A Twist of Destiny Bk. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sergeant!" one of the other soldiers spoke up. "For fuck's sake, stop being an asshole!"

Cosloski, then, seemed to realize quite a few things and decided to get his act together. "Okay," he huffed. "Okay! Sorry! It's just.. I mean... what the fuck, right?" I let him down to the ground slowly and then released the other soldiers. When they got back to their feet, I gently placed their weapons back into their hands. "Is this for fucking real?!"

"Holy shit!" one of the others exclaimed.

Tank and I just looked at each other and shook our heads in dismay while the HazMat team began to chatter effusively among each other about what we were and weren't. Finally, after a moment, Tank had had enough.

"HEY!" his big voice boomed. "Are you gonna fucking do your goddamned jobs or what?!"

As though hit with a cattle-prod, the HazMat team finally got into gear. Two of them (Cosloski and Specialist Timms, the soldier who'd told the sergeant to stop acting like an asshole) approached us while the others moved past us (cautiously) to go inspect the back of the building. Within a few seconds, after reading their own Geiger counters, they both agreed that Tank and I were safe.

"I'm really sorry about that," Cosloski apologized. "I just... this is like something out of a fucking movie. The government has super-heroes?! How in the hell?"

I sighed. "First of all, sergeant, we're actually super-soldiers. Secondly, this is not the movies. Our existence has been classified for some time, but that's probably gonna change now."

Cosloski knitted his eyebrows in confusion. "Huh? Why's that?"

"No disrespect meant, sergeant, but you really are an idiot sometimes!" Timms broke in. "We've seen them! They might be able to keep one or two of us quiet, but not all six of us. Dude, this is like your coming-out mission, isn't it?"

I shrugged indifferently. "I guess maybe it is. Fact is, though, those nuclear materials are a very real threat. I can cobble together a lead container for safe transport, but I'll need you guys to find the stuff and seal it up for me."

Cosloski looked around us with a mystified expression. "The only lead I see around here is-"

"Boy, it is officially time for you to shut up, listen and learn," Tank bellowed. "Do your thing, Boss."

"I really do wish you guys would stop calling me Boss," I sighed as I reached into my bag and pulled out a steel ball. Cosloski and Timms watched with unvieled disbelief as the ball turned into a large lead-lined box.

Timms let his arms drop to his sides and muttered, "That's it. I'm done."

After that it was a short wait for the rest of the team to find the nuclear materials, stow them in the box and then Tank and I left with a small thanks to Cosloski's team. I was careful not to tell him and his team to keep quiet about us- I figured that the truth of our existence was, at that point, supposed to get out. One of the HazMat soldiers would blab about us to his buddies, his family or the media and, within a day's time, we'd be in all the newspapers. That was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

None of us liked it very much, though, and that's a fact.

Chapter Nineteen: Wag, Wag, Wag

"I'd like to talk about business," General Hannis said after we briefed him on our mission and its outcome. We all stared at him silently in the meeting room, not sure what kind business he had in mind. "Something I learned in college, back when I was a young lieutenant. Two businesses, both in the same market, can have equal amounts of investment, man-power, acumen and resources. The real difference between them is what happens in their firs transactions. One business succeeds where the other doesn't. The first few successes are more valuable than any investment capital because those successes equate reputation and when a business gets the reputation for getting the job done right and well, that gets them more business."

While the others chewed on this I groaned out loud. I knew precisely where he was going with this. "Aw, crap, sir. Really?"

"I couldn't have said it better myself," the general said solemnly. "In fact, I put it exactly like that, when I was told what's in store for you four."

"How bad is it, sir?" I asked.

"About as bad as you can imagine."

"Hold on a sec," Leviathan cut in, glancing between me and the general. "How bad is what?"

"We're about to become trademarked," I said hollowly.

"What? Like action figures and cartoon shows and movies?!"

"I'm sure that will be proposed in the future," General Hannis answered for me, "but not at this time. The President, after talking with his cabinet, has decided to go public with your existence. His ratings are slipping and he wants to get re-elected."

"So he's using us as the ponies in his own personal horse-and-pony show?!" Tank rumbled. "He can't do that!"

General Hannis sighed deeply with resignation. "Actually, soldier, he can. As the Commander in Chief, he can pretty much do whatever he wants when it comes to Project Odyssey. He will make a televised announcement in a few hours to the entire world. And he wants all of you standing behind him when he does it."

"Seriously?!" Leviathan crowed. "That's insane!"

General Hannis closed his eyes as though he was counting to ten. "It only gets worse from there, actually. Once he's done introducing you, he wants you to provide a demonstration of your abilities on the White House lawn, in front of the news cameras."

"Sir," I said, "that is a collossally bad idea and you know it."

Looking more like a beaten man than an Army general, Hannis sighed again. "Believe me, NightShade, I tried to dissuade him, but he wouldn't budge. He seems to think that a televised demonstration will drive the point home to our enemies and criminals that you four are a force to be reckoned with and that, if you show up, it'd be pointless to fight you."

"It would be," Tank agreed with a rumble.

"But it would be tipping our hat, too," I added. "Part of our success hinges on the element of surprise. If criminals and foreign enemies become aware of our abilities, they might think of ways to defend themselves against them."

"I know!" Hannis growled in frustration. "I know. I told him that. He wouldn't listen and he gave the order, so I've got to obey it. You've got to obey it, whether we like it or not. I did manage to convince him that displaying all of your abilities would be a bad idea, but he still wants you all to put on a show.

I leaned back in my chair and shook my head in wonder. "Sir, while I can't argue the fact that we've had two successful missions-"

Hannis silenced me with a raised palm. "Don't even say it. I made the same argument. It didn't take. The President is expecting you to appear in front of him at the White House in forty-five minutes, so you'd better get going."

I stood up. "I can get us all there in a matter of seconds by teleporting. We should probably take a few minutes to discuss, exactly, what kind of 'show' we'll be putting on for the American People."

General Hannis shook his head. "It's already been worked out by the President's P.R. flunkies. You'll go to the White House, shake the President's hand and then you'll be given a script of what to do and when to do it. I've looked over a rough draft of the damn thing. It reads like an action movie."

----------------------------------

"Good evening. I'd like to take a few moments to tell you, the good people of our great nation, about one of the most magnificent changes in our future. Your nation's government, in conjunction with the armed forces, has discovered a way to literally change the face of what is clearly our international role as a global peace-keeping force. We will forever employ our nation's fine volunteers for military service, which will always include maintaining the safety of our borders and providing a secure force of military might that is unmatched by any organization in the world, whose primary purpose is to resist the forces of evil and tyranny. But we have brought a new element to the table.

"Most of you are familiar with comic books and super heroes, individuals who are blessed with superhuman abilities and use those talents for the greater good. Now, in addition to the finest fighting force the world has ever seen, America is able to rely on real, honest-to-God super heroes. Each member of this four-person team is a volunteer soldier, one soldier from each major branch of our armed forces- the Army, the Navy, the Air Force and the Marines. The procedure to enhance these four individuals was costly and extremely hazardous. Of the many volunteers who participated in the development of this special team, only these four survived and I daresay that they are all this nation will ever be able to produce."

The President gave a subtle nod to the right of the stage and the curtain drew apart to reveal us standing some distance behind him. When the curtain parted widely enough, the four of us walked forward and stopped just a few feet away as he swept his hand at us by way of introduction.

"I present to you, the American People, Team Alpha. Each member has a special codename that serves to protect their identities. The team leader is NightShade, who represents the United States Army. Second in command is Aventine, of the Air Force. Next is Tank, of the Marines. And, lastly, is Leviathan, who comes from our proud Navy." None of us knew exactly how the reporters in the room would react to our introduction, but I don't think anyone expected to be met with stone-cold silence, least of all the President. The blank looks on every reporter's face said it all really: they had no ready response.

The President awkwardly turned his attention back to the podium and said, "As the team's leader, I've asked NightShade to say a few words to the country that he has sworn to protect and will protect in some new and unique ways." The President stepped aside from the podium amid the silence that had engulfed the room.

We were all masked, of course, but I think the look of uncertainty that I wore under my own mask was all too evident. Nevertheless, I approached the podium and looked at the stolid faces of the skeptical newspeople who looked at me as though I were an alien. Actually, I guess they'd be half right to think that.

I leaned forward slightly toward the bouquet of microphones as I gripped both sides of the podium. "Thank you, Mister President, sir," I said coolly. "I know that ninety-five per-cent of you are probably thinking the same thing I'd be thinking if I were in your shoes right now. Namely: is this a joke?" I held up a hand and produced a small fireball, letting it grow and shrink a few times before making it dissipate. During this tiny show, I saw the eyes of those reports start to understand just what they were seeing, but they still seemed to stunned to fully register it. "The answer is: no. This is most definitely not a joke. The President is my Commander in Chief and I am loathe to dispute anything he tells you, but I am afraid that I must set one point clear, if for no other reason than to keep a lot of people safe. The fact of the matter is that we are not merely super heroes. We are soldiers. We are all good people who love our nation and will never shrink from our duties to defend her against any foe, but we do so at the behest of our government. In fact, we are government property and beholden to its will. We are its creations, not mutants or magical beings. We were made the way we are by science, not divinity. We are not a marauding band of super-powered freaks who intend to take on criminal elements in some systematic way, moving from city to city so that we can capture purse snatchers or murderers. That is the job of the men and women who serve on every city's police force and we are not interested in taking that noble job away from those courageous people. We aren't anything like what you see in the comic books. We are a fighting force that deals as much in death as we do in justice, under the direction of our superiors. I want to make that point absolutely clear to everyone watching and listening right now. I make no bones about the fact that, if we have to and feel that it is necessary, we will act with lethal force in the pursuit of our missions.

"That said, I believe I speak for my other three teammates when I say that we are honored to serve our nation in any capacity. We will always endeavor to keep America and her citizens safe, no matter what our mission is or where we find ourselves. We do this as soldiers and patriots. But if your intentions are bad, if you seek to cause harm to my fellow Americans, if you attempt to destroy all that is good in this world, I am here to tell you now: we will stop you in so permanent a fashion that you will wonder why you might have tried in the first place. That is a solemn promise: the greater good will be kept safe while the evil among us, in our eyes, are forfeit. I am NightShade and we-" I pointed to Aventine, Tank and Leviathan- "are Team Alpha."

I took a step back from the podium so that the President could take the floor again. The reporters, it seemed, were coming back to life and it looked like they at least wanted to take this seriously. "Thank you, NightShade. I sincerely appreciate your words of warning and I also defer to the clarification you just posed. I misspoke and, for that, I am sorry. You see, as a young boy, I, like any young American, loved to read comic books. I loved following the heroic exploits of incredible people who possessed immense powers and bent them towards doing good. That boy within, I must admit, is simply thrilled to see the dreams of countless people finally realized in existence. In my zeal and excitement I spoke incorrectly and you're quite right: you are soldiers, first and foremost. But are not soldiers heroes, too?" At that I gave a slow, considerate nod. "Then let it be that America can celebrate the addition of four truly heroic soldiers to our nation's defenses."

Then he regarded the audience of reporters. "Before I came out tonight I made it clear that no questions will be answered at this meeting. I did so in order to set a precedent: these individuals, when they are working to accomplish their missions, should not to be approached or hindered in any way. I, of course, cannot stop you from doing so, as that would be a contravention of the First Amendment, but I strongly suggest that, when they are working, everyone stays out of their way for their own safety. It is standard military doctrine to treat anyone on the battlefield who is not a confirmed friendly or ally as a potential hazard. You do not want to get caught in the crossfire with this team. I am most emphatically not issuing a threat, here, people. I am, however, making it clear here and now that anyone who is accidentally caught in the crossfire during one of Team Alpha's missions will be a deeply-felt and aggrieved casualty. To speak plainly, such unfortunate casualties will not be the responsibility of Team Alpha or the United States government. We are issuing this as a warning- if you get in their way and are injured or even killed for having willingly done so, you will be grieved but the choice will have been yours alone to make. This goes for everyone, not just the intrepid journalists of the world. Questions, if you have them, can be directed to the White House Press Secretary."

He let that sink in for a moment and then smiled. "Now... I am sure that all of you are curious to see Team Alpha in action. Behind the White House, just a few hundred feet away, we have set up a small area where Team Alpha will demonstrate some of their amazing talents and abilities. We will break for twenty minutes to allow news services to reconvene outside and then we will give the world a show that won't soon be forgotten."

Fifteen minutes later Team Alpha was grouped together on the White House's South Lawn, where the President often made outdoor announcements and press meetings. This time, though, a large number of murmuring reporters and cameramen were setting up for what promised to be a spectacular show.

"I don't like this," Aventine said quietly to us, well out of earshot of anyone.

I shook my head. "None of us do, but orders are orders. The President says a few more words, we follow the script and then call it a day. One thing is sure: our jobs have just gotten a thousand times harder. From here on out we're going to have to be a lot more careful about what we do and say."

"Then I won't say anything, unless it's to you," Tank grumbled quietly. "Some pip-squeak paperboy is gonna ask me a stupid question and he might get himself 'caught in the crossfire.' You handled yourself pretty well, Boss."

"For the last time, will you please stop calling me Boss?"

"I think you're being overruled on that one," Aventine told me. I could almost see the smile beneath her silver mask. "Boss."

I sighed. Suddenly, apropos of nothing, the date of when I had been visited by my future self in Afghanistan popped into my head. Without a moment's hesitation, I produced my cell phone and sent the information to my daughter.

"What the hell was that about?" Levi asked.

"Nothing important. Just told my daughter to turn on the news."

"Anyway," Levi said, "I think I'm with Tank on this one. I'm too egotistical to talk to the media without putting my boot in my mouth."

"No," I said, my voice dripping with sarcasm. "You?"

"Joke all you want, Boss, but we all know it's true and I'm not the kind of guy who lies to himself. One minute in front of a news camera and I'll be asking the reporter out on a date."

"What if it's a guy?" Tank joked.

Levi shrugged. "Then I'll be talking to the women of the audience. It's too tempting for me and it'd make me look like an ass. So, yeah, the media's all yours, Boss."

I looked to Aventine. "What about you?"

"Oh, screw that. I'll talk to them only if you aren't around. Boss."

I hung my head low and sighed. I really didn't like being called "Boss."

Just then the President walked up to the podium and gave a congenial smile to the press who seemed to be quieting down. He waited a few moments longer until the red lights on the cameras went on and he was given a thumb-sign that he was once again on live television.

"My fellow Americans, it is with great pleasure and honor that I present to you Team Alpha. As I said earlier, this team of enhanced soldiers possesses powers and abilities far beyond that of a normal human being. Not to put too fine a point on it, but these powers can be very destructive and lethal. We have put together a small demonstration of some of their talents for instructive purposes. Earlier, NightShade, the leader of Team Alpha, warned those who might commit themselves to evil deeds that they will be stopped. Without further ado, I invite everyone present and who is currently viewing this telecast to pay careful attention to what you are about to witness: Team Alpha in action."

With that, he turned to me and gave me a curt nod to proceed. I turned and passed the nod on to Aventine and then we both shot straight up into the air. We did so quickly, but nowhere near full speed so that the cameras and their operators would be able to track us. While Aventine and I pulled back into high arcing loops, Tank turned to face a decommissioned Abrams tank while Leviathan sprinted towards a parked helicopter, slicing off its propeller blades with thin jets of water that he drew from the ground. Aventine and I swooped down towards the ground and I plucked Tank off his feet while Aventine did the same with Leviathan, who was still laying waste to the helicopter. With our "payloads" in hand and gaining altitude, we both flung our team mates towards their targets. Tank came at his target like a meteor while Leviathan really blasted the helicopter to shreds in a matter of seconds as he floated to the ground gracefully. When Tank impacted on his target, however, the way he took it apart was far more violent. He began to literally rip it to pieces as though it was made of paper. Large, massive chunks of metal and debris hit the ground solidly and noisily as he worked his way through the old tank with his bare hands.

1...1920212223...26