The Very Best of Friends

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh what movie?" he asked.

"Deadpool, I missed it at the cinemas, and I am only finally getting to it now. I'm a bit of a comic geek. Only a bit, though," she said.

"I have to admit I haven't seen it yet but want to," he said. "I've heard lots of different reviews about it. Maybe I could come and watch it with you?" His Nan had lectured him again last night about life being too short and if he wanted to get to know Joanna better he should just do it and stop worrying about the business or their friends or whatever else was on his mind. Those things she said had a way of working themselves out.

"I promise I won't make fun of your jammies or whatever treats you might be eating. I'll even bring popcorn and Maltesers," he said hopefully. Melanie had also called him out on his interest in Joanna and had suggested he go over tonight as she wouldn't be home. The two women's advice combined were hard to resist, but his indecision saw him sitting outside his house and calling her from the car rather than just going in.

"I guess," she said uncertainly looking down at her old flannelette pyjama's and grimacing. "and only because you promised not to make fun of my jammies because I don't want to have a change now that I am all comfy. A robe is the most you can hope for to help keep the laughter at bay."

"I'll take my chances," he chuckled. "I'll also be there in less than a minute."

"Seriously? With popcorn and Maltesers?" She asked.

"No, that stuff's bad for you what sort of personal trainer would I be if I fed you crappy stale popcorn and cheap chocolate." He returned her question and knocked on her door. "You going to get that?"

"What?" she squeaked leaping from the couch and hurrying down the hallway to her room.

"I'm starting to think you didn't want me to come over," he said as he knocked again.

Good grief," she struggled with her robe and went to the door opening it with the phone still pressed to her ear.

"Hi," he said with a slow smile putting his phone away and handing her a box of dark chocolates.

"Thank you," she said not taking her eyes from him as she accepted the box. "Are you stalking me or something? Is there an alarm that goes off if I take the fatty foods out of my refrigerator?" She asked stepping back to let him in. She noticed that he smelled nice as he moved passed her into the bungalow.

"Something like that," he chuckled. Moving to sit on the couch and survey her treats. Joanna pulled her robe tighter around her body and followed him through to the living room. She had no idea what she was doing here with this man. Why hadn't she just said no? She held her arms around her body protectively as she took a seat at the other end of the couch.

"Oh gosh, where are my manners, would you like a drink or something?" She asked.

"Sure, do you have any of the light beer left?" he asked sounding comfortable being there with her.

"I do, I'll get you one," she started to get up.

"Stay there I'll get it," he said with a smile and leapt from the couch before she could get up. He came back and sat back down. "Alright, let's do this, before I'm compelled to comment on your jammies, what are they little sheep?"" he asked flipping up the bottom of her robe.

"You promised," she laughed and pressed play on the DVD.

"Okay," I'll be good," he chuckled with her as the familiar Fox Studios trumpets sounded to start the movie.

They started giggling from the opening credits and at times Joanna blushed, embarrassed to be giggling at some of the totally inappropriate comments made by the main charter. She went to get up part of the way through the movie to refill her wine glass, but he took it from her hand and went to fill it up for her. She opened the chocolates he had brought with him and placed them on the table beside the depleted plate they had already been snacking on throughout the first half of the movie.

"Relax," Matt said softly, "Here stretch your legs out I don't mind," he patted his lap, and she stretched her legs placing her feet on his lap. He massaged her feet and legs throughout the second half of the movie even getting up to replenish her wine and get himself another beer at one stage close to the end. Then pulled her feet back to his lap as he sat back down.

"I wasn't expecting a love story," Joanna laughed as the movie ended and they let the credits roll knowing Marvel movies usually held little eggs at the end of the credits.

"Practically bordered on a chick flick," Matta agreed with a perfectly straight face holding her legs in place as she went to withdraw them to sit up. "It was fun to watch it with a fellow Marvel lover," he said with a smile. He suddenly felt nervous with her.

Melanie had called him today and put him on the spot about whether he had a thing for Joanna. Admitting he was more than interested in getting to know her better had been hard as he didn't want this to become an issue with any of the women who had begun boot camp with him this week. Melanie had reassured him however that she wouldn't say anything if he would just man up and do something about because she was sure that Joanna felt the same way but would never follow through without a big push from someone, namely him. She also took the time to threaten that if he ever hurt Joanna, he would make his life miserable.

"Something wrong?" Joanna asked seeing his thoughtful expression.

"I was just thinking about the movie and that part where they said they were the same sort of crazy," he said. "That's why they were so good together."

"It sort of blasts the opposites attract theory out of the water," she said lightly.

"Yeah, I guess," he chuckled. "The thing is that getting to know you this week, I think you might be my kind of crazy," he blurted the words and looked at her seeing her shocked expression. "I know we're supposed to be all professional, but it's hard when I just want to kiss you again whenever I see you."

Joanna blinked at him unable to form words and her mind blank of anything coherent to say. She knew she felt the same way. She had thought about that kiss so often, but he was so sexy and handsome, and she couldn't quite believe what he had just said. She saw his face fall as she continued to stare at him dumbly.

"I've been thinking about that kiss too," she whispered self-consciously.

"You have?" he smiled and leaned toward her placing his arm along the back of the couch. "We should probably have a do-over then just to be sure it was as good as we remember it being." He moved as close as he could, given the awkward position she sat in and smiled softly. "It can't hurt and at the very least we'll know if we remember it properly."

She leaned forward to meet him part way and pressed her lips to his. She felt his hand cup the side of her neck and cheek and allowed the kiss to deepen naturally. He seemed in no hurry to stop kissing her and after long minutes where they continued to kiss and manoeuvre closer to each other he pulled back and smiled.

"Better than I remember," he whispered. Again all Joanna could do was nod dumbly. She couldn't quite believe that he was here kissing her. Wanting to kiss her. Wanting to be with her when she knew that he could have any girl he wanted, even Brittney had been interested in him when he had come into work.

"I," she stuttered, "I'm not sure what's happening here," she finally managed to say. "I mean I'm me, and you're..." she paused and ran a hand down his arm. "Well, you're so you." She said lamely not wanting to belabour their age difference.

"Well, what's happening here as far as I can see is two people who like hanging out with each other are seeing if maybe there might be a bit more than just a friendship between them," he bent his head and kissed her again. Having thought about it for the last week, now that he had opened the door between them, he planned to keep it open.

Joana felt like a teenager necking on the couch, half expecting someone to come in and interrupt them. She let her hands explore his body as his began to travel over her. She was protected by the thick robe and pyjamas and although she felt self-conscious she was enjoying the kisses so much she couldn't have stopped what was happening even if she wanted to. The thought frightened her to action, though, and she pushed on his chest lightly making him lean back and look at her.

"This is a lot to take in," she said. "I'm not silly enough to be making plans already, but I'm also not ready to go too fast. I've only slept with one man in my entire life. I'm not a prude but, it's a lot, you know?" She tried to explain willing him to understand. "I'm not like Carla," she said trying to make the comparison for him.

"I wouldn't be here if you were," he grinned. "I'm happy just kissing you for now," he said softly, sitting up realising she was having trouble coming to terms with what was happening.

"For now," she repeated wiggling back and propping her back against the armrest as he pulled her legs over his thighs again, only, this time, it was her knees, not her ankles that rested over his lap.

"I'm a guy, of course, I want more, but I won't pressure you," he said his voice still soft and a small smile turning up the corners of his mouth. "Well, I'll try not to pressure you too much. I will point out however that you could probably skip a boot camp session if you had a private workout with me," he chuckled and winked at her. He wanted her under no illusions that he wanted a relationship beyond friendship with her.

"I'm an old lady, shouldn't you be chasing women your age?" she asked hearing how it sounded as she spoke and hating herself for mentioning the disparity in their ages.

"You're not old, and if it doesn't it doesn't bother me that you've been alive a few years long than me why should it bother you?" She asked reasonably.

Joanna wanted to scoff at the word few but bit her tongue. She still couldn't quite believe that this was happening.

"There is one thing that bothers me a little," he said cautiously and reached out and took her hand. She looked up at him questioningly but didn't say anything. "While we're working this out and laying the ground rules so to speak, could we keep your interfering but well-meaning friends out of the loop. I'd like to keep the boot camps professional if I can, and I'm not sure having them know how much I want to get into your pants every time I see you would give me that professional aura I need." He watched a range of emotions flicker over her face. "Except Melanie of course, I expect she had already guessed as much."

"You're right about my friends," she said finally. "Mel's good she won't tell anyone if we don't wake up tomorrow and regret this." Truth be told she was glad he had said this and while initially, she had thought it was because he was embarrassed to be seen as a couple in public she could understand why he had said it. She didn't particularly want anyone to know she had lost her mind and was kissing this sexy young man who held her hand so tenderly. "Let's rule out my workplace at the same time as yours then," she laughed lightly.

"Thanks," he said letting out the breath he had been holding. "I thought you might have been a little upset about that. It's not that I don't want people to know, you can come and hang out at my place or with my mates anytime you like."

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I mean we've only just kissed for the first time," she said.

"Yeah but in my head, we've done a whole lot more in the last week," he waggled his eyebrows making her laugh.

"I'm not quite there yet," she giggled. "So maybe it's better if you go home and give me some space to think about everything."

"Alright, I get the hint. I don't mind staying the night and helping you think about what a great idea this is, though, just saying" he said hopefully. "You're pretty sexy in these cute jammies." He slid his hand up the leg of her pyjama pants.

"One of us has to be rational we can't both be crazy," she laughed.

"We can if your kind of crazy matches my kind of crazy, like a puzzle with those wavy lines," he said quoting the movie.

"What if you're really crazy and think you can sleep with all of my friends who are doing the boot camp including me?" She asked with a smile not thinking that he was capable of that.

"Ow!" he clutched his chest. "I'm mortally wounded. Man down, man down!" He collapsed back onto the couch.

"Stop that," she laughed. "Try and see it from my point of view. Here's this hot guy claiming he wants to sleep with me? A frumpy woman from the suburbs, I'm not sophisticated or sexy or even famous like my friends. You must see what I'm saying here," she said reasonably.

"Okay well, you're not obsessed with your career to the point of not being able to talk about anything else. You're not famous, so you don't have to be hiding from media or stalkers, and you don't have to share your affections with the fans. The sexy part we're going to have to disagree on because I can't wait to see what you're hiding behind underneath all those layers," he said dismissing all her words.

"Smooth talking, very smooth," she drawled.

"Look," he said taking her hand. "Did you know that when you smile our whole face lights up like someone turned a switch on. You smile with your eyes even before your lips know it's coming," he placed his fingers under her chin and ran a thumb over her lips. "It was one of the first things I noticed about you which was difficult because you hide it more often than you show it."

She could hear the sincerity in his voice and could see it in his expression and when he bent to kiss her she couldn't help but smile. "There it is," he murmured and kissed her. "I don't know what I can say to convince you other than that I am here arguing with you rather than going to see Carla who all but gave me an engraved invitation."

He was right, and she knew he was right. They were both adults who could do as they pleased. He wasn't asking her to marry him. He just wanted some fun. She could have fun, couldn't she? It wasn't like she had suitors beating down her door.

"You might have just saved yourself there, but it was a close call after you called me sexy," she murmured smiling into the kiss.

"If we could just get rid of a few layers of clothing I guarantee what is under there is sexy. You forget I get to see you every day in lycra," he chuckled. "I have a pretty good idea about this sexy body already but losing a few of these layers right now would be spectacular."

"So much for no pressure," she laughed pushing him away.

"It's not pressure. It's enthusiasm," he laughed with her. "Okay, I'll go but how about a second date tomorrow, I plan something casual. Maybe introduce you to Steve, the fount of all my wisdom," he chuckled.

"I don't know that I'm ready for that either," she laughed as he untangled himself from her legs and stood up pulling her up from the couch with him. Kissing her he took her hand in his and walked to the door.

"Boot camp tomorrow, unless you're planning on a private workout with me tomorrow night," he teased and winked at her.

"Who knows? With my time frame a smart man might encourage me to do both," she teased back.

"Don't get me all excited and then shoot me down again," he murmured pulling her close. "You wouldn't want to see me cry." He grinned and kissed her again not wanting to leave. "You know we've had a date every day this week, since I first kissed you, that old third date rule expired a few days ago."

"You're persistent," she laughed.

"Is it working?" he asked.

"Maybe but I need a night to wrap my head around it. If I invited you to stay tonight, I'm not sure how I would feel about that in the morning. If you go then we can talk without all that between us in the morning," she tried to explain. "What if it's awful and the chemistry isn't there? I've only ever slept with one man." Her fears all rose to the surface as she stood there in the hallway with him. He could hear her insecurity in her voice.

"You know those reasons aren't going to go away overnight?" he said wrapping his arms around her. "Whether it's tonight or a week from now or a month from now those same worries are going to be there," he said. "Maybe you'll deal with them better, and maybe you won't, but they aren't going to go away until we find out the answers for ourselves.

"I'm not ready. I know it sounds silly, but I feel like a school kid, I mean I know what sex is, and I've done it but not like this, with someone like you I just feel...," she ran out of words before she could admit to being scared.

"If it helps this is new territory for me too," Matt admitted. He felt for her and continued to hug her close. "I'm usually the one pursued. I've never had to convince to convince a woman to sleep with me before," he chuckled. "I've never been with anyone like you before, but I do know I want to, and if that means waiting a little while longer, then that's how it has to be."

"Thank you, for understanding," she said into his chest. "You must think I'm crazy."

"Yeah but you're my kind of crazy," she chuckled and loosened his grip on her. "Just don't make me wait too long." He bent his head and kissed her goodbye letting himself out and smiling at her before closing the door behind him. She watched him drive away from her bedroom window before going to clean up the living room smiling in a goofy way and wishing she could call Melanie. In the end, she sent her a text, "I kissed Matt tonight. A LOT."

Her phone rang within seconds of sending the text, and she lay on her bed telling Melanie about everything that had happened and how she had sent him home.

*****

At boot camp the following morning she went through the program like she would on any other day. He didn't treat her any differently to any other day or spend more time with her than her friends. Although she knew that this was what they had agreed on, she was disheartened that there was no recognition at all that they had shared a moment the night before. Being at Joanna's house, there was no opportunity to talk to him where one of the girls wouldn't overhear them so when the session ended she grabbed her new exercise bag and readied to leave as Carla helped him pack up his equipment on the back patio.

Maybe he had changed his mind about being willing to wait until she was ready. He'd said he'd never had to work to get a girl into bed before. He probably came to his senses overnight she lamented unzipping the bag and seeing a small white unicorn with a small note attached to it. She quickly found her keys and zipped the bag up again, looking around to make sure no one else had noticed. She hugged Joanna goodbye and went out to her car. Resisting the urge to look at it immediately she drove a few blocks away before pulling over, her curiosity getting the better of her.

She opened the bag and pulled out the small stuff creature and pulled the note from it. "When I thought about you last night I touched myself," she read bursting out laughing at the lewd reference to the movie they had watched together. "PS pick you up at six for date night." She smiled and put the toy away again, letting herself enjoy the goofy grin that sprang to her face as she texted him. "Thank you, maximum effort." She hoped he got the reference she sent back.

She drove straight home and walked into her bedroom stripping off her active wear and stood in front of her mirror in her underwear. "Shit," she said out loud. "You're not even comfortable being nude in front of your reflection how are you ever going to be comfortable with Matt, who wants your old body, let alone Michael at the wedding who you know will be judging you." She raged at her reflection.

She took off her bra and made herself look at the reflection. Her full breasts didn't sag as much as she thought they did from her daily vantage point. She cupped them weighing them and pushing them up as a bra would and found they looked odd in that position without the garment.

1...56789...14