Woodland Creatures

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He smiled, nodding. "You're welcome. Your aunt was a very kind woman and I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thanks." I didn't feel like I deserved the sympathy, but I took it.

"I'd better be off."

"Do you need any money for whatever it is you're buying?" I asked.

He shook his head. "No, I've got it covered." I was surprised by his kindness and smiled broadly at him.

Offering him a short wave, I went back up to the house, grabbing my suit case from the trunk of the rental before going inside. Even in the darkness, I could see the heavy layer of dust covering everything. Dust motes floated through the drafts of sun sifting through the window. Sighing loudly, I turned some lights on and opened the curtains, shedding light upon the darkened space. The feeling dissipated and I felt more comfortable, yet I needed to run, needed a burst of energy to deal with the rest of the day.

I wandered down the hall, locating my aunt's bedroom. The room was decorated to her taste: lots of floral print, paintings of cats on the walls and a few crocheted blankets thrown over an armchair. Again, another dismal sigh. Although odd in herself, I loved my eccentric aunt and another pang of guilt flooded me. Turning, I shut the door and crossed the hall to the other open bedroom door. It was mostly empty, save a neatly made bed. I threw my suitcase on the small full-sized mattress. After changing into a pair of shorts and running shoes, filling my water bottle at the tap, I tossed the water and a granola bar into my little backpack. I left the house and bounded down past the alpaca pen. Bert's truck was gone, and I assumed he went off to the store to find whatever it was he thought would make the alpaca feel better.

Pine needles crunched beneath my Nikes and the warmth from the summer sun shifted through the tree branches above, casting various splays of green in front of me as I walked. The air was decadent, smelling of pine, fresh rain, and damp earth. There were fern bushes everywhere I looked, along with madrona trees and old oaks sprouting far into the sky, their leaves just beginning to turn crimson and orange. I pumped my legs and began to run the thin trail, engulfed by the sounds of the wildlife around me. It was a stark contrast to running back home, the air fresh and clean rather than bogged down with pungent car exhaust and fast food restaurants. I ran for a few minutes, cherishing the tranquility.

Sweat dripping from my face, I sat down on an old long, propping my feet up on a rock in front of me before opening my backpack. After a greedy sip of water, I leaned back, taking a deep breath of the earthy air. Several birds fluttered overhead, slipping through the thick branches of trees spanning the canopy. I smiled to myself and found myself in a predicament. As much as I needed the money, the brief thought of staying and taking up residence in my aunt's old home crossed my mind. The peace and serenity of the island was amazing, and I found myself longing to stay. Surely, I could work remotely from the location with a decent enough Wi-Fi connection.

But, I couldn't. I couldn't leave my home just because I had a temporary affinity for the beauty of nature that would likely pass. Soon, I'd find the endearing wildlife annoying, the constant rain obnoxious and inconvenient, and I'd long for the hustle and madness of life in the city.

Suddenly, the forest quieted and I looked around. The croaking of frogs had ceased, the trees devoid of the countless birds that had just been flying around. Complete silence. I figured perhaps a predator was near, maybe a coyote.

A large, gray and whitish brown spotted creature emerged from the green foliage and I had to clasp my hand over my mouth. Enormous paws touched the ground without a sound as the lynx came into full view. Pointed ears moved around, rapidly taking in the noises around it. I sat completely still, cursing myself mentally for not having my phone in my hand to take a picture. She was breathtaking. I assumed it was a she because of the beauty the creature held but in reality, I had no idea. Her nose flared, sniffing the air and her head turned toward me, locking eyes with me. I couldn't hold in my gasp when she stared at me with such intensity. We were both frozen, staring at one another. Then, she dashed away, hopping through the brush on swift feet. I rose from the fallen tree and had a half thought to chase her, but I simply watched her disappear in the thick forest.

I wanted to chase her, feel the wind rushing at my face but instead, I sighed and headed back to my aunt's house. When I arrived, Bert was standing by the pen, face full of worry.

"What's up?" I asked as I bounded over to him.

"I called the vet. I think she's got an infection," Bert said. He explained to me the symptoms and I just nodded, not understanding half of what he was telling me.

I headed back up to the house and took a quick shower, feeling refreshed enough to continue with my day. If I wanted to sell the property, I knew I'd have to go through all of my aunt's belongings, pack crap up and either get rid of it or somehow transport it back home. It was a daunting prospect, especially as I was only to be there for a few days and I longed for my mother to be there to help me. It was strange growing up—all of my friends in school had family, if not two parents in the house, they had aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins. I had one aunt. That's it. No grandparents, no father, no siblings. My mom was very tightlipped about our family and I always wondered. Nothing could've prepared me for the reasons why she withheld information from me. More on that later.

It was close to three in the afternoon when the vet finally showed up. I stayed in the cottage, looking out the window as she exited her truck and met Bert in front of the pen. The side of her truck read the name of the veterinarian clinic as well as her name: Dr. Lee Gonzales. My first thought was how strikingly handsome she was. Up to that point in my life, my relationships consisted of random flings and those were intense, though limited. I enjoyed my solitude, going to work, coming home, and being done with my day. I didn't need to complicate things with a relationship. Anyway, as I peeked around the curtain a fourth time, I couldn't ignore the flutter of attraction I felt for the stranger. She was taller than Bert, who was roughly the same size as me. Dark hair pulled back in a small ponytail, dark scrubs and lean figure. Phew, I was fanning myself and it had nothing to do with the lack of air conditioning in the house as autumn was upon us.

I stood awkwardly at the door, gripping the threshold. God, she was stunning, and I felt my face heat as I acknowledged how fascinated I was to her. Up close, I could see that although her hair was straight, it was textured, and she styled it messy with purpose. "Hi," I muttered, offering her a weird smile.

She smiled, hands in the pockets of her black scrub pants. "Hi. You're Karen's niece?"

"Yep, Brooklyn Cole and you're Dr. Gonzales?" I couldn't recall the last time I was so struck by someone. Yes, I had my guiltless nights of indulgence with women but never found myself so enthralled at first sight.

"Yeah but please just call me Lee." Her smile was infectious, little dimples appearing on both of her cheeks before her face dropped. She could've been twenty-five but the fact she was a well-established veterinarian with her own practice had me assuming she was probably closer to thirty-five, ten years my senior. "Hazel has an infection on her left hindquarters. I've already given her a dose of antibiotics, but she'll need another one in twelve hours. Do you think you can handle giving a shot?"

"No, I don't think so," I said. Worrying my lower lip, I shifted position, trying to avert my eyes from her figure.What the hell is wrong with me? I wondered. I was totally off my normal game.

"That's all right. I can come back tonight and give her the dose. I can come in the morning as well if it's okay with you. I'm confident Bert can do it, but he and his wife are heading down to Seattle for the weekend."

"Are you sure it won't be any trouble?" I asked dubiously.

"Nah, I live right up the street, so it isn't out of my way." There was that smile again, and I was smitten.

The way her dark eyes raked over my body as she blatantly checked me out may have me irritated had she been a man. But there was something in her confident survey that had my heart quickening and my palms sweaty. Even in her baggy medical attire I could make out her slight curves despite her lean physique, her muscular biceps peeking beneath the sleeves of her charcoal colored scrub top. I wanted her to hold me against the wall with those arms. Wow, where didthat come from, I wondered. Her gaze met mine and I absently wondered if she was appreciating my blue eyes. They were one of my favorite attributes, most people commenting on them after meeting me. Cheeks blazing, I smiled, recalling we were mid-conversation before we began to check each other out.

"Only if you're sure. I don't want to inconvenience you," I said. Truth is, I probably could give an animal a shot, but I wanted to see her again.

"It's fine, really. I'll be back around midnight for the second dose and I'll be quiet in case you're sleeping." Although she spoke as if she were leaving, she hadn't moved a muscle. Our gazes were locked and something ethereal passed through us. At the time I had no idea what was happening.

Just as she opened her mouth to speak, Bert came walking up to the front porch. "Thanks again, Lee. I wasn't sure if that cut on her leg was the problem or not."

"It looks like a bite to me. Maybe a coyote or something got in the pen at night," she said, turning away from me to grab her bag.

"Could it have been a lynx? I saw one this morning when I went for a run right after I arrived," I said, recalling the beautiful creature.

Lee faced me again with a quizzical expression, eyes narrowing.

"No, we don't have lynxes around here--not on the islands. It might've been a bobcat you saw. They're pretty docile and don't typically go after bigger animals," Bert answered.

"He's right. The department of fish and wildlife released a few bobcats into the area to cut down the rabbit and squirrel populations a few years back. There aren't any lynxes around here," Lee said, winking at me. Let the flirting commence, I thought.

"I'm certain it was a lynx. This thing was huge and couldn't have been just a bobcat or coyote."

"Coyotes can get pretty big," Bert added.

"There's no way it was a lynx. They can't just hop the ferry and ride over to the island. Since that's the only way they could get here save swimming through the Puget sound, pretty sure it was a bobcat." Her tone was arrogant and challenging. I always liked a challenge.

Though we'd just met, I saw an opportunity and took it. "I bet I could prove it," I said.

She smirked at me, pulling the strap of her bag over her shoulder. "Okay, then. I'll look forward to a photo of this lynx. I'll see you later this evening, Ms. Cole." With that said, she winked at me again before heading to her vehicle. I stared at her backside until she hopped into the cab of her truck.

Bert cleared his throat. "I've got to head out soon. The wife and I are heading to Seattle this weekend for a show. Do call if you need anything. The number you have for me is a cell and I can always answer any questions you have. I know Lee would be more than willing to help out as well if you can't reach me."

He let me know he fed the alpacas and tended to all their needs for the day, handing me a long sheet of paper with a list of things that I needed to do for the animals while he was away. I couldn't believe how kind the people of the island were, and I thanked him for his help.

By the time I was alone on the property, my stomach was growling. I headed into town, finding the family owned grocery store only with the assistance of GPS. Fleetingly, I hoped I'd see Lee again while in town and the thought made me take pause. I didn't even know the woman, why was I hoping to see her again so soon when she'd be by to treat the alpaca that very night? It was strange, this unfurling of desire within me. It was a rarity for me to feel such attraction to anyone, such a tenacious need rather than the normal need to conquer. I shook it off, blaming my sudden passion on little sleep and even less food.

I purchased a few microwavable meals and junk food, hoping to be out of the state and on my way home on Monday morning. I had a meeting with my aunt's lawyer Friday morning, which was the next day, to go over the proper paperwork to allow the transfer of ownership. I'd know for sure how long the process would take to sell after I'd spoken to her. I drove back to the cottage, the music blaring. I wondered where Lee lived, as she'd told me she was just up the road. Ah, there I went again thinking about the alluring stranger. But, seriously, I couldn't stop thinking about her. I found it unsettling how often she'd came to mind in the last few hours.

***

The house was quiet as the sun set and I was thankful the cable and internet still worked as the dense woods around me were unnerving. After eating a hearty dinner of a somewhat healthy frozen entree, I roamed the empty house, taking in the details of my aunt's life. It was odd, looking at the decorations she had up, the fine china in the hutch secured to the dining room wall. I'd always assumed she didn't have a home, as my mother told me my aunt traveled the world for work. She'd visited when I was small, always bringing my mother trinkets from her travels.

Tiny glass wolves lined the mantel of the fireplace in the living room, each a different art style. Some cartoonish, some quite realistic. My mother always said her sister was eccentric and odd, rarely getting into much detail about why she felt this way. Although I'd spent a scarce amount of time with Aunt Karen, I always enjoyed her company. Her cheery smile that warmed the entire room, her bright eyes and tight hugs. She always told me we needed to stick together. "Everyone needs a pack," she'd say. Mom didn't feel the same way. I'd overheard them arguing a few times, mom telling Aunt Karen not to visit again. It was too dangerous, she'd said. I never understood what she meant.

A thick stack of folders sat on the small desk, a slip of paper resting on top. As I picked up the sleeve of paper, a small trinket fell from the stack. I reached my hand out and caught it before the glass figurine hit the floor. The sharp teeth on the glass wolf pierced my finger and blood beaded down my hand. "Damn it." The wolf was frozen in a snarl, teeth a shining porcelain. I grabbed a tissue from my aunt's bedside table and dabbed at the cut, inspecting the base of the wolf. I found it eerie yet beautiful. The wolf itself was gray with vibrant green glass eyes, its fixed stare mesmerizing.

I picked up the paper, my eyes scanning the words.

My dearest niece,

By the time you read this, I'll have passed on to the great forest in the sky. I hope you can find use of my earthly possessions. I'm sorry we never had the proper time to get to know one another but I'm sure you're as wonderful and headstrong as your mother. Do what you want with my property. It is no matter to me what happens to the land as long as you find loving homes for Brownie, Hazel, and Candy. They mean a great deal to me and I would roll over in my grave if anything happened to them.

I've opened an account for you as well as placed you as sole recipient of my life insurance policy and the remaining balances to all accounts in my possession. Don't worry, my attorney Miranda, will help you sort through everything. The important documents are already with her but there are copies of everything you might need in the folders beneath this note. Not only are there copies of legal forms, there is a family tree and a detailed genealogy record I've been working on for some time now. It may shed some light on the ambiguity surrounding our family. I'd hoped to be able to share some of the secrets your mother—

The sound of tires over the gravel outside yanked my attention from the note in my hands. I peered through the blinds and saw Lee's truck pulling to a stop in front of the house. She cut the engine and I hurried out of my aunt's room, heading to the front door. Feeling like a creeper, I watched out the window as she lugged her bag over her shoulder and walked down to the fenced area. She disappeared into the darkness. How the hell could she see anything? I carefully placed the wolf figurine on my aunt's bed along with the note from her, determined I'd finish reading it later that evening.

I opened the door, the light from the entryway spilling out over the darkened driveway. Lee walked up from the pen, bag slung over her shoulder. She lifted her head and caught me staring and I blushed, hoping she couldn't see my crimson cheeks in the night. "Hi," I called, figuring it would extend the strangeness of my behavior if I hadn't said anything.

She grinned as she stepped up onto the porch, dumping the bag onto the wooden stairs. "Hey. Hazel seems to be doing better. I've got to stop by tomorrow morning before I head to the clinic to give her another dose. I'm thinking maybe a few more days will do."

I nodded. "Do you want to come in for tea or something?" I asked before I thought about it. Was there even tea in the kitchen?

"I'd love to," Lee said. I moved out of the way and she stepped in.

After rummaging through the cupboards, I finally found a box of various teabags and started the kettle I found deep in a cabinet. We sat across from each other at the tiny table in the kitchen, Lee smiling faintly at me. Maybe I wasn't the only one feeling the sudden desire. "So, you knew my aunt?"

She nodded. "Yes. I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thanks. I wish she would've told me she was sick. I hadn't seen her in years, so I was somewhat surprised to learn I'd inherited all of this," I said, gesturing to the house. "Were you two close?"

She stared at me for a moment, blinking a few times before she sighed. "We were. I helped with the animals from time to time when she had to leave on business."

"This is embarrassing—I don't even know what she did for a living," I admitted.

"Not your fault. I know she was a very private person and didn't share with me what she did. I do know she had to travel, a lot of those trips taking her to Europe."

After she told me a funny story about my aunt and her alpacas, she asked, "What are you planning on doing with the property?"

I leaned back in the chair. "Before I got here, I was dead set on selling it."

"But now that you're here?" she asked. The kettle whistled loudly and I got up without answering. Now that I was there, I couldn't deny the beauty of the island. Even being there for only twenty-four hours had to longing to stay. I poured the hot water into the two mugs before I brought them both to the table. Lee chose a tea packet from the box and I tossed a chamomile into my mug. "Thanks," she said.

"Orcas is a beautiful island and the house is paid off. I may just keep it as a vacation spot, maybe sell some of the acreage." I hadn't thought about it until I spoke.

She nodded thoughtfully, stirring her mug with a spoon. "Good idea. There's a lot of land to this property and most of it is woods." Looking up from the table, she smiled. "Your aunt loved her privacy and the forest."

We talked about the island, Lee telling me she'd been living there for the last five years after being offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to take over one of the veterinarian clinics.