The Council Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JazCullen
JazCullen
6,499 Followers

Still, he had something that the Ancient needed and that made him smile slightly. He could almost see his brain whirling away as he digested the news that Cedar was his mate. Nors wanted his wolf in the same way. He just appeared unsure of how to go about achieving that end. Alexei had the knowledge of Weres that most of his kind severely lacked, probably all of them because none of them had ever considered mating with a Were before. And the Ancient wanted that knowledge, he could see it in his eyes.

Nors frowned deeply and fought down an irritated growl. He hated having to rely on Alexei for anything but after what had happened today, after almost losing his Ashleigh, he knew he had to talk to her, find out what she wanted from him. If she wanted him the same way he wanted her then he was willing to mate with her and to hell with the consequences. But to do so would mean that he had to ensure her safety, had to ask the other vampire how to handle the situation so his wolf didn't get hurt in anyway.

He sighed deeply, "I would say it was none of anyone else's business but it would appear that would be a lie," he said. "You allowed Cedar to bite you and now you carry the wolf gene. Has there been any noticeable change within you?"

He watched the satisfied smile which curved Alexei's mouth and he fought down the need to wipe it from his face. Ashleigh was worth putting up with the arrogant bastard's smugness. If he kept repeating that to himself he'd be less likely to try and take the other vampire apart with his bare hands.

"Nothing physical," Alexei replied with a thoughtful expression. "Not that I can determine anyway. I may have mellowed ever so slightly temperament wise and have developed a decidedly unhealthy addiction to my wolf but that appears to be the only discernible consequence of allowing her to bite me."

Nors digested what he said slowly. Alexei's claim of a more even temperament wasn't noticeably obvious. He still appeared to be the same cocky, arrogant individual as always but he had been gentle with Ashleigh. Nors had a feeling that was more to do with wanting to please Cedar than the actual wolf gene within his body.

"You find it easy to contain your need to feed from her?" he asked next. He didn't realise he was holding his breath waiting for the answer until he saw Alexei's smile widen. He slowly released his breath and found himself relaxing slightly.

"Yes and no," the other vampire laughed softly as he watched the Ancient's obvious relief changing quickly to a deep frown. He considered holding his peace and not elaborating just to play with him a bit longer but decided against it. He would most likely be pushing his luck if he did and he actually felt a slight level of kinship with the Ancient. They did have the same issue after all.

"Yes, because I much prefer Cedar to be alive rather than dead so it's fairly easy to keep that thought firmly in mind," he clarified. "No, because I ache to taste her blood so badly it almost drives me insane holding back. I ache to complete her ritual, to try and bond with her the way she has bonded with me. But it is impossible so I just have to learn to live with whatever discomfort I feel about being unable to taste her."

Nors was surprised at the wistful tone that had crept into Alexei's voice as he spoke, of the soft expression that crossed his face as he admitted to how hard it was not to bite his wolf. Alexei really didn't think the wolf gene had changed him in any way? Nors had never seen the other vampire let down his guard the way he had just done so.

Or was it his feelings for Cedar that made him lower his guard? Nors could plainly see that he was looking at a man so helplessly in love with his woman that he might as well paint a huge placard and carrying it around his neck just in case anyone missed the signs. He could see it because he felt the same for his Ashleigh. He felt his animosity towards the Elder start to wane slightly.

Alexei watched Nors intently as he spoke, almost one hundred percent certain now that the Ancient was the mate of his wolf. He just needed to ask him directly and he saw little point in beating about the bush. "Is Ashleigh your mate?"

Nors' breath hissed out slowly, his eyes narrowing as he met Alexei's gaze. He knew the twins would try and use his attachment to Ashleigh as a way to gain support from the other Ancients. He wanted to be angry with them for it but he was surprised to find that he actually felt a sort of affinity with them.

They were reacting to the mating pull of their wolves. They could deny their Weres no more than he could deny his Ashleigh. His heard turned slightly hearing the sounds of his wolf in the kitchen with her friend. He felt her pull keenly, his fear at almost losing her earlier making it almost impossible to remain seated and not go to her to make sure she was okay.

He sighed deeply and turned his gaze back to Alexei. "Ashleigh is my mate," he conceded quietly. ***** Ashleigh lounged at the kitchen table as Cedar expertly rifled through the kitchen cupboards as if she lived there. Her Beta had insisted on making her some dinner so she decided to let her. It was nice to have someone cater to her for once. Usually she had to make her own food and eat alone. Nors would sit with her as she ate, if he was home, but he didn't eat food so it wasn't quite the same as having Cedar with her.

"The last time I had dinner with someone was when I was last at the compound," she mused quietly as her friend started expertly tossing the ingredients of a quick chicken stir fry together.

Cedar heard the almost wistful note in the younger woman's voice and felt a little pang inside. It must be hard for Ashleigh to be away from the pack so much. She knew the girl was happy living with Nors but losing that close connection with the pack, who effectively became your extended family, must still be hard.

"We were giving you the space you needed, Ash," she answered carefully. "It was very difficult for you to be around us after what happened. You know you will always be part of the pack, that you will always have a home with us. You don't have to limit your visits to the compound. You can return more regularly if you want to."

"Can I?" Ashleigh breathed quietly, a touch of uncertainty in her voice. She loved living with Nors but she was finding herself missing pack life more and more as each day passed. "I've often wondered if the pack didn't feel that I had deserted them in some way when I chose to come live with Nors." It felt good to be able to talk about the hidden fears inside her, fears she hadn't even shared with Nors.

The stunned expression on her Beta's face answered her question before she even spoke. "Oh Ashleigh, no!" Cedar groaned, pulling the wok from the gas flame and crossing the room to crouch down before her. "Tell me you haven't been thinking such a silly thing? Of course we don't feel you deserted us, little one. You were so badly wounded by the war. We would have done anything to save you because we love you. You will always be in our hearts and part of us." She stroked her cheek gently before she pulled her into a tight embrace. She could feel relief shuddering through the other woman's body as she hugged her back tightly.

"I miss the pack, Cedar," Ashleigh admitted. "I love Nors so much but sometimes I just want to run with everyone under the full moon, to be part of the pack once more for a little while."

Cedar released her and gave her a reassuring smile before she headed back over to the stove to continue with their dinner. She would need to talk to Jared and Millie about this, possibly have one or both of them visit with Ashleigh to help reassure her that she was welcome home anytime. She filed the thought away and latched onto what else Ashleigh had just confessed. She loved Nors. She probably wasn't even aware that she had said it out aloud.

"Have you spoken with Nors about your need to return to the pack more often?" she asked quietly as she dished up the food and headed back to the table.

Ashleigh shook her head. "We were fighting about whether or not I should return to the pack on the way home tonight. I'm kind of confused about it because part of me does want to go back but most of me doesn't. Nors was going to send me home for good and that's when I lost my clothes. It...it hurt that he didn't want me here anymore, Cedar."

"Because you're in love with him and he's your mate?" Cedar prodded gently, smiling when Ashleigh's startled gaze flew to hers as it slowly dawned on the younger woman what she had admitted to a moment before.

Ashleigh groaned and toyed with her food, dropping her gaze to her plate. "My wolf tells me so," she admitted quietly. "But I don't think he's interested in me that way. Can mates resist the pull?" She looked back at Cedar, hoping to see a negative shake of her head.

Cedar laughed softly and reached across to pat her hand reassuringly. "Why do you think Alexei and I are here, Ash?" she asked with a smile. "Annie said you two are mates so we're here as representatives of our species to check up on that claim and make sure everything is okay. The way Nors was looking at Alexei earlier pretty much made up my mind that he's interested in you but Alexei is sounding him out at the moment just to make sure."

She saw the younger woman frowning in confusion. "You were afraid of Alexei when we first arrived," she clarified. "It's understandable considering the circumstances. What you didn't see was the expression on Nors' face when he saw your fear. He was ready to rip Alexei apart to protect you. He is most definitely interested in you, Ash."

Ashleigh stared at her stunned, blinking slowly. "Then why would he want me to return to the pack?" she asked in confusion. "If he wants me then why does he keep himself at a distance from me? Every time he seems me naked he has me cover up as if the sight of me offends him."

Her peeved tone and outraged expression had Cedar laughing loudly. Lord, Ashleigh was so innocent in some respects. She wasn't as young as she looked, though Cedar had no idea if she'd had any experience with men before the war last year. She was certainly old enough to and she had just assumed she had because of their lifestyle. But maybe she wasn't as experienced as she'd first thought, not in the subtle signs of recognising when a man was interested.

"Ash, you have just been through a very traumatic experience," she answered when she finally managed to control her laughter. "I dare say Nors has been giving you time to adjust to everything, to heal from your pain. As for the covering up part, you have a pretty amazing body on you. I dare say you've been driving the poor man insane running around naked when he's been trying so hard to be a gentleman. It's a wonder he's not foaming at the mouth if you do that on a regular basis."

Ashleigh flushed pink and took a moment to eat some chicken as she tried to digest her friend's words. If what Cedar said was true then that kind of explained Nors' reaction this morning. He was aroused by her even as he pushed her away.

She didn't have a whole lot of experience with men but she wasn't a complete novice in that department. She had spent some time with one of her pack mates before the war had happened. It hadn't been anything particularly serious as they knew they weren't mates but it had been a pleasant enough experience for the few months it had lasted. Her wolf was growling softly, clearly happy with the way the current conversation was going.

"Annie really said that? About us being mates?"

Cedar nodded. "You do know she's never wrong," she answered with a smile. "I guess it's up to you now. I think you'll find that once Nors has had his conversation with Alexei that he may be less likely to behave himself so impeccably, if you feel you're ready for that."

The determined expression on Ashleigh's face had her laughing softly again. Nors was about to be in for a rude shock if he decided he was going to keep trying to fight the mating instinct. Her friend most definitely had her sights well and truly set on him whether he thought she was ready or not.

"What's it like, Cedar? Actually mating with a vampire?" Ashleigh asked quietly, trying to control the excitement starting to build up inside her. Cedar was an experienced woman. She would know when a man was sexually attracted to someone and she was confident that Nors was interested. Add to that Annie said Nors was her mate. Her wolf was rumbling happily within her, restless to be alone with their flame haired vampire so they could ask him outright if he wanted them.

The Beta smiled widely. "A complete utter pain in the ass if you're mated to Alexei Romanov," she laughed again. "But also the most incredibly exhilarating, frustrating, sensual, wonderful, erotic thing in the whole world."

It was Ashleigh's turn to laugh as she saw the love and excitement glowing on Cedar's face. "Sounds like fun," she grinned biting into more chicken and chewing thoughtfully. Suddenly everything felt that little bit better. Her concerns about the pack were groundless and her vampire wanted her the way she wanted him. She hummed happily to herself as she ate her dinner.

To be continued...

JazCullen
JazCullen
6,499 Followers