Christmas Day Fire

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
m_storyman_x
m_storyman_x
10,399 Followers

"I don't understand."

She kissed him softly. "I have to go. He only gave me a little time with you. You have to go too."

"But what will I do without you?"

She smiled at him. "You've already taken the first step. I've given you a sign. All you have to do is follow it." She turned and walked toward the path, her body still bare except for the black panties covering her butt cheeks. He watched her walk away, wanting to follow, but unable to move. He watched each step she took until she faded away from sight, leaving just the path and grass and trees. He stood there, staring at where she had been. The warm breeze started to turn cool and then cold. The leaves dropped from the willows and blew away, replaced moments later by small snowflakes and then larger ones. His body felt cold and he sat down on the wooden decking, suddenly exhausted. He rolled onto his side and closed his eyes, unable to keep them open any longer.

"What?" David croaked into the oxygen mask on his face. He tried to reach a hand to pull it away, but another hand grabbed his.

"Take it easy," the new voice said softly. It was quiet and soothing. He could almost feel. "Just take it easy. We're taking care of you."

"Where am I?" he croaked out.

"You're in the emergency room. You had a busy night."

"How is she? Emily?"

"Is that her name? Emily?"

He looked up at the nurse in confusion. "Um. I think so. Someone told me that was her name."

"Alright, we'll call her Emily for now."

"Is she okay?"

"She hasn't come around yet, but we think she'll be alright," the nurse said softly.

"I tried to get her out. I didn't think I was in time. She wouldn't wake up."

"You got her out in time. She's breathing and has a good pulse. We're not sure why she won't wake."

"She's hiding," he said softly.

"Hiding?"

"From life." He answered the nurse. "I know how she feels. I wanted to do the same thing, but she made me come back."

"She made you come back? Who made you come back?."

"We just buried my mom," he heard Anna say from close by. "Dad? Are you saying you saw mom?"

"She sent me back. Said it wasn't time for me yet."

"Dad, mom's gone. It was just a dream." Anna said softly.

"No. It wasn't. She said it wasn't time for me to be with her yet. She said I had too much to give yet. She said other things, but it's getting harder to remember. Too many grandchildren to help take care of."

"Too many? You only have one."

"Two if I understood. It's all getting so fuzzy, hard to remember."

"How could he know?" he heard Anna's husband say softly.

"Know what?" the nurse asked curiously.

"We just found out she's pregnant again yesterday morning. We haven't told anyone yet," Anna's husband answered quietly. "He couldn't have known."

"Can I see Emily?" David asked the nurse.

"She's not conscious."

"I know. But please? Can I see her? It's important."

"She's in the next bed," the nurse said hesitantly. She stepped to the sliding curtains and pulled one back. The young lady was lying in the bed, with an oxygen mask on. He could see her chest rising and falling under the blanket as she breathed.

"Let me hold her hand," David whispered.

The nurse, confused by all that she had heard in the last few minutes shook her head, but rolled the bed over far enough. David held out his hand and the nurse moved Emily's hand to rest in his.

"Emily. It's time to come back," he whispered. "I promise I'll be here for you, just like I was tonight. But it's time to come back."

For long seconds nothing happened, and the nurse was about to push the beds apart again. Emily's eyes fluttered and opened. David held her hand as her head moved side to side, her brain trying to gather where she was. The nurse moved around the other side of her bed and leaned over. "It's alright. You're in the hospital. There was a fire." She said softly to Emily, gently stroking her head to help calm her.

"David! Is he alright?" She asked through the mask. "Tell me he's alright."

"I'm here." David said, squeezing her hand.

"She said you saved me. That you'd make sure I was alright."

"Who did?" the nurse asked. She'd seen a lot of things in her career in nursing, but she was definitely confused by this pair.

"Mary: the woman in my dream. She said David would take care of me. He'd protect me like he had her for twenty-five years. She said he was kind and loving and he'd take care of me."

"Oh my god," Anna whispered. The nurse looked up at Anna with a confused look. "Mary was my mom's name. She and dad would have been married twenty-five years yesterday."

"It'll be okay," Emily said, looking over at me. "She said we were meant for each other. I didn't understand it all, but she said something about black lace underwear. She said if I wore them you'd know what it meant. When I moved, I threw out all my underwear except the few pairs of black lace ones I have. I didn't know why. I was angry with them, the underwear. I didn't want them around any more, just the black ones. She said they were your favorite. That if I wore them for you, you'd understand. I'm not sure I understand. What did she mean?"

David nodded. He knew exactly what it meant. It was an invitation that he couldn't refuse, and Mary knew it. He looked over at Emily. "We'll be fine," he said confidently. With more confidence than he'd felt in years. "I think you're going to be looking for a new place to live. If you want, I have room at my house," he said, giving her hand a squeeze.

"I think I'd like that," she agreed, squeezing his hand back, feeling a happiness inside that had been missing since her husband died. Both of them knew then, looking at each other, that they would both be okay.

David looked at his daughter. He knew that Christmas wouldn't be the horrible thing he was afraid it would become. Christmas was a symbol of a beginning. He had a feeling that it would be a new beginning for him as well.

m_storyman_x
m_storyman_x
10,399 Followers