The Slayers Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"They already know," Brittney said. "They saw how you were with Amanda and they know that there is no way that you could have hurt her."

"I hope that you're right. How are you?"

"Like you as well as can be expected," she replied. "The service is going to be tomorrow at eleven. Apparently Josh already knows where it is so you only have to tell him the time."

"I want to kill that bastard so bad," Paul said tearfully.

"I know," Brittney soothed. "So do I and we will kill it."

"You?" Paul asked. "And what army? No offense, but Britt you weigh no more than a hundred pound sack of potatoes."

"We'll talk tomorrow alright?" Brittney said avoiding the question.

She hung up and Jian called Robert.

"We will be there at eleven... I understand," Jian said and hung up.

"You understand what?" Brittney asked.

"Due to the time of day Robert cannot attend but he sends his condolences," Jian replied. Let's begin our workout and I will tell you about Robert later."

After an hour of warm-ups, Jian brought several mannequins up from the basement and sat them around the room. He took the weapons out of the closet and handed Brittney the replica 'naginata-reaping sword.'

"I thought that we were using the real thing," Brittney said confused as she took the weapon.

"We will later, but for now we will use these. You may begin."

Jian watched as Brittney began. Her movements were slow, concise and deliberate as he had taught her. There wasn't a wasted movement. Then gradually she began to lose focus. Her movement lost their fluidity and became erratic. Her anger was building. Silently he watched as she ran from one mannequin to another stabbing and slashing at them blindly while sobbing loudly. Finally exhausted and sobbing, Brittney dropped the weapons, sat on the floor and sobbed. Jian gave her a few minutes before going to her. When he sat down beside her, she threw herself into his arms and cling to him as she cried.

An hour later her eyes were red and puffy but she was under control. Even so, Jian held her until she released him.

"I-I'm sorry," she said looking down at her hands. "I don't know what happened. I just got so angry- It won't happen again."

"There is no need to apologize," Jian assured her. "I knew that this would happen. That is why we started with the replicas. It was important that you get the bulk of your rage out before we started with the real weapons. Are you ready?"

They trained until late afternoon. Once Brittney's brain made the switch from replica to real, she was more than proficient. She was going to be deadly in a fight Jian thought proudly.

"You have done well," he complimented. "It is time for lunch; you may use the shower first."

Brittney ran up the stairs stripping as she went. She looked in her bag and frowned. She really needed to go to her apartment. She had enough clothes for today and that was it. She took her shower, dressed and ran down the stairs. She stopped when she heard voices. Winona had come for lunch.

"Congratulations on progressing to the real weapons," Winona said when she saw her.

"Thanks," Brittney replied wondering if he had told Winona about the mannequins.

Over lunch, Brittney asked Winona about her mate.

"I thought that slayers worked in pairs, so where is your mate?"

Winona's face took on a pained expression and then cleared.

"Brittney one of the first things that I want to tell you is this. One of the hardest things for me to learn was that when Justin was being bossy, he was looking out for me. I was already thirty-five when we met. I had been living on my own from the time I was seventeen. I had never been married, made my own decisions and put myself through school. I was also into the martial arts- not nearly to the extent that you are, but I was no slouch. It took me much longer than it took you to progress to using the real weapons, but I made it.

But at any rate, Justin swept me off my feet. Me Miss. Independent was head over heels in love with a man that I had known for less than two weeks. Everyone was shocked- so was I for that matter but three weeks after I met him, Justin and I mated."

"You had no problem accepting what he told you?" Brittney asked.

"At first I thought that he was kidding," Winona said, "but I saw that he was serious and when he introduced me to other slayers I had no choice but to believe. Now this is where I refused to be bossed around. I wanted a wedding. I wanted to experience the engagement-all of it. Justin agreed as long as we were already mated before the wedding. So I planned a small, intimate wedding- less than fifty people. I wanted to exchange wedding bands but Justin didn't want to. He told me that it was safer not wearing them because the rogue couldn't always tell if a slayer was with his mate. Wedding bands was a dead giveaway. I couldn't be persuaded otherwise and because he loved me; he gave in.

Winona stopped and wiped her eyes.

"We had been married for almost four years when we were out in the field. We were living in Miami at the time. We had gotten word about a lower rogue who was killing homeless people. Since we were closest to the area, we went. It was a trap. The lower rogue was doing the killing under the direction of her master. He wanted to capture a slayer in the hopes that he could torture information out of him or her. At first she overlooked me. Then the streetlight shone on my ring. The lower rogue looked at me and said 'mate'. The next thing I knew, more of them were coming."

"Oh god," Brittney whispered as she reached out for Winona's hand.

"Justin started screaming at me to run, but I didn't want to. I couldn't leave him there alone. Finally, he looked me in the eye and said; do as I command you. What choice did I have? I shifted into a homeless person and got away while he kept their attention on him. Two days later, I couldn't feel him but I believed that he was alive. I was staying with a slayer couple when I got the package. It was Justin's left hand ring finger still wearing the wedding band."

Winona took a break and wiped away more tears.

"It started when that rogue saw my ring. Had I not been wearing it we would have made it until help arrived. By the time help arrived, he was gone. After that I disappeared and came here. I had been living here a year before Jian moved into this house."

"But what about Justin?" Brittney asked. "What happened to him?"

"His body never turned up and it could have been anywhere. I tried to accept that he was gone but there was always this little spark that told me that he wasn't. As I was saying earlier, I moved here and went under the radar. I didn't want anyone to know where I was so I took on the persona of the old woman. But you knew something- that's why you were jealous of me. When I came here I locked away our weapons and didn't take them out again until the other night. Justin would have been upset to know that I hadn't trained nor cared for our weapons but I just couldn't bring myself to look at them."

"You thought that it was your fault that Justin got taken," Brittney said.

"I don't think- I know it is," Winona replied.

"How can you fight without a partner?" Brittney asked. "Jian said that slayers fought in pairs."

"In the field that is true," Winona said, "but there are many ways to serve. The one thing that I forgot and tried to forget when this whole thing started was once a slayer, always a slayer. As much as I wanted to deny it, I was duty bound to help Jian in any way that I could. Now for the good news- Justin is alive. I don't know where he is, what he's doing or when I'll see him; but he's alive. I now understand why I never mated with another slayer. I couldn't because he was alive."

Jian watched Brittney as Winona told her story. He hoped that the part about following orders would stick in her brain. There were several things that he wasn't concerned with. Brittney wouldn't want a public wedding. She might need a wedding, but it would be done at the courthouse. He also wasn't concerned about the ring issue. She never wore jewelry- not even a watch. The only visible thing that would indicate that they were mates would be the Chinese symbol for beloved and even that wouldn't be visible unless she wore something very revealing. That was something else that he didn't need to worry about. She was a very modest woman.

"So what I'm saying is," Winona was saying, "is that as hard as it may be, you need to listen to Jian. He's been around a lot longer than you have. You also have to remember that you're no longer responsible for yourself. We're all responsible for each other. By wearing that ring I put not just Justin in danger, but all of us. I know that they must have tortured him without mercy to find out what they could about us and I doubt that he told them anything. Even if he had the information would have been outdated. We all moved right after his capture. All I'm saying is that it's a change in mindset. You are as independent as I was and you don't have to give that up. It's a matter of knowing when to step back and let Jian make the decisions and when to exert your independence. The one thing that you have going for you is that you've known each other for so long. You already know how each other thinks. That puts you ahead of many mated couples who have been together for as long as you've known each other. Because I was so independent I had to learn how to completely trust Justin. You and Jian already have that trust."

"I'm sorry about what happened," Brittney said. "And I hope that you see him soon."

"Me too," Winona murmured with a small smile.

****

"Paul," Josh said. "Sit down- I want to tell you a few things."

He waited until Paul was sitting and began to talk.

"I know how hard this has been for you and I can't imagine what it must feel like not knowing what your family believes about you. I did something that I hope will at least ease your mind a little. I sent someone to your mother's home. They are worried about you but they don't believe that you hurt Amanda. They know how much you loved her and they are mourning her loss with you."

"Thank you," Paul said as tears of relief ran down his face. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Josh replied. "The second thing is regarding the services tomorrow. I cannot stress the importance of following my instructions to the letter. The service is at a location known only to slayers so once we are there all will be well. The dangerous part will be getting you there. The streets are swarming with Rogue, human rogue servants and the police looking for you. When we leave, you will wait in the house until I tell you to come out..."

"Wait... you just said that the streets are swarming with people looking for me."

"There will be a distraction." Josh explained. "I don't know what it will be but some of my fellow slayers are taking care of it. Once I call for you do not hesitate. Do not stop to look to see what is happening. Chances are that not all of those searching for you will be distracted. Get into the van and get on the floor. Do not sit up no matter what happens. Are there any questions?"

"No, I got it," Paul replied feeling like he was in a movie.

"Good. The next thing is what happens after the services. You won't be coming back here. You will be going with someone named Bruce. He and his employer are friends to the slayers and enemies of the rogue. He will take you to their home where you will be safe. The rogue may find out that you're there but they won't attempt to take you."

"Why not?" Paul asked.

"Robert is what we call an original," Paul explained. "He and those like him are what the rogue were before they changed. He is pure vampire whose line is the beginning of the vampire race no matter the species. They are also a friend to the human race. You will also be protected by a pair of slayers who will also serve another function. They will teach you self-defense, arm you and then discern if you have any other gifts. It is imperative that you do everything that they say."

"I understand- will I be able to talk to Brittney tomorrow?"

"Yes, there will be time allowed for that," Josh replied. "The last thing that I must tell you is that my name is not Josh. It is Justin Trump."

Paul quietly listened as Justin told him the reason for the name change.

"She thought that you were dead all of this time?" Paul asked.

"Yes and no," Justin replied. "She cannot sense me and that is an indication that I am dead but she didn't feel me die and my body has never been found. Those last two facts are what kept a glimmer of hope alive. She now knows that I am alive and I hope to see her soon."

"Damn..." Paul murmured temporarily forgetting his own grief.

"The last order of business is that we are going to begin your training tonight," Justin said. "The easiest weapon for you to learn will be the 'bo'. It is a six foot spear that will allow you to fight but will give you some distance from the enemy. Are you ready?"

Paul jumped out of his chair happy to be doing something besides sitting around and missing Amanda.

"Let's go!" he exclaimed.

****

Colt spent the day in hiding. He hoped that his master wouldn't call for him during the daytime. He did that once when he was very displeased about something. What it was, Colt couldn't remember, but he did remember the pain that he experienced that day. Even thinking about it made his cold, gray fish eyes water.

He huddled further into the corner of the basement of a vacant house alert for anyone entering the house. Finally he relaxed and let his mind drift. It was during these times that he could remember some of his life before he became what he was. He had no real recollection of his family or if he had been married and had children. He thought maybe that he did have children. It would explain why he was so protective of them. He didn't remember ever going to school but he was sure that he must have. His last real memory of being human was the night that he had been changed.

He was on his way home from-he couldn't remember, but it was nighttime and it was late. He couldn't remember where he was going, but he was a young man and unafraid of being out alone. He was carrying a sack-milk! He remembered. Someone needed milk and he decided to walk to get it. It wasn't cold out although he was wearing a jacket. He was three blocks away from home when he first heard the noise that sounded out of place. He stopped, looked around him and started walking again when the noise stopped. He made it to the corner and heard the noise again. Now he was nervous and cursing that he hadn't driven as....he couldn't remember her name had wanted him to. Suddenly someone- no something was standing in front of him. Before he could react, the thing was on him and dragging him to an alley.

He remembered trying to scream but no sound came out. The pain in his neck was excruciating as the creature bit and then began to frantically suck the life from him. His arms hung uselessly at his sides both of them broken by the creature's rough handling. Finally he blacked out from blood loss and pain after praying for his soul. When he woke up, he was in a dank, smelly basement chained to the wall. He tried to free himself but only succeeded in making his wrist bleed.

"You are awake," a smooth tenor voice said.

Colt licked his dry lips and tried to speak.

"I am now your master," the voice said. "You are replacing the servant that turned you without permission. He no longer lives."

"Please," Colt said. "I don't know what's going on here but could you let me go? My wife is waiting for me. I have children."

"That is not possible," the voice said. "By tomorrow evening you will no longer be as you were. My regret is that it was a lower rogue that turned you. There is nothing that can be done about that. I will however feed you my blood so that we are connected. You will be at my command and cannot deny me."

The rogue who called himself sire fed Colt and then left him alone in the dark basement. By the next evening, Matthew J. Colt was no longer himself. He tried to remember how long ago that had been but he couldn't. Nor could he explain why he went into connected human homes risking the wrath of his master.

He huddled down deeper into the corner and went to sleep.

****

Colt's master knew exactly where he was and let him rest. He had done exactly what he was supposed to do even though he didn't know it. The only thing that he wished was that the woman hadn't been connected to the slayers. But that wasn't Colt's fault therefore he wouldn't be punished. There was no way that he could have known and what were the odds of that happening? His simple plan had become quite complicated. The good thing was that no one knew that he was in town. Colt was a pawn and an acceptable collateral loss. Lower rogues could be made in no time.

"Good boy," master murmured as he turned to his goblet of blood. He preferred his straight and not diluted like the younger vampires. Still he recognized a money maker when he saw one. If all went well, Troy Cross, Xavier Dubois and the other two major competitors would be dead giving him most of the east coast to add to his overseas operations. He had to admit that he wasn't happy about some of the developments. The arrival of the bitch Cherie topped the list. The appearance of Jack Atkins was the other. The two of them together meant trouble add the slayers to that...

He finished his blood and prepared to rest. He was very old school preferring to rest in a coffin as opposed to a bed. He found that the confined space gave him a feeling of security that helped him think better. He had done enough watching. It was time to start manipulating events to his advantage.

****

Jack Atkins brushed his sandy blond hair back from his eyes as he reread his notes for the tenth time and then looked at the pictures he had taken on his phone. The lower rogue had been careless but relatively gentle with the female victim. It didn't make sense. Then there was the witness who was hiding somewhere in the city. He had to have had help. That was the only explanation for why he hadn't been spotted yet. He hadn't called his family in New Jersey nor had he made contact with the victims' sister at least as far as anyone could tell. But then, no one had seen her either.

"Where in the hell are you?" Jack murmured.

He looked up when he felt that he was being watched. He was used to it and shrugged it off. He spoke to no one not even to say hello unless he absolutely had to. He looked up to see who was watching him and saw the captain. The way that captain Nash was staring at him told him that he was about to have one of those times when he had to talk. He sighed, put his small notebook and cellphone in his pocket and walked over to the captain.

"Yes sir," he said politely.

"Step into my office, I need to ask you a few questions," the captain said and walked away.

Jack followed him in and took the offered seat.

"I like to get to know all of the men under my command and that includes the loners," The captain said. "For instance, I know that Montoya's grandmother is going to be celebrating her one-hundredth birthday tomorrow night. Ellis over there is going to pop the question to his girl next weekend- do you see what I'm saying? I know absolutely nothing about you other than basic information."

"What is it that you would like to know?" Jake asked. He wasn't fooled. He knew a fishing expedition when he saw one and he wondered which of the monsters Nash worked for. A fishing expedition went both ways.

"Do you have a family?" Nash asked.

"No and there is no one special in my life," Jack replied. "What about you? I see that one of your children is special needs- that must make things difficult. Do you work another job somewhere?"