Sometimes the Good Guy Wins Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Scorpio44a
Scorpio44a
2,162 Followers

All of us spoke in unison, "Yes, Momma. We love you." We said it out loud.

I asked, 'Did you tell Donna, Linda and Danni too?'

'Yes.'

Sammi and Megan were crying. I put an arm around both of them and said, "He's not going away for a while. You know we'll stay in touch. You focus on your jobs. Peterson Family Trucking and our tribe need you. We'll be back as soon as possible while making sure Momma and Dad are well taken care of."

I had put my arms around Sammi and Megan. By the time my little speech was over we were all touching. We got Megan on the road by one o'clock. We got all of us moved to the motel near the school by four. Kelly and I were packed before dinner. Mostly the ladies were quiet. I sensed a buzzing of conversations I didn't need to be in. After dinner I went for a walk and Sammi went with me. We walked for over an hour and never spoke to each other. She waited until we were just outside our room and she said, 'I love that we can not talk and you say everything I need to hear.'

We kissed and the room door opened and Andrea pulled us inside. She said, "While you were gone you moved. I realized we were paying a hundred a night per room and if Sammi and I sleep together we only need one room. Kelly and Nick will be gone. I moved us into this room and Kelly and Nick into the one next-door, just for tonight. In a week we save seven hundred dollars."

"Ok, with me. Sammi?"

"Truth be told, I want to go to Wyoming. I know Dad wants to talk man-to-man with you, but I feel pulled to be there and so does Megan!"

"Megan needs to graduate. You need to graduate. Andrea needs to graduate. As soon as you know when we're available to truck, call Danni and have her see if we can get runs into Wyoming, Nebraska or Colorado. If we can, we can stop in and all of us can see Dad... and Momma."

Andrea said, "When I moved us I found two books that the school left for us to read. I started and it's stuff we both have learned from you and Kelly. We're really ready for tomorrow."

Sammi said, "Classes start at nine tomorrow. How long will it take for us to get you to the airport?"

I picked up the phone and called the 24-hour number for the minivan. I gave the guy who answered the number on the key fob and he laughed. Then he said, "Sir, that van is due back on the first of next month. Keep it and enjoy it. Just please don't take it outside Florida. Our insurance doesn't go that far. When you need to give it back, call us again and we'll come get it."

Kelly had booked us on the flight to Denver and the puddle-jumper to Casper. Kay'd pick us up. We needed to get up by six to get to the airport so Sammi and Andrea would be back to school before nine. Sammi and Andrea went into their room and Kelly and I went to bed in our room for the night.

We snuggled. We held on to each other and went to sleep in the middle of the big king-sized bed. Sometime in the night, the door to our room opened and we were joined by Sammi and Andrea.

Four in a bed is cozy. If they're used to sleeping two in a queen-sized bed it's probably crowded, but we're all used to sleeping in a sleeper so it was cozy. When the alarm sounded we took five minutes for touching and kissing before the need to pee got us out of the bed.

At ten after we were in the minivan and drove to the airport. We only took carry-on bags. I knew there were clothes of Sammi's and mine in the second house back at the farm. I knew Kelly and Sammi had been sharing clothes for a while already. Sammi and Andrea left us at the curb and headed off to school.

We boarded our flight, Kelly leaned against me and we both napped to Denver. The puddle-jumper was a twin turbo-prop with twelve seats to Casper. Just inside the terminal in Casper, Kay greeted us. There were tears and hugs and when we got to the four-door pick-up Kay gave me the keys. She waited until Kelly got in before she moved to get into the truck. I noticed someone had painted "Peterson Family Trucking Company" and our phone numbers of the front doors of the truck.

As I drove I thought, 'Dad's actually Ok, isn't he?'

Kay answered, 'Momma says he'll be Ok. Momma says he's got about a year left.' There was a pause and a soft whisper in my head, 'Momma lies, even to herself.'

Kay was silently crying. She continued, 'The doctor thinks he really has weeks, not months. Dad's heart is worn out.' Kelly put her arm around Kay and asked, 'You sure Momma's not listening?'

'Momma knows I'll tell you. She just couldn't. She knows Dad really wants some man-to-man time with you and she knows how important school is for both Sammi and Megan. There will be time for all of us to be together.'

The rest of the ride was quiet. I kind of figured we were isolated and no one outside the truck could listen. Kelly held Kay and had a hand on my leg. When we parked at the hospital Kay said, "Room 28."

I said, "You're coming in too."

"Nope. I'm taking Kelly home. We'll be back when you call us. It'll take half an hour from when you think, Come get me. He's waiting for you."

Arguing would have been a waste of breath. Instead, I got out of the truck. Kay got out, walked around and got in the driver's seat. By the time I was inside the hospital, they were gone.

I was taken to Dad's room. When I opened the door he smiled and motioned to the chair waiting beside his bed. I sat and held his hand.

"Son, I'm proud of you."

I couldn't speak. It sounded like the beginning of his last speech, his last words to me and they broke my heart.

He talked to me about life with Momma and magic. He told me stories about things they had done that were outside the normal of most people. He shared about how they had hidden the magic from almost everyone for most of their lives. He told me that they had done quite well over the years and that he knew I'd take care of Momma when he was gone. The property was all owned by Peterson Family Trucking and all of us. He let me know that Danni, Kathy, Donna and Linda were all shareholders and owners in the trucking company along with the rest of us who wore rings. He talked about a lot of the legal stuff he had done for our tribe.

We talked until he noticed it getting dark outside. He said, "Call Kay. Tell her to bring Momma and Kelly. I would like a couple of good kisses before I sleep tonight."

I did as he asked. Kay responded, 'On our way.'

Before they arrived Dad said, "Megan will move here and run the business. Your Momma could do it, but she's entitled to be a consultant for the rest of her life. Kay will be here, too. Give her a baby, Nick. She has loved the family and you all her life. Open your heart just a little more and give her a baby to raise with Megan's. Do it tonight!"

He closed his eyes and his breathing slowed. He napped until the women walked through the door. All three kissed him and someone from the hospital delivered his dinner. Momma sat on his bed and fed him. I sat with Kay and Kelly and watched. When he was done all three kissed him again and he was asleep before we got out of the room.

Kelly drove us back to the farm. Momma sat in the middle and Kay rode on my lap. I felt isolated. I thought about loving Kay, giving her a baby, starting another part of the family. I wondered if Kay wanted to have a baby and if she wanted our baby. I also wondered if we were financially sound enough to support all of two big trucks and us.

When we went through the gate and saw the two houses Momma said, 'I gave you some time to think without nosy women listening. For the rest of the evening, I think we all want to know what you're thinking.'

"First, thanks for the quiet thinking time. I think Megan needs to be focused on school. Let her study, we'll talk when she's available. Check with Sammi and Andrea and if they aren't stressed with school, open me to them, please."

Momma said, "Megan needs a little more time. Sammi and Andrea are with us. What about Donna, Linda, Kathy and Danni?"

"Hold off on Kathy for now. She doesn't know enough about the tribe or magic yet. I'm worried the details will overwhelm her if we don't talk for hours first."

Momma put her hand on mine and said, "She called to me this morning. She was in the shower, crying. She and I talked for hours. She understands the tribe and loving you and all of us. She changed her flight to tomorrow. She'll be in Casper at three tomorrow afternoon."

"Then tune her in. Check to make sure she'll be safe and private for our conversation." We parked and went into Momma's living room. Kelly brought me a diet Coke from the kitchen.

"We're all in, except Megan. As soon as she's available we'll talk to her too." Momma said.

'Not in the order of importance, here are some of what Dad and I discussed. Every asset Momma and Dad had as well as everything LeeAnn, Andrea, Kelly and I had is now property of Peterson Family Trucking Company. All of us are share holders and that includes Donna, Linda, Kathy, Danni and Kay.' I paused. He asked me to have Megan move here when she graduates and Momma and Kay will run the business with her, from here.'

Momma said, 'Give me a few seconds. Megan is here and I'll catch her up.'

A few seconds later she said, 'She's caught up.'

'Megan, Kay and Momma will run the business from the office. Dad says Momma is to have the job as a consultant, not as the boss. I say that for the rest of this year all three of you are equal partners in the office. By then Kay and Megan will take the reigns and Momma will be the consultant and grandma.' I said, 'Dad knows the farm is a good place to raise kids. He held my hand and said, "Megan will move here and run the business. Kay will be here, too. Give her a baby. Do it tonight!"' I saw a tear slid out of Kay's eye. 'That is what he wants, it is what I want too, but every person in the tribe has a say. Not a vote, a say. Are each of you willing to have another baby in the family? To love it, nurture it, support it and be it's parent as much as Megan, Kay and I are it's parents? And, most importantly, Kay, would you be willing to marry us and have our baby?'

Kay said, "I just ovulated. I wasn't due to ovulate for two weeks! My answer is Yes! My answer is that I've been sleeping in the second house, in that bed, ever since we got back from Denver, dreaming about conceiving a baby with you in that bed!"

'Sammi?' I asked. She answered, 'I love this tribe and all of us. I say, Yes.' We heard from every member and they all said Yes.

Last to be heard from was Kathy. 'I've never met any of you except Nick. I lied to myself and to Nick for years about love and commitment. I saw how his love for Annie almost killed him and I didn't want to risk hurting him like that. I wouldn't allow him to get that close. He did anyway. Now I've felt him loving Megan, starting a baby in her. I've felt him loving each of us. I spent most of today talking with Momma and knowing she's my Momma, too. You ask if I'm in? You ask if I can love that much? Yes! And, I promise to visit often, play with, nurture and participate with the whole tribe as much as possible.'

'Kathy, where are you?' I asked.

'Home.'

'I recommend you eat; shower put some towels on your bed and get ready. We're making a baby tonight, and you are invited.'

'Only make a baby in Wyoming, Ok?'

'Yup.'

I had a conversation with Kay that the tribe participated in. The question was if she wanted to wear the rings before we started a baby or to have Dad as a part of the ring ceremony the next day when Kathy would be there, too.

There was a long silence around me after I asked. I sensed a conversation happening and I couldn't hear it. Then I understood. Danni, Donna, Linda and Kathy were all going to be with us tomorrow! Andrea had bought rings for all of us. We'd have a wedding in room 28 at the hospital.

We walked to the second house and I got a fire going. When the house was warm enough we got ready for bed and Sammi, Kelly and Momma gave me some hints about what Kay wanted when we joined. I didn't follow their thoughts, exactly. I had some ideas of my own.

When we woke up the next morning Kelly delivered breakfast to us and Kay showed her three hickies. Kelly put her hand on Kay's belly and said, "A nice warm oven. Way to go, both of you." We shared breakfast and kisses. Kelly undressed and the three of us played and joined in isolation. I don't know how good the isolation actually was, but when Kathy arrived she didn't mention having had troubles in the plane or the airport. I cleaned up and went to get Kathy alone. Kelly and Kay had "things to do" they said.

I was in the parking lot of the Casper airport when I heard from Sammi. 'Nick, the head instructor wants to know if you want a job. He finished testing us this morning and he has certified us! Our licenses will be mailed to Peterson Family Trucking and we both have temporary paper right now!'

'Congratulations! Here's what I recommend: Find a place to park the trucks, lock-um up and fly here. Dad needs to see both of you.'

'Yes, Chief.'

Ninety minutes later the puddle-jumper landed and Kathy got out. After a brief hug I carried her suitcase and held her hand as we walked to the truck. We got all the way to the truck before she asked, 'Can we stop long enough for me to hold you and tell you I love you?'

I put her suitcase in the back of the truck and took her in my arms. We kissed like neither of us cared if everyone in Wyoming watched. As the kiss began I visualized a welcome home kiss I got once when I came back to the states in uniform having been in harm's way for three months. It was a great memory. I opened the door for her and she climbed in. I put a hand on her butt and helped.

When I got in she smiled and said, "Thanks for the lift."

"Anytime."

"It's funny. I don't know what any of the tribe look like, but I know I'll know them. I've been inside them, felt them at their most intimate moments. I already know I'm in."

I said, "I just wish you had worn something else. Momma and Kay both hate Navy blue."

Panic showed for a second and then she hit me! "No they don't!"

"How do you know?"

"They both just told me!"

"Ok. I surrender."

When we got to the farm I parked at the second house. We went inside. Momma and Kay were waiting in the living room. I carried Kathy's suitcase and Kay pointed the way. I knew there were two bedrooms down that hall. Just before I asked which one I saw a sign on one of the doors, "A soft place to land..." I took the suitcase inside.

When I rejoined the ladies in the living room I said, "I think we ought to go see Dad." I drove. Momma rode up front with me. She was quiet for a lot of the drive. I made up that she was listening or talking to someone else.

When we could see the hospital she said, "Do you have the rings in your pocket?" I nodded. "It would be nice if Dad could see you marry Kathy."

She was quiet the rest of the way. She may not give orders, but I got the message.

Kay, Kelly and Kathy went around Dad's bed when we walked in. The chair closest to his left hand was empty. Momma kissed him and sat there. She held his hand and patted it with the other hand. Dad asked, "Why don't you climb up here and lie next to my old bones? I think I'd like that."

Momma smiled and asked, "Which of us are you asking?"

Dad took his time and looked at each of the women around his bed. Then he said, "I need a bigger bed. I love all of you." He paused and said, "I'd feel the best if it was you Samantha."

A tear slipped out and slid down Momma's face. She stood and Kelly hit the buttons on Dad's bed, lowering it as low as it would go. Kay and I helped Momma up on the bed and she snuggled in close to Dad. Kathy unfolded a blanket and covered them.

Dad asked Kathy lots of questions about her life. He invited her to perch on the side of the bed and she did. Kelly and I stood beside her and held her. As he asked Kathy questions he shared with all of us about living fifty-seven years with Momma, Samantha. It was a love story about being different in a world overrun with normal. Parts of the story he aimed at Kathy. Parts he aimed at Kay. When he aimed at Kelly he reached for her hand and held it. He told each of them things about his marriage with Samantha and about facets of me, some of which I didn't know he knew.

When he was tired he said, "I know Momma has broadcast everything I said to the rest of the tribe. I have always liked that word, tribe. Sammi, Andrea, Donna, Linda, and Danni I love you, too. I love each of you and if you're on your way here I'll still be here when you arrive. Be safe."

He sat holding Momma and closed his eyes. He slept.

I said, "What do you want for dinner? I'll get food and we'll stay here a while."

Momma said, "Anything you kids want, I'll share. Don't hurry. Dad's gonna be here a little while longer."

Kay said, "I'll go with you. There's a restaurant we like and you've never been there." She kissed Dad, then Momma and Kelly. I did, too.

At the truck Kay and I embraced and kissed again. I helped her in and she said, "Now I know why men like tall trucks."

She guided me to the restaurant. We got out and I said, "Why this restaurant?"

"Good food and family." We went inside and I saw people I knew. Kids I'd gone to school with, faces a little older but still recognizable and they smiled as Kay and I walked to the counter. The waitress handed Kay the menu and said, "I would think you had memorized our menu by now. Kay handed me the menu and I read it. Kay told the waitress about Dad being in the hospital and the outlook. I ordered and the waitress asked, "Kay, who is this man? You bring him in here like he's someone we ought to already know."

I said, "My name's Nick Peterson. Walt's my Dad. I've been gone a while."

The man stuck out his hand and said, "We're family! Glad to see you again. My Dad and yours farmed side by side while we were little! Have you moved back?"

"Sort of, yes. Our family trucking company is based here and Kay lives here. We're here right now because Dad is having some medical troubles." They wanted details and Kay and I told the truth, not the whole truth, but the truth. The food was boxed and given to us. One look at the cook and I knew he was a brother by another mother. A further look at the waitress told me the same story. We accepted their gift of affection and good wishes.

I helped Kay back inside the truck and she held the food. As I aimed us back to the hospital I said, "The food had nothing to do with why we went there."

"When Dad goes the whole town will mourn. This was the best way I could think of to warn them. The phones are spreading the news. The newspaper comes out day after tomorrow. There will be a story in it."

"Ok. Is the food any good?"

"You might as well be eating food that Momma or I cooked."

"God! Is there a McDonalds around here?" We laughed and I got slapped on the shoulder. The nearest McDonalds was in Douglas and we never ate meals there. The DQ in Orin was better and closer. Momma and Kay were better than either of the other choices.

We got back to the hospital and Dad woke up when we carried food into his room. A nurse came in five minutes after we started eating and looked stern. I said, "Find a place to perch. I brought you some apple pie."

She protested about calories and getting fat as she found a place to sit. I handed her a fifth of a Dutch apple pie. She didn't bother us at all about eating in Dad's room or for feeding him. When the pie was gone and she got up to leave Dad said, "Oh, by the way, I think you're a little on the thin side. Another piece of pie might be good for you."

As soon as the door closed Sammi said, 'That's why so many people around Orin Wyoming look related to us. He's smooth.'

Andrea's voice was heard, 'Can one of you pick us up at nine-thirty?'

Scorpio44a
Scorpio44a
2,162 Followers