The Dinner Party

Story Info
Dinner, chance for a good meal and conversation with friends.
11k words
4.59
73.3k
162
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Dinner Party

Chapter One

'So, it's all sorted? I'll see you the day after tomorrow. Ten AM, my time?'

'Yeah... I can't wait.'

'Still got those nerves? It is a big change.'

'No, they've gone. Just got one last thing to do tonight before I go to the airport. One last goodbye.'

'Well, I hope it goes well. I'll see you at Arrivals, I'll have a big card with Daniel Dahl on it, so you know who I am.'

'See you then and thank you. Thank you for organising this.'

'My pleasure. Goodbye Danny.'

'Goodbye.'

He pressed the button ending the call and looked at the handset in his hands. All the preparation was done. Now it was just, well doing it. Finishing it all off. He took a deep, slow breath and let it out carefully. He put the phone back into his pocket and walked through into the kitchen area. He sniffed, drawing in the smells of the cooking food. He took a sip of the white wine helping him cook. Glanced up at the corner of the room and saw the little light flash. That flash reassured him. That discrete pulsing red light.

There was a knock at the door. He glanced at the hand holding the wine and smiled as he saw it shaking. He put the glass on the side and walked down the hallway to open the front door.

'Good evening, Jenny.'

He helped the woman out of her coat and hung it on a peg. He stepped back and took a long, appreciative look at her.

'You look beautiful. That dress really compliments your eyes.'

He saw her smile at his words and he felt a surge of affection.

'Thank you very much Mr Dahl. May I compliment you on how dapper you are looking this evening. And something is smelling incredible.'

'Come on through. You're the first here.'

Jenny reached out and put her hand on his arm. 'Good. I was deliberately early. Is it all still on for this evening?'

Danny nodded his head. 'Yup.'

'Know that I'm in your corner. You'll be fine, absolutely fine. Have you got a key so I can lock everything up?'

Danny smiled at her and pulled out a small keyring with a few keys on it. He took a single key off it and passed her the rest.

'Thank you for sorting this for me. It's a weight off my mind.'

'No problem. Let's see what she does. But don't worry. I'll sort it out either way and drop you a call or an email with the details when the dust settles. Where's all your stuff?'

'In the hotel at the airport waiting for me. All the stuff I want whilst I'm away. The other things I've sent to my parent's place for them to store.'

The two friends walked down to the kitchen. 'Wine?'

She nodded and he poured her a glass.

'How's things with Marian?'

He saw her smile as he asked and grinned in reply.

'That good?'

She nodded. 'I was worried. The fame thing. My lack of experience in relationships, but to be honest, I'm walking on clouds.'

'I am so glad. That's what love is supposed to feel like. Been a couple of months now.'

'And just getting better. I took her home at the weekend to meet my folks.'

'And? Come on, you can't leave that there. How did she do?'

Jenny laughed. 'It went well. They've not heard of her so it was just me bringing home a girlfriend. It was cool. They got along well. My parents liked her and she loved that they didn't treat her special or anything.'

'Babes, I'm so glad. You've waited a long time for the right woman to come along. Are you going to mention it tonight?'

He could see her thinking.

'No. If it comes up, I'll let people know I'm in a relationship. But this evening's focus should be elsewhere.'

'Valid. But don't be afraid to bring it up if you want to. That kind of news deserves shouting about.'

'I won't, thanks, Dan. She said to give you a hug from her and wish you the best.'

'I'll take that. A hug from her is rather special. It's been brilliant, the last few weeks, spending time with the two of you.'

'We've enjoyed it as well. She just feels guilty that...'

'She shouldn't feel the least bit guilty, she did me a favour.'

A knock on the door interrupted their conversation. Danny gave her a rueful grin and walked down to answer the door.

'Good evening, Sebastian.'

'Champ.'

A slender man of slightly over average height stepped through the door and shrugged himself out of his coat. He handed it across to Danny and walked down the hallway to the kitchen as Danny hung his coat up. As Danny walked to the kitchen, he could hear Sebastian greet Jenny.

'I was just saying to our darling Jennifer, she'll have to come down and meet everyone. This production has a few real stars and she can hang out with us, take a selfie with them. Enjoy being with an A lister or two.'

'Lucy did, didn't she? She said she enjoyed meeting them.'

'She does, she's met most of them. I've introduced her around the cast, I'll do the same for you if you like.'

Jenny shook her head. 'I don't want to get caught up in that whole fame piece. I think it's the worst kind of bullshit ever.'

'Well, Lucy would disagree with you about that, as I would myself.'

'I agree with Jenny on this one, Seb. That whole celebrity thing is overrated. They're just people like us.' Danny said, picking up his glass of wine and taking a sip.

'I do so agree, old bean. But they are better paid and better looking. Some people enjoy being around them, being in their orbit as it were.'

'Not me.'

'And it's a 'no, thanks' from me, as well Seb.'

'Your loss. You're the ones losing out.'

'You won't persuade us, I'm afraid. Let's change the subject. How is work? Have you had your big break yet?'

'Work is being extremely vexatious again.'

Danny poured a glass of wine for Sebastian and handed it over to him. He took a long drink, almost emptying the glass in his first sip.

'How so?'

'Julian is impossible to work with. He's such a fucking primadonna.'

There was a flamboyant pause.

'I know he's an incredible director, but he's such a whiny, little bitch at the same time. Just so fucking sensitive. Anyone who disagrees with him, regardless what it's about, he throws his toys out of the pram. Proper foot-stamping, screaming queen, I've never seen anything like it.'

'He can't be that bad, surely. He's a celebrity. He's got such a good reputation. How does he get on with the rest of the cast?'

'They just suck his cock. There'll all up his ass.'

'What? No challenges, no push back?''

'Nope. His word is law to them.'

'Sounds like it might just be you, Seb. How does the lead actor feel about what he's asking him to do?'

'Thomas is a fucking coke-head, so far off his tits that he doesn't know what day of the week it is. Total fucking space cadet. Marian's gorgeous but she's all loved up.'

Dan quickly looked over at Jen and saw a grin on her face that she hid behind her wine glass.

'This role is good though? Being understudy to Thomas, working with Julian. It'll look good on your resume.'

'It's not worth the fucking effort, I swear. Unfortunately, due to the wonderful Covid virus, there isn't too much work available. The bloody plebs have deserted culture as if it were radioactive. One sniff of a half-decent role and I would be gone so fast there would be just a puff of smoke where I stood.'

'But you're getting some benefit from being there?'

'Scant, fucking scant. I learnt more in a school production when I was fourteen than what I have done from that limp-wristed, histrionic drama queen.'

'Dude, I'm sorry. Have you spoke to your agent?'

'She's a waste of fucking time. Miserable bitch. Another big reputation with little to show for it. I swear one more understudy role and I'm going to punch her.'

'Seb!' Dan protested. He just got an arched eyebrow from Sebastian in response.

'I'm sorry you're having a rough time, hopefully tonight will start turning things around for you.'

'Help. How?'

'Getting your feelings off your chest. Venting. Hopefully, that'll start to change things for you.'

'I'll drink to that.' Sebastian looked around. 'Where's Luce?'

'She's running late. Said to start without her.'

'Oh, OK. And what is tonight's delightful topic for discussion and deliberation?'

Danny looked closely at Sebastian, he wanted to see if there was a reaction. 'Infidelity.'

'Infidelity?'

'Infidelity. We're all in relationships or been in relationships or are planning on having relationships, what better topic to talk about.'

Sebastian drained the rest of his glass and handed it back to Danny for refilling as he walked over to inspect what was cooking. Danny looked at Jenny noticing the small smile playing across her lips. She'd noticed his reaction as well. So much for being a trained actor. Those little tells would be what stopped him from selling a character convincingly. Perhaps that was why after over ten years since leaving RADA he was still working as an understudy.

'Could be an interesting evening. I'm curious what people's thoughts are, whether it's a big deal anymore.'

There was a resounding knock on the door.

'As quiet and as delicate as ever, our Mr Bullman.'

Danny smiled at Sebastian's barb as he walked down the hall. He opened the door and let the waiting couple into the room.

'Good evening, Sir.' Said the man as he handed Dan a bottle of wine and then turned to help his companion out of her coat. 'I found her outside looking somewhat confused and lost. Thought I best help her out. I lured her here with the promise of fine food and plentiful wine.'

'You're such a gentleman, Jonathan.'

'Only around you, Champion. You and damsels in distress.'

He looked around as if slightly confused.

'Did you manage to get what you wanted?'

'Oh yeah. People getting loose y'all. Its ready for your touch.'

Jonathan gave a short laugh. He barrelled out of the hallway and into the kitchen, standing in the hallway still Dan could hear him greeting them with his usual robust enthusiasm.

'Good evening, Imogen.'

'Evening Dan. How are you?'

'You know me, Mr Consistency. That's what you call me, isn't it?'

He watched her as he made the comment and saw the flicker cross her delicate features. She laughed.

'Mr Dependable, Mr Reliable, Mr Consistency. Any of them Dan, and all of them. You are the port in the storm. What you lack in excitement you make up for with predictability.'

Dan closed the door and ushered her through to the kitchen.

'Don't know quite how to take that.'

She stopped abruptly and turned to face him.

'You're calm, collected, unhurried, unflappable and can be absolutely relied upon. All of that is brilliant. You're mature, steady, and loyal to a fault. You think the best of people and people like you.'

Dan shrugged. 'I guess I can live with that. But you think I'm dull.'

She reached out a hand and touched his arm.

'You're not the most spontaneous, exciting guy in the world. But that isn't a bad thing. I never said dull...'

She rubbed his arm. He looked at her before walking over to the stove to check on the meal. He did his checks and made sure all his guests had a full drink.

'When's Lucy joining us?' Imogen asked him. She was stood behind him watching as people filed through from the kitchen to the dining area and began to sit around the table.

'I don't think she'll be long. I'll hold off serving the main meal until she gets here, but it won't be too long.'

'Cool.'

'How's life with you? I haven't seen you recently. It's like you've been avoiding me.'

'I've been busy. I've seen Lucy a few times.'

'Yeah, I know. She's told me. I've barely seen her recently. You and her have been as thick as thieves though.'

He heard her laugh, there was something in the tone of it, nerves perhaps, uncertainty?

'She's my best friend. It's nice to connect with her and spend some time just the two of us.'

'Yeah.'

'You okay, Dan? The way you said that, sounds like... I don't know. Things okay with Lucy?'

He shrugged. 'Recently there's been some distance. More than before, felt like... felt like she's been pulling away from me a bit.'

He saw Imogen look at him closely, scrutinising him.

'She loves you. You're her rock.'

'Her rock. That reliable, dependable thing again. Got to love that reputation.'

'Excitement comes and goes. That's the thing with it, it ephemeral. Here one minute, gone the next. You're not like that, you're...'

'A rock. Steady. Yeah, I get it.'

'Dan, you're the solidity. The one she comes home to. The one who helps her recharge her battery and gives her the confidence to take on the world.'

He nodded.

'She needs that. Be that man for her. Enjoy her as her moods and fads pop and bang. Let her lift you and then be there to pick her up and dust her down and give her the strength when she needs it. She's not like you. You're strong, she's... weak, weaker. She can be pulled off course, you can't. Be that port in the storm for her.'

He turned to the stove, took a couple of steps before stopping. He didn't turn around but he spoke clearly and distinctly.

'Thing with rocks, Imogen. They're not just heavy objects that anchor boats. That's your metaphor, isn't it? I'm the rock she anchors her boat against, holding her steady against the waves. Well to extend that metaphor, more ships are sunk by rocks than by anything else. Rocks don't just anchor boats; they also rip their bottoms off and sink them as well.'

He paused, listening but she didn't say anything. He walked over to the stove and lifted the lid on the pot. Stirred the contents and replaced the lid. By the time he turned back towards the dining area she had walked away.

He picked up the bread and walked it through to the table.

'Guys, whilst we are waiting for Luce, we can have some bread to nibble on. Don't pig out on it, I don't want you to ruin your appetites, but it should keep the edge off.'

He sat down and took a sip of his wine.

'Daniel.'

'Imogen'

'Saturday. This Saturday, fancy a trip down to Brighton with me? Day out at the seaside, the two of us, poking around in the antique shops. You said it's been a while since we spent time together.'

Daniel looked at her, scrutinising her, noticing that she couldn't hold his gaze.

'Sorry, I'm going to have to take a rain check.'

'Oh? Lucy told me you were free and with her being busy at work...'

'Lucy's busy at work on Saturday? Good to know. Sorry Imogen, she hadn't shared that with me. Not yet anyway.'

He took a sip of the wine he was swirling around in his glass.

'But I won't be here on Saturday. Sorry. Perhaps next time?'

He could see a look of confusion on Imogen's face. There was a banging from the hallway, a door closing and a woman stepped into the room.

She called out 'Hi' and waved at each of the different people.

'I'm sorry I'm late guys. Work's a mad clusterfuck. Have I missed anything?'

Dan shook his head. 'No, you're timing is impeccable as ever. We're just nibbling bread; everything is ready to go.'

'You serve up then. I just need to quickly change and I'll be back.' She walked out the room calling over her shoulder.

'Be quick' Dan responded.

He began to put the contents of the different saucepans into bowls and bring them through. It took a couple of trips before it was all on the table. By that time, Lucy was sat down at the table with a glass of wine.

'Don't stand on ceremony guys, dive in.'

Dan watched with a small smile playing across his face as they all started to serve themselves up. He saw Lucy look at him and silently ask him how he was. He nodded and gave her a smile.

'Dan, my phone is screwed, can you have a look at it?'

He nodded. 'No worries, I'm sure I'll be able to get to the bottom of why it's not working.'

'Thanks. It's a real drag not having it up and running. It's been like it all bloody day. Trying to cope without a phone....' She trailed off.

When the melee had finished Dan served himself and sat down. Most of the food had gone.

'The last time we all sat around the table we spoke about happiness and what it meant to us. Jenny, you mentioned happiness came from strong relationships based on integrity with the people you loved. Your family, friends, and partners. Something that struck a chord with me and Jonathan who added into that mix savouring and appreciate whatever it is that we have. A focus on relationships being key to happiness.'

'Imogen, you added into that mix, that happiness for you is exploring the world and trying different things. Relationships are important but balanced with your individual wants.'

He paused and looked around.

'That was something that Lucy took and built on. A theme of curiosity, of not being satisfied but pushing for more, reaching higher and further. More focus on self than on relationships in your definition of happiness. Sebastian, you were the furthest in that self over others spectrum of happiness. For you, relationships were more transitory, they came and went but weren't the bedrock of your happiness. It was about the self, achieving fame, recognition. Not relationships with your peers but their respect and recognition of you.'

'It was a good discussion and I think we all enjoyed it. Gave us plenty to reflect on.'

He saw the nodding heads. He looked around and made sure everyone had a full glass.

'Tonight, I wanted a slightly more challenging topic. One we all will have an opinion on, one that is relevant to all of us. Hopefully, a bit more spirited conversation as well.'

He lifted his glass and with a smile toasted 'To infidelity.'

He took a sip quickly as Jonathan and Jennifer echoed his toast.

'So, todays topic of conversation is infidelity. Doing the dirty, cheating, hanging the horns. When one partner without the knowledge of the other, is intimate with a third person.'

He looked around the table, Imogen was shaking her head slightly. Jonathan was busy eating a piece of the bread, but knowing him as he did, Dan could see guarded amusement in his eyes. Sebastian was looking at the back of his hand and Jennifer was staring straight at him. Lucy was looking at him aghast.

'What?' Lucy exclaimed, looking around at the people around the table.

'It's our topic for tonight.'

'You're kidding? What kind of topic is that?'

'My choice.'

'Well pick something different.'

'No.'

Dan's delivered the word in a measured tone.

'I've done the work preparing the meal. I think it'll be an interesting topic for us to discuss. We've done happiness and success and other safe topics. We like the format of picking a topic for us to chew on over a nice meal. For me I'd like to talk about something a bit more, emotive. See what people think about the topic.'

He could see from the way that she moved in her chair that she wasn't happy with his words. He took a breath.

'Interesting choice of topic, Dan. Why this one?' Jonathan asked.

He gave a shrug. 'We're in relationships, well most of us. It's something that's relevant to all of us. It's something where there is often an emotional connection to the subject, I thought it would be interesting. I'm not expecting long silences, more rapid conversation.'

Dan paused for a moment. 'Jon, are you ok if we talk on this? I forgot about you and Vic.'

Jonathan nodded his head. 'Obviously, with what happened between us, there is a bit of um... sensitivity there, but it's old news now. No dramas.'

'So, what are we talking about?'

'How do you mean, Seb?' Jonathan replied. 'Do you not understand what infidelity is?'

'Funny man. I think it's important we're talking the same language. We're not talking about open marriages or swinging.'

Jonathan turned to Dan.

'Your topic, your call.'

Dan thought for a moment.

'For me, for tonight. Let's talk about where it's done without permission, without knowledge.'

'One offs or affairs?'

'Is there a difference? I think let's include both.'