A Dedication to Her Craft Pt. 01

Story Info
When nudity and more is necessary.
14.3k words
4.45
48.1k
52
2

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 10/10/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
barkirk
barkirk
3,067 Followers

Walt and Diane looked around the showroom assessing the competition. This was the biggest mattress store in the entire region, selling all 4 of the top brands except for the Simpson Scientific Sleep System. They were posing as a couple in hopes of seeing why this one store moved so many units as compared to every other store.

Drew looked over at the couple at the door tentatively looking around and saw his co-worker was heading over before going back to the young newlyweds he'd been showing the latest in sleep comfort. "I'd tell you to sleep on it, but let's face it, a futon on the floor pretty much makes that impossible." He saw the look they gave each other, "Can I be blunt? Are you looking for a good night's sleep or a good night?" He nodded seeing their look and how red the pretty blonde got, "Look, it's pretty obvious. A young couple like yourselves...right now, sleep isn't perhaps the most important thing you are looking for in a mattress, and believe me, that's how it should be." He pointed around the room, "Every one of these companies stresses how great a night's sleep you'll get with this technology or that, but isn't a mattress used for more than that? A bed is a lot of things and you really have to consider all of it when making an investment like this, reading, playing with the kids, you know... Let me show you something." He turned and heard the girl whisper to her husband with a giggle as he headed over to a mattress by the window.

Walt glanced over at the salesman with the cute young couple and saw how he had them listening to his every word, and yet became perfectly attentive while they talked, asked questions. He turned as a salesman walked up, "Hey, we're just looking around...not quite ready to turn in the old mattress, but just need to see what's out there."

"Sure, go ahead and try them out. Sleep technology is advancing all the time." Jim said looking at the couple. If you need anything, just let me know."

"Thanks, oh, one thing. What brands do you sell?" Diane asked.

"We have the top four selling brands in the market." He listed the major manufacturers.

"What about the Simpson? I've heard it's very expensive, but some say it's worth it." Diane asked.

Jim looked at the couple and grinned, "Very expensive, but a lot of it is marketing. They sell you on custom construction when basically what you'll get is no different than finding the perfect match from an existing mattress. You want cooling technology, check out the Linear over there. You want firmness, the Excaliber is as good as it gets. Right here, you have the fully adjustable unit with individual settings for both sides. Let's face it, a lot of what the Simpson provides you'll find somewhere here." He looked at the couple and shrugged, "On the other hand, if you spring for the Simpson and you'll make more use of it since it sure eats up a lot of your disposable income."

"Thanks, that's very helpful. We'll just look around." Walt said with a smile. After Jim went back to his office he turned to Diane, "Well, that's pretty much what I expected. We need to revisit our marketing focus." He turned, hearing the young blonde ask about the Simpson.

"I heard the couple over there ask about the Simpson, I've heard it's twice as much as any top-end mattress out there, do you know anything about them?" The young girl asked Drew.

"Sure, they're great mattresses, or actually as the call themselves, sleep systems. You know we've talked about firmness, cooling, adjustability? All the differences between all these beds?" Drew swept his arm around the store, "Imagine being able to have it all. They not only custom make every sleep system for each person, but they also use dynamic technology that each user can dramatically modify the behavior of the system on the fly." He grinned knowingly at the couple, "Again, perhaps a bit blunt but a super-soft bed might be great for sleeping, but a bit, um, inefficient for certain other important uses of a mattress." He saw how the girl blushed, "The Simpson can be programmed not only for the individual but for whatever activity or activities you might have in mind."

"But you don't sell the Simpson." The young man responded looking at the salesman, "I mean, it sounds like you're selling it."

Drew shook his head, "If the Simpson is what you folks want, I would urge you to get it," He looked around the showroom, "we have nothing here that can fully compete. All I can say is we hope to come really close to whatever your needs are, but I could never promise you we'd be able to fulfill all your needs. The Simpson is probably the closest you'll find to the perfect bed." He sadly shook his head, "But you'll have to rationalize the added cost for everything they provide. Personally? I'd spend it if I had it. They say you spend a third of your lifetime in bed..." he looked at them knowingly, "...sleeping. I love Simpson and what they develop. Their technology will always trickle down. A lot of what you see here was first developed by those guys."

The young man spoke quietly, "Um, ok. What if Sherrie likes it, you know, from behind?"

"Billy!" the beet red girl hissed as she slapped his arm.

"That's what you should be asking," Drew looked at the couple. "Come over here where it might be a bit more private, but you're asking the right questions." He led them into the corner. "Ok, doggy style? Yes, I was going to suggest the Excaliber for you since you want firmness, but the Serenity with the pillowtop makes a lot more sense. Ever get done with vigorous intimacy and your knees and elbows hurt? The Serenity has the firmness of the Excaliber but cushioning for your knees. Also, with the tri-gauge springs it is incredibly stable, check this out." He pushed the foot of a mattress and they saw the mattress rocked forward four inches. Then he led them across to the other side and told them to push hard on the foot of that mattress. The bed barely rocked.

Blushing, the girl leaned over and asked quietly, "Ok, just out of curiosity, are there mattresses better for sex than others?"

"Great question. These we looked at are really geared for side-sleepers. Not great for the non-sleep activities. This one, and of course the Serenity are really great for some of the more-aerobic activities."

The girl giggled, "I like that term. So much less embarrassing."

"And I assume the Simpson is great for both?" Billy asked.

The young blonde pulled her husband close, "Forget it. We both really like the Serenity and it's a third the price of the Simpson. Maybe after we wear this one out..." She said as she stroked her husband's arm. "How soon can we get it?"

Walt and Diane watched as the salesman walked the couple over to fill out the paperwork. "Ok, that was amazing. We need to find out who that guy is. Sold that couple on a mattress while saying nothing but good things about the competition."

***********************************************

"Hi, I'm Drew. You don't look like you need a mattress, but what can I do for you?" he smiled, "Jim said you wanted to talk to me?"

"Why don't you think we are looking for a bed?" Walt asked.

"Sorry, it's just that couples looking around are dressed for flopping down, rolling around, getting a feel of the bed, you know. Plus, whatever you're sleeping on is working. No sign of neck cricks, achy joints. Both walking fluidly and pardon my bluntness, no bags under your eyes." He looked at them both, "When you walked in, I was thinking competition checking us out or buying for a friend." He looked at their hands, "You are married," he commented to the woman, "happily I can see, and you are not married."

Diane laughed, "Ok, do you check out everyone who comes in like that? How do you know I'm happily married, and perhaps he doesn't like wedding rings."

"You use your left hand to indicate things. You're proud of your rings, and well you should be. At least a 1-carat diamond set in a custom setting, platinum. He has an indent but has not worn his for at least a year. I'm not going to ask."

"Perhaps we're having an affair." Diane prompted, "We could be, I could be unhappily married but love the rings and maybe if I'm unhappy I'm looking for happiness with him.

"Could be, but sorry, you show no attraction to each other. Strictly business, plus you never actually looked at or got the feel of a single mattress in here. You checked out the signage, the staff and, well perhaps the general atmosphere of the store. When you go undercover, spying, it would be better to be a bit touchy-feely. Couples who mattress shop tend to touch each other a bit more than those who are looking at, say cars, or septic tanks." He smiled.

"Ok, you got us," Diane replied. She pointed to a middle-aged couple talking to Jim. "Them?"

"Dressed to check out mattresses. She's wearing designer and a tee-shirt, he's not wearing a three-piece," he glanced at the man, "Theirs is most likely an ultra-soft mattress from one or the other's previous marriage. He has sore hips, a side-sleeper on an overly firm mattress and see how he keeps trying to crack his neck? She's happy to get rid of the bed she and her ex shared and get something less firm to make him happy. See how she keeps putting her hand on his arm, he touches her lower back? Those are possessive signs, but also signs of intimacy. They are in the wrong store, though." Drew added, looking back at the couple.

"Why? Where should they be?" Walt asked.

"Number one, look at what they drove up in," he nodded towards the German sports car, "Number two, they may be wearing super-casual clothes, but his shoes, Berluti I assume, and hers, Jimmy Choos." He shrugged, "They are not compromisers. They can afford and want the best. I'd send them over to the Simpson store." He looked back at the couple, "I'd spend time with them of course, it's possible we have the exact bed for their needs, but I'd be sure to mention other alternatives early to see if they're wasting their time." Drew looked at the couple, "So, tell me what brings you into Sleep Center?"

"Can you take a break, perhaps lunch?" Walt asked, "You were pretty much right on." He fingered his empty ring finger.

***********************************************

Drew took the offered seat and looked expectantly at the two, "So Simpson?," seeing them nod, he continued, "I thought so. Why did you come into our store? We're not really your competition." He looked at both, "I really admire what you've put together. Great materials, great product."

"Actually, your store sells the most mattresses in the state. So, we wanted to see what you're doing. You know, perhaps our sales staff could be better trained, maybe our marketing." Walt looked at Diane, "But we think it's a lot to do with you."

"Me? Not really. We have a great staff and though they are not Simpsons, we carry solid lines that work well." Drew replied.

"Diane made a few calls, you've been there two years? Your store went from 17th to first in sales, nationally."

"But what I found interesting is that you're the top salesperson, but only by a slim margin. Why is that?" Diane asked.

"Ok, wow. How did you get all that information so easily?" He looked at them, "Never mind. One thing I'd like to correct, I don't consider myself a salesman, I'm a troubleshooter. People don't come into the store, any store with their lives perfect. They have something amiss, something broken. I troubleshoot and suggest a solution. Whether it fits or not has a lot to do with how honest they are and how carefully I listen. But making sales is important in our line of work. Most of our pay does come through commission. Sure, we work for that % and I could be that guy, the one who stands by the door and grabs the customer before they have time to breathe, but that's not very nice to them, plus it makes them open up less. Two things bug the shopper, being ignored and being pounced on. Let them come in, get the lay of the land, hell, let them approach Lexi if they want a female associate, Jim if they like his demeanor. But for my customers within a minute, I like at least do a walk by, greet them, make some sort of non-sales comment and appear unthreatening. I always like to look like I'm going to that side of the store for another reason, go over and straighten a sign that's been bothering me, or refill some brochures. Then ask them what brings them in. That puts the customer at ease, makes them open up more." He looked at the couple, "But, others I work with hate to see a customer unattended. So, many times I'm not the one to get the sale." He didn't look upset about it.

"So, let's say you don't have a customer and Jim perhaps doesn't know the answer, does he engage you?" Diane asked.

"All the time. We are a great team. All of us step in as needed." He looked happy, "Best group I've ever worked with."

"No stolen commissions? What about return customers? Say Jim talks to a couple, they go home to think about it and Jim's not there when he returns?" Walt asked, "Who gets the commission?"

"Jim, no question about it. I know what you're thinking. They come back in, have a few more questions and I spend an hour with them. I close the sale...right?" He shook his head, "Still Jim's. They came back because they liked what he said, showed them. He sold them on the store." He looked at the two, "Is that why we're here? To see if you can pick my brain about sales techniques?"

Walt looked right at Drew, "We came to see how the store did things, but soon it became apparent the difference is you." He stuck out his hand, "Walt Keller, CEO, Simpson. This is Diane Arnolds, CMO, Chief Marketing Officer," he nodded to his colleague.

Drew shook each hand, "Drew Larson, I'm impressed. I expected a couple of director levels to be sent out. Hands-on, impressive," he nodded

Diane smiled, "I agree with Walt. After listening to you, it has become apparent we need a different approach to how we are structured. We have me, the marketing department, Robert, who heads up sales, the store managers and on. Anyhow, we all work together, but side-by-side rather than integrated. Walt and I talked and we'd like to offer you an opportunity. This is really a rough sketch of what we envision, but if we had you manage our store over on Park Lane, give you free rein to rehire as necessary, train as needed, suggest marketing that fits your clientele, even sets a pay structure that you think provides the best motivation and enhances sales, I'm sorry, solutions." She watched as Walt slid over a folded piece of paper.

Drew picked up the paper and looked at each. "Ok, this is a surprise." He thought a minute and slipped the paper in his pocket without looking at it. "I really am intrigued. Let me talk it over with my wife. I hope this is not a 'we need an answer now' kind of offer."

Walt laughed, "Not at all. Perhaps before the end of the year, but please, take your time." He looked at the man's pocket, "You didn't look at the offer, aren't you curious?"

Drew laughed, "I see only sincerity from both of you. The offer isn't really the dollar amount, it's the opportunity, the challenge. That's what I'm going to mull over. I'll walk into the store with Laura, my wife, look around, see where you are. If I can't see any obvious areas I can perhaps enhance, this might not work out. This will only be a good move if I can actually make things better overall. Plus, this will mean a lifestyle change as this will come with longer hours, that's a given, and I'd like to know what Laura thinks." He padded his pocket, "This can't factor in until after I decide."

Diane asked, "What does your wife do?"

"She's an actress, pretty good, but can't seem to land that big part. She's been in a few of the prime-time series," he rattled off a dozen or so.

"I watch Dead-Line religiously, which episode, what part?" Walt asked, "Great show."

"Last season, episode four, I think. We have them all on our DVR. Anyhow, she played the woman accused of hiring the hitman to kill her husband, you know in a way that made it look like an accident."

"Wait, the tall blonde? Diane, I told you her name, Larson, yes, Laura Larson. Of course." He said, "She is good, really good. Amazing I haven't seen her in some blockbuster."

"Thanks, she'll be thrilled that someone checked out her name. A lot of times she's 'that blonde,' but I agree, I think she is a really good actress."

Diane pulled out a business card, "Walt gave me her name as a potential actress in case we expand our marketing to television."

***********************************************

Laura greeted her husband with a hug, "You're taking me to dinner. Three auditions and nothing." She sighed, "am I wasting my time?"

Drew hugged his beautiful wife and stroked her back, "Sure, Luigi's? I remember you telling me about that crime drama and the sorority comedy, but what was the third? And no, you're not. You've had a lot of good parts in some really great series. You'll get that one role that will kick off your career."

"Thanks, you've been really patient. Anyhow, Teddy called and said while I was at the studio there's a role in a new movie by Massey. I wanted to hug him over the phone...best agent ever. Anyhow I did the first two readings and they said they loved me, but I was too pretty. Too pretty? I can do not pretty, you've seen me first thing in the morning!" She sputtered.

Drew thought about his wife and could see why the casting directors might have an issue with that. She is a knockout, even compared to most actresses in LA. They cannot have a bit-part player outshine the stars. Tall, long straight natural golden blonde hair, 5'10, long legs, lithe form, perfect ass with girlish hips. Her boobs are not huge, but still nice...very nice according to Jim. C-cups and firm. He knew that many of the casting directors assumed she had them done, but nope. He thought about what Jim said about her body after seeing her braless, in a thin tee shirt working in the garden, 'Many women wear bras that perfectly shape their breasts and not that seeing bare breasts is a letdown, let's just say that they'll never look as good unsupported. Laura has tits that look just as perfect unsupported as supported.' He envisioned the first time he'd seen them in the flesh, perky, full, jutting out erotically from her narrow ribcage above a super-narrow waist. He thought about the roles she'd turned down because they required nudity and as much as he respected that, he knew out here it is almost impossible to get cast as an unknown without that being expected. On the other hand, he suspected many wanted her to bare all during casting simply to see her naked. There was that role in an animated G-rated movie where they asked her to read her lines in just bra and panties and she was just to be the voice of the princess. The explanation was her character was supposed to sound more sultry.

He kissed his wife, "So, what about the Massey movie?"

"They had me read a hooker. The dialogue was ok, but the reading was tough." She hesitated, "It was with the lead actor, Henry Martin, yes him. I had to simulate giving him a blowjob in the back of his car while he was completing a business deal." She stopped, "I was fully clothed as was he, but after they said they loved it, they asked if I could do it without clothes, or at least topless to add realism." She teared up, "When I said no, they dismissed me." She looked at her husband, "Should I have done it? I would have been a pretty large bit part in a Massey movie. Teddy was pissed."

"I can't answer that for you. I told you to expect that." He wiped the tears gently off her cheeks with his thumbs, "I think you have to face reality. It's either nudity to get your break, or hell, it's not going to be easy in this town." He paused, "Personally, I have no idea how'd I feel seeing you naked up on the screen, or for than matter if fans were to come up to you asking for an autograph, would I be thinking about how they'd be thinking how great you look naked?" He shook his, head, "But in reality, we all have to make sacrifices for our crafts. We all do, no job is perfect."

barkirk
barkirk
3,067 Followers