Sisterhood - Alienation

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is he telepathic or not?" Talon asked and Serenity returned to the original reason for the scan.

"Very. That may only be the first of many talents he has yet to display. We'll just have to wait and see."

"What do we do until then?" I asked, and I was shoved onto my back and they pounced.

Two hours later I stood at the foot of the bed seeing the bodies snuggled and sprawled on the bed. I took a long hot bath and let my thoughts settle as I meditated. I had a new gun in my arsenal, and it was always cocked and loaded. I needed to find a way of controlling this ability. Where do I find someone that can teach me how to keep my thoughts to myself? I couldn't just advertise, born again psychic seeking Jedi master to teach discipline, females a must. I chuckled and then I thought about the House's library. Maybe there was something there that could point me in a direction.

After the bath I dressed in comfy clothing and sought out the blue door. Keys in hand I entered the library and this time the setting was a vast crystalline cave. I felt the Grand Index touch my thoughts the moment I crossed the threshold. I was drawn to the center where a basketball sized diamond hovered in the air orbited by five colored gemstones the size of ping pong balls.

"Keeper." The Index greeted me curiously. "You've changed since last we spoke."

"It is those very changes I need help with." I said feeling a measure of hope.

"I don't have what you are looking for. Earth 438 has an artifact that might be of help. I must emphasize might Keeper. You are the first Keeper to receive such natural abilities. Many have found items or relics that granted such things. There is a great difference between the two. I hope you understand that."

"I do. Thank you. Can you tell me the sort of environment I will encounter on 438?" I asked. "I want to be prepared."

"Imagine the Sahara and you will be fine." The Index replied. "Good luck Keeper."

I floated back to the exit and found Thorn standing outside the Library door. I was about to ask her why she was awake when she informed me that the House had told her to prepare and join me on my jaunt. I agreed a bodyguard would be of great help. We dressed and packed for the adventure. I informed Serenity to tell the others when they woke up that I was out and would return as soon as I could.

"I have longed for my chance to prove my worth." Thorn said with a grim smile on her lips.

"Ready?" I asked as I double checked my gear.

"I am ready Keeper."

We went to the front door and I placed my hand on it. I thought Earth 438 and opened the door. A crimson sky mirrored scarlet sand that covered ancient stone ruins. We stepped out onto the shifting sand and I marked our exit point. We were standing amid a large stone complex that appeared to be recently restored towards the center structures. The wind picked up and I slipped the breath mask over my lower face. Talon pulled her hood up protecting her sensitive lekku and donned her own mask.

I listened for signs of the artifact. I could hear nothing over the sound of wind and swirling sand, but my mind picked up a soft keening tone. I turned to face different directions and isolated the tone's origin. We headed off along a line of fallen pillars once covered in strange hieroglyphs. The wind, sun, and sand had worn away much of the stone surface. What could be seen were unfamiliar. It didn't look like any language I had ever seen. I tried to access Binary's data base but when I searched for Earth symbols that corresponded to these I failed. When I opened my query to any symbols like these I came up with a single word, Korriban.

"We aren't on Earth!" I yelled over the wind.

'No need to shout,' Talon said her thoughts touching mine.

'Korriban. We aren't on an alternate Earth.' I sent with surprising ease.

'Softer Keeper, your mind voice is very strong.' She replied.

'How is this?' I sent thinking of whispering.

'Perfect, you are a quick learner.' Thorn said in praise. 'Where is Korriban?'

'No idea. But the artifact or relic is this way... I think.' I sent.

We trudged on as our feet sunk into the loose sand as if it were new fallen snow. Stone bulwarks rose up on our left-hand side. The wind formed huge sand drifts that towered three meters above our heads. We were forced to keep our heads down to protect ourselves against the stinging sand. Monotony quickly took over and soon we were lost in our own thoughts as I followed the ever-present signal guiding us to our goal. I hoped we were on the right course. I couldn't question myself until we reached the source and investigated it.

A sudden break in the solid stone wall allowed us a more direct avenue to our destination, if it held out. We were forced to climb over the column of wind-swept sand and once beyond that the wind and sand died off. We could talk now and remove our masks. I examined the walls of the crevice and pointed out the layers of sediment in the rock.

"I think this was cut by water, not wind."

"By the Lord of the Seven Darks! What is that Keeper?" Thorn cried out and pointed.

"Holy shit!" I cursed when I saw the fossilized monster. "It must be thirty meters long and look at those teeth. He was definitely a meat eater."

"He?" Thorn laughed. "Could be a she."

"Point taken." I conceded to her wisdom.

There were other fossils. I had grown up a huge fan of dinosaurs. None of these were remotely familiar. It only emphasized the fact that we were on an alien world. It was the only sign of life we had seen so far. There was a breathable atmosphere so there had to be plant life generating oxygen somewhere. Perhaps there was an ocean elsewhere and that was the source. I began to think of works of fiction and that is a point never brought up.

"Tattooine... Arrakis... how do they have an atmosphere?" I muttered and Thorn walked closer.

"Keeper?" She asked taking my hand in hers. "I like it too." She purred when a sudden rush of emotion at the contact slipped out. "What are those words?"

"You know that I like to read a lot." I said and explained my thoughts to her.

"Vast underground microbe colonies?" She conjectured. "Perhaps there is a network of subterranean organisms that require little water to survive and produce oxygen as a byproduct."

"Works for me." I said smiling at her keen intellect.

"It is getting wider up ahead." Thorn said pointing. "Mask up."

She pulled up her hood and donned her protective mask. I did the same as we got our first view of the valley beyond. It is littered with more of those fallen pillars. There were also a host of wind worn statues and other forgotten structures. Despite the heat of the day we both felt the psychic chill. We were getting close.

'Cautious.' I sent silently having a sense of dread and being watched combined.

'I feel it too.' Thorn sent. 'I have loosed my weapon.'

We proceeded slowly looking for traps, monsters, hell anything at this point. The sky began to brighten slowly to our right. Whether that was east or not, dawn was approaching. I felt it just before it struck from the sand. The primitive mind was all instinct and hunger. My body reacted long before my conscious mind did. Once more I was looking down but this time at an armor-plated reptile. I clung to the side one of the few remaining statues still standing. Thorn's blade was free and stabbing at the head of the beast. The armored scales turned aside her blade forcing her to retreat with a calculated backward hop onto hard packed earth. The predator preferred the cover of sand, but it did lash out with a forked tail armed with dual razor-sharp needles.

I had no weapons. I had brought the battle-hardened Talon to keep me safe, but now she needed my help. My belly burned, and I yanked up my shirt revealing the blazing blue brand of Athena, Goddess of War and Battle. Her gift was active, but what did it do? I relaxed and let the aspect guide my actions. My gazed fixed on the animal as Talon continued to dodge and rain down blows with the sword, I had forged for her. I examined what parts of it were exposed but could see no obvious weaknesses.

'Draw it off.' I suggested. 'Get it out of the sand. If I can see a weakness, I'll show you.'

'As you wish Keeper.' She growled and by slashing at the heavily protected eyes she enraged it and withdrew luring it onto the stable earth. 'Anything?'

The thing was ten meters from the front of its teeth riddled maw to the end of it muscular tail. Its armored body was covered in pyramidical scales that easily turned aside Thorn's best attempts. It was surprisingly agile on its six powerful legs. It took all the Twi'lek's grace and speed to remain out of it's reach. Athena's gift burned in me and I called out to Thorn.

'Still carrying that spare sword?' I asked.

'Spare hell, they are a mated pair. Here!' She sent as she drew and tossed the off-hand weapon straight up. 'Shit!' She cursed and rolled away from the thing.

I dropped down and caught the sword just before landing. If I was expecting a quick victory, I was disappointed. The thing sprang away, and the point of the sword struck the earth. I rolled away as the forked tail struck out. It hit only empty air, but Thorn managed to cut one of the venom laden needles from its flesh. It was really pissed now. I wasn't anywhere near as skilled as Thorn but apparently, I was able to hit harder. After a few exchanges I had managed to knock off a few of its scales. The was enough for Thorn to drive the tip of her blade in and draw blood.

'It stinks to high heaven.' I winced after the third slice. 'I've got a stupid idea.'

'I got your back.' She sent and I sensed a weariness in her. 'I'm fine. Just kill this thing so we can move on.'

I switched the sword into my left hand. While Thorn kept it busy, I rolled, snatched the tip of its tail that she had sliced off, and rammed it into the only real exposed skin this thing had, it's eye. Take that mother fucker! I cursed as the thing went crazy. It thrashed about wildly as I hoped the venom did its work.

"Die already!" Thorn screamed as she crumbled to the ground.

"Thorn!" I cried out as I stood between her and the dying beast.

"It stung me." She said as she used her knife to cut open her pants leg revealing the angry looking wound. "I'm dying."

"Bullshit!" I growled as the predator was taking to too long to die. "This ends now!" I roared and gripped her sword in both hands.

I plunged the blade directly behind its left set of compound eyes and a flash of sapphire light exploded from the blade ending the monster. I tugged the blade loose and tossed it next to Thorn. I knelt next to her and examined the wound. She was already sweating, and her body was shaking. I could tell she was in a bad way, but I didn't know what to do.

"Help me... Jerry." Thorn gasped as her eyes fluttered shut.

"NO!" I screamed and did the only thing I could think of. "Goddess heal her. This isn't about me, I just want her to live!"

I placed my hands on her leg and closed my eyes. I felt her mind begin to dim and panic set in. I focused my mind, my will on healing her and driving out the venom coursing through her body. The presence slipped into my mind like a blast of arctic wind. I was the one shivering now as the ancient entity engulfed me.

"Keeper..." She whispered. "So far from home."

"Who are you?" I asked. "Are you the Goddess of Korriban?"

"Hah, I have been called many things over the long millennia, but goddess is not among them." The soft sibilant whisper replied. "If you must address me, I suppose Umbra will do. From the shadows I emerge and to them I will return."

"Show me how to help her, please!" I begged.

"The one you call Talon is no longer in danger. Your desire has purged the poison from her body." Umbra declared. "Since our purposes align, I will grant you a piece of my knowledge. It should suffice to aid you on your task."

"Thank you."

I opened my eyes and although weak she was recovering. We couldn't stay in the open in case another one of those predators showed up. I would carry her and find shelter. With all these statues there had to be something around here like a lost shrine or forgotten temple. I sheathed her weapons and lifted her up gently.

"I've got you." I whispered.

We entered the valley proper. There were dozens of caves on either side of the valley. I spoke to Talon as I cradled her in my arms. She lifted her head and laughed.

"Dumbass, those aren't caves... they are tombs. Necropolis." She said her body covered in sweat and shivering.

"Good point, let's find a defensible position." I said ignoring her dumbass comment.

They were indeed tombs, dozens of them in fact. The doors that once protected them from grave robbers were torn off their hinges and covered in layers of earth and sand. How long had it been since people were here and raiding these burial sites? Centuries? Millennia? Hold the fuck on, one of the tomb doors was intact. It appeared to be the only one untouched. The artifact must be in there. It was on the other side of the valley. I didn't want to cross it with a vulnerable Thorn. I stopped, knelt, and held her close. I needed a solution. I switched on Binary's gift and took in every little detail. There had to be something I could use to my advantage.

"We are going to make it." I whispered.

"Leave me behind." Thorn muttered as her body shook and shivered as she fought off the fever raging within. "I am not..." She gasped and smiled. "So much passion in your heart. Take me to one of the smaller tombs. We can wait there until the fever breaks. I have food in my pack."

"There is one close by."

I carried her to the entrance of the closet tomb. I cleared a spot with my foot and set her down. Thorn slept while I watched. Something else lived in the valley. I saw movement beneath the sand that wasn't the predators. It reminded me of a sidewinder snake except it slithered under the sand. A sudden burst of activity caught my attention as one of the predators breached the surface of the sand and in its mouth a wiggling mass of tentacles. Was that the source of the slithering motion I had seen earlier? It seemed likely. I began to realize there was an ecosystem at work here. How did it function? I scooped up a handful of sand and picked through it with my index finger. There wasn't just typical sand here. There was a mixture of sand and dark red material. Was that substance that gave Korriban its scarlet hue?

"What are you?" I asked as I reached into my pack and took out the jeweler's eyepiece I had created in January. "Let's have a look at you."

I settled the monocle over my right eye and let the device do its work. I had created it to look for flaws and analyze my creations. It had its limits but what it could do was tell me the basic nature of the sand. As expected, there was silica and other base minerals, but the crimson bits were organic in nature. Was it food for the tentacled things? If it was, where did it come from? I was intrigued now. The tentacled things swam through the sand gobbling up the sand to get at the juicy red bits. The predators hunted them, but who or what produced the food for the tentacled things? A plan began to form in my mind.

"I've got an idea." I said but Thorn was fast asleep. "Your fever has broken that is a good sign. Your color looks better too. Thank you, Umbra."

I fine tuned my attack plan and if I could set things in motion, we had a chance of crossing the valley successfully. The hours passed slowly and while I was enthralled by the pattern of life in the valley Thorn recuperated. The dim red giant was directly overhead when Talon awoke. I handed her my canteen and she took small sips. She nibbled on one of the chocolate protein bars from her pack.

"What's the situation?" She asked her voice weak and hoarse.

"I think we can cross the valley to reach the intact tomb in one piece." I said, and she was eager to redeem herself. "I've been watching the valley. It is amazing really."

"I can see it in your eyes. You've got a plan?"

"I've been experimenting while you slept. It took a bit to find the right tune, but I think I've figured it out. Watch this."

I hummed a soft tune and at the same time hummed it in my head projecting outward. The sand just outside the tomb was boiling with several of the tentacled beasties. I felt the cool reptilian minds of the predators as they were drawn to the group of their prey. I sent the smaller critters fleeing across the valley to the furthest point I could reach. The predators took the bait and followed. Thorn was on her feet shouldering her pack and strapping on her sword belt. I lead the way and with several starts and stops we reached the door to the tomb. We were there but how to open the door was our next task.

"How are you holding up?"

"Weak but functional." Thorn assured me. "Big door."

"Yeah. It isn't the largest tomb here, but it is damn big. I wonder why it remains untouched?"

"Death traps? Deadly laser beams?" Thorn chuckled.

"It says that this is the tomb of Dekdarra the Shadow Weaver." I said reading the main inscription aloud. "She ruled for fifty standard years and was betrayed by her lover."

"Sounds like a woman with a grudge." She said. "Be cautious."

"I think she was the mind that I touched when I healed you." I said. "I think. Wait. Shadow Weaver. Of course!" I said and then cleared my voice. "From the shadows I emerge and to them I will return."

The grinding of metal against stone roared as the massive multi-ton door moved upward. The shriek echoed across the valley and beyond. I looked at Talon and she drew her blades determined to watch my back.

"I'll guard the entrance. I'm no good to you in there." Thorn grimly admitted.

I reached into my backpack and took out one of my inventions. I called it the archaeologist's friend. The drone not only provided a good deal of light but also scanned the area in front of it for traps, electronics, and signs of life. I tossed the drone into the air and it flittered forward. I took a breath and stepped inside. Huge air ducts in the ceiling brought in fresh air and hidden vents outside blew out the stale air. I waited until it didn't have that musty dead smell to it before I continued.

There was a ramp that led down into the tomb. The temperature plummeted but besides gusts of cloudy breath from my mouth I felt no discomfort or effects. That was until I walked in and my clothes gave off a soft crunchy sound as I moved. I was covered in frost as my breath froze in the air and other moisture clung to my body. I tugged up my shirt and there shimmering a deep emerald was the mark of White Buffalo Calf Woman. I guess her blessing protected me against adverse temperatures. The drone moved on and I followed. The walls were covered in the alien script native to Korriban. They were for invaders like me to see the deeds and victories of the fabled Shadow Weaver. Alongside the litany of fabled successes were dire warnings for those that would rob the dead.

At the bottom of the ramp was a pool of water. Something kept it from freezing but this must be a test for would be pilgrims or an impossible threshold for thieves to cross.

'Here goes nothing.' I thought and Thorn wished me luck.

The drone plunged in ahead of me. I secured my backpack and dove in after. The water was brisk as I kicked hard to drive my body downward. The walls were decorated with skulls both etched into the stone surface as well as the skulls of intruders or perhaps her followers. The drone had reached the door at the bottom and I had another ten meters or so to go. I was at the end of holding my breath when the sound blast struck. I saw the ripples slam through the water from both sides of the sunken tunnel. I cried out as the concussive force slammed into me. Bubbles of air exploded from my mouth and lungs as the salty water rushed in. Reflexes took over and I inhaled as I gasped for breath. I was assured I would drown but my lungs accepted the water as if it were air.