The Blue Roan

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The land between the new stream bed and the old one contains some of the Lazy R's best grazing land. Blue's father had his hands drag old stumps and rocks off acres and acres to improve the grazing. Now that Jennings Creek has shifted to the east. Bar M is claiming that the boundary is still the creek, although it's some of the best grazing land the Rhone's have."

"How do you think it'll be resolved?" asked Christine with a more concerned voice than she had intended.

June looked at her friend closely before responding. "Unless the Winters are willing to let it all drop, Blue will kill them both."

"You can't be serious!" exclaimed Christine. "It can't be worth dying over."

"That's how it is here in the West," shrugged June. "It's not just the land, it's the principle. If Blue allows Bar M to push his cattle back and claim that ground, he'll be seen as weak, along with losing some of his best grazing. Perception is very important out here. Blue can't show weakness, especially when Bar M demanded that he remove his cattle from the land. They didn't try to negotiate in any way. Both sides have dug in and now it'll probably come to gun play."

"How can you be so casual about that?" demanded Christine. "Blue could be killed. So could Luke Winters. Doesn't that bother you?"

"Of course it bothers me!" snapped June. "Even if Blue isn't in love with me, I still love him. Rachel would be destroyed if anything ever happened to Blue, and so would I. But it's his to do and we have to accept that. If I could convince him to let Bar M have the land, he'd never be the same. He's known as an honest man, but a man willing to fight for what's right and for what's his. To ask him to give in on this is to ask him to stop being who he is. I'd never do that to him."

"He'd rather die fighting for a few hundred acres than allow Bar M to claim it?" asked a shocked Christine. "That doesn't make any sense."

"A man without his pride and his honor is a dead man walking, or so Dad always said. In order for Blue to remain the man he is, he'll fight to his last breath. It may seem foolish to you, but it's the measure of a man out here."

Christine was extremely uncomfortable as she considered the situation. The Bar M was her responsibility. If men died fighting for the interest of the ranch, wouldn't that be on her as well? It was Saturday and she and June would be dining with Rachel and Ben at the hotel. Christine decided to speak to Rachel about the situation that evening.

When June and Christine entered the hotel dining area, Blue was sitting with a young ranch family at a table across the room from the one occupied by Rachel and Ben. Christine had only seen Blue on Saturday evenings at the hotel. He always sat far from her table and completely ignored her. For some reason, Christine wasn't as happy about that as she thought she would be.

"Rachel, today at the mercantile, June and I met Luke Winters," began Christine as soon as they had placed their orders. "He mentioned that there was an issue with Jennings Creek and the grazing rights on the western side. Do you think there's a chance that the whole thing could be negotiated somehow to avoid any violence?"

Rachel's expression darkened briefly before she gave Christine a warm smile. "I appreciate your concern, but this matter's out of my hands. Blue is the one you need to speak with. I'd rather give up the ranch entirely than see my son hurt or killed, but he's very much like his father. Once Blue decides something, I've never seen anyone or thing change his mind."

"That's going to be kind of difficult since Christine won't even talk to Blue. She's the same way. Her mind is made up about him and nothing's going to change it," stated June.

"My decision isn't a matter of life and death," responded Christine. "I'm not being so stubborn that someone might die. I just don't want to be manhandled again."

"So you would talk to Blue if it might mean stopping a small range war and saving some lives?" countered June immediately.

Christine just stared at her friend. "Did you just set me up? I never said I'd talk to Blue."

"But you did insinuate that you'd never be that stubborn about a matter of life and death," reminded June. "Let me ask Blue to join us so that you can discuss it with him. I'll ask him to forego manhandling you until a later date."

Once she finished speaking, June got quickly to her feet and strode over to Blue's table. She leaned over his shoulder and spoke quietly into his ear. Christine didn't know whether to hope Blue returned with June, or refused her request.

Rachel Rhone split her attention between June trying to talk Blue into visiting their table and watching Christine fidget as she intently watched June and Blue in quiet conversation. When Blue stood and headed toward her table, Christine's face flushed noticeably.

"Blue, you never got to shake Christine's hand in a proper introduction," began June as Blue stood in front of the woman he had offended so badly the only time he was near her.

"No, it wasn't her hand," chuckled the laconic cowboy as he extended his hand to Christine.

Determined to not behave like the prissy woman June had called her after her last meeting with Blue, Christine pretended to study Blue's hand before extending her own.

"I just wanted to be certain I didn't bruise your hand permanently," quipped Christine as the two shook hands.

"Actually, it feels pretty good," replied Blue as he looked Christine in the eyes. "Of course I haven't washed it since that day. I'm trying to make that memory linger."

Rachel watched her son and the beautiful Easterner exchange banter and was struck how the two seemed so much alike in many ways and so different in so many others.

"It seems that once you latch onto something, you're reluctant to release it," observed Christine as Blue continued to slowly shake her hand.

"She's hinting that you can let go of her hand, Blue," pointed out June. "This is what got you in trouble the first time."

"I don't think it is," responded Blue as he slowly released his grip. "What do you think, Miss Hamilton?"

"I think June is right. You do have large hands."

"It's very helpful when shaking... hands with a lady like you," replied Blue, still maintaining a straight face.

"Do you still think that I'm a handful, Mr. Rhone? I believe that's the term you used. Please remember that your mother is listening to this conversation."

In response, Blue slowly moved his eyes over Christine's upper body, deliberately lingering on her bosom before finally gazing at her face. By the time their eyes met, Christine felt her face flush.

"I've no reason to change my opinion. In fact, all of the evidence points to the accuracy of my observation," replied Blue as he studied Christine's features.

Christine refused to be the first to look away. Although she could feel the heat in her face and throat from her increased blush, she continued to meet Blue's gaze. It was Blue's mother that finally broke the standoff.

"Please stop this repartee right now, or get a room upstairs," insisted Rachel as she shook her head in amazement. "Christine, you don't appear to find Blue all that offensive today. Thank you for that."

"Your son's manners have greatly improved," declared Christine as she pulled her eyes away from Blue. "He needs to work on his timing, but his handshake has greatly improved.

"He's still quite crude, but I've come to realize that he's representative of his environment and gender. I'm sure you did your best to instill proper manners in him as a child, but no mother can ever take the boy out of her son, no matter how old he is."

"No, that's true," agreed Rachel. "We leave that job to his wife."

Not wanting to continue that line of thought, Christine stated what was on her mind. "Blue, you can't be considering risking your life and the lives of others over a patch of grass. Your mother says that you can't be talked out of it, but I find that hard to believe. How can a few acres of land be worth your life?"

Blue had listened politely to Christine's words and considered them carefully before he spoke. "A man's life has to have meaning and purpose. He has to stand for something and be willing to fight for it, or he isn't really a man. If I did as you suggested, Bar M and others would see it as weakness or fear, and within a year or two they'd be pushing for more. Some smaller ranches on our other boundaries may want some of our grazing, too. Where would it stop? Everyone's watching to see how the Lazy R responds to this land grab. If I show any weakness, our ranch will be torn apart within ten years. That won't happen while I can still draw a breath."

Christine was unable to form a suitable response immediately. As she mulled over Blue's reply, she grudgingly admitted to herself that he was acting as a man should. She had thought he was just being stubborn, or even proud. Instead, he was fighting for the survival of his ranch and his way of life. That was what she would expect a man to do.

"Would you be open to at least discussing the situation with the Bar M? Isn't it possible that there could be a way out without fighting and bloodshed?" was Christine's next question.

"You're new to the area. It's pretty well known that I don't socialize with Luke Winters or his father. I have no respect for them and no reason to think that they'd keep their end of any agreement. But to answer your question, I'd be willing to meet with them to try to settle this."

"Thank you for being so reasonable," stated Christine with some relief.

"Now that Christine's solved the looming range war, let me ask Blue a question," insisted June. "Will you be racing Deuce on July Fourth?"

"You already know the answer to that," chuckled Blue. "We haven't missed a race in ten years and we aren't going to start now."

June noticed Christine's confusion. "Blue has a blue roan stallion that his dad bought as a colt. Since the colt was a blue roan and they already had a kid named Blue Rhone, the ranch hands started calling the horse 'The Second', but pretty soon they knocked it down to 'Deuce'.

"July Fourth is just a week away. Every year the town has a big celebration even though we're not a state, yet. Nevada is a territory of the United States and we're Americans, so we celebrate it. We have all kinds of games for the kids, a basket lunch auction, and a dance that evening, but the highlight is the horse race at noon.

"All the riders line up at the south end of town and race a quarter mile to the finish line at the upper end of town by the livery stables. Blue's ridden Deuce in the race every year since the horse turned two."

"Let me guess," chimed in Christine. "Blue and his protégée have won the race every year!"

"That would be the fairy tale ending. The simple truth is that the blue roan just isn't very fast," laughed June. "They usually come in dead last."

"Really? Why do you keep racing him then?" asked a surprised Christine.

"It's become a tradition," replied June before Blue could respond. "The whole town makes jokes about it all year long. People can bet ten dollars. If their horse and rider win, they get fifteen dollars' worth of goods from the mercantile. If their horse loses, the wager goes into a fund to support the local school. More people bet on Blue than all of the other horses combined. It's for a good cause and they know Blue won't win!"

Christine was smiling as she listened to her friend recount the history of Blue and Deuce. She glanced at Blue to find him watching her. His blue eyes seemed to smile back at her. She had to admit to herself that he was very good looking man, in a very masculine way.

"I'm going to try to get Luke and his father to agree to talk with you about this range problem sometime after the race. It sounds like everyone will be in town, so let's take advantage of the situation," reasoned Christine.

"As you know, I'm all for taking advantage of a situation," quipped Blue.

"That's true. I'm acutely aware of how much you enjoy taking advantage," replied Christine as she once again looked into Blue's eyes. "You probably recall my reaction to that decision. It'll happen every time a man makes unwelcome advances toward me."

"How about welcome advances?" asked Blue immediately.

"I can't answer that as I've never welcomed an advance like that. It would be uncharted territory," retorted Christine.

"So it's possible?" shot back Blue.

"About as likely as you allowing the Bar M to graze cattle all the way up to Jennings Creek," answered Christine with a smirk.

"So we're negotiating already?" asked Blue with a smirk of his own. "That would be one way to keep face in the community. We may be able to reach an agreement."

"I find it difficult to believe that such a popular man about town would give up so much for so little," was Christine's immediate response.

"I think we've already determined that the word 'little' does not apply. Most would..."

"Please! Would you two not do this in front of me?" requested Rachel. "Some conversations should remain private and certainly not be held in front of the mother of a participant. I've never heard so many double entendres and innuendos in a conversation in my life."

"As long as your son leaves my double entendres alone, there'll be no problems," assured Christine as both June and her father groaned.

Rachel looked at Christine sternly before suddenly breaking into a hearty laugh. "I can't promise you that's going to happen, and don't make any jokes about innuendo, either!"

"Holy Cow! Look at that guy that just came through the door!" whispered June far too loudly. "I saw him first, so don't get any ideas, Christine."

Christine allowed her gaze to leave Blue's face long enough to take in the man June had just raved about. "Actually, I saw him long before you did. That's my brother, Will!"

With that, Christine rose to her feet and hurried across the room to greet her brother with a warm hug and a quiet warning. "Don't mention anything about me owning the Bar M. No one in town knows it and I want to keep it that way for a while."

Will winked at his sister as he released her from their embrace. Christine couldn't help but think that her brother was even better looking than she remembered.

"Come with me, there's someone I'd like you to meet," insisted Christine as she led Will to her table. "June, this is my brother, Will. Rachel, meet my brother. Ben and Blue, this guy is my brother, Will."

Will extended his hand to the pretty blonde girl first. She gave him a dazzling smile as she firmly gripped his hand. Will became a bit uncomfortable when she didn't release his hand.

"Blue, you need to show Will how Western men greet women when they first meet them," laughed June as she clung to Will's hand.

"Okay, but you'll have to let go of his hand and come over and fall next to me," responded Blue easily.

"Christine, you remember how it all works. Would you demonstrate with Blue so Will can see it once before we try it?" asked June.

"I was unaware that it's actually a custom," admitted Christine. "Regardless, my brother was raised as a gentleman and would have no interest in manhandling you for any reason."

His curiosity piqued, Will joined the conversation. "Just a minute, Sis. I'm not averse to learning local customs, especially if it involves manhandling this lovely lady. I certainly wouldn't want to appear uncouth, or unfriendly."

"Even it meant the manhandling of your little sister first?" asked Christine.

"That would depend on which sister. You know how I love Becky and would never allow any harm to come to her, but I suspect you're the sister about to be manhandled. If that's the case, I want to watch because I've never seen the man that could manage that feat and live."

"I did have a bruise for a few days, but it's gone now," admitted Blue as he pointed to his cheek.

Will looked at the blue-eyed cowboy with new respect. "The fact that you're sitting at the same table as my sister would indicate that you've both come to terms with the situation. Should I expect a bruised cheek from this experience?"

"I'm not one to overreact like your sister does. Dad is here, so I'll have to put up some sort of struggle, but only for appearances," grinned June.

"What's happened to the youth of today?" lamented Rachel as she looked to Ben for support.

"For one thing, they've apparently developed an interesting new method for greeting ladies, known as manhandling," pointed out Judge Lane. "To think I always felt lucky to get a handshake."

Other diners were smiling as they listened to the bantering taking place at Judge Lane's table. It seemed that the beautiful Christine Hamilton had an equally handsome brother who was visiting Bonnet. It also appeared that brother and sister shared the same type of humor as June and Blue. Those two had been trading funny remarks since they were kids in school.

Christine excused herself as soon as dinner was finished so she could accompany Ben to his hotel room. "So what's going on, Sis? Why the secrecy about owning the Bar M, and what's with you and that blue-eyed cowboy? June seems like a really nice girl."

"One question at a time," answered Christine. "I'm learning a lot about the local politics by seeming like an interested visitor. There's some trouble possibly brewing between the Bar M and the Lazy R, which is owned by Blue Rhone and his mother, Rachel. I'm trying to convince Blue to settle the dispute without bloodshed. He's reluctant to give up some of his best grazing land to Bar M."

"So that's it. You're using your feminine charms to gain more grazing land for Bar M! I actually thought you were interested in the guy when you introduced us, but now I see there's a method to your madness."

"I'm not trying to gain anything for Bar M. I'm just hoping to talk everyone out of a range war," insisted Christine.

"Really? If you wanted to stop a range war, all you'd have to do is assume control of the ranch. Why don't you just do that?"

"I'm trying to determine if my ranch manager is doing a good job or not. He hasn't exactly filled the coffers with profits from the Bar M operation. The manager's son told me that they expect to buy the owner out. I was wondering what their offer would be," replied Christine.

"Well, I can help you with that. This letter came for you not long after you left. I decided to see how you're doing and to drop it off. It's from your manager, Les Winters."

Christine quickly opened the letter and scanned its contents. "He's offering ten thousand dollars! How could he think I'd sell for so little? I heard it has a nice ranch house, a bunkhouse, and a barn, along with cattle, horses, and land!"

"You know how buyers always start out low. He loses nothing by making that offer. He knows he hasn't made any profits to speak of, so you might be happy to get rid of it," offered Will.

"I've been talking to people. Beef prices have been high the last few years and Bar M is the second biggest ranch in the area. The only one bigger is Rhone's Lazy R, and they've made profits. June told me that they've been investing in other interests lately, like mines and timber tracts. Why would Blue's ranch make a profit and the Bar M barely break even?"

"That's a reasonable question," replied Will. "I think I'll spend some time in Bonnet researching it and see what I can find out."

"If you're thinking of making June another notch on your belt, then please don't hang around. I really like her. She's not like those girls back east that you ran around with, and besides, her father's the judge," cautioned Christine.

"I could tell as soon as I met her that she's not like the girls back home. She reminded me of you, or at least her sense of humor and her good looks did. What about you and that cowboy? Aren't you using him to improve Bar M's position?" asked Will.