The Envelope

Story Info
Sometimes you can't ignore what is inside.
11.2k words
4.18
122.1k
116
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is my third story as a new writer, hopefully they are improving. I did go back and re-write "Too Predictable" and cleaned up a bunch of mistakes. Both this story and the re-write were only possible with the help of my wonderful editor, MrsIntJ.

As always I welcome all comments.

--*--

The winter sun streamed through the big kitchen windows that Saturday morning. Brian sat at the kitchen table staring out the windows at the snow and frost covered mountains west of Denver. What a beautiful sight, he thought. The air seemed so clear it was completely transparent. It's like I can see forever.

The large home set on the side of a hill that looked out onto the Colorado Front Range mountains. Brian reflected on living in this beautiful area. He never wanted to live anywhere else.

Brian had lived as a bachelor for his first thirty-eight years, now he had a beautiful wife, two adoring daughters, Kayla and Kimmie. Kayla was blond like her mother, and they had the same bright blue eyes. Kimmie had darker hair and pudgy cheeks that dimpled when she smiled.

Six years earlier he had found true contentment. Hayley and her two girls occupied the center of his soul.

But as he thought about the good life of the previous six years, Brian knew that it was all about to change. He knew, in fact, that his life had already changed. It had changed yesterday. The day he saw the contents of that envelope.

--*--

Hayley was still drowsy as she slowly walked into the kitchen. It was a lazy Saturday morning, and she had stayed in their big king-sized bed until she no longer needed the sleep. She love these lazy winter mornings..

Hayley could smell the coffee that Brian had already brewed. She wrapped her robe around herself, slid her feet into her slippers and stood up. A leisurely morning was a rare occurrence. Most days were filled with her "to do" list. It was either getting the girls ready for school and then off to work, or it was the many activities of a family weekend. But today, with the kids at their grandparents, there wasn't a single thing on her list.

Hayley walked into the large open kitchen and glanced over at Brian sitting at the kitchen table. She poured a cup of the coffee and sat down across from him. "Good morning, sweetheart," she said. Brian looked across the table at her. His face was expressionless, and he didn't respond. "Brian, is something wrong?".

He reached for the envelope sitting in the center of the table and said, "Hayley, you need to tell me about this."

Hayley's mind didn't register the seriousness of the situation. She glanced at the envelope and took a sip of her coffee. She could feel herself starting to wake.

"Brian, what is it? What do we need to talk about?"

Brian emptied the contents of the envelope out onto the table. About ten large, glossy photos, some written documents, and two DVDs slid onto the table. He spread them out so she could see them.

Hayley, still waking, looked down at the photos. Her mind went from sleepy to hyper-aware in about two seconds. The pictures on the table were pictures of her being fucked. She was being fucked by three different men in various positions, and some included her deep-throating their cocks.

"Oh my god, Brian. Where did you get those? What the fuck is going on here?" Hayley shouted. "Put those away," she screamed. "I can't look at those." It felt like she couldn't breathe. She looked up at Brian with a questioning expression on her face.

Brian just sat across the table looking at Hayley. His eyes were still expressionless. His brain was blank. His thoughts were all mixed up, and it seemed like all coherent thought was gone.

--*--

Hayley and Brian had known each other for almost ten years. When they first met, Hayley was engaged to Dr. Mark Hamilton. He and Brian were both doctors at MedGen Hospital. Hayley was an Emergency Department (ED) nurse and worked at MedGen as well. Two months after they met, Brian attended their beautiful wedding down in the Castle Pines area.

Mark was just a couple of years out of residency and was becoming a promising surgeon. He was one of those outgoing, energetic types that seemed to always be on the move—always very professional and always dressed in expensive clothes. Brian was a general practitioner and much a more laid-back type. Brian enjoyed being a doctor but didn't want it to consume his entire life. He enjoyed the outdoors, cooking and other hobbies.

Hayley was beautiful. Brian's impression of her was that she was a vibrant, high-energy type, and from his interactions with her at work, she was always very professional.

Mark and Hayley made a perfect couple, Mark being the up and coming surgeon and Hayley the beautiful wife. They were sure to become an ideal family. Brian hoped he could find a woman like Hayley someday.

Brian was more of a loner when it came to women and relationships. He wasn't shy, but he wasn't a ladies' man either. He didn't hit on the women around him, but did date on occasion. He eventually wanted to marry and raise a family but was always busy with his practice and hobbies. Brian kept his relationship options open and figured the right woman for him would come his way. In the meantime, he enjoyed his circle of friends. That circle included Mark and Hayley.

--*--

It was seven years since Brian had first met Mark and Hayley. It was another bright sunny spring day on the Colorado Front Range—one of those days that you would kill just to drop everything and hit the links. Brian had been working on his golf game lately and hpis handicap was down to eleven. With just a little more dedication, he knew he could break into the single digits. But it wasn't a day for golf. No, that day was Mark Hamilton's funeral. He had been hit by a drunk driver after he left the hospital at 1 a.m. the previous Friday.

--*--

One day, about a year after Mark's death, Brian's phone alarm went off. It was his pager app telling me to call a number. "Hello, this is Doctor Clark," Brian said.

"We have a patient of yours that was admitted into the ED. She has a low blood-ox, dizziness and shortness of breath. She said you are her doctor and have been treating her for heart issues."

"Yes, she had been diagnosed with AFIB." Can you make sure she has taken her prescribed med?

When Brian got to the ED the attending nurse was Hayley. He hadn't seen her except in passing for about a year. She was her usual professional self, and soon they had the patient stabilized. As Brian finished writing on the patient's chart he looked up, "Hayley, can you take a break. I would love to sit and catch up. How have you been and how are your girls doing?"

Hayley smiled. It was good to see her old friend. "We're doing fine. Yeah, let's go to the cafeteria and get some coffee."

Brian sat across the table and listened to Hayley talk about how they had made their way after Mark's death. She had been immersed in her girls and her work. It had been difficult at first, but they were making it. Kayla was four and Kimmie almost two. Hayley pulled out her phone and showed Brian pictures of them. "My parents have been a great help with them. They are so flexible with my crazy schedule and all. "

Brian could tell how proud she was of them. He was just sure she was a wonderful mother. "They are just beautiful, Hayley."

As Brian looked at her, he could not think a woman could be more beautiful and alluring. She had no makeup on but didn't need any. She was so intelligent and professional. What more could a man want but a woman like Hayley?

"Hayley, I know that Mark has only been gone for a year, but would you consider going to dinner with me? I would really like to spend some time getting to know you better."

"Oh, Brian," Hayley was a little taken aback. "I've not dated anyone since Mark's death. I'm not really looking for another relationship. I'm not sure if—if I'm ready for that."

"Hayley, you will be safe with me. I'm not looking for a relationship either."

Brian knew he wasn't being completely truthful. As he looked at her, he could feel himself become smitten."

She seemed like everything he wanted in a woman, and her beauty drew him in. It wasn't love at first sight, because he had known Hayley for many years, but now he saw her in a completely different light. He was going to find a way to get closer to this woman, no matter how long it took.

"I don't think so, Brian. I don't really want to date yet."

"I would love it if we could just be closer friends."

Brian could feel Hayley's hesitation. It was understandable. She had lost her husband just a year ago. He would give her some time and then try to connect with her.

--*--

Brian thought about Hayley every day. He didn't know why he couldn't get her out of his mind, but after about a week he couldn't wait any longer. Brian decided to call her. He wouldn't ask her out but would just try to connect.

He called and she seemed pleasantly surprised to hear from him. They had an enjoyable conversation with Brian talking mainly about work and Hayley about the fast the girls were growing."

Brian continued to call about once a week. It was always good for Hayley to have some adult conversation outside work. Brian always asked about the girls and seemed genuinely interested.

Hayley could feel Brian's affection for her grow during the calls these past weeks. She could tell he would soon be asking her out and she didn't want that. She wasn't ready to date and started to feel like she was leading him on."

The next time they spoke, it was difficult for Hayley. Shortly after the conversation started, she said, "Brian, I don't think we should continue our conversations. It just not a good idea."

Brian didn't know what to say. He stammered, "Is it something I said, Hayley? I have enjoyed our conversation so much." He knew there was a little desperation in his voice.

"No Brian, it's just that I'm so busy with the girls and work and, I don't know, it's just not a good idea."

"Ok, Hayley. Maybe I'll see you at work and we can grab some lunch in the cafeteria or something.

"Sure, Brian. Maybe we can?" she said. "I gotta go-bye." Then she hung up quickly.

Brian was beside himself. He had been thinking of Hayley so much lately and was trying to take it slow with her but his efforts had backfired. Maybe she is starting a relationship with another guy? She said she wasn't looking for a relationship but maybe she found one anyway?

--*--

Brian and Hayley hadn't talked in about a month but she had not been off Brian's mind. He had asked around and the nurses said they didn't think she was seeing anyone. So Brian found an excuse to be down in the ED on a morning he knew Hayley was working. He kind of hung around trying not to be conspicuous until he saw Hayley and approached her.

"Hayley, how have you been?" he smiled. She smiled back and looked pleasantly surprised to see him. "How are the girls?"

"They are doing really well, Brian. Thanks for asking."

Hayley kind of looked around like she was trying to find an escape. Before that could happen, Brian said, "Could we grab a bite at the cafeteria?

"Oh, I don't know Brian. I should be—"

Brian interrupted her. "Hayley, you gotta eat sometime. Please, let's just sit and catch up." He was looking directly into her eyes with a pleading look." Brian didn't care if he appeared desperate. He was determined.

"Ok, Brian. Can we meet down there at 12:15? That's when my break starts." She could see his eyes brighten and a smile came to his face.

"You bet," he said. Brian would have met her at 12:15 on the moon if that was what she wanted.

--*--

They sat down for lunch and started talking about everything. The girls, work, how she needed a new car. Brian didn't care what they talked about, he was just enjoying have a conversation with the most beautiful woman in the hospital. When it was his chance to speak he talked about his love for the outdoors and how he like to fix things. "I worked my way through the early college days as an assistant to a home repair guy. So know I a pretty good fix-it guy I guess? Let me know if you ever need anything done around the house."

Hayley couldn't help herself. She had tried to be restrained, but Brian was so easy to talk to. He was such a gentleman and seemed so down to earth. He was very unlike Mark who had been a flashy dresser and a smooth talker. "Mark had been so into himself. Brian doesn't seem that way at all." Hayley thought.

Hayley could feel herself warming to his affections. "Dammit," she thought. "I really like this guy. I wished he would just go away. The last thing I want is another man in my life right now." But she knew her hardened shell was beginning to soften.

As the lunch ended, Brian went for broke. "Hayley, would you consider going out for dinner with me on Saturday? Do you have plans for Saturday?"

"No, I don't have plans," she said answering the last question without thinking. It left her open to his first question and Brian had such an expectant look on his face that it won her over. "Sure, Brian, dinner would be nice."

--*--

When Brian knocked on Hayley's door, a girl of about fifteen answered. "You must be Brian," she said.

"And you must be the babysitter," Brian smiled. He could see a little girl of about four was standing behind her and peaking around the babysitter.

"Yes, I'm Jen," said the babysitter. "Hayley said she would only be a minute. Please come in."

"And I'll bet you are Kayla," Brian said looking down at the girl. She just gave a shy smile and moved further behind Jen. Brian reached into a bag he was carrying and pulled out a small stuffed bear. "I have a friend here who would like to be your friend, Kayla. His name is Charlie. Could you take him and be his friend tonight?" Brian said holding out the bear. Kayla reached shyly around Jen and grabbed the bear. She had that smile that lights up a child face and Brian knew he too had just made another friend.

"Yes, I can be his friend," she said.

As they walked into the living room, little Kimmie was sitting playing with some dolls. "And you must be Kimmie. Do you like unicorns, Brian said, handing her a small toy unicorn from the bag. Kimmy just smiled and took the toy. I'll bet your dolls would love to ride a unicorn," Brian said.

As he turned around, he could see Hayley standing in the doorway. He didn't think he had ever seen a woman look more beautiful. "He tried not to act too giddy and said, "you look amazing Hayley."

Hayley was blushing. "Thank you, Brian." She was looking at the unicorn and Kayla rushed up to her. "Lookie at the bear Mr. Brian brought me. I get to be his friend tonight." Kayla held out the bear, showing it to her mother.

--*--

"The dinner was wonderful, Brian." They were standing on her porch at the end of this evening. Hayley knew she was in trouble. She knew she was falling for this guy. It had been a wonderful dinner and they had talked and talked. It was so comforting to be around this man. And that is what he was. He was a manly man. As much as she wanted to stay away from men, she knew it was a losing cause with Brian. He had made it clear that he liked her and now she was opening up to him.

"Hayley, I hope you know that I really like you. I'm sorry I'm coming on strong, but I can't help myself. I know it's only been a year since Mark's death, and if you want me to go slow, I will. I will go as slow as you want but know that I am going to be here until you tell me otherwise. I don't care if I have to wait for one, two or five years." Brian moved closer to her, looking into her eyes.

"Brian, you are a really nice guy. It's just...". Brian moved closer and kissed her. The kiss lasted a long time, and Brian knew Hayley wasn't pulling back. He wanted that kiss to last forever. He wanted to kiss her and be with her forever, but he didn't want to come on too strong.

Brian pulled away and had the biggest smile on his face. Hayley started to say something but Brian bounded off the porch. He didn't want Hayley to have a chance to talk. He just wanted her to remember that kiss. As he got a few steps away from the porch, he turned and looked back at her.

"Remember Hayley, I am going to be here; now or five years from now or until you tell me to go away. I had a great time tonight. I will talk to you soon."

Hayley just stood there. She didn't say a word. It was like the oxygen was missing from the space she occupied. "Oh, my god," she thought. "How could I not fall for that man."

--*--

They were married in a small ceremony almost a year later. As Brian had promised he had taken things slow and gave her time to warm to him. He didn't push her, but he was always there, calling her or helping her with small repairs around her house. He always paid close attention to the girls, and they seemed to love him as much as Hayley had grown to. After the wedding Brian sold his condo and moved into Hayley's house. It was now their home. Brian always seemed to make time for her and the girls. Hayley didn't know how he did it: he had a thriving practice but it never interfered with their home life.

But sometimes things have a way of getting in the way of life, and sometimes, those things some in envelopes.

--*--

After three years of marriage, Brian sat in front of Hayley and pushed those pictures across the table. "Hayley, who are those guys you are fucking? When did this happen?" The envelope was from Scott's Investigative Service and addressed to Dr. Mark Hamilton. The contents revealed that the investigation had taken place about a year before Mark's death.

"Brian! Put those pictures back in the envelope! I don't want to look at them. That happened a long time ago and had nothing to do with us. Where did you find them?"

Brian had found them in a bunch of Mark's old papers as he was looking for some paperwork that pertained to the house. He ignored Hayley's question.

"Can you tell me what happened here?" Brian pointed at the pictures.

"No, I can't Brian. I don't want to talk about it." Brian could see the fear in Hayley's eyes. He could see her hand was shaking.

"Look, Hayley. I read the report inside as well. You were fucking around on Mark. How could you do such a thing?"

"Brian! It was all a mistake, but it's none of your business. That happened between Mark and me before we met. I don't want to talk about it. Just give them to me. They should have been burned a long time ago."

"What happened Hayley? I thought you and Mark had a good thing going, but from the looks of it you were obviously fucking around on him. The envelope is from a private detective so he must have had you followed and found out you were cheating on Mark. Do I have that right Hayley? Is that what happened?"

"Stop Brian! It's all in the past. It was between Mark and me. I'm not going to go through it with you. It's history." She was still shaking, but there was anger in her voice.

"Hayley, it may be your history, but we need to discuss this."

"NO! Brian, I'm NOT going to discuss this. Its old news and it's none of your business."

"None of my business?!"

Hayley jumped up from the table and hurried from the room. She looked like a deer escaping a predator. She turned as she got to the door and said, "Burn those fucking things. I don't ever want to see them or think about them again."

Brian sat at the table. He hadn't got any explanation from Hayley. He had hoped she would have some kind of answer, something that made some sense to him, but he got nothing. He knew this wasn't over, but Hayley was stonewalling.

Maybe she would decide to talk to him after she gave it some thought? Brian decided to get out of the house. If Hayley wasn't going to talk to him, then fuck her. Brian headed down to the local sports bar, watched college football games and drank a few beers.