The Man Next Door Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Will received 5 stitches in his left cheek. He didn't make a sound as the nurse sutured his skin back together. He also paid no attention to me. I didn't blame him.

When he was discharged, he took his papers and walked out of the hospital. I stayed a few feet behind.

He stood immobile when he got to my car, waiting for me to unlock the doors. As soon as he hard the locks switch, he got into the passenger seat.

The radio was on as we made the long, surreal drive back. Halfway home Will punched at it, effectively turning it off. I listened to him breathing for the rest of the ride.

Once we pulled up he jumped out of the car and went straight into the house. When I came in I saw him tinkering around with our liquor cabinet. He took a large, old bottle of whiskey out of the back and tore the cap off.

He gulped down a few swallows. Only then did his red-rimmed eyes come to me.

"I guess you must think I'm pretty stupid."

I shook my head. "No. I don't."

"Really? I think you do. That, or really fucking gullible. Which," he whipped his hand through the air around us, "obviously I am."

"Will--"

"Don't even start. I don't want to hear your excuses. I don't even want you to say you're sorry." He took another swig. "Your fucking 'sorry' is shit to me. Your face is shit to me."

He walked over to me. I flinched, afraid he would hit me. He caught the movement and stepped back. "You know what you are, Ashley?"

"Will, please," I sobbed.

"You know what you are?"

"No, I don't."

Will wiped his mouth. "A piece of shit. A waste of time. A whore. Take your pick."

"I'm so sorry, I never--"

"Take your repulsive apologies, your 'I never meant to hurt you', and your fucking miserable ass out of my house."

I stood there for a moment, not sure what to do. Then I gathered my keys and bag and turned to go.

"Oh, and I wouldn't bother trying to spend the night at Cathy's."

I stopped and looked back.

Will smiled for the first time since he found me. "She thinks you're shit, too. She tipped me off."

Of all the shocks that day, this was the greatest. It shouldn't have been. I should have seen it coming. But I didn't, and it ran through my body like a cold knife across my bones.

He came closer to me. "Do you understand?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you." He dramatically lifted a hand to his ear. "Did you say you understand?"

I couldn't breathe. "Yes."

"Good." He finished the bottle. "Now get out."