Cam's Kingdom

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"The sorcerers?"

Siora shrugged, "They bitch a lot, but they live in splendor and riches in the tower, and they won't foolishly risk it. I have a feeling they'll bide their time for the future, and they'll be wary but peaceful enemies to our house."

I nodded, "Any other problems or opportunities for us, or just those three things?"

Lysa shrugged, "Nothing with the kiss, we're just feeding, playing our usual political games, and mainly focused on finding proof on the cabal."

Irze said, "Nothing I know of."

Cassia said, "Looks like we can focus on starting our families and maybe start a warding business. We have two active and one inactive threat, hopefully we'll take care of one of the former this afternoon."

Meaning the witches.

"Couldn't have said it better myself. Train, family, and stay vigilant, but enjoy the peace while it lasts. Faith?"

Faith shrugged, "I haven't heard anything from the twelve shifters we freed, and there aren't that many in the city. No news is good news."

"Lynn, Jade, you've been quiet. Any problems or opportunities you want to pursue?"

Jade blushed under my regard, rather prettily, but I politely pretended not to notice as I looked over to Lynn. They were still too thin, it'd only been a few days, but their light dirty blonde hair was shinier, and had more body to it. Their light brown eyes also looked a little sharper, unless that was my imagination.

Lynn replied, "We're still getting settled in, although I do like the matriarch's idea. With nine of us here, we're consuming a third of the gold we get from the castle just on food and clothes. I love the training and practice every morning, but a few more three hour stints a week in the afternoons would give us something to do, and bring more gold coin in."

I nodded, and looked back to Jade, who seemed to have gotten a hold of her libido and embarrassment at said libido. I couldn't help being who and what I was, and they were clearly losing their fear of me over time, which was inversely raising their levels of attraction, and they already knew how fiercely I would protect them as I would my mates. I finally admitted to myself in that moment, that it was only a matter of time before I had eight lovers, like it or not, I'd have to make the time for it.

Not that it'd be a hardship, they were both beautiful and sexy women, and would only become more alluring as they filled out. I wasn't going to pursue them actively, but at some point, the building sexual tension would plateau and demand I make a move, and that I take them as mine.

Jade swallowed, "I don't have any ideas for a job past what my sister said, but could we start our own rumors? I mean, leak the story about what happened in certain ears, and see if it spreads?"

Lysa said, "That might backfire, if it turns some of the populace against the nobles, they might all close ranks making it harder to peel away the cabal. A part of the truth might help, leave the noble part of the story out altogether, and just say it was an illegal operation and abuse. I fear the best we can expect from the humans is neutrality though."

I nodded, "Good idea. We can give that a try, even if at best it only makes people more suspicious toward the other rumors. Anything else?"

Mara said, "You humans are too complicated. Back in my kingdom we would just question the four and be done with it."

No argument there, but it was an impossibility politically speaking. Even if they were guilty, the other nobles would lose their minds at some of their own being questioned without initial proof past rumor.

We finished off lunch at that point, and we cleaned up afterwards. Before we left for our meeting, Tammy took my hand and led me up the stairs for a quick private conversation. Siora had installed those wards, and it would be impossible for us to be overheard.

"What's up, gorgeous?" I asked, as I pulled her tightly against me.

She grinned, and kissed me lingeringly, then stepped away, "You're a dangerous man, that's not why we came up here."

I laughed, "What's up?"

She bit her lip, "You know what my father demanded I do, before revealing I'm a sorceress?"

I nodded, suddenly all business, "Why? I didn't think it'd be a problem."

Tammy nodded, "Irze isn't. Did you ever wonder why Lysa is so adamant and almost aggressive in her saying not to tell her anything she isn't connected to personally, like other coven secrets and the like."

I tilted my head, "I hadn't given it much thought, but now that you mention it, she was pretty firm about that, her need not to know about the secret of the wards and the royal family."

Tammy said, "It's because she's given an oath to share any relevant information with the kiss, when it comes to political chicanery and what they get up to. She's trying to avoid a conflict of interest, while staying true to both you and her oaths and personal loyalty to the kiss."

Well, fuck me running.

"So, what does this mean, you can't go back."

Tammy smirked, "Yes, sir, and damned right, but technically I should already be packing. Except, she isn't truly untrustworthy, a technicality perhaps, but one I'll gladly take advantage of. Conceivably, we can find a way around that. It's only a matter of time before she figures out what I am, before they all do."

I frowned in thought, "I'll talk to Niri, tonight, after the meeting with the covens. Maybe she can order Lysa not to tell her, or something."

Tammy laughed in delight, "Alright, we can try that, but it's sticky. My father will argue that Niri could change her mind about that order at any time, and simply reverse it. I have more faith in you, the coterie, and our allies than that, but I can't overtly defy my father or the family's standards of secrecy."

I sighed, "She can't reverse it if you come with me and I get her to give me an oath you can verify with your father in two days. It's convoluted, but it should work to keep us together."

Tammy tilted her head, and nodded slowly, "We should bring Lysa as well, so we can get it all out of the way, and I'll tell both her and Irze when we get home tonight. I'm sorry about this, I tried to argue with him about it, but he wouldn't budge on the point. To be fair to him, my family hasn't kept the secret for three thousand years by not being thorough."

I nodded, "I knew that already, he told me, probably so I wouldn't get upset with you."

She kissed me again, and then moaned softly into my mouth with lustful frustrated disappointment, "You're a dangerous man, my mate, we should go now... or we're going to be late. I'm starting to truly understand Faith's teasing description is more truth than playful hyperbole, I think I am your willing and truly depraved cock-slave. No, that was a dodge, there's no think about it."

I laughed, "I love you, Tammy, and you're pretty damned dangerous yourself," I said firmly, as I raked her lushly sinful body with my eyes. I'd known the truth that first time I saw her, covered in sweat with a simple dress stuck to her body in alluring ways, she was ten times as devastatingly beautiful with her hair perfectly coiffed and in lovely multilayered dress.

She blushed at the look in my eyes, and the hunger in my tone, but looked very pleased, as I took her hand and we headed back downstairs. There'd be plenty of time to love her, and slake our lust, later that night.

The park wasn't all that vast in the middle-class neighborhood we'd set it up in, but it was more than large enough to accommodate the thirty or so witches that showed up. About fourteen independents, and two representatives each from the eight other covens. There wasn't much trust on any of the faces, but there wasn't an aura of violence in the air either, just suspicion and mistrust as they all faced the eight of us. Mara had stayed at the house, not interested in our other issues, only the cabal.

"Good evening, please don't be alarmed, but Siora," I waved my hand at the elf, "is going to ensure our privacy and that we are not overheard."

They all seemed to tense, as Siora's air magic spread out and covered us in a dome of privacy similar to the magic that covered our bedroom, but they relaxed slightly when an attack didn't materialize.

"Most of you know already, that our coven, the Healing Spirit coven, now holds the three tomes of knowledge that the fallen Immortal Rose coven once held. I won't bore you with a long speech, but I want for you to understand our motivations when we explain what this invitation is about.

"Did you all know all the sorcerers support each other, experiment, and watch each other's backs? Shifters similarly look out for pack. The elves too, band together. The witches break up into covens, which compete and distrust one other. I dislike the fact that the closest comparable race to us is the amoral drow, that don't trust anyone. Present company excluded.

"We zealously protect the few, and then ignore it when a witch is targeted by bigoted humans and killed, because they lack the knowledge to defend themselves, and only hold the general knowledge to heal and grow things."

I paused for a moment, and a rough voice said, "I hope you're not suggesting we all follow you instead."

I snorted, "Nothing so grand as a witch government, much less with me heading it. I offer nothing more than a first step, an ability to protect those in your coven, or for those of you that are independent, yourselves, your mates, and your children. Perhaps in the future we can work more closely together, but I think putting one of us in charge would be a step too far.

"Point is, I feel a duty beyond coven, to our race as a whole. The Healing Spirit coven doesn't plan to hoard the knowledge of the three ancient tomes, as the last coven that held them did. We have complied a standard witch spell book, which we are willing to sell for ten gold, and for the promise that the knowledge won't be abused to get back at the humans, which would be folly. The spells include elemental manipulations, more advanced shielding techniques, and direct magical attacks against a foe. At the very least, you'd be able to defend yourselves far more effectively against the few humans who choose to prey on our kind and the other non-human races."

I took a deep breath, that time there was a complete and shocked silence. I wasn't all that surprised by it, hoarding knowledge was just something witches did, to change that didn't seem to be intuitively logical to any of them, but I knew after thinking about it they might change that expectation, like My Cassia, Lynn, and Jade did.

"Further, if things go well with this first step of sharing a standard book of basic witch spells, we'll consider releasing further beneficial knowledge in a standard advanced spell-book, such as wards and helpful rites. Obviously, if this first step goes wrong, we won't be doing that."

One of them accused, "But you're keeping the deeper knowledge to yourselves."

I nodded, and said bluntly, "Yes. We won't share how to use our magic to create abominations, steal life that doesn't belong to you, or how to summon and deal with demons, nor will we use that magic ourselves. We don't see that as hoarding, but as guarding against that knowledge. The only purpose in sharing magic, is if it is intended to be used. Some magic shouldn't be used, therefor there's no reason to share it, it's that simple."

A few of them nodded, most looked neutral and unsure, and there were even some that looked disgusted and disbelieving, as if we'd not only keep that knowledge but use it for ourselves. Which... was stupid, we wouldn't share any of it if we intended that, but they could only see our actions through their own eyes.

I shrugged, "Any questions? We thought ten gold reasonable, to pay for our efforts in transcribing and in purchasing blank books, but in truth the knowledge is priceless, and you all know it. You all know where we are in the city, just come by with your ten gold and we'll hand over your copy. The books are also protected, from water, fire, resistant to reasonable physical damage, and won't fade or yellow over the centuries, much like the original tomes are protected from the ravages of time."

I suspected one of them would think to buy it, then make deals to sell their own copies for five gold a piece, or something similar. Which... would be annoying, but their copies wouldn't be protected, which was why I added that in to the pitch. It was worth the price to buy from us. Of course, if we did wind up doing an advanced book, the instructions for preservation wards would be included in that one.

"No questions? Alright, just one last thing. I'd suggest this be kept a secret, at least until you all have your hands on the new knowledge, just in case the humans react... violently to the idea of a witch community that can defend themselves. Even past that, if possible, the less waves we make the better, I think."

Right, no comments or questions, at least I had them thinking in the right direction, I hoped. I nodded to Siora who ended her spell, and we broke up at that point. Most of the ladies headed home, while me, Tammy, and Lysa split off once we'd reached the upper-class neighborhood, and we headed for the kiss's mansion instead.

Niri opened the door, and raised her eyebrow, "What an unexpected pleasure," as she danced forward and kissed me chastely. Again, mostly, though she lingered a little too long putting that in question. I honestly didn't think she could help herself, even if she didn't get anything out of it.

I smiled at the light blonde-haired bombshell.

"I had to come," I said outrageously, "I couldn't deny our love any longer."

She giggled, "Liar. Come on in, I assume you need something of us?"

We all moved inside and took a seat in the living room.

"I hoped you could help. We're in somewhat of a minor quandary. I have to tell our Lysa here, about the wards and royal family secret, after extracting an oath she won't talk about it. Unfortunately, that oath would also put her at odds with the oath and loyalty she holds toward you and the kiss. To say having that information would be politically advantageous, would be putting it mildly. I don't think such conflicts will happen often, or likely ever again, but my oath to the royal family is explicit and restrictive in the extreme."

Niri bit her lip in thought, then grinned, "You didn't tell Lysa?"

I shook my head, "Nope, this is the first she's hearing of it."

Niri frowned, "I have my own oaths to the kiss, even though I'm the leader, and to order her to make an exception would be breaking my own oath in spirit. I suppose our alliance is worth the complication, let me think about this for a minute."

Tammy asked, "Would it truly be a political advantage, if it put your kiss in danger and at odds with the royal family of Cyrene?"

Niri gaped at Tammy for a second, then laughed delightedly, "No, no it really wouldn't. Keep this one, she's brilliant. It's actually why we've never actively tried to uncover the truth before now. Do you agree with that assessment, Lysa?"

Lysa nodded, "It's obvious, now that she said it."

Niri grinned, "Looks like you came here for nothing, since it isn't politically advantageous, then she doesn't need my order and the oaths won't conflict."

I shook my head, "Not nothing, it allowed me the opportunity to bask in your unsurpassed beauty and graceful presence once more, my lady."

Niri snorted a laugh, "Stop that. You might make Karen jealous of our unrivaled and hot burning love."

We all heard laughter from the other room, right, vampire hearing.

Tammy looked between us curiously, obviously picking up we were just joking, but not why it was so funny.

Niri said, "I'm the only woman he knows that's immune to his charms."

I asked, "What about Karen?"

Niri smirked, "Stay away from her, she swings both ways."

I snickered, and Tammy finally caught on.

"I guess we'll let you get on with your day, we're due for dinner. If you need anything, you know where we are. Oh, thanks for kicking Lysa out, it was the best gift ever."

Niri smirked, "For her too, it was nice to see her tied down finally."

Lysa glared, but Niri just grinned unrepentantly.

I got another hug from the gorgeously curvy blonde, as did Lysa, before we left. Well, that was easier than I'd hoped it would be, and all thanks to my clever goddess of gardening. Too bad she didn't come up with it earlier, but it was good to see Niri anyway, if only to introduce her to Tammy.

Either way, it was a done deal, Tammy was mine and would never have to leave, she told both Lysa and Irze the truth of who she was, and what she was, when we got home.

Not so incidentally, five of the eight covens, and six of the independents, bought one of the spell-books that night, and promised not to abuse the knowledge for petty revenge. I hoped the rest came through too, at some point in the future. I couldn't imagine why they wouldn't, even if they were assholes, they should want the knowledge we offered.

Turns out, I just wasn't pessimistic enough, and didn't have enough of a sneaky backstabber in my head to put myself in their shoes to predict what would come next...

Chapter Ten

The next morning was hot and breezy, humid, and a storm was coming in from the east over the ocean. Focused meditation was interesting that day, as I felt the natural world around me as the storm got closer, it was the first time I'd felt anything like it, and it was rather more complicated than I'd expected. Of course, I was still being bombarded with the rest of the natural world in my backyard, which didn't make it any easier for my mind to deal with and comprehend.

It was a lot of work, being a witch.

It was the loud footsteps reverberating in the humid air, and the clanking of armor, that first alerted me to trouble. My eyes popped open, and I stood up quickly. Faith was at my side within moments, no doubt picking up on my alertness.

"I'm sure it's nothing."

A breeze came in from the street, and Faith took in a deep breath.

"That's a lot of nothing out there."

I nodded, and we moved around the back of the house, along the side and towards the front where the sounds of marching soldiers were coming from. I saw right off they weren't mercenaries, but a whole lot of the city guard. Forty, at least.

Cassia asked, "What do you think is going on?" the rest of the others had followed us.

The guards stopped in front of our house, and I felt a cold shiver go down my spine as they headed for our gate. My heart started to beat faster, and I pushed down the reflexive thought to draw steel. What the hell was four squads of the guard doing at our house?

Tammy sighed, and I knew she couldn't intervene, no matter what it was. She wasn't the princess, or rather, she couldn't identify herself as the princess, or the secret wouldn't be worth a damn.

"Let's go find out."

We moved forward toward the gate as the guards threw it open and streamed inside, they saw us right away and headed toward us. We were all there, except for Siora who was back at the tower, and Mara who was hunting large game to feed her dragon belly.

"What's going on here?"

The guard ordered, "All of you, disarm now!"

The 'or else' was implicit in his tone, and by the fact his hand was on the hilt of his sword. The other guards flowed around us to the sides, and in very short order we were surrounded while standing in front of our house.

I reached down slowly, and unclipped my sword belt, which also held my long dagger, and asked, "What is the meaning of this?" as I put it down on the ground. Several throwing daggers also joined the pile at my feet, until I was disarmed.

The guard sneered, "We'll be asking the questions here."

I looked around slowly, and I could see it in all their faces, not only did I not know what was going on, but whatever it was had all the guards pissed off and on the very edge of violence. It would be a mistake to provoke them in any way.

1...910111213...16