A Time to Be Young

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You are speaking to me."

"Only because I'm your sister and I know you. But not everyone's going to be like me."

"One would hope not."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Who wants to live in a world where everyone was the same? Sounds boring."

Ok, he got her. She smiled and her smile seemed to infect him and he broadened his lips a bit into a smirk.

"I get your point but just don't go off the deep end and be too different all at once. Ok."

"I will take your request to heart." he said.

Jill looked at him and tried to think of what she should say next. She should ask about the money again but he would just dodge again. "Well, ok. Big sister advice finished. Remember, you have class tomorrow and I am going to call here to find out if you actually went or not. I don't care if you won the lottery or invented some software to get rich, you still have to go to class."

"Incidentally, your wishes and my intentions on this occasion line up."

"So, you'll go to class."

"Not for the reason you specified but yes I will go."

"Thank you." Jill said with her voice and also her face showing how much appreciation she had that he would stop fighting her and just agree. "By the way, when did you learn Sign language?"

"I had a need to learn it a very long time ago. You used to work in the services industry. Certainly you have had deaf customers. One would think you would all want to learn it. There are millions of deaf people around you. Is it that you want not to talk to them?"

"You're guilt tripping me into learning Sign language?"

"There are between 4000 and 6000 languages on this world. I'm not saying learn all of them, but certainly more than one wouldn't hurt and there are people who speak Sign living right here so it isn't like you have to travel far."

"Ok. Can you teach me?"

"I would be happy to teach you. I am available at your service anytime."

"Ok, but not while I'm at work and not when you should be in class. I mean it. And no more giving money to Bridget."

"Cleavage girl?"

"Don't call her that."

"Not my fault that's how I remember her. She's the one who showed them to me."

"Stop it. I'm not talking about my coworker's cleavage with my little brother."

"Would you prefer we discuss your cleavage instead?"

"With a smooth pickup line like that you're going to get slapped if you use it on anyone else."

"I used it not on anyone else, only you. Yet a conversation about your cleavage would be a very short one at this moment as I have very little information to go on."

"You're seriously asking me to show you my cleavage?"

"Isn't this a fun little game?"

"No. And this is exactly the kind of thing that you need to stop doing or you're going to get in trouble."

David started to laugh. "Trouble." He laughed some more as his smile widened to show his teeth. "At least my life won't be boring."

"Well, if I hear that you didn't go to class or that you gave any more money to Bridget then you're going to be in so much trouble with me, mister, that you're life will never be boring again."

"Oh, now I'm tempted to skip just to see what you will do. Dear sister, I like this. Yes, quite exciting."

"You already said you would go. Keep your word."

"Well, no one has ever been able to justly call me a liar."

Jill wanted to keep it at that so she decided to cut it there but she had a firm mind to really call and make sure he went to class. Before getting up she surprised herself by hugging her brother as he sat there not hugging her back. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too." he replied. "You would not believe how much I missed you."

"With fucking Helen running your life I can only imagine."

Jill got up to leave and her brother waved goodbye to her. She tried not to look back at him but then just as she was getting to the sidewalk next to the road she couldn't help herself and she turned back to get one last look at him and maybe wag her finger at him to remind him to go to class.

Trip.

She hadn't put her foot right as she came off the curve by the flag pole and fell to the pavement. Ouch. She started to get herself up when suddenly she saw a car coming right at her. The driver must not have seen her fall. Jill winced.

The car came to a sudden stop, which seemed strange to Jill as the tires were spinning in place. Jill got to her feet and then the driver, who looked panicked, got the car out of drive and then got out.

"Are you ok? Did I hit you?"

"No, ma'am." Jill said.

"Oh, my god." the woman said as she ran to Jill and put her arms around her. "I'm so sorry."

"I'm fine. I am." Jill insisted. She looked off in the distance and saw David looking back at her. Then he turned and walked away without even saying anything.

...

On Monday morning Lilith awoke next to Paul in his bed. She was surprised by that but also equally surprised by the fact that she had been there in his arms all night and he hadn't made any kind of sexual advance towards her. She looked at him as he slept and he really did have a strong resemblance to her dad if her dad were to put on makeup and wear a fake beard. Yet, even as much as he looked like her father it didn't prevent the feelings that were growing inside of her. She gazed on Paul and she knew she respected him. No, it was more than that. She liked him. She really liked him. It wasn't just an affection of familiar relation, she liked him like she might like any other boy who showed an interest in her. She started to develop the telltale smile of a school girl crush.

Doubt started to fill her almost instantly. They were related, though. But distantly. They had the same last name already, though. Come to think of it, that was weird. Why would that be? She laughed. Her cousin Bill must have met a woman who's last name was already Jackson unless Paul's mother was just that loopy as to give her son the same last name as his father even though they weren't together. She could only imagine how hard it must have been for him growing up. And to think that instead of Bill being the one to give guidance to Paul it was instead Lilith's dad. Like always, he was there for everyone but when he needed help everyone turned their backs on him.

Then again, when she had been talking about her father the night before Paul had defended his namesake. Paul seemed to really care and respect her father and that made Lilith like him even more. She was really starting to like him more and more as she thought of it.

She looked away as the doubt came to her again. What if he couldn't like her that way because they were related? It would be bad if she put herself out there and he rejected her. That would ruin everything. But the weren't that closely related. And of course no one knew they were related. Even her mother had had no idea who this Paul was so well guarded was Bill's secret. And then, instead of being here as a student, Paul was here as just a worker trying to save up enough to pay for college. It was so unfair but he wasn't complaining about it.

Lilith looked back at Paul and watched him sleeping there. She leaned in close to him and kissed him on the cheek.

...

Jill saw her brother wounded with a broken rib hiding in the tall grass as men with the faces of dogs hunted for him. Her brother was looking intensely at one spot and then Jill saw what it was he could see. There was a trap set there and the dog men were about to walk into it. The trap sprung and a branch with spikes attached to it swung up and hit one of the dog men hard enough to knock him off of his feet. David jumped to his feet and rushed over to see what damage he'd done to his enemy but then he saw that his spikes had not penetrated the hunter's armor. David turned to flee but the dog men were on him and there was a struggle. It pained Jill to have to watch this as she heard David scream for them to get away from him.

Jill wished she could look away. She wished she could wake up. These dreams were so real and so vivid. They weren't just blurry images. These were like VR films in 9K. She could smell the blood and feel the wind pressing her skin.

"It's just a dream." she said as she watched David fight his two attackers. "This isn't real. I talked to him just yesterday. This isn't real."

One of the dog men sounded like he'd been hurt and Jill saw David with a stone knife in his hand fighting for control of it with the other dog man. The dog man was barking some strange language to the other one who was limping as he tried to get back to his feet.

Then to Jill's surprise there was some kind of escape of air and both David and the dog man he was fighting with in the grass went limp. The other dog man was catching up to them and spoke something when a metal sword came up from the grass through a gap in the armor and the dog let out a death call and fell. Jill saw David scramble away until there was enough grass between him and the dead bodies that he could not see them anymore. He sat there on his knees with his butt on his feet looking down at the blood on his hands.

"What have I done?" he asked himself as an accusation filled with despair and grief. He started to sob and almost put his hands on his face but then was startled and repulsed by them as he realized and remembered that they were covered in blood. "What have I done?"

...

After bidding Lilith a good day Paul got to work in the small RA office in the lobby. The sun wasn't even up yet but one student, instead of coming into the lobby from the hall was entering from the front doors.

"I see you had a good time last night." Paul said.

"It was very pleasant. Good, sir, have I any messages?"

"Let me look. Helen called for you twice. The note has important written on it."

"I see. Anything else?"

"No, just that. Say, were you ever able to get a hold of your sister?"

"Ah, yes, I spoke with Jill yesterday in fact. She's very nice."

"I don't need you to try and set me up or nothing."

The boy laughed.

Paul saw a chance to change the topic and took it. "With all the money your family has I'm guessing you won't be around here long."

"I admit I was initially apprehensive about coming but now that I am here I find there are many things to like. I may be stuck here indefinitely but that isn't a reason not to enjoy it."

"What do you mean stuck here?"

"I'll probably grow old and die here. Won't that be funny."

"You plan on being a student the rest of your life?"

"Indeed not. You?"

"Not a student, just an RA."

"And what is you plan for after you are no longer an RA?"

"Well, I'll have to give that some thought. I don't recon I know. I'm a bit lost as to what I should do even now. I guess a lot of things depend. What do you want to do? What are you majoring in?"

"I would like to retire."

"Retire? Well, I guess you have the money for it. But you're young. Even if you don't go get a job you have to do something useful with your life."

"Have you ever heard of this Flash Gordon character?"

"Yeah. Who hasn't?"

"Imagine if you will powerful old king Osric promoted to Emperor of Earth. Ah, now that would be a very wonderful retirement. Something to look forward to."

"Emperor of Earth?"

"If men dream of less they achieve less. If they dream of more then they earn far beyond anyone's expectation."

...

Simerata found it easy enough to hide in plain sight as she charmed men for their resources in order to further her aims. She didn't know the language of these people but it was easy enough to hear their unguarded thoughts and make them believe she could speak to them though she was only projecting her meaning into their minds.

She had only been on this place called Earth for a few days and already she had found adequate attire to look like one of them and she was quickly picking up the mannerisms she would need to use.

It seemed very unlikely that her old master would be in this place but her scrying had led her here. Already she could tell quite well that her master must have moved on or this world would not be as it was. There were kings and presidents and faction leaders all claiming authority over this part or that part. Her magic told her that her former master was here but what she knew of his character told her something was wrong. He would not tolerate such a state of disorder.

As she searched for him her magic told her something else as well. His aura she did not find in places of power such as the palaces of princes. Her magic had brought her to some inconsequential place of learning but there was no magic being taught. She followed the trace of the aura but stopped before continuing to her target.

"What are you doing here?" a gruff voice whispered to her from the foliage.

"Which sorcerer have you killed to get a spell to bring you here?"

The gruff voice laughed. "I will claim the prize alone. You should not be here."

"You've come to kill him then?"

"So have you."

"And you're just waiting here like a coward hoping he will stroll past you as if he were that stupid."

"Be gone witch. I won't say anything more to you."

"You haven't found him yet, have you?"

"I said be gone."

"This is amusing. I tell you what, when I am done with him I will let you see his lifeless body but only for a moment before I trap you here for the rest of your existence."

"Foul woman, you stink and your smell is blinding my senses. Be gone."

"Of course elegance is foul to those born in shit."

He growled but did not attack. Simerata continued on to the building in front of her. Poor Averium was trying to sniff out the master but she could see the inner being of these people and she could see who was not who they appeared to be. She entered the building finding herself very much dressed wrongly for this context. She was wearing a very elegant evening gown of black sheer fabric while the young people around her were in denim and cotton tshirts.

It didn't take long. Her master could not hide from her. He must have been severely weakened by his trip to this place because she could not see any of his former power about him. He was as weak and helpless as all the rest of these humans. But there was no denying it, he was the old man with a young body. It was very clear to her. And also he seemed to not recognize her as she approached the counter that separated them.

"Hello" she said by giving that meaning to his mind.

"Hi. May I help you?"

He doesn't know who he really is, Simerata discovered. His mind has been wiped it seemed. Perhaps the mages were able to do more than just banish him.

"I'm looking for someone." she said.

"May I have his name?"

"Oh, he could be going by almost any name. Actually, I was wondering what your name was. You seem to be just the kind of man I'm looking for."

The young man grinned. "Well, I don't know why you'd be looking for me."

"Why do you think?" she said as she put on her sexual charms.

"You seem very nice and you're very attractive but I'm at work just now. I'm sorry to disappoint you."

"It's not disappointment."

"Maybe give me your number and when I get off I can give you a call. My name's Paul, by the way."

"Yes, I know who you are."

"You do?"

"I know everything."

The young man stood there not sure what to say. "I would really like to ask you more about that cause I don't know much."

"Yes, it's obvious. You're confused."

"I'm not sure if I should say this but are we talking about the same thing? What do you think I'm confused about?"

She reached for him and grabbed him by the jaw. She held him as she examined his face. "Yes, you are young now but you were old not long ago."

"You know about that?" Paul asked as he allowed her to examine him the way a patient submits to the prodding of a doctor. "Can you help me?"

Simerata didn't understand the question at first. "What is it you need my help with?"

"How long does this last? What do I have to do? How do I turn back?"

"You wish to be old again?" It sounded stupid even just thinking it.

"I'm supposed to be old. ... Aren't I?"

She began to laugh. In this state he was already dead, she only needed to wait a century. Maybe less even. He was mortal. "I can not help you. But don't worry. Your youth will fade soon enough."

"It will?"

"In 50 years you will be as you were before."

"50 years!"

Simerata looked at him and understood why Averium could not find the old emperor. He was only an empty shell of what he once was. He was dead already with no memory of what he had once been. Still, it would be better to dispatch him now while he was in the weakened state as a preventative against his memory and power returning.

"I need to learn more about what has happened to you."

Paul nodded.

"I will be back." she said and then she walked off.

"Another 50 years." she heard him say as she headed for the door.

...

Jill found David in the classroom exactly where he should be. It had been a very difficult decision that morning but she'd called into work and told them that she wouldn't be coming in that day and perhaps not ever again. The manager was very surprised by this but Jill explained that something very big had come up in her family and she needed to take care of it. The manager didn't want to let Jill off the hook and insisted that Jill come in and give a proper two weeks notice. Jill then lied and said she was actually out of town and couldn't make it back even if she wanted to.

After that she was off to the college to find her brother. She had thirty thousand dollars and that was enough for now and it gave her plenty of time to beg the diner to take her back or find another job. Hell, she could just study and finally finish her GED if she wanted. But all of that would have to wait for another day. For this day she was going to be at this college and make sure her brother was in school even if she had to sit next to him all day.

"Hi bro. What class are you waiting for?"

"The beautiful and sexy Jill has come to see me again. I assume you no longer have any employment serving others and can now devote all your time to me."

"I'm here for you, yes. Helen got me really worried so you'll just have to indulge your big sister but I am making sure that you attend all of your classes."

"I accept but only on one condition."

"What."

"Have dinner with me."

"Where? In the cafeteria?"

"By now you must know that I can take you anywhere. Name the place. Name the city."

"No, no. No other cities. You are going to school tomorrow as well."

"We have to eat dinner somewhere."

"McDonalds is enough. I just want to make sure you're ok."

"It seems so much like a waste of my time to endure all of this boredom if my only reward is to eat fast food. I had much grander ideas in mind. Why not enjoy this world while we have it?"

"You can enjoy all you want four years from now after you graduate."

He sighed. "Four years. It is a long time and a lot of things could happen."

"Well, unless you're going to test out of all of your classes you're just going to have to 'endure'."

"It is interesting that you should mention testing. I took the placement tests for all my subjects last week. I came to class today to get my scores. I honestly expect not to have to come to class tomorrow."

"Are you shitting me?"

"I have some research to turn in for some of the higher level subjects but I also fully expect to 'test out' of them as well. My intention is to graduate by August and put this all behind me."

"There is no way they're going to let you graduate in one semester, especially summer semester. I know you're smart but, David, you're not that smart."

"You doubt me?"

"I want you to be realistic. Don't go messing up everything if you can't get this to work out."

1...34567...12