When You're Near Me

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It seemed to Krista that Jessie was on the move before the ball was even hit. She watched her friend take a running leap to her left and reached out with her right-gloved hand. In mid-air and with her back slightly twisted away from the hard hit ball, Jessie stretched for all she was worth and caught the ball with the tip of her glove. She landed with a thug but miraculously held onto the ball. Dust spit up on her face but the happy blonde jumped up, holding the ball high for everyone to see. The game was over and the Cougars were finally the champions.

Everyone on the team gathered around the second basemen, celebrating their victory. Jessie was all smiles as she tried to wipe off the dust from her face and shoulder.

Their coach, Steve, came running out on the field and lifted Jessie up in the air as Jack watched from the stands. He was happy for the team he sponsored for their well-deserved victory. Jack figured he better head on to the bar where they were sure to gather. On his way down the bleachers, he bumped up against Ashley. "Hi there."

"Oh, hi." Ashley was distracted but greeted the bar owner. "Excuse me."

Jack smiled as Ashley hopped down the bleachers and onto the field.

Ashley made her way across the field with a nervous but determined expression on her face. The brunette ploughed her way through several team members to get to Jessie. When she reached the blonde, Ashley hugged her and they laughed as the brunette tried to wipe away the residual dirt on the blonde's face. "Here let me."

Jessie delighted in the brunette's touch on her face. The blonde stood quietly allowing Ashley's ministrations to soothe her and broaden her smile.

Seeing the smile on the blonde's face, Ashley shyly asked. "What?"

"Nothing." Jessie shrugged. "You. I'm glad you came."

"Me, too." With hope in her heart, Ashley stepped closer to Jessie and looked into the blonde's loving, blue eyes and the world faded away. There in that moment, Ashley found the courage to do what she had dreamed of doing the first time she saw Jessie. The brunette cupped the side of the blonde's face and asked. "May I kiss you?"

After a quick flick of her eyes to Ashley's waiting lips, Jessie stared deeply into her love's eyes and leaned in. When Jessie abruptly stopped her forward movement, Ashley sucked in a concerned breath. Reassuring hands squeezed Ashley's hips and Jessie asked. "You do know what this means?"

"Yes."

"If I kiss you then your lips will never touch another."

"And neither will yours." With that Ashley closed the distance and professed her eternal love in that passionate kiss.

The sounds of cheering teammates invaded their privacy as several players yelled. "Way to go, Jessie."

Krista slapped her friend on the back and laughed. "It's about time."

Blushing, Ashley buried her head against Jessie's shoulder as the blonde protected the woman she loved. Jessie soothed the shy woman in her arms as she drew slow circles on the small of Ashley's back.

Krista recognized this moment between her two friends as a time for some privacy so she motioned for her boyfriend to help her herd the small group away from Jessie and Ashley.

Ashley finally looked up into Jessie's eyes and smiled. "Hi."

"Hi, yourself." Jessie then leaned in to steal another soft kiss. "So, this does mean what I think it means?"

Ashley shrugged. "That depends."

Jessie arched an eyebrow, silently asking the brunette to continue.

Ashley took a deep breath, looked down and whispered. "If you'll still have me. I'm sorry for..."

Her explanation was cut short as Jessie lifted Ashley's chin with her finger so she can look into the brunette's green eyes. "Shh... you don't have to explain." Jessie wiped away a lone tear that ran down Ashley's cheek.

Ashley simply nodded her head and said the three words that Jessie longed to hear. "I love you."

A huge grin found it's way to Jessie's face. "I love you, too, sweetheart." Wanting to assure her love completely and alleviate any tension Ashley might have been feeling, Jessie leaned in conspiratorially and whispered. "Don't go using this against me cause I might have to do something drastic, but... I would probably forgive you anything."

Ashley realized that Jessie was trying to lighten the moment and make her feel better about being distant for the last few days and smiled. "Something drastic, huh?"

With a devilish smile on her face, Jessie said. "Yeah, something like this." Jessie picked Ashley up and twirled her around.

The brunette laughed while begging Jessie to put her down.

Finally, Jessie relented and placed Ashley solidly on the ground, still holding onto the brunette. She leaned down to kiss Ashley's neck softly and whispered. "Or do something like make love to you right here."

That thought caused Ashley to involuntarily shudder.

"Oh, I think you like that idea." Jessie teased.

When Jessie pulled Ashley closer, the brunette placed a loving arm between them. "As much as that idea appeals to me... I don't want our first time to be on a softball field, honey."

Jessie realized fully what Ashley meant and leaned her head against the brunette's forehead.

"I love you." Ashley whispered, happy to say those three words again.

"You do?" Jessie believed the brunette but delighted in hearing those words again.

"Yes, I do. I have for a long time. I was just too scared to admit it." Ashley revealed her heart.

Knowing that she, too, was afraid of admitting her love for Ashley, Jessie sighed. "Well, I'm glad you did because I've loved you for a long time, too." Pulling the brunette closer, the blonde whispered. "Now let's get out of here and celebrate."

However, Ashley demanded one more thing and they shared a gentle kiss filled with hopes and dreams before leaving the field to catch up with the rest of the team.

Chapter Twenty

The celebration as Belle's was in full swing by the time Jessie led Ashley through the door. The blonde considered letting her love's hand go but Ashley held on tight which pleased Jessie immensely. The older woman was astute enough to realize that she should let Ashley lead the way when it came to their public outings.

Krista was there with offered drinks for the new couple. "Here ya go."

"Thanks." Jessie handed the first bottle to Ashley then accepted the second one.

When Krista made a huge deal out of Jessie's incredible play to end the game, the blonde was slightly embarrassed. Ashley held on to her, comforting her as the entire team praised the second baseman.

Jessie started to back away from all the attention. However, Ashley kept the blonde firmly in place, whispering. "You deserve it."

Smiling, the blonde winked at Ashley before making a toast of her own. "To Shae."

The tall first baseman crunched her eyebrows together in suspicion.

"You're the one that got us our only run." Jessie delighted in diverting the attention off of her as Shae easily stepped into the spotlight, soaking it in.

Ashley leaned in so only Jessie could hear. "You did that on purpose."

Turning to face her love, the blonde's blue eyes twinkled. "Yep. Cause I wanted to be alone with you."

"You do?" The brunette was leaning up against the slightly taller woman.

"Uh huh." Jessie placed her drink on the table and slipped her free hand around Ashley's waist. "Dance with me."

Krista saw it coming a mile away and was prepared. She had just pushed the buttons on the jukebox and it was once again playing their song.

Having declared her love for Jessie and the fact that Ashley felt at ease among friends at Belle's, she fell easily into the blonde's arms. The music filled the room with the sweet, melodic voice of Jackie Bristow as she sang, 'When You're Near Me'.

Refusing to leave each other's side, they danced during several other numbers, not caring that two of them were fast songs. Ashley was having a wonderful time dancing with her love but she longed to be alone with Jessie. She brushed her lips against the older woman's ear and whispered. "Take me home."

Smiling, Jessie swung her love around one last time and grabbed Ashley's hand. They bid their farewells with Krista's help since no one wanted them to leave.

Jessie opened the driver's door for Ashley, allowing the younger woman to hop in then nudged her over so she could drive. "You mind?"

"Nah." Ashley didn't need to consider that decision at all since it left both her hands free to roam where they wanted on the drive home. She scooted close to her love, leaning against Jessie as the blonde started the truck.

Jessie glanced at Ashley, as she turned left on the main road in town. "I was thinking we'd go to my place."

Nodding, the brunette smiled. "But don't I need some clothes first?"

"Don't know why... you're always wearing my clothes anyway." Jessie placed her hand on Ashley's thigh and squeezed. "But I guess we do need to pick up Makayla." She made a right turn at the next stop and headed toward Ashley's apartment.

Within fifteen minutes, they were winding down the long driveway to Jessie's home. The blonde sighed, wondering how she was going to bring up the idea of them living together. Stopping the truck in front of her home, Jessie turned toward Ashley. Smiling, she stared at the brunette for the longest time.I wonder if she'll think it's too soon. For Jessie, now wouldn't be soon enough. She knew whom she wanted. And now that she had fully committed herself to the beauty sitting next to her, the blonde couldn't wait to start their life together.

Feeling a bit concerned at the curious smile on her love's face, Ashley asked suspiciously. "What?"

"Nothin'." Jessie leaned in and kissed Ashley. "I'm just glad you're here. Come on, let's go inside."

Makayla jumped from the truck and made a quick round of the place as always before bouncing up the stairs, following her two best friends inside.

The last few days were wrought with overwhelming emotions for Ashley and Jessie and both women sought the nearness of each other. Intuitively, they knew what each other needed and craved in that moment.

After a quick shower by Jessie, the blonde walked slowly over to a waiting Ashley sitting on the bed. "You okay?"

"Yeah." Ashley had her hands cupped on her lap. She offered Jessie a tentative smile before dropping her eyes.

Jessie slid down on the bed next to the brunette. The blonde placed a comforting arm around her love. "I love you."

Ashley leaned against the blonde. "I love you, too."

They sat there for a long time holding each other until Makayla jumped on the bed.

Jessie glared at the uninvited guest. "Am I gonna have to get used to this?"

Seeing her dog take up residence on the far side at the foot of the bed, Ashley laughed. "Do you mind?"

Sucking in a deep breath, Jessie rolled her eyes in mock disapproval. "I suppose you two come as a package."

"We do." Ashley worried just a wee bit about Jessie's response.

A slow smile formed on the blonde's face. "I guess I could get used to it. But..." Jessie held up a lone finger to prove her point and she placed her forehead against Ashley's. "There will be times when we will need some serious alone time and I mean absolutely alone."

Ashley giggled, her eyes never leaving the blonde. "Makayla? We're gonna to need to have a long talk."

The black Lab's head shot up in keen concern. She knew something had just transpired between the two humans and it wasn't going to bode well for her. Makayla dropped her head back down since neither Jessie nor Ashley was paying her attention. For tonight, she'd get her way.

Ashley tugged at Jessie. "Come on. I want to hold you."

Jessie fell easily against the brunette, wrapped safely in the arms of her love. The blonde let out a deep sigh. Ashley made her feel safe like she would never be hurt as along as the brunette held her.

Ashley lay on her back with Jessie tucked up against her side. When Jessie draped a long leg over Ashley's legs, the brunette pulled the blonde even closer. The ambient light from the moon outside cast a light haze over the blonde's face. Ashley stared deeply into Jessie's blue eyes and saw her whole world.How am I gonna tell her I want to be with her like this every night from now on?

The silence of the night lulled the two tired women to sleep.

************************

After a long, lazy morning in bed cuddling with each other, Jessie finally persuaded Ashley to get up. It seemed her woman loved to sleep late, which didn't bother the blonde at all. Having bribed Ashley with breakfast first, the two spent the day together never more than inches from each other.

As Ashley held Jessie while sitting on the far side of the porch, the brunette mused over how everyone around them could see the inevitable while they continued on with their façade of being 'just friends'.

Seeing the smiling face of her love, Jessie asked. "What's on your mind?"

Ashley brushed her lips against the blonde's cheek. "Us... how naïve we were about what was really going on between us."

Jessie dropped her head on her love's shoulder. "I'm sorta glad though."

The brunette pulled her head back a bit. "Really?"

Not looking up, Jessie continued. "Yes. It gave us time to be friends first."

Nodding, Ashley understood that completely, remembering several lines from her essay. "First and foremost, we'll be friends. Because in bad times, our friendship will help keep us together and our love for each other will see us through it."

"Exactly." Jessie snuggled closer.

A long, silent moment passed before Ashley finally spoke again. "It's getting late. I suppose I should go." The brunette brushed her lips against Jessie's temple then whispered. "But I don't wanna."

The blonde perked up when she heard those words. Twisting around her love's arms, Jessie hurriedly said. "Then don't! Stay..." The blonde cast her eyes downward, finishing her sentence. "...stay forever."

Surprised and yet relieved at Jessie's invitation, the younger woman hesitated. "Really?" The blonde shyly nodded. "But all my stuff is at my apartment."

Jessie drew in a deep breath and spoke from her heart. "What if all of your stuff was at my place?" She caught herself then quickly corrected her words. "Our place?"

"Does this mean what I think it does?"

Nodding rapidly, Jessie stammered her response. "I know it's.. well, sorta quick but... Ash?"

"Yes?" Ashley's penetrating green eyes soared through the blonde's heart.

Gazing into her love's beautiful eyes, her words fell out unimpeded. "God, I love you."

"I love you, too, hon." Ashley stole a tender kiss.

"And to tell you the truth..." Suddenly, Jessie was extremely shy at having to admit her weakness. "... I don't think I'd get a wink of sleep without you near me."

That produced a huge grin on Ashley's face. "Me neither."

Excited, Jessie sat up. "So?"

"Is next weekend too soon?" The brunette was confused at the slight disappoint on Jessie's face.

"That long, huh?"

Pulling her love closer, Ashley laughed. "Don't worry. I don't plan on sleeping alone ever again."

Relieved, Jessie dropped her head on the younger woman's shoulder and sighed in pure delight.

***********************

True to her word, Ashley spent the night with Jessie after they retrieved a few articles of clothing and personal effects from her apartment.

Monday night at Ashley's last soccer game, Jessie nervously ran her hands together.

Andrew finally asked. "Something on your mind?"

Not taking her eyes off Ashley, the blonde shrugged. "I haven't been out on a date in ages."

Nodding, Andrew leaned back and propped his feet on the bleacher seat in front of him. "You came to the right place."

Questioning eyebrows turned toward the young man. "Oh, you've had lots of experience asking women out?"

"I get around." The impishly cocky young man grinned at the blonde before he winked. "Seriously, you thinking of asking my sister out?"

A slow grinned bloomed on the blonde's face. "Yeah. It will be our first official date."

"Okay, here's what you do. You take her out to a nice place. You know, talk sweet to her and make her feel wanted. Next then you..." Andrew's young and overly sexual mind produced several erotic fantasies of his own when it dawned on him that he was giving advice to the person that was going to date his sister. "... never mind about the next part." He touched Jessie on the arm. "She loves romance. Very romantic."

Smiling, a flood of little romantic things Ashley did crowded her mind. "That I know."

Finally, the young man gave the best advice ever given. "Just be yourself. She loves you just the way you are."

The blonde's eyes remained on Ashley as she kicked the ball hard across the field to Morgan.

Shaking his head, Andrew chuckled as he glanced at the nervous blonde.I wonder if she knows that Ashley has plans to ask her out, too.

***********************

That night in bed both women contemplated on how to ask the other one out. The way it had worked out between the two, they were in love with each other even before they had their first official date.

"Ash?" Jessie crossed her leg over the brunette.

A long, lazy finger absent-mindedly traced the healed tattoo on Jessie's back. "Hmm?"

"I was thinking that..." Jessie didn't know why it was so hard to ask the question that had been on her mind for the last two days.

"Yes?" Ashley's lips brushed against the blonde's head. Her own mind was pondering the question braced on the tip of her tongue.

"Well... wondering really..."

"Me, too." Ashley said without thinking.

"Really? What were you thinking?" Happy for the short reprieve from having to find the courage to ask her love out on a date, Jessie looked up at Ashley.

"Huh? Oh. No, you first." Ashley barely evaded the blonde's question.

"You first." Jessie insisted.

Shaking her head, Ashley turned slightly on her side. "You first. You started to say something. Go on."

Caught, Jessie recalled her planned words. "I was wondering...hoping really if you'd..." The blonde temporarily got lost in Ashley's eyes. "Wanna go grocery shopping with me tomorrow night?"

Ashley didn't have a clue as to what Jessie was about to ask her yet the offer of shopping for groceries was the last thing on her mind. "Yes, actually, I'd love to."

Jessie let out the breath she knew she was holding, dropped her head on Ashley's chest and sighed. "Good." But the blonde was chastising herself for her failure to ask Ashley out on a real date.Great. Our first date is going shopping for food. Her eyebrows crunched together in deep thought.Food can be sexy though.

************************

Ashley pushed the cart down the aisle behind Jessie. They quickly discovered the foods they had in common and on what types of food they differed.

When Ashley tossed a bag of gummy bears in the cart, Jessie frowned. "I should have known you'd like all the weird stuff."

"What do you mean?"

"Peanut butter on pancakes. That was big clue." Jessie giggled before adding some several other items to the cart.

Shaking her head, Ashley decided to ignore the blonde. Her mind was on asking the blonde out for Friday night. She perused the shelves as they wandered down the next aisle with all the baking supplies located there. Her mind wasn't on food as her eyes scanned the packages of nuts and then landed on a box of dates. "Dates."

Jessie turned around. "What'd you say?"

"Uh. Nothin'."

The blonde closed the distance between them. "No. You said something. What was it?"

Pointing at the top shelf, Ashley shrugged. "The box of dates."

"You like dates?"

Green captured blue and Ashley's eyes were telling. "Yes. All kinds."