Ashton Hill Siren

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Okay," she said quietly, letting the argument go. Chess could obviously look after himself, and he never went anywhere without Collin. Surely David wouldn't be so stupid as to threaten Chess as he had her when he had threatened to kill anyone who she cheated on him with. He was delusional in his belief that Ariel was still his fiancée and had been waiting for him to return so they could finally marry.

"Okay?" he asked, realising there was more to her anxiety at that moment and wondering whether to push the point now or wait until they were settled in for the evening after she had seen that there was nothing to be concerned about.

"You wanted to know how I felt, and it wasn't what you wanted to hear. What else can I say? You will do what you want to do, regardless of how I feel," she sighed.

"Would you rather I was happy to be kept your dirty little secret and stay in the lake house and never interact with the people in this town?" Chess asked, realising now he would have to push the point.

"No, but we don't have to flaunt our relationship, or whatever this is either," she sighed. "We've known each other for days, not weeks or months, days! You can't just come here and take over my life!"

"We met weeks ago, but we haven't spent a lot of time together, that's true," he said, stunned by her words now. He had thought after the weekend that they had the beginnings of a great relationship. "Do you want to tell me what's really going on here? Is there someone else? Is it your ex? Were you planning on getting back together with him eventually?" He hated the way the idea of that felt to him.

"No! God no!" Ariel was horrified by the thought. "He's delusional, and he scares me. As for anyone else in this town, I am that girl to be pitied after she got left standing at the altar."

"He scares you? Isn't that even more reason to have me here with you?" Chess asked, his voice rising in frustration with her.

The car skidded to a halt in the gravel on the shoulder of the road, startling both Chess and Ariel. Collin turned in his seat and eyed both of them.

"What?" Chess demanded.

"You're an arse, and you need to stop and listen properly! Or you are going to scare that girl so much she refuses to see you at all!" Collin said angrily.

"I listened to every word!" Chess said, his frustration reaching new heights. "She doesn't want her friends and family to know we are a couple!"

"That's not what she said, and if you could get head out of your arse for two minutes and stop thinking with your dick you would have heard what she said loud and clear!" Collin pulled no punches. "She has lived the last two years in this town with the humiliation of being left at the altar. She has been pitied, and, I suspect, ridiculed for it. Then, in the space of a month she meets you, her delusional ex comes back to town expecting to just pick up where he left off with her, and you stalk her to the point where you are here in this town with her humiliation and her psycho ex! Then, when she tried to explain how she is feeling, instead of being sensitive to those facts, you expect her to open herself up to further humiliation in this town by letting them see you both as a couple when she isn't as sure as you that it will all work out and she could be humiliated again!"

Chess just stared at him speechlessly. He hadn't heard her say even half of that.

"Now you," he looked at Ariel. "Chess doesn't do subtle! Stop skirting around what you want to say and just tell him the truth straight up! He's a good guy, and you know it! He won't cause drama here; you just have to trust him with the truth!"

"Now, Cesare, apologise for being a jealous arsehole like her ex and trying to bully her into what you want instead of listening to her!" Collin paused for effect. "You can't take control of her life like the dominant you want to be to her before she is ready to submit completely or she will resent that control rather than embrace it the way she does when you are alone together in the city!" He shook his head. "And you, Ariel, you need to admit you want that control and commanding presence in your life, because you know deep inside he will never hurt you the way your ex did! Stop fighting each other, or it will all be over before it's even begun!" With that, he turned around and started the car again, entering the outskirts of Ashton Hill.

"I'm not like her ex," Chess grumbled at Collin's back.

"Don't tell me, tell her, because you were acting like it a few minutes ago," Collin said, unperturbed by Chess's anger.

"I know you're not, or at least I think you're not," Ariel said quietly. "We haven't had time to get to know each other. One weekend that we spent mostly fucking each other's brains out doesn't even scratch the surface of who we are as people," she sighed. "You seem so sure, and I am still just coming to terms with the fact you have a future all planned out for us before even knowing if I have any disgusting habits or strange hobbies."

"Do you?" he asked.

"I'm messy, and I hate housework," she sighed.

"So, we get a housekeeper, and Collin already looks after us like a nanny anyway," he chuckled. "Even to the point of scolding us when we argue. Anything else?"

"Pet's," she said. "I have a few, though Mum and Dad look after them mostly."

"I assumed as much, being a vet," he chuckled again. "I have no problem with pets. Though I'd rather not have big hairy spiders crawling around the house, if that's okay, but I'm good with most things."

"I can't cook," she sighed.

"Collin can, and I already mentioned a housekeeper," he shrugged.

"I have a psycho ex-boyfriend who threatened me and anyone I might be seeing," she practically whispered and looked down at her hands.

"I know, and that's the least of my concerns," he said softly, reaching out to take her hands. "None of that matters to me. There is nothing you could say to make me believe that you aren't absolutely perfect for me."

"You're so sure, and being with you is... amazing, but Collin is right, you scare me a little. You're so intense sometimes," she admitted. "And I don't really understand your lifestyle, as you put it."

"I like to be in control of my life at all times. Whether that is business, family or my relationships, I am the undisputed leader. The fact that you feel the need to argue with me about everything except sex, it seems, is more than a little frustrating, but you aren't ready to give me the level of trust needed to improve that situation yet. I promise you, though, I will only ever want the best for you. You just need to accept that I have never met someone like you, so I am learning as I go along as well," he paused. "I'm wealthy, and I am used to women enjoying the things that come along with that rather than seeing your reaction to the wardrobe or the house. It won't stop me from buying you the things I want you to have, but I will be more open to negotiation. You have a career, and I love that about you, but I hope you're still considering moving to the city to see if we can make this work properly."

"I feel like I have to constantly remind you that we barely know each other. A one-night stand weeks ago and a weekend together do not make a relationship, no matter how intense they are," Ariel sighed.

"Exactly, which is why I am buying this house and rescheduling my work for a little while so we can build our relationship into what we both want and need. Collin said it as well, we give each other what we need and want. We are great together, and no amount of time is going to change that. It's only going to make us even closer. Stop fighting me and us, please."

"You're crazy, you know that, right?" she said but smiled. "It's not that I disagree with you about anything you said, it's just a lot so fast, and I wasn't ready for someone like you to come into my life. You need to give me time to adjust to the idea of everything that comes along with you. The wealth, the lifestyle, the control," she looked anxiously up at him. "It's a lot to take on and accept, not only about you, but about me. I mean, what does it say about me that I like what you do to me so much?"

"That you are the most perfect woman for me," he grinned and kissed her. "I can give you time, but just trust me, please. I will always make sure you are happy and safe. I will never purposely push you too far in or out of the bedroom. I will make your body sing for me time and time again," he kissed her and crushed her body to his, realising they would be at their destination within minutes and had no time to do anything else to prove how much he wanted her.

*****

"What are we doing here?" Ariel asked as the car pulled up in front of Fancies.

"I need to meet the man we are buying the house from, so we have a lunch date," he said easily as if it was no big deal.

"This is one of those things you should have told me about. Ground rules, remember? Making decisions together?" she reminded him, trying to smooth out the skirt she wore and cursing at the wrinkles it had from sleeping most of the way home.

"We're a few minutes early, your bag is in the back if you want to change," he offered, seeing her agitation. "Although Collin packed for us, so I am unsure what is there."

"Can you just take me home and then come back for your lunch meeting?" she asked.

"We don't have that much time," he chuckled "Besides, I told them I'd bring you with me."

"I'll get the bag," Collin said, and stepped from the car.

"You look beautiful but change if you want to. This lunch is important to me, please try and enjoy it," Chess said softly and kissed her again. Collin opened the door and passed her a dress bag containing two of the dresses Chess had purchased for her, with matching shoes in the bottom. He also passed her the make-up and toiletries bag she had packed to freshen up with and showed her how to open the mirror on the back of the seat. The windows were tinted in the darkest of tints, and she was shielded from any onlookers as both men got out and stood at the front of the car, obscuring the windscreen.

The meeting was important, he had said, and, if she was honest, it was important to her to look like she deserved to be with the good-looking, wealthy man who had turned her life upside down in the space of a week. She changed into an emerald green dress to match her eyes and marvelled once again at what a good fit it was. Then she ran her fingers through her hair and decided to leave it down. Finally, she touched up her make-up, not that she ever wore much make-up here in her little town, but once again she needed to look the part, or no one would believe a man like Chess would take her seriously, and David would think she was doing this just to make him jealous.

When she stepped from the car, she looked more like Ari the confident, curious and highly experimental woman, Ari, who spent her weekends in the city with her best friend rather than the shy reserved local vet, Ariel, who was, for want of a better word, a people-pleaser who rose to everyone else's expectations.

"Wow!" Chess breathed and caught her up in his arms, kissing her softly before guiding her into the restaurant, knowing they were late now. In reality, they hadn't had the time for her to change, but if it made her happy it was a small price to pay.

"Hello, Ariel," Daniel smiled as he greeted them in the restaurant foyer. "You must be Cesare Roussel. Grayson and Quinn are already here, if you'll follow me," he said, and Ariel had to blink at his formality. She was so used to being treated like the kid sister of his friend, Brian, that she was taken aback by the deference they were being shown.

"Thank you," Chess said easily and followed Daniel through to the table with his hand on the small of Ariel's back guiding her.

"You made it!" Greyson said, standing to hold out his hand in greeting to Chess. "I was afraid the weekend traffic might have slowed you down."

"Not at all," Chess shook his head. "Sorry we're a little late. I hope you weren't waiting long."

"No, it's fine. It's not often we get out without the kids in tow, so we were happy to have a drink and enjoy the peace," he chuckled and took the hand of the woman beside him. "This is my wife, Quinn."

"Nice to meet you," Chess said, taking her hand. "I guess I don't have to introduce Ariel to you both."

"No," they said in unison as Ariel took a seat and Daniel unfolded her napkin with a flourish and set it on her lap.

"Hi, how are you both?" Ariel smiled nervously.

"Great," Quinn grinned. "You look amazing, that colour really suits you!"

"Thanks. How's Teddy doing now after her operation? No problems with the cone?" Ariel asked.

"She's just fine, although Noah still refuses to acknowledge that she is a girl dog," Quinn laughed.

From that point on it seemed to Ariel that they were four friends having lunch. She had no concerns about Chess fitting in, as he was introduced to several other couples in the restaurant as they walked by and made small talk about how he and Ariel met and the different things to do and see around the town. Chess and Greyson had an easy rapport, and Ariel allowed herself to relax into the fun and friendly atmosphere. Towards the end of lunch, Ariel saw Chess look at his phone and frown before turning to her.

"No matter what happens in the next few minutes, you need to trust me and let me handle it. Do you understand?" Chess murmured close to her ear and was pleased when he saw her nod. "David is here," he gave her a warning, trusting her to trust him.

Greyson looked between the couple and then in the direction of the restaurant entrance and immediately understood. He'd received an irate phone call from the delusional David, who believed he still had a claim on Ariel after abandoning her so long ago, about the fact that he had withdrawn the house from the market to sell it privately.

"I'll handle this," Greyson said, beginning to get to his feet.

"There's no need, Greyson," Chess said, sounding relaxed and at ease with the situation. "I believe he needs to hear this from me while Ariel is here to show him that she has moved on completely." He felt Ariel tense beside him at the thought of creating a scene here in front of all the people having lunch.

"Chess, I..." Ariel began, but stopped, not knowing what to say and all too aware of Greyson and Quinn looking at her.

"David," Chess said in a friendly manner. "I was hoping we'd run into you today." He saw David falter for a moment at his friendly tone.

"Ariel, what are you doing here?" David demanded. "Get your stuff and I will take you home." He reached out and grabbed her arm as if to haul her to her feet.

"Let go of Ariel now!" Chess growled and pulled Ariel forcibly toward him, and then stood and stepped in front of her, putting his body between her and David. Ariel winced as David was forced to let go by the speed and force of Chess's reflexes.

"Ariel!" David said menacingly.

"David, why don't you have a seat," Chess invited in a once again friendly but commanding tone. "I won't offer a second time, and Ariel isn't going anywhere with you ever again." He waited patiently as David weighed up the situation. "She's scared of you, and if you touch her and try to make her leave, I will be the least of your problems, judging by the way people in here are looking at you. I would bet a million dollars that there isn't a man or woman in this place that will let you leave with her, so have a seat!" his voice rose threateningly.

"Ariel?" David asked, using the same threatening tone on her, even though it was posed more as a question now than a demand. When she didn't answer him, he took a seat, staring at Chess belligerently.

"David, I will only say this once, so listen to me very carefully. Ariel doesn't want to talk to you. She doesn't want to see you or have anything to do with you. She is scared of you, and every person here has heard you threaten her over the last few weeks. My lawyer will be here first thing in the morning to take out a restraining order on you so that you can't come within a hundred meters of her. If you touch her or try to make her leave, that will become two hundred meters, and you will have to leave this little town or be arrested. Do you understand?" Chess spoke in a clipped brittle tone now.

"You can't do that, we're engaged!" David argued.

"No, David, you're not, and you're delusional if you think that's true. You broke that engagement when you left her standing at the altar, and if you think for one moment that this beautiful woman has been sitting here alone, pining away for you while you went and lived your life, you're even more delusional than I gave you credit for. The moment you left men were falling over themselves to date her and treat her right. I'm just the lucky bastard she chose to have a future with. Believe me when I say that if you touch her or threaten her again, I will have you arrested for stalking and harassment. Do we understand each other now?" Chess left anyone within earshot under no illusions about the fact that he and Ariel were serious about each other and that David was no match for him.

"Ariel?" David asked, looking at her as if to tell him that Chess was lying.

"Everything he said is true. I have been going to the city every weekend and staying with Mikayla while I was dating other people. I met Chess at a party I went to with her, and now he and I are moving in together," she said nervously. "I told you when you first came back that we could never be friends again, let alone anything more serious, but you just haven't listened. So now it comes down to this. Leave me alone, or I will call the police."

"No!" David yelled incredulously. "This isn't over, Ariel!" he pushed his chair back, knocking it over, and stormed from the restaurant.

"That went well then," Greyson said, picking up his beer as Chess gripped Ariel's chin and turned her face towards him.

"He can't hurt you now that you're mine. I will make sure of it," he said softly.

"And what if he hurts you?" she asked quietly.

"Then Collin hasn't done his job as my manny, has he," Chess chuckled. "How do you think I knew he was here before he came in?" He kissed her chastely. "You are safe, Ariel. Please, trust me."

"Why don't we get out of here and go see the lake house," Quinn suggested. "Your people arrived yesterday to clean and stock the place."

"Your people?" Ariel asked curiously, glad of the diversion.

"I have people," he grinned at her. "The housekeeper we spoke about to cook and pick up after my messy girlfriend, and a manny, like Collin, to keep you safe when I can't be here," he explained. "I did it before we had the ground rules talk." He held his hands up in surrender, expecting her to berate him again about making decisions without her.

"You did all of this last Friday?" she asked, stunned by the revelation.

"With Collin's help," he admitted.

"Where is the fucker?" Brian said, stalking into the restaurant.

"David?" Chess asked, thinking that there could only be one fucker that Brian would refer to in a town this size. "He's gone. I handled it, Brian." He said in a relaxed tone, trying to calm Ariel's brother down.

"It's fine, Brian, honestly," Ariel said, touching her brother's arm, sensing the note of concern on his face. "How did you know? Who called you?"

"More like who didn't call me," he rolled his eyes. "Nobody likes the way he has been harassing you since returning," He said, making Ariel blink up at him, once again stunned by another revelation.

"Look, we're headed out to the lake house. Why don't you go and grab Heather and the kids and meet us out there and I'll explain everything." Chess said, pulling Ariel to his side. "I won't let anything happen to her, Brian, I promise."