing at the other, cutting through flesh, and breaking bones. Blood sprayed as one large, black wolf, leapt onto the back of Victor--another of Caffrey's lieutenants--and tore his throat out. Liam rushed to the aide of his fallen comrade and in a blinding rage, swung his sword high, severing the wolfs head from it's body.

At the point of death, the wolf changed back into human and the headless body of a man lay in the bloodied yard, naked, exposed, and dead. His pack mates didn't seem to notice the dead as they continued with their assault. They seemed to have one purpose in mind and one only. Kill everything in sight. Aidan clung to Rowan's side, urging him to run and hide. Flee, back into the underground tunnels beneath the city and save himself. Aidan pulled at Rowan's arm but Rowan pushed the boy back. "Go." Rowan commanded. "Hide. And don't come out until it's over."

Aidan stared at Rowan in shock and anger. He couldn't just abandon his Prince to the slaughter that was happening all around them but, Rowan had ordered him to go. Aidan wasn't an omega like Rowan, but he might as well have been. His small stature and feminine appearance suited him for work in the Palace as a man servant or valet, not a soldier. Rowan suspected that joining the order of Knights had not been Aidan's choice but perhaps the decision of an overbearing parent who wanted to toughen the boy up some. Rowan made a mental note to speak to Aidan about his career choices when and if they made it out of this alive.

Once again, he ordered Aidan to hide but, Rowan refused to leave his men. Not knowing what else to do, Aidan obeyed and ran off, back towards the guard house. By now more guards began filling the yard as well as the Knights who had, on Caffrey's orders, stayed hidden just out of sight of Rowan and his group. As more Lycans broke through the gate it was obvious that the Vampires, no matter how diligently they fought, were overwhelmed. Still, in an act of remarkable valor, they fought on, determined to protect their home and their Prince, until their last dying moment.

Rowan couldn't stand by and watch this devastation any longer. It was an absolute bloodbath. But, what could he do? Without the Elven army joining the fray they had no hope and there was no way that Rowan, even if could get past the wolves, was going to leave his men here to die. In a moment of desperation and hope, Rowan, feeling the weight of impending doom, invoked the power of his heritage. With whispered prayers, he made an earnest plea to the Goddess Morrigu, seeking her aide in this, his most darkest hour.

Standing in the center of the chaos, Rowan watched as the world around him began to move in slow motion and then come to a grinding halt. Frozen in place, Vampires stood with their swords raised, claws and fangs glistened in the hue of the moon, dripping with blood. The wolves, stood stone like, gaping jaws frozen open in mid howl. Not even the wind moved. Everything had just stopped.

"You're not dead." The voice came from behind him and Rowan turned to see the owner of the voice standing a few feet away from him. "That is what you were thinking, is it not?" The owner of the voice, a woman whose radiance surpassed anything in the mortal realm, slowly walked towards him. Her bare feet moved so elegantly and with such grace that she almost appeared to be floating. Long tresses of raven curls flowed over her shoulders and down her back, melting into the darkness like a shadow. Her green, cat like eyes, shone brighter than even the moon. She smiled at Rowan and with a gasp, the omega Prince quickly took a knee, bowing before her.

"Lady Morrigu." He said, not daring to raise his head or lift his gaze from the spot on the ground where he'd fixed it. She was as beautiful as he remembered from his vision in the forest near the Shee village. An impeccable vision of divinity. Just being in her presence was both humbling and a bit frightening. The power that radiated off her was so imposing that anyone else would have been overwhelmed by it but, Rowan felt her power surround him, embracing him like a warm blanket. He felt safe in her presence, much as he had in the vision only, her power now was a hundred times more potent.

He realized in that moment that he wasn't seeing her essence or even a thought-form. She was there, physically standing before him. Morrigu stopped and looked down. Her lips formed a soft smile as she took in the sight before her. Love and compassion rolled off her in waves. "Stand, my child." She told Rowan. Her words rang out like an ethereal harmony, more angelic and otherworldly than anything Rowan had ever heard in his life. "You have no reason to fear me. I've come to your aide, as you've asked."

Slowly, Rowan raised his head and looked at her. "Thank you, My Lady." He said as he pushed himself to his feet. He glanced around the yard to the now frozen men. Worry and concern marred his perfect features and he looked to the Goddess with a questioning gaze.

"They continue to battle." Morrigu told him. "Time seems to have stopped for you and I because we are in a place between time and space. We are both here and not. I know it is hard for you to understand but, this is how we--the Tuatha--move through your world. We're able to see all but unseen by all."

"So, the fighting hasn't ceased. We're just watching it happen slower?"

Morrigu nodded. "I can intervene." Morrigu told him when she saw the troubled look on his face. "If that is what you wish."

"It is." Rowan told her. His eyes lit up and his features softened some as his expression changed from worry to hope. "I want no more blood spilled in my name. My people have suffered long enough."

Morrigu tilted her head to the side as she studied Rowan, thoughtfully. "You are so young to be carrying such a heavy burden."

"Perhaps." Rowan looked around once more, his eyes scanning the devastation around him. "But, is it not my burden to carry? I am their Prince after all. Who else would protect them, if not me?"

"Another would take your place, eventually. For these creatures, time is fleeting. I have watched countless rulers rise and fall. Their reign, I'm afraid, is as inconstant as the ever changing moon. We thought once that we could guide them. We tried to show them a new way to survive without the constant threat of war. We wanted to live in harmony with them but their kind thrive on chaos and discord. In time, we gave up, and left them to their own devices."

Rowan frowned. "So, you think I should do nothing? Let them carry on as they are? Let them die? I can not do that."

Morrigu touched Rowan's shoulder once she saw the distressed look on his face. "For me, the lives of these creatures is as inconsequential as a fly. The time they spend here is but a passing moment to one who is eternal. But, it is not so for you. You care for them. Their deaths would cause you pain. So, for you, my child, I will intervene one last time. Tell me what it is you want. Whatever it is you want. I will grant your request, but only once."

Rowan looked over the men, frozen in battle, and he thought about what it was that he really wanted. He wanted the fighting to stop, obviously, and he wanted the vampires as well as the wolves to be safe. That was his immediate concern but, there was also so much more that he wanted yet he only had this one favor, nothing more. He wondered, if he asked for Caroline's head, would Morrigu deliver it? Probably. She was the Goddess of death. Men would pray to her before battle, asking her to bless them and offer a swift end to their enemies. She was also known to foretell the destruction or demise of both warriors and Kings alike. She was thought to be the guardian of the souls of the departed, and mother of the fates.

Some refer to her as the Goddess of war or fury. She could appear before men as a beautiful woman, a fierce wolf, or a raven. It was in honor of her that Rowan's own family crest was that of a raven. All these things were meant to strike fear into the hearts of her enemies and ensure obedience from her followers but, there was also a softer, more loving side to her that many seemed to overlook. Despite being known as the Goddess of death, Morrigu was also a deity of life. Carrying a soul from one life to the next she ensured the rebirth of that soul. At least, these were the teachings that Rowan had grown up with.

Morrigu was a fierce, warrior Goddess but, she wasn't wicked, petty, or cruel. Rowan could see that now. He could see the love and compassion in her eyes. Maybe not love or compassion for the Vampires and Lycans fighting each other that night but, she had love for Rowan, the only son of her daughter, Ellarian. It was his prayer that had called to her and it was his prayer that she had come to answer. This was a situation that Rowan never thought he'd be in. The Chance to ask for something-- anything he wanted--and have it granted. There were so many things going through his mind in that moment but he knew that he could not be selfish. He had to use this gift wisely.

Turning his attention back to Morrigu he asked, in a timid voice, "Can you bring back the dead?"

Morrigu looked back at him, a sad expression on her face as she shook her head. "Unfortunately, that kind of magic is beyond my power. Once a soul has passed into the next life it can not be returned to it's body. What would be brought back would be an empty shell devoid of emotions and rational thought. It would be a monster."

Rowan nodded. He understood what she meant. Even if she could bring a soul back, would it nessasarily be a good thing? Who would want to be ripped from paradise and thrust back into a broken form where they could once more feel pain and regret? And suppose that soul had already been born again. Would it be right to end one life to bring back another that had passed on long ago? Rowan knew the answer to those questions. No. It would not be right. It would not be fair. He knew then what he had to do and he was ready.

Taking a deep breath, he looked to Morrigu with the certainty and fortitude expected of a Prince, and gave her his request. "I want this battle to end." He told her. "I want the Lycans free of whatever bewitchment they are under and I want them returned to the forest. I want no further harm to come to either group. This fighting has gone on long enough. What I want now is to bring peace back to my people."

"If that is what you desire."

"It is." Rowan spoke from the heart. He spoke with conviction.

"So be it." Morrigu clasp her hands together and, with a rumbling shock of lightning that struck the ground with enough force to cause a crater the size of a full grown man, the two groups were simultaneously thrown back and away from each other. A bright, white, light filled the area, briefly turning night into day. Rowan put his arm across his eyes to shield himself from the brilliant glare of the light. The sheer force behind the blast pushed him to his knees and he fought with every ounce of strength he had left not to fall over unconscious.

Moments later the blinding light was gone, allowing Rowan to remove his arm and look around. Morrigu was gone, but so were the two fighting groups. Rowan stood and took a moment to gather himself and then take note of his surroundings. The wall was gone. The gate, no longer there. The gate house as well as the guard house, all gone. Rowan was no longer standing in the yard outside the main gate of Basmorte.

He was standing in a field of tall grass and yellow flowers that spanned out around him like a golden sea. It was no longer night but the sun above did not hurt. In fact, it felt good. Warm and fresh and so inviting. It was as though the sun above him had melted away all his worries and fears as it melts the snow in winter. Rowan wasn't sure where he was or how he had gotten there but, one thing was certain. Where ever he was, he never wanted to leave.

3. GIVE SORROW WORDS

Greagor wasn't sure how long he and the others were out though he suspected it must have been hours as the unforgiving sun over Basmorte was beginning to rise. He managed to push himself to his feet but with great effort. His head was aching as though it had been split apart and a for a few moments after opening his eyes he had trouble seeing. The bright flash of light, whatever it was, had rendered not only Greagor, but everyone else within the gate yard incapacitated. It took him a moment to get his bearings but, once he did, panic gripped him tight.

If he were awake now then perhaps the Lycans were coming to as well. This could be bad. None of his men were in any condition to stave off another attack. Greagor searched frantically for any sign that the Lycans were regrouping but, to his amazement, they were gone. Save for the few dead that had been left behind, there was not a single wolf in the yard. They had just...vanished. All around, Vampires were waking from their forced slumber, confused and disoriented but, not a single wolf was among them. Greagor let out a sigh of relief. They were safe, for now. That was something at least to be grateful for.

Caffrey was the next to regain his senses. He and a couple of his Knights made their way to Greagor. "What happened?" Caffrey asked, rubbing his head. Greagor assumed the man had woken the same as him, with a blinding headache and no clue as to what had just transpired. From what he could remember, they were in mid battle with the Lycans, both sides had suffered losses but the wolves were relentless in their attack. The Vampires were out numbered. As soon as they cut down one wolf, five more would appear. It was a slaughter and, the Vampires were on the losing end of it. Just when Greagor thought they were done for, there was a blinding flash of light and then...nothing.

Greagor remembered being catapulted through the air and landing on his back with a loud crunch. He wasn't sure if it were his bones he heard cracking or if he'd landed on a large tree branch. Pain shot through his body and shortly after he'd lost consciousness. Whatever injuries he'd suffered, he was unconscious long enough to heal. All but his throbbing head but that, he suspected, was due to the flash of light that had sent them all flying. Greagor smirked. He'd heard tales of Vampires of old who had the ability to fly though he was certain it was nothing like what he'd just experienced.

"I'll admit." Greagor told the Knight Commander. "I am at a loss to explain any of this."

Caffrey scanned the gate yard then looked back to Greagor. "The Lycans?" He asked him.

Greagor could only shrug. "Gone when I woke up."

"Hm." Caffrey drummed his fingers against the hilt of his sword with nervous curiosity as he considered the position they were all in. The sun was rising. The Lycans would be returning to their human state. Perhaps in the chaos they had fled knowing that they would be out matched as men. Still, Caffrey wasn't positive that the danger was gone. "Gather the guard." He instructed. "Search the grounds, inside the wall and out. Have the archers ready for another attack, just in case. I don't want us taken by surprise again."

"Yes Sir." Greagor turned to do as he was instructed but stopped. Looking back at Caffrey he asked, "Have you seen Prince Rowan?"

Caffrey narrowed his eyes. "I would have thought he'd gone into hiding when the wolves attacked."

Greagor shook his head. "No." He told the Knight. "He was near the gate house the last I saw him. Aidan was with him but..." He glanced around the yard. A look of worry had settled on his face. "I don't see either of them." He admitted.

"Have the guard house searched." Caffrey ordered. "I suspect both will be found there."

Greagor nodded. "It will be done." He announced before turning and heading off towards the guard house.

As Greagor headed off, Caffrey stood where he was and took another, quick, look around the yard. Something seemed off about the entire thing. It seemed only moments ago they had been in mid battle though it was obvious that much time had passed. The Lycans were gone yet there was no indication that they had gone into the city. Then there was the business of that flash of light. What was it? Who sent it? And how was it that every man in the gate yard had been rendered unconscious? Was the event limited to the gate yard or had it affected all of Basmorte?