Dear Mother: The Search

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They started going out together, but Mom was very cautious and Frank had to be pretty persistent the way Mom told it. I was having fun listening to them tell the story of how they met and fell in love and then, finally, last year in June, they got married. When Frank and I were alone, he told me that Mom was very nervous about getting married because of what had happened with my Dad. He finally got her to tell him some of what had caused her marriage to break up, but Frank knew there was more too it than that. It wasn't until I showed up that he got the whole story out of her and then I filled in all the missing bits.

Frank had arranged a ticket for me to Portland on the Great Northern and the bus to Corvallis from there. I was to leave on Monday morning, so I had another night and another great time with Mom and Frank. I had quizzed Frank about how I could become a pilot and he said either bring lots of money to get the hours or join the Service and get Uncle Sam to give you the hours. Because I was still in College and getting good grades, I was exempt from the draft, but all that would end when I finished school next year. Frank suggested I go down to the USAF recruiting office and talk to them first about timing and opportunities. Every branch of the service had flying opportunities; including the Coast Guard.

The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of flying boats. I don't exactly know why, but maybe it was the ocean and the ability to land anywhere that made it attractive. Unlike most kids who wanted to be fighter pilots and fly hot jets, I had a more romantic view of flying and I would be happy, I thought, doing what Frank did. Frank kind of kidded me about my 'fairy-tale' view of his occupation, but then he said he knew someone who felt the same way. One of his compatriot transport pilots was Ernest K. Gann, the famous author. I was amazed when Frank told me that Gann sailed the San Juan Islands and was planning to buy a home somewhere nearby. He had talked to him several times and occasionally saw him sailing in the islands on his boat. Frank showed me a collection of his books in his office and handed me one: Fate Is the Hunter. It was brand new and when I opened it, I was stunned to see Mr. Gann's autograph with a "Salute to a fellow Gooney Bird Jockey" inscription.

Frank wanted me to have it but I couldn't accept it. I handed it back saying I'd get it out of the school library and probably some of his other books too. If he was a pilot, then I wanted to know everything he had to say about my new interest. The more I heard about this part of America, the more I wanted to spend time here.

Chapter Eleven: The Big Decision

I headed back to OSU on Monday morning as planned. The Great Northern was on time and I headed to Seattle and then Portland before catching the bus. It was a repeat of three years earlier but somehow the time went more slowly and I found myself lost in my thoughts. I couldn't have been happier finding Mom and especially finding her happily married and to a great guy. She lived in a beautiful home and in a beautiful part of the country and I was envious but also very happy for her. Our parting was a bit tearful but we knew we would be seeing each other again and much more often.

I called Aunt Hilda and let her know everything I had learned and done. She was delighted and I told her she would be hearing from Mom now that she had her address. When I got back to my dorm, there was a note pinned to the door telling me to see Derek in 228 for a message. I put my gear in the room and hung up my coat before heading down the hall and knocking on Derek's door. He was in and scrounged around on his desk until he came up with a torn and tattered piece of paper. He passed it to me and I looked at it trying to decipher the writing.

"What's it say?" I asked.

"Um ... let's see ... um ... somebody called you. Um ... it was a girl. Um ... Polly? ... No."

I cut him off. "Penny?" I exclaimed.

"Yah ... that's it ... I think." Derek looked a bit doubtful but now that he had said her name, I was sure it must have been her. Luckily, the phone number he had written was at least readable. I headed back to my room and closed the door. Zoltan was nowhere to be found so I assumed he was out with Darlene. I sat on my bed and looked at the scribbled note. I tried to figure out where this phone number would take me. I dug in my pocket for some change and luckily I had over a dollar in quarters plus a couple of dimes and nickels.

I headed out into the hallway to the pay phone and picked up the handset. I put a nickel in and dialed O. An operator came on and asked me for the number and I gave it to her. She asked me for 75 cents for three minutes and when I dropped the three quarters, she put the call through. I waited as the phone rang a couple of times before someone answered.

"Mountain View Inn." an older woman's voice announced.

"Uh ... Miss Penny Lane please." I said.

"One moment please." There was a pause and then the woman came back on the line. "I'm sorry sir, that person has checked out."

"When did she leave?" I asked.

"Um ... two days ago." she said

"Ah ... did she leave any forwarding address or a message for a Ron Francis?" I asked hopefully.

"No sir. I'm sorry. She didn't." she answered simply.

"Oh ... OK ... uhm ... where is the Mountain View Inn?" I asked.

"Eugene, Oregon." she answered politely.

"Uh ... OK ... thanks a lot." I said as I slowly hung up.

A mystery. Penny had called but why? When did she call? I opened the door and headed down the hall to Derek's room again.

"Derek, when did this call come in?" I asked in a demanding tone.

"Uh ... like Friday I think ... yah ... Friday." he answered vaguely.

"Was there anything else? Did she say anything else?" I asked again in a demanding voice.

"Uh ... I can't remember anything ... I don't think so." He gave me another of his patented vacant looks. I marveled at how someone with so little appearance of intelligence could get into an accredited University.

I walked slowly back to my room with a bunch of questions rolling around in my head. It was Penny, but why was she calling? Was she in the area and just decided to say hello? Was she trying to establish some contact with me again? She didn't know anything about Liz, so maybe she wanted us to get together again. It didn't look like any of those questions would get answered. I cursed my luck at being out of town just when she called. On the other hand, I wouldn't have missed this past weekend for anything in the world.

The time had come for some big decisions. I knew I wanted to be a pilot and yet I also knew I had to find out what the call from Penny was about. I realized I hadn't forgotten her and my interlude with Liz was just that; a piece of my life, but not a complete piece. I still had feelings for Penny, but I had no idea if she was still single, or, if not, would she even be interested in me again. With the same resolution that I felt about becoming a pilot, I knew I had to find Penny again and resolve that question.

Well, there it is. I've gone and left you hanging again. Will Ron find Penny? Will he get a chance to fly? Stay tuned, fun seekers. It ain't over yet.