Shadows of Desire Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Caffrey stiffened. "Liam!" He called out to his lieutenant. A moment later Liam, injured but alive, came limping towards the Commander. Caffrey was relieved to see that the man still lived. He'd yet to take count of the dead and severely injured. That would have to wait.

"Yes, Commander." Liam stood at attention. His face was pale, his left arm hung loosely at his side and was dripping blood but, other than that he seemed fine. His injuries would heal in time.

"Take a small company and ride through the city. I want to know if anyone else has been affected by the strange events that have taken place. Arrange to have the injured taken the to chapel and assign two or three men to gather the dead. We'll build a pyre in the court yard."

Liam nodded, gave a quick bow, then headed off to carry out his orders. Liam was a good man and a good soldier. Caffrey had lost many good men this night. Too many. He looked around again, taking in the devastation around him. It made his blood boil seeing the dead men, his men, scattered around the yard, many of them in pieces. He clenched his fist and scowled. Whoever was responsible for this was going to pay. He'd make certain of that.

***

Thaden awoke with a start. He rubbed his eyes and looked around the clearing where he and Tomag had slept the night. Tomag was already awake. He'd poured water on the fire he'd built and was now packing up their supplies in anticipation of their departure. As the fog of sleep lifted and Thaden's mind cleared he was able to recall the events of the following night. He was so exhausted that he just couldn't continue on. He'd actually fallen asleep on his horse. Tomag must have realized this and instead of waking Thaden, had stopped them both to rest for the night.

Thaden looked up to the morning sun stretching across the sky. A sight that ordinarily would have filled him with warmth and exhilaration at the promise of a new day. This morning however, the sun did not have the same effect. Thaden looked to the sun now with a sense of dread. It marked the beginning of a new day but, also the possible end to Rowan's life. It was with that realization that Thaden was struck with anger as well as a sense of betrayal. Why had Tomag allowed him to sleep the entire night? If they had kept going or even stopped for an hour, they would have reached Basmorte by now. He prayed that he wasn't too late to save Rowan.

Thaden was on his feet in an instant and began to gather up his bed roll with furious speed. Tomag approached and attempted to help Thaden tie up his saddle bag but Thaden slapped his hands away. His anger boiled over and he turned to the man, glaring, and snapped. "Why did you not wake me?" He all but shouted at the man. "Why let me sleep the entire night?"

"You were exhausted." Tomag explained, not raising his voice at all. It was as if he'd expected this reaction from Thaden. "You nearly fell off your horse. There was no way that you could have gone on like that."

"I could have." Thaden argued, narrowing his eyes as he stared Tomag down. "I would have. For Rowan's sake, I would have done anything."

Tomag sighed as he pinched the bridge of his nose. "Thaden, you were barely functioning. I know that you're worried about Rowan but, you would have done him little good last night. You're pushing yourself too hard."

"I don't have a choice." Thaden argued. "Rowan's life is on the line."

"And what about yours?" Tomag asked, showing hints of anger for the first time. "Does your life mean so little? Since we've left, I've heard nothing but how worried you are about Rowan, how his life is in danger, how you need to save him. But, what about you? Who's going to save you?"

Thaden stared back at Tomag, dumbfounded. Never once had he thought about someone needing to save him. His entire focus had been on finding Rowan and keeping him safe. "I don't have the luxury of worrying about myself."

Tomag rolled his eyes. "Thaden, a warrior doesn't stay alive just because he is brave, or strong, or even because he is a skilled fighter. Yes, those things are important, and you have all those traits in spades but you're forgetting about the most important weapon that any good soldier has in his arsenal."

Thaden raised an eyebrow, the curiosity evident on his face. "And, what is that?" He asked.

"Your brain." Tomag sighed. "None of those other things matter if you don't learn to use your brain. The bravest man can run into battle, sword raised high, ready to fight and slash his way through a barrage of his enemies but, what good does all that courage do him if he has no strategy?"

"Now isn't the time to..."

Tomag put up a hand to stop Thaden. He narrowed his eyes and took a step closer, locking eyes with Thaden to make his point. "Now is the perfect time make a plan. Charging in head first with no plan, driven purely by your emotions, will not save Rowan. It will only get you killed. And what then? What will happen to Rowan then? How will he feel knowing that you lost your life trying to save him?"

Thaden turned away as Tomag's words hung in the air between them. He knew he was right. Thaden wasn't acting rationally. He had been trained better and he knew it. Thaden's shoulders drooped and he let out a frustrated breath. "I suppose I wasn't thinking of all that." He admitted.

"No." Tomag placed a hand on Thaden's shoulder. "You were thinking like a husband. As much as I admire the love you have for Rowan, that will not serve you well in this situation. You must, for now, put aside your personal feelings and start thinking like a soldier."

"I want to. I really do. But every time I attempt to think rationally, my mind keeps going to thoughts of Rowan. I worry what has become of him, what the Queen has done to him, if he even still lives. All these thoughts keep circling around in my head and I can't put them out. I am so scared of losing him that I can think of nothing else."

Tomag frowned, shaking his head. "You do not give your husband enough credit, my friend. I haven't known either of you that long but based on what I've heard and seen of Rowan, he is a very capable young man who has already overcome so much in his life."

"He's just an omega." Thaden looked up at Tomag and Tomag could see the fear and uncertainty in Thaden's eyes. While he understood Thaden's fears and knew that it came from a place of love, it also troubled him that Thaden thought so little of Rowan.

"That's where you're wrong." Tomag said. He'd finished tying down his own bag then mounted his horse with the speed and agility that would match any vampire. "He is not just an omega." Tomag corrected. "Omega's are some of the most resilient, courageous, and selfless people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting yet, so many take them for granted. They are thought of as weak and incapable of taking care of themselves but those who think that couldn't be more wrong. An Omega, male or female, are fiercely protective of those they love, especially their children, and they will fight, tooth and nail, anyone who threatens them. In all honesty, I worry more for the Vampire Queen than I do Rowan. If she's as bad as she sounds, He'll probably rip her to shreds!"

Thaden stared at Tomag in shock. He hadn't really ever thought about all that Rowan had done to get to where he was, or how hard he must have fought just to escape his father. He had already suffered so much at the hands of his own father yet the abuse never broke him. If anything, it made him stronger and more determined to carve out a better life for himself in the world. Despite having no training, very little education, and being secluded in the castle for most of his life, he braved an unknown world rather than giving up and accepting his lot in life. Tomag was right in everything he'd said. Rowan was resilient. He was brave, maybe one of the bravest men that Thaden had ever known. He felt ashamed that it took Tomag to point these things out to him. He truly had underestimated his mate.

Tomag gave Thaden a knowing smirk then handed the reins to Thaden's horse over to him. "Let's get moving." He told the Prince. "The sun is nearly up. The Vampire's will be returning to their beds soon. They'll have a skeleton crew of a guard on duty. Now is the perfect time to sneak into the city."

Thaden nodded and mounted Shadow dancer, taking the reins from Tomag. "What's the plan once we make it past the city walls?"

"The Queen will more than likely have Rowan held in the dungeons. I know a way in. We'll have to get past a couple of guards but that shouldn't be too hard. Vampires are arrogant and unpracticed. They don't believe that anyone would or could invade so they have very lax security measures in place. Plus, the dungeon guards on duty tend to sleep at their posts anyway. We might be able to simply sneak past them."

"And, how is it that you know all this?" Thaden asked, raising an eyebrow suspiciously.

Again, Tomag smirked and Thaden could see the look of amusement in the other man's eyes. "I'm a Shee." He said, shrugging. "Are we not known as mischievous little imps? I pride myself in my stealth and skills at thievery and, Vampire's produce such an amazing blood ale."

"You steal their ale?" Thaden looked at Tomag in shock.

Tomag gave him a sly wink. "Why do you think we Shee party so much?"

***

The ride to Basmorte seemed to take even longer though, Thaden knew they were close. More and more his mind conjured up images of Rowan locked in the dungeon, beaten, bruised, and starved for blood. He tried his best to be strong and remember what Tomag had told him. Rowan was a capable man, underestimated and often overlooked. That could very well benefit him in the long run. If no one expected anything from him they were unlikely to fear him which could be a fatal mistake for Caroline and her guards.

The part of Thaden that had been trained as a soldier could see this as a strategical advantage but, the side of him that was a husband was still worried about Rowan and wanted more than anything to just hold the man in his arms and comfort him, protect him, and shield him from the horrors of the world.

Remember what Tomag told you. He scolded himself. Omega's are resilient, and stronger than we know. Rowan is fine. He has to be. The Goddess would not bring us together just to rip us apart.

He'd almost had himself convinced...almost. As Basmorte came into view Thaden's heart sank. What greeted him was not a well fortified city wall with guards on patrol or a massive gate of strong oak thicker than a man and ten times as tall. What greeted him was a scene of utter destruction. His heart pounded and his breath caught as they neared the shattered gate and broken wall. Their horses skidded to a halt and Thaden gasped at what he saw. The ground was torn as though a battle had taken place just inside the wall. Scattered debris littered the ground and frenzied workers were hustling to repair the wreckage left behind by whatever recent fight had taken place.

"Dear Gods." Thaden whispered as he took into the terrible scene. "What happened here?"

A grim expression fell upon Tomag's normally serene features. "It would appear as though some battle happened here. You see that?" Tomag pointed to a large piece of splintered wood, probably from the gate. The entire thing was covered in deep slashes and claw marks as well as blood and fur.

Thaden frowned when he looked to what Tomag had pointed out. "Lycans." He growled between clenched teeth.

Tomag nodded. "It seems as though they've broken through the main gate and attacked. By the look of things, their numbers were great. The Vampire's wouldn't have stood a chance against an onslaught like that. The Lycan by far out number the Vampires."

"It makes no sense though." Thaden narrowed his eyes as he looked around the ruined gate yard. "Why would they attack? Especially during a full moon?"

"I can't say." Tomag told him, sighing in frustration. "But, you are correct. It makes no sense. The Lycans wouldn't attack unless they felt the Vampires were a threat to them. I know there is bad blood between them but things have been peaceful for years. I seriously doubt the wolves would deliberately start a war. Not without good cause."

Before Thaden could voice his opinion on the matter further, several guards had emerged from the wreckage and debris and surrounded both men. The Vampire guards glared at the two intruders, their expressions hardened by the recent conflict. Many of them look rough, worn out, and some were still soaked in blood. Thaden's hand instinctively reached for his sword, but Tomag's firm grip on his arm stopped him from drawing it.

"Stay calm, my Prince." Tomag urged, eyeing the guards cautiously. "This isn't a fight we would easily win."

Thaden nodded as he withdrew his hand then held both hands up as a show of peace. "We aren't here to fight." He told the guards that surrounded them. "I'm looking for Prince Rowan."

"What is your business with him?" Thaden turned his head in the direction of the Vampire speaking to him. A tall figure clad in regal armor with a raven crest on his breast plate stepped forward. The man was older, with greying hair, but still had the appearance of a man in his prime. The cold eyes and hard stare though told another story. He was both gifted with the knowledge and experience of a long life and hardened from years of service under King Desmond.

Thaden narrowed his eyes as the man addressed him. He knew this man. As soon as he had stepped out from behind the group of guards Thaden had recognized him. He was the Captain of the guard, Greagor. Thaden remembered his name and his face all to well. He was among the soldiers who had invaded the Shee village. He had even questioned Thaden. He was also the man who had taken Rowan captive and brought him back to Basmorte. Back to Caroline.

Greagor approached with measured steps. He stopped before Thaden and looked him over. At first, his expression was worn and unreadable. The man looked ragged. He was obviously overtaxed and yet, he pushed himself on. Determination driving him to do what needed to be done even though he looked as if ready to collapse at any moment. It wasn't long though before he recognized the man before him and when he did, his eyes went wide.

Thaden wasn't dressed as he had been in the Shee village and, at the time, Greagor had no idea that he was speaking to a Prince. However, Thaden had changed back into the clothing he had left Rosegate in. The blues and silvers of his native land stood out among the crimsons and blacks that surrounded him. The Elven crest stitched into the breast of his shirt, outlined in gold, was the crest of the of the Elven royal family. Greagor knew in an instant that this was the same Elven man he had questioned in Pickaway village. He had momentarily forgotten the encounter but, he now realized--with a hint of guilt--that he was standing before Prince Thaden of Rosegate, Rowan's husband.

To Thaden's surprise, Greagor ordered his men to stand down and then the Captain himself, bowed before the Elven Prince.

"Your majesty." Greagor addressed Thaden as their eyes met. "My apologies, Sire. I did not recognize you when you first arrived."

Thaden looked to Tomag, the confusion evident on his face. Tomag could only shrug. This was not the greeting he'd expected when entering the Vampire city. To his knowledge, the Elves and Vampire's were enemies. It seemed now though that some dynamic had changed between them. Tomag could only speculate but he assumed that Rowan had something to do with the sudden change in the Vampire's attitude regarding the Elven royal family.

Thaden turned back to Greagor. "What the devil happened here?" He demanded. "And where is Prince Rowan?"

Greagor tensed at the mention of Rowan. His jaw clenched and he had to fight the urge to look away. Shame rolled off the man in waves but he would not falter. Thaden deserved to know the truth and Greagor could not, would not, lie to him now. He owed him that much. After-all, it had been Greagor's job to protect Rowan and he had failed in that. He was prepared to take whatever punishment Thaden decided to give him, but he would not lie. Greagor was a man of honor and he would own his mistake.

"We were ambushed by the Lycans." He began. "In the chaos, I lost sight of him. The Lycans out numbered us. The guard and our Knights tried to fend them off but their numbers kept increasing. We would cut down five then, ten or twenty more would come crashing through the gate. It seemed as if they had been bewitched. I've never in my life witnessed anything like it. Then, in the midst of the fighting, we were suddenly struck by a blinding, white, light. The light was truly remarkable. It had turned night into day and rendered all of us unconscious. When we awoke several hours later, the Lycans had vanished and so had Rowan. I thought he had gone into hiding. We found his squire hidden in the guard house but Rowan was not with him."

Thaden narrowed his eyes. "Are you sure..." He sucked in a deep breath. Dread had crept up his spine and into the very fiber of his being. He could barely get the words out but he had to know. "Are you sure that he wasn't killed? You found no body?"

"No, my Lord. We have gathered our dead and moved them to the court yard. Prince Rowan was not among them."

Thaden let out a sigh of relief and allowed himself to relax a bit. Rowan was alive. He was sure of it. He would feel it if he were not. Their bond was stronger now than ever before. He could feel Rowan's presence all around him. He had to be close by. Maybe hidden within the castle somewhere.

"We've searched everywhere." Greagor told Thaden, sensing the Prince's thoughts. "Where ever he is, he is not in Basmorte."

Thaden's mind began to race. The dread he'd felt earlier was back and had coiled itself around his heart like a snake. Rowan, his mate, his beloved, was missing. He swallowed hard, trying to steady his nerves them turned his gaze on Greagor. His blood boiled with rage. "You." He sneered, glaring at the Captain. "You did this. This is all your fault! You are responsible for all of this!"

4. DARK WAS THE NIGHT

Caroline pulled the drapes closed, blocking out the light of the morning sun that would come pouring through the window when the night was done. Learning of Rowan's escape from the dungeon had put a kink in Caroline's plans but, she was not ready to give up just yet. The commotion outside and the sound of the alarm being rang told her all that she needed to know. The Lycans had broken through the gate and attacked the guards as planned. With no one free to protect him, Rowan would be killed. At least, that was what Caroline planned for when she asked for Agren's assistance in dealing with the rogue Prince. If, by some chance, the Lycans failed to kill him, Caroline would gladly do the job herself. It was time to end this game of cat and mouse and regain control of her Kingdom.

Too many had already seen Rowan and worst yet, had helped him in his escape. Those who aided him would be dealt with as well. The one thing Caroline would not tolerate was disloyalty among her servants. Anyone who betrayed her would pay for that betrayal with their lives.

"I should have killed him when I had the chance." Caroline clenched her fists as she walked across her chamber floor to the vanity where she sat, looking into the mirror. It was a grave woman who looked back at her. The stress of the day had taken it's toll and Caroline looked haggard and pale. She picked up her brush and began to furiously comb her hair out of the pleats that, earlier, had been wound about her head like a crown.

She looked beautiful as she sat in the stands, waiting to watch her enemy burn. She looked regal, the very picture of charm and grace. She looked like a Queen. And, there was not one person who could deny that she was Queen. Once Rowan was dead, there would be no one left to challenge her for the throne. He was the one pebble in her shoe. The one thing standing in her way. She thought she'd gotten rid of him once before but he'd tricked her. She would not make the same mistake again. Once he was dead she planned to grind his bones into dust and then dump the ashes into the sea. No one, not even the so called child of the Tuatha could come back from that.