The Blue Roan

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I didn't know if you'd mind riding double," replied Blue. "Would you prefer to sit in front of me, or behind me?"

"I don't trust those big hands of yours," teased Christine. "I think I'd better ride behind you."

Blue climbed into the saddle and then gave Christine a hand up. As she settled in behind him, she pressed her breasts against his back and wrapped her arms around his chest.

"Am I squeezing too hard or something?" asked Christine in her best little girl voice. "You seem to growl all of the time since you've banged your head."

Blue directed the roan back across the creek and then pointed him toward the ranch. In another few miles, they came upon Christine's horse. It had stepped on a rein and broken it, but Blue simply knotted the two sections together and Christine climbed on her own horse.

"We'd better separate here so no one sees us riding together. They'll be asking questions about last night and where we stayed," reasoned Blue. "My idea is to tell anyone that asks that I was at a line camp we have on the eastern boundary, sitting out the storm. You can tell them that you were in the one you were at, but all alone. Nobody will think twice about it."

Christine agreed that a little lie would be much easier than explaining the truth to everyone. She still needed to determine what she wanted and how she felt about Blue. He was beginning to occupy her thoughts a great deal.

June was excited to see Christine step up on her porch late that afternoon. "Will and I asked about you all over town. We finally thought to question the man at the livery stables. He said that you rented a horse and rode out early yesterday morning. Where did you go, and where did you spend the night? Your clothes look like you were caught in the storm!"

"I thought I'd ride Jennings Creek to see where the spring flood made the new channel. The storm caught me by surprise, but I found a small shack up in the hills and spent the night there. My clothes were soaking wet so I had to dry them off in the sun this morning. I'm sorry I didn't tell you where I was going, but I'm okay."

"You rode all the way up to that line shack by yourself and spent the night there?" repeated a dubious June. "Why would you even do that? It doesn't matter to you how, or why, the creek changed its course. It's a matter between the Rhones and the Winters.

"After last night, things aren't looking too good for Blue. Luke Winters said that Blue shot him in the back when he was riding home last night. He claims he was knocked off his horse by the bullet, but he saw Blue and his roan riding away. He managed to get back on his horse and rode back to town. He's in the hotel with a hole in his back and swearing that Blue did it."

"That's ridiculous!" dismissed Christine. "No one's going to believe that story. Luke Winters is a liar!"

"I'm glad that you're so confident, but the sheriff rode out to talk to Blue first thing this morning and Blue wasn't around. Rachel didn't know where he was, but she told the sheriff that she'd have him ride be into town to tell his side of the story as soon as he showed up. Blue would never shoot anyone in the back, but it'll be his word against Luke's. That hearing is coming up in nine days and if this isn't cleared up, the Lazy R might lose some of its best range."

Christine immediately realized the implications of June's statement. Blue actually had an alibi! All he'd have to do is tell the sheriff that Christine Hamilton had been with him that entire night and she'd have to corroborate it. Luke Winters would be proven a liar, and it would probably improve the position of the Lazy R in the hearings.

The other side of that coin was that everyone in town would believe Christine was some kind of common whore, sneaking out to sleep with a local cowboy in a dirty shack in the hills. How did things get so bad, so fast? Christine made the quick decision to pack her bags in the morning and catch the next stagecoach for Virginia.

She had made some friends in Bonnet and really enjoyed living in Nevada, but the specter of being considered a common whore by the locals was something she'd never be able to endure. She was saddened by the need to leave Bonnet, but felt some relief in having made a reasonable decision to avoid the disappointment and possible ridicule of the entire town.

"I've got some more news for you," continued June. "Will's made arrangements for your father and sister to visit! They should be here the day before the hearing. I'm pretty excited about meeting your family. Will told me that he's never taken a girl home to meet his dad and sisters before. Do you think they'll like me?"

Christine was now reeling from June's information. Her father and sister would arrive in Bonnet in time to hear what a horrible slut she was. She had ruined her family name!

"I'm really tired. I need to get a good night's sleep," insisted Christine as she turned and went inside.

Christine tossed and turned all night, unable to think of a solution to the mess she had created. As she watched the sun come up from a chair on the porch, she decided that she needed to discuss her situation with someone. Only one person came to mind. She would explain everything to Will. Perhaps he could cancel her father and sister's trip to Bonnet. Then she could return to Virginia and hope that word of her indiscretion never reached her father's ears.

Will was having breakfast alone when Christine dropped into the seat next to him. It only took a glance for him to determine something was very wrong with his sister.

"What's wrong, Christine? You look exhausted and upset. Tell me about it," insisted Will.

"I can't talk about it here. Can we go up to your room where we'll have some privacy?" asked Christine as she fought to hold back tears.

Will simply placed money on the table, stood, took his sister's hand and led her upstairs. Half an hour later she was still sobbing as she finished her story.

"Wow, Chris, I have to admit I'm really surprised. I can understand how it all happened, but it's so unlike you. There's more to this than being wet and cold, isn't there? You've fallen for Blue, haven't you?"

"What should I do? He's going to hate me when he finds out that I own the Bar M. He'll force me to publicly admit that I spent the night with him. If I deny his story, the Bar M would probably gain the disputed land and he may go to prison. If I tell the truth, everyone will think I'm a loose woman and I won't be able to stay in Bonnet."

"We have over a week to try to get this straightened out. I'll think of something," promised Will. "You did nothing wrong. Everyone likes and respects you. They'll believe your story."

"Really? Blue and I have been dancing around this since I got here. A lot of people have heard us at dinner. I was naked and lying on top of him, Will! Maybe I am a slut. No lady would ever do that. Rachel will hate me," sobbed Christine.

"From what I've seen, Rachel's hoping to have you in the family," stated Will. "She's very fond of you and she likes how you're such a perfect foil for her son. You need to have faith in people."

"I let my guard down once and wound up naked with some cowboy that's going to swear under oath that we spent the night together. He'll probably even tell everyone I was naked. Dad's going to be so disappointed in me. I should leave before he and Becky get here."

"That's not going to happen. Hamiltons don't run. We'll circle the wagons if we have to, but you're going to stay and see this through," insisted Will. "Just trust me to take care of everything."

"Oh, Will. I always argued with you and teased you mercilessly, but you're the best brother in the world. Thanks for listening to my tale of woe and for not calling me the names I deserve. I'll do whatever you think is best. I promise."

Later that day, Will was more than a little surprised when Blue Rhone approached him as he strolled down the street. Even more surprising was the fact that Blue wanted him to represent him at the upcoming hearing.

"Judge Lane's going to settle the dispute with Bar M as well as listen to arguments that I shot Luke Winters in the back, all at the same hearing. It's going to be a tough day for me. I didn't shoot Luke and I hate like hell to give up some of my best graze, but I'm worried about the outcome."

"You have every right to be worried," agreed Will. "I'll do my best for you, but you've got to be totally honest with me."

"We'll have one of those client-lawyer relationships where you can't tell anyone what I tell you, right? I have to be sure of that," insisted Blue.

"Of course!" agreed Will. "That's essential in order to practice law. I can never repeat what you tell me without your permission."

"I'll tell you right now that I didn't shoot Luke Winters. You need to find out who did. If I'd shot him, he'd be six feet under right now."

Blue stopped at June's later that afternoon and asked June if he could see Christine. "I'm sorry Blue, but Christine isn't feeling well and is resting. Maybe tomorrow would be better."

As he made his way down the walk, Blue caught a glimpse of Christine watching him from behind a window curtain. It was obvious that she had no interest in seeing him.

Blue had been suffering pangs of guilt after spending the night in the line shack with Christine. He should have realized that she was not her usual self. She had almost drowned and then came close to freezing. Under normal conditions, she never would have shown her body as she did.

Now that she had time to consider her actions, she was embarrassed and hurt. She had trusted him and he had encouraged her to lower her inhibitions. She knew he couldn't have shot Luke, but she had come to realize that she was not able to trust him. He had failed her. She deserved much better.

Christine kept to herself most of the week while Blue remained at the ranch. He was under no illusions about how the upcoming hearing would play out. He told his ranch hands to gather up all of the Lazy R cattle on the west side of Jennings Creek and push them across to the east side. If Judge Lane decided in favor of the Bar M, Blue knew that they would have cattle grazing on the land before sunset.

There was also the possibility that he'd have to stand trial for shooting Luke Winters. He was hoping that Will could somehow get those charges removed, and if that that failed, persuade Judge Lane to allow bail. Blue had always been practical and this was no exception. He spent extra time with his foreman to be certain he would have the knowledge and tools to keep the ranch running smoothly.

The day came when Christine's sister and father were due to arrive in Bonnet. Christine's stomach was knotted up as she thought of her family finding out about her dalliance with Blue in a dirty line shack, like a common slut.

She was standing at the mercantile awaiting the stage when she recognized one of the Lazy R hands buying supplies. He was speaking to the clerk loudly enough for her to clearly hear.

"Blue's had us move the cattle back to the east side of Jennings Creek. He's been giving our foreman, Jeff Drake, instructions about running the ranch in case he winds up in jail. Everybody knows he'd never shoot a man in the back, even someone as lowdown as Luke Winters. It's a hell of a mess."

Christine had difficulty digesting that information. Why would Blue be concerned about going to jail? Did he think that she'd lie about spending that night with him? Did he have so little faith in her integrity that he believed that she would deny the truth to save herself embarrassment? If he thought that little of her, he really wasn't worth all of the time and energy she had spent worrying about his situation.

Her musings were interrupted by the sounds of the stagecoach pulling to a stop in front of the mercantile. Becky was the first one to step out, much to her father's displeasure. "I told you that a lady waits for a gentleman to help her down.

"It's just you and me, Dad. There wasn't any gentleman around to help me," teased Becky as she scanned the area looking for a friendly face.

"Christine!" shouted Becky as she rushed to hug her sister. "I'm so excited to finally get here. I bet you have these cowboys eating out of your hand. You'll have to introduce me to some."

"You're only eighteen," protested Christine. "Besides, these cowboys don't wait for introductions. They'll be swarming around a pretty girl like you in no time."

"How about that cowboy talking to Will?" asked Becky as she nodded at Will and Blue engaged in conversation a few yards away. "He sure looks good from here. Do you know him or should I go over and hug Will and start talking to him? Do you think he'll like me? He's really good looking!"

"Just stay away from that man!" declared Christine quickly as Becky looked at her in surprise.

"Wow! He's your guy, isn't he? Don't worry. I won't be flirting with your boyfriend, at least not much. You sure picked a good one!" laughed Becky.

"I'm Christine's friend," interrupted June. "I've been spending some time with Will, and it's a pleasure to meet his sister and father. My name's June. Don't pay much attention to Christine. She's a little pissed at Blue at the moment, but he's the guy for her."

"Will wrote to us about you. He said you were pretty, but I never thought that you'd be this beautiful," praised Becky as she shook June's hand.

"The man with Will is the famous Blue? Christine mentioned him in a couple of letters. She said he was rude, coarse, and pretentious. I read between the lines. She likes him, doesn't she? He must be something because Christine was never one to suffer fools. I'd like to meet the guy that managed to tame her."

"I don't like him and he certainly didn't 'tame' me as you put it!" snapped Christine. "There's a hearing tomorrow to decide if he should be charged with attempted murder for shooting a man in the back. He's a real catch!"

"You found yourself a real 'bad boy'?" marveled Becky. "I never would have believed it. You were so prissy back in Virginia. Will I find your likeness on any wanted posters, Sis?"

By this time Will was close enough to gather Becky in his arms for a long hug. "It's so good to see you and Dad again. You'll love it out here," predicted Will. "Everything is so much different from Virginia."

"I guess it is!" quipped Becky. "You've got this beautiful girlfriend and Christine's boyfriend shoots people. I can't wait to meet the guy!"

"He didn't shoot anyone!" corrected Will immediately. "He's been falsely accused of it. He's innocent. He's really a great guy."

"I'll wait until I meet the young man to form an opinion," offered Christine's father, William, but with a smile. "This is what I missed when you two headed to Nevada. There's never a dull moment when I'm around my kids."

Will introduced June to his father, who seemed very impressed. "Son, this girl's a keeper. I'm glad you finally you finally found a smart girl that can keep you in line."

"Dad, we're just getting to know each other. Don't read too much into it," replied an embarrassed Will.

"Sir, I have my sights set on your son. You may as well know it right now," blurted June as Will turned an even brighter red. "Christine's been toying with Blue, but he's hers whenever she wants him. He's the best man in the county, next to Will, of course."

"He's sure good looking enough, Sis" insisted Becky. "I can't believe that you're interested in a man that's accused of shooting someone, even if he's innocent. Back in Virginia, you were so particular about everything. None of the boys back home ever measured up to your expectations."

"Blue isn't a boy by any stretch," insisted June. "He's been running the ranch since his father died when he was a teenager. He's just twenty four now and he's one of the most respected men in the territory."

"Will, it seems like your girlfriend's awfully impressed with Christine's guy," observed Becky. "Maybe they'll dump you both and take up with each other."

"I never made any secret about my infatuation with Blue," admitted June. "He just never saw me that way, and once he got his hand on Christine, he hasn't even looked at another girl."

"Did I just hear you correctly?" asked Becky. "You said he got his hand on Christine? Tell me all about it."

Christine suffered through June's embellished version of the first meeting between Blue and herself. Even as nervous as she was about the hearing the next day, she found herself laughing at June's description of the encounter. Becky thought it was quite hilarious and even her father chuckled frequently at June's story telling skills.

"So when are we going to meet your beau?" asked Becky. "Why didn't he come over and introduce himself to Dad and me?"

"Blue has an important hearing tomorrow that he has to prepare for. I'm representing him and it's going to be one of the most memorable days in Bonnet history," predicted Will.

Christine spent another restless night worrying about the hearing and her expected role in it. She was still tense and irritable when she awoke. What would her family think of her by day's end? She hadn't even known that Will was representing Blue. She had been reserved and withdrawn all week. Will had been busy, but it had never occurred to her that he would be representing Blue. At least Will wouldn't be shocked when the truth was revealed.

The hearing was scheduled for one PM and the entire town was in attendance. Blue was a respected and well liked member of the community. The Lazy R was the most prosperous ranch in the area and people were curious to see how Judge Lane would rule. There was also the matter of Luke Winters of the Bar M being shot in the back and accusing Blue Rhone of the misdeed.

Luke Winters was sworn first. It was explained to everyone that while the witnesses would be under oath, it was not a trial. It was simply a hearing Judge Lane had called to gain information so he could make a more informed decision on matters of interest to the court. It was faster and simpler than a grand jury, especially when the pool for prospective jurors was so limited. If and when statehood was achieved, Nevada would have to adhere more closely to the practices of courts of law in the rest of the nation.

Winters' story was simple. He had been riding home around dusk when he heard a horse in the bushes to his left. His horse shied away from the sound just as Luke recognized Blue Rhone, as well as his horse. That was when he was struck in the back by a bullet. He fell to the ground as Blue galloped away. After a great deal of effort, he climbed back on his horse and returned to town for help.

Judge Lane allowed witnesses to have legal counsel if they so desired. Will announced that he was representing Blue in the day's legal matters and then began questioning Winters. No matter how many different ways he was asked about that night, Winters kept to his story.

Blue was then sworn in. He calmly denied being anywhere Bonnet that evening. His story was simple. He was caught in the rain and spent the night in a line shack on the far eastern border of his range. He was alone, so no one could corroborate his story.

Christine was surprised, as well as relieved. Blue was going to stick to his story about being alone in the line shack far from Christine's location. She had been worried for no reason. They couldn't possibly have any proof that Blue was involved in the shooting since she knew where he was when Luke was shot.

Then the bottom fell out! The Winters' lawyer called Zeb Smith to the stand. Zeb was a rider for a small outfit on the eastern side of the Lazy R. After being sworn in, he was asked where he was the evening in question.

"I could see the weather building in, so I stopped at the Lazy R line shack by Three Skull Springs and waited out the storm. I was there all night."