The Blue Roan

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I really do like you, Christine, but this prissy attitude of yours is getting old fast," stated June flatly. "He'd never touch a woman in any way without her permission, and most women would be only too happy to grant that request. You were about to go head first into that mud hole and he caught you. It's that simple."

"Are you telling me that you didn't notice that he held my breast long after he placed me back on my feet? He was enjoying himself!" insisted Christine.

"You think so?" laughed June. "He's a man, Christine! He had an incredibly beautiful woman's boob in his hand. He showed a lot more self-control than most men would have managed.

"Don't tell me that you didn't get a little thrill when you saw what the guy looked like that was holding your breast so gently. I could see the sparks flying from ten feet away. I'm not going to let you pretend to be so upset over such a trivial thing."

"Trivial?" repeated Christine. "I was practically molested by a complete stranger. That certainly doesn't seem trivial to me."

"Christine, you must know that he didn't grab your boob on purpose. Yes, he did hold on a little longer than he should have, but did you see how he looked at you? He's totally smitten. I've known him since we were kids and I've never seen that look on him before," assured June.

"That still doesn't give him the right to maul me. I will admit that he's not bad looking, and I've never seen eyes like his before. I just can't get over the lack of respect he showed. We'd never even met before," added Christine.

"If it's any consolation, Blue looked pretty unhappy about the way things went, at least he did once he released your breast," teased June. "Let's talk about other stuff. This thing will seem like nothing in a few days."

Christine was pleasantly surprised as the stagecoach rolled into Bonnet. The town was larger and cleaner than she had anticipated. Businesses seemed to be prosperous and the citizens seemed cheerful and friendly.

She was even more surprised when she saw June's home. It was a large two story structure with a long porch in front. Flowers added color to the walkway that led to the front steps.

"Dad, this is my new friend, Christine Hamilton. She's visiting Bonnet and I've invited her to stay with us. Christine, meet my Dad, Judge Ben Lane," introduced June.

"Please call me Ben," greeted June's father. "I'm glad that June managed to meet a young woman her age to be friends with. I'm afraid I wasn't very good at teaching her how to be a lady."

"I've got to disagree, Ben. Your daughter is very much a lady," praised Christine. "You've done a great job."

"I can't take much credit for that, except for asking Rachel Rhone to take her under her wing after her mother passed away ten years ago," replied June's father. "If you stay here very long, you'll probably meet Rachel and her son, Blue. They're a fine family."

"Christine already met Blue," interjected June. "Her opinion of him is a bit lower than yours, Dad. He called her a handful and she tried to slap him, again!"

Christine's face turned a dark red at June's statement. Ben quickly picked up on her discomfort and changed the subject. "You should show Christine to her room. She's probably exhausted after that long trip. She may want to rest, or freshen up."

June showed Christine the bedroom she would be using and then left her to unpack and rest. After an hour nap, Christine heard voices and laughter drifting up the stairs, so she went down to investigate after freshening up and combing her hair. She followed the voices to the parlor. She stopped in her tracks when she saw the very attractive, dark haired, middle aged woman sitting on the sofa next to June. When she saw the older woman's eyes, she knew without a doubt just who the lady had to be.

"Rachel, this is Christine, the woman I've been telling you about. Christine, I'd like you to meet Rachel Rhone. As you've obviously guessed, she's Blue's mother," concluded June.

Christine remained in place as Rachel Rhone stood and approached her. The older woman looked her up and down before breaking into a big smile.

"My dear, I assure you that I will not be treating you as crudely as my son, although I have to admit I can see the reason for his reluctance to release your charms. You're a remarkably lovely young woman. Would it be possible for us to be friends?" asked the older woman as she extended her hand.

Christine realized that she had been blushing from the moment she first saw Rachel Rhone and chastised herself for her lack of control. She took a deep breath and reached out to take Rachel's hand in hers.

"I must be frank. Your son exhibited boorish behavior earlier today, and it it's my belief that his actions reflect directly on his parents. I don't wish to be a poor guest in Ben's home, but it remains to be seen if we'll be able to get past this afternoon's incident."

"You're right, of course. Blue is a product of his heritage as well as the life's lessons his father and I tried to teach him. I'll be equally frank with you. I've never had reason to apologize for his behavior, especially with young ladies. While my son may have been guilty of lingering a second or two longer than necessary, it's my belief that his intentions were honorable. I blame his slow response in releasing you on your refreshing beauty. My son is a man. As such, his failure to function properly around you is understandable. I'll speak to him, but I fear he'll continue to flounder whenever he's in your presence.

"I did notice a slight bruise on his cheek this afternoon, but he assured me that he bumped into the saddle pommel as he placed it on his horse. Do you intend to hold the sins of my son against me, or can we attempt to be friends?" concluded Rachel Rhone.

Christine had expected the older woman to be flustered and apologetic when her son's crude behavior was addressed. Rather than apologize, she insinuated that his actions were normal and Christine shouldn't consider it such an affront.

"She's a lot like my mother was," thought Christine as she looked at the lady standing in front of her. "She might chew her son out in private, but she's not going to admit anything damaging about him to others."

Christine then considered her reason for visiting Bonnet. It occurred to her that June had mentioned that Rachel Rhone was a widow and that she and her son owned a large ranch in the area. Christine had told no one that she was now the owner of the Bar M ranch and decided to keep her secret a bit longer. Her interest in the politics and economy of the area would be considered idle curiosity. If she became known as the owner of the Bar M, it could be more difficult to get direct answers to her questions. It would be wise to be somewhat friendly with Rachel Rhone, a woman that possessed invaluable knowledge of ranching in the area.

Christine quickly made her decision. "Mrs. Rhone, I can see that you're an accomplished woman and a very good mother. I think we can be great friends. I won't mention your son's transgressions again."

"We'll only be friends if you call me Rachel," beamed the older woman. "I think we'll get along very well. My son will have to make his own amends."

"Now that we've taken care of that problem, let's go have dinner at the hotel!" offered an obviously relieved Ben Lane.

Once again, Christine was pleasantly surprised as she sat with her group in the hotel dining room. The room, as well as the table settings, was clean and in good condition. The menu offered a surprising variety of entrees and the waitress was extremely accommodating.

Christine smiled to herself as two young women sitting at a table near the door seemed unable to stop staring at her. She understood the situation for what it was. They were looking at her as possible competition for the local male talent. The thought amused Christine, since it was so unlikely that there would be any men in Bonnet that could ever interest her.

Because Christine was facing the doorway, she noticed Blue Rhone as soon as he entered the room. It gave her more than a little satisfaction when he suddenly altered his course away from her table. He was obviously planning on dining with his mother and the Lanes, but her presence had caused him to quickly change his plans.

What did not please Christine was how effortlessly he moved to the table with the two young women that had been staring at her so intently and joined them. Her irritation only increased when they directed huge smiles at Blue as he took a seat with his back to her.

Part way through their meal, June studied Christine's face before commenting. "It looks like something's bothering you. Are you disappointed in the food, or the seating?"

"No! Everything's really quite good," assured Christine. "I must be a little tired from the long trip. I'll try to be better company."

"It doesn't have anything with Blue sitting across the room, does it?" wondered Rachel. "I could ask him to leave if he's upsetting you."

June looked over her shoulder and located Blue immediately. "I didn't realize he was here. He usually sits with us when he's in town. I guess he's respecting Christine's warning that she'd have him arrested if he ever came near her again. It looks like Bea and Jane don't mind his company. They look radiant."

"You threatened Blue with arrest?" questioned Judge Lane while Rachel arched her eyebrows at that bit of information.

"I was upset. I just wanted to be certain that he left me alone. He's probably been bragging to his friends about how he got his hands on me," suggested Christine. "I simply didn't want anyone to get the impression that we were friendly in any way."

"You really don't know my son at all," observed Rachel. "He may have accidently placed his hand in an area he shouldn't have, but he'd never malign a lady for any reason. Of that, I'm certain."

"I don't know what kind of men you have in Virginia, but that sort of thing simply isn't done by any self-respecting cowboy in Nevada," declared June. "The good men around here would never damage a woman's reputation for any reason, and Blue is the best of the lot!"

Christine couldn't help but notice the passion with which June defended Blue. It was apparent that she considered him more than a friend. Looking at June's face as she regained her composure, Christine had a sudden epiphany.

"You're in love with him!" blurted Christine without thinking about how her words would affect June.

June suddenly burst into tears, stood and tossed her napkin on the table before fleeing the room. Christine sat in stunned silence. She was considering following her new friend and apologizing until she saw Blue stand, place some money on the table by his plate, and hurry out the door.

"I guess I don't have to point out that you hurt her feelings," observed Rachel. "Everyone knows how Rachel feels about Blue. It's no secret, but no one ever throws it in her face like that. I love her like a daughter. She's a wonderful young woman.

"The problem is that Blue loves her like a sister. They've been best friends since they were kids. He respects her way too much to take advantage of her feelings. He's never done anything to cause her to think that he's interested romantically, but it still hurts."

"It didn't take me long to overstay my welcome," stated Christine contritely. "I think it would be better for all concerned if I took a room here at the hotel. June must hate me."

"Don't be too hasty," cautioned Ben Lane. "June likes you. She'll be okay in a little while. You didn't reveal any big secret or anything. It's just that she always thought that she'd kept her feelings about Blue private. No one's ever pointed out the obvious to her before."

"I feel really bad," admitted Christine. "I accused the guy she loves of practically molesting me, and then I ruined her dinner with my big mouth. I know better than to tell another woman that she's in love, especially if she hasn't already admitted it. I don't know why I ever said that."

The three continued their meal, although there was much less conversation. As they were being served dessert, June returned to the table and took her seat. Christine was surprised at how composed she appeared.

"June, I'm so sorry I said that! It wasn't the time or the place, and it certainly wasn't my intention to cause you pain. I just went stupid," apologized Christine.

"That's what Blue told me," revealed June. "He told me that you've had some problems with men in the past and you try to maintain a tough front to keep men from hurting you again. Blue thinks you'd be the best friend I could ever imagine if I can manage to break through your barriers."

"He said that about me! He doesn't even know me," stated Christine irately. "I don't care what you think of him, he's an opinionated ass."

Realizing Blue's mother was sitting across from her, Christine turned to face her, expecting to see an angry woman. Her surprise was complete when Rachel broke into a hearty laugh.

"Things are about to get really interesting around here," managed Rachel between rounds of laughter. "That opinionated ass has no idea what he's in for."

"Actually he does, Rachel, because I told him," gloated June. "I told him his punishment for not loving me the way I love him will be for Christine to break his heart so he can learn how it feels."

"Does he even have a heart?" joked Christine.

She was greatly relieved that June wasn't upset with her and felt like a weight had been lifted from her shoulders. In the short time that she had known June, Christine had become quite fond of her. She realized that while she had no close friends back in Virginia, she felt a strong kinship with the blonde Western girl.

"Not as far as I'm concerned," retorted June with a grin. "He's absolutely heartless."

Concerned about how Rachel would react to the verbal beating her son was receiving; Ben glanced at her to gauge her response. To his relief, she was laughing along with the two girls.

The next week saw Christine spend a lot of time visiting the various businesses in Bonnet and chatting with owners and patrons. She tried her very best to be friendly and courteous, without appearing overly inquisitive. June often walked with her and introduced her to the folks they encountered.

The two young women were leaving the local mercantile when they almost bumped into a tall young man as he hurried into the store. His haste was quickly forgotten when his eyes fell on June and her attractive friend.

"Luke Winters, meet Christine Hamilton. She's visiting me for a few weeks. Luke works on one of the local ranches," added June.

Christine realized that she had just been introduced to the son of the man that managed her ranch. It was an opportunity she couldn't ignore.

"Actually, my father and I are probably going to own the ranch pretty soon," revealed the man as he swept his hat off his head and extended his hand to Christine.

As she took the man's hand in hers and firmly shook it, she began her questioning. "Aren't ranches awfully expensive? Your family must be rather well off to afford a working cattle ranch."

"You're right about that," agreed Luke Winters. "Dad's been managing the ranch for over twenty years. I grew up on it. We've worked hard and saved our money. We're just entering into negotiations for the spread, but the owners are Easterners and don't have any interest in it. They'll jump at our offer."

Christine managed to conceal her surprise at the man's stated intentions. She had received no indication that Bar M's long time manager was considering tendering an offer. If the offer were reasonable, she might even consider it. Wouldn't her brother be surprised if she managed to turn a losing proposition into cold, hard cash?

"Let me the first to congratulate you," offered Christine.

"Are you really thinking about buying Bar M with the water issue looming over the property?" asked June.

"We expect to get that settled pretty soon," replied Luke. "Those damn Rhones don't control the streams. Bar M range always went to the western edge of Jennings Creek. When the stream moved, so did the boundary."

"Blue and his mother don't see it that way," countered June. "They'll never let you take hundreds of acres of their best grazing land without a fight."

"Well, I never said there wouldn't be a fight," retorted Luke. "I'm just saying that our cattle will be grazing right up to Jennings Creek's western bank, regardless of where it may be."

Once Christine and June were well out of Luke's hearing, Christine asked for more information on Luke Winters' statements about Jennings Creek. "What's the big issue about that creek? Are the Rhones trying to steal Bar M range?"

"We've been getting along really well. If you want to keep it that way, don't ever let me hear you suggest that Blue and Rachel ever stole anything!" insisted June. "It seems to me like you've been here long enough to know that they don't steal. You've asked every person in town about the ranches, their owners, their cash flow and their value.

"You've been pretty closed mouth about your intentions, but it looks to me like your rich family is thinking about buying a ranch or something in the area. The one thing you must have heard from every single person, except Luke Winters, is how much people respect the Rhone family."

"Once again, I apologize. You're right that everyone's had high opinions of the Rhones and were less enthusiastic about the Winters," admitted Christine. "I have to learn to choose my words more carefully. I've learned that Westerners place a great deal of value on honor and always keeping their word. To suggest someone is lying or stealing is the same as asking for a fight."

"It's just that Dad and I think very highly of Rachel and Blue, even if he isn't in love with me. I'm surprised that he hasn't been around more, trying to improve your opinion of him."

"Your father seems to be quite fond of Rachel. Do you think that he'll ask her to marry him?" asked Christine, changing the subject slightly.

"I think he's working up his nerve," replied June. "Sometimes I worry that my feelings for Blue might have complicated things for them. On the other hand, if our mother and father marry, we'll be even more like brother and sister, and that seems to be the best I can hope for."

"I really don't know what to say about that," responded Christine. "You'd be upset if I told you that I thought you'd be better off with someone else, so I'm not going to comment on your relationship with Blue. You can be assured that I certainly won't be coming between the two of you. I'm not interested in him."

June smiled as she turned to face her friend. "Keep telling yourself that and you might start believing it. Remember I was there and saw the sparks fly."

"You saw a total stranger grab my breast and watched me slap his face. If that's what you mean by sparks, then you're right. I lit him up pretty good."

"You had him lit up before you slapped him. You have to admit that his remark about you being a handful was pretty good," recalled June with a smile.

"You think that was funny? You do know that he was referring to the size of my breasts, don't you?"

"Yeah, and he has big hands," retorted June with a straight face.

"You're almost as funny as Blue," complained Christine good naturedly.

"I really would like to know what the dispute is about Jennings Creek, if I'm not being too nosey," pried Christine.

"Last Spring, we had some very heavy rains, especially in the mountains where there was already a huge snowpack. Naturally we had flooding in the local streams, since they all have their headwaters in the mountains to the north. Jennings Creek used to make a sharp turn to the west in the foothills, but when it flooded, it cut a new channel and wound up flowing almost two miles east of where it used to cross the valley," explained June.