Jail Breaking

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My Mom and Doris' mom were virtually inseparable friends. The families in general mixed well and were looking forward to a union of houses. Mom summed up the feelings of the family regarding Doris.

"That's one great girl, Davy. Don't screw it up. We are all looking forward to a wedding."

Mom for all the love she lavished on me as her oldest child sometimes viewed me as being perpetually twelve years old. For my part, I guess I can be rather stubborn and immature at times. When it came to Doris some of that may have been going on. I liked the whole girlfriend thing, but that is exactly where I wanted to keep it, on a free and easy level.

Doris had other ideas about things. She moved in on me in September. I was trying to complete my third and final year of law school without too much hassle, but she insisted we move in together. That strained our finances as I was trying not to be too great a burden on my parents. Doris just let a few hints drop on her mom who increased her allowance. But that seem to give rise to the expectations that this relationship was going someplace serious.

By the beginning of May, things had gone way past expectations into 'what are you waiting for.' Doris had made it plain that I had taken her virginity and that I owed her. Odd since it was her idea, no make that demand, but I could also see it from her point of view. I was about to graduate law school. I would be twenty-five single and the proud possessor of ticket to a professional career. I was a very desirable catch for the many single women out there in the real world beyond the University. She, on the other hand, was just finishing her sophomore year with enough credits to skip a semester, but still well over a year plus from graduation. Moreover, she was an English Lit major in need of a master's to even teach high school. From her point of view, I was leaving her behind with all she had done for me.

The whole situation should have been a kind of warning. Doris saw things from the perspective of what was good for Doris was good for us. The damnable part of it was as selfish as it seems she was right. We were good together what she wanted was almost always better than my goals. With her, I was in some odd unfathomable way complete as a human being. So if she wanted a ring on her finger before I moved out into the wide world why did I hesitate?

I didn't love Doris. There I said it. I was fond of her sure and comfortable with our relationship. She brightened my days and left me in a perpetual oscillation between lust for her body and complete sexual satisfaction. Having Doris in my bed meant no room for any other woman. I know men will tell you that they never see a pretty girl without wondering what she is like in bed. Doris left me unable even to fantasize about another woman. My mind went from the sight of the other woman to an image of Doris that left me fighting back an erection. But marry her and be locked in for the rest of my life to the responsibility for others?

I tried every excuse I could think of to keep Doris and avoid matrimony. My principle excuse was that she was too young only eighteen whereas I was twenty- five in July. It was an excellent reason if not quite the real one, but my mother of all people shot it down.

"Doris is very mature for her age whereas you are the opposite besides that I was a nursing student and only seventeen when I married your father. It's not the age—it's the maturity. She has it and clearly your hesitation, after living together as virtual man and wife, shows you still do not."

My mother wanted me to man up, but I was hesitant and in retrospect prophetic.

"I don't know she is eighteen what happens when she wakes up someday and decides she missed out on her youth getting married too young," I said.

"Sounds to me like it is about your missing out we are talking. You take the professional degree and ride off into the sunset leaving the poor girl behind," Mom said seeing right through me.

In the end Doris had too much influence over me and too many allies for me to hold out, so I swallowed my doubts and tied the knot a week after the bar exam. There was no bachelor party although I hear there was a wild hen party. I had neither enough friends for a party or the time needed. I was studying twenty hours a day to pass the New York Bar, the hardest in the country. Only 41% of Harvard graduates pass and, with the exception of Brooklyn and Albany law which are little more than three- year bar review courses, the average pass rate is 40%. By the time, I found out I passed Doris was three months pregnant.

The pregnancy was theoretically an accident, but if you believe that, you are clearly not too smart. Doris was fortifying her position. We knew it was twins three days before the bar results came out. I sweated those results. I had by then an attorney position with the firm I clerked for that summer that Doris and I got together, but it was only mine if I passed the Bar. My doing so meant a considerable raise, but money would still be tight. I had to work sixty hours plus a week and bust my butt to keep us in Pampers when the babies came.

Doris never let our precarious financial situation or the pregnancy phase her. She completed the last exam of her junior year just an hour before her water broke. Five-hour later without a single groan she gave birth to two six pound two ounce baby girls. They were beautiful, perfect and utterly identical. For me, it was love at first sight. Eighteen years later I still loved those girls but not the same way. Times at first were tough for Doris and I. Money was tight, and we lived in a small apartment. She never complained or made me feel guilty that I could not provide better.

Being a father was an extreme experience. On the one hand, it was terrifying on the other your chest hurts with the love you feel. I will never forget the joy of reading to the girls at bedtime. Make way for Ducklings, The Cat in the Hat, Charlotte's Web and then Little House in the Big Woods, Anne of Green Gables and finally Washington Irving's Sketchbook and Tales of the Alhambra. My two loves who seemed to adore me and believed I could do anything, resolve any problem, fix every broken doll, and make the sun shine every rainy day. It was a lot to live up to, but it brought the great rewards of hugs and kisses.

It was not all hearts and flowers. There were dark days. Doris and I suffered every crisis together. I fell apart when the babies came down with pneumonia and were hospitalized. It was Doris that stayed strong who told me God would not take our girls from us.

"David-- look at me—they are going to get better. Trust in that and that no matter what happens I will always love and support you."

In those early years, Doris was the rock upon which the marriage was built. She was the buttress that supported me. I could not have made it through without her. She had my eternal gratitude, and I wanted to provide for her and our girls. I needed to succeed for them more than for myself. I am a rather lazy and unambitious man. Marring Doris and receiving her love and our children changed all that.

I was determined to be successful for my family along the way I made some compromises to achieve that goal. Those first years were a struggle. My work was incessantly demanding, but the compensation was meager. I had to eat my principles and use my native wits to rise above the pack of legal wolves that were all pursuing the same prey.

On the home front Doris and little Patricia and Elizabeth (Pat and Beth) made every sacrifice worthwhile. Doris finished school nights leaving me at home doing office work and minding the babies. I could not have been happier. Eventually about the time they started nursery school she had her doctorate. Doris Boswell, Ph.D. started teaching at the community college, but within three years was a full professor of Shakespearian studies at the University. Her income was a god sent grace, but by then it was too late for me I had already become a partner through less than honorable means. My income was as high as my morality was low. Well, I had a family to take care of, and I was a lawyer and, therefore, able to rationalize the sale of my soul.

_______________________________________

I promised a discussion of Eminent Domain and now is a good time. Most Americans have an unshakable belief in the sanctity of private property. They see homeownership as a goal and a right. The idea that the government could come and arbitrarily take away their home is unbelievable, and that is where eminent domain comes in.

When the government needs property for a public purpose say for a highway, bridge, school, or hospital, it goes through a process commonly call condemnation. It is just the government taking the property it needs for the public purpose and paying the owner the value of the property taken. Simply said and in theory regrettable but necessary. We lawyers call this process Eminent Domain from the Latin: Supreme Lordship a fancy way of saying the State has the right to take your land.

In theory, they have to pay you the value of what it is worth, but if you are stupid enough to depend on the government to treat you fairly, then you deserve to be taken. This is where we lawyers come in. Eminent Domain is a complex system with a set of pre-determined steps. A good, experienced lawyer is able to play those steps to get you the most money. Nobody ever regretted getting a good lawyer to represent them in an Eminent Domain proceeding. Trouble is most people don't get represented, or they get inexperienced counsel. So the key to success as an Eminent Domain Lawyer is to get your name and your pitch (namely a lot more money) before the prospective clients.

My success I owe to my fortuitous last name because when seated in law school Landon came right before Landrew. The alphabet placed me seated for three years right next to James (call me Jimmy) Landrew, Young Republican, State Republican Committeeman and when he graduated legal intern at the New York State Senate. He eventually rose to be assistant counsel and then counsel to the Legislative Committee on Corporations and Associations. It was a big break for me. Jimmy and I were tight so who would he come to if he were in trouble, but his friend.

Now you are totally confused because what would Jimmy have to do with my success. Well, it was that Committee on Corporations that is significant because it passes on all eminent domain matters. Why would that be useful? That answer is simple because however eminent domain started it was now a great way for the powerful to rip off the weak. The taking of property for actual public use is now a small fraction of the taking of property by the state, most of the time the state is acting on behalf of some private interest. The terms used differ, but it is most commonly referred to as some form of 'redevelopment.' Don't believe me, well next time you are in New York City take a look at the headquarters of the New York Times newspaper, it a beautiful majestic skyscraper off Time Square. The land it stands on was taken by eminent domain, some of the most valuable real estate in the world in a sweetheart deal that allegedly saved the Times almost eighty million dollars. Needless to say, the newspaper did not point this out to its readers.

My job is to get people justice as best I can. I will use every trick I can. Outside appraisers who will say anything I ask and the appraisers for the State who sometimes work for me. I pay my appraisers well, thus assuring my clients exceptionally fair treatment. The strategy is to get to the soon to be ripped off before anyone else that is where my friend Jimmy comes in. It started pretty innocent a vague heads up to look out for a big taking of property along the Hudson that cleared the way for a high-end development, but soon became pay for play. Jimmy has a problem with horses, also slot machines, and Indian casinos. He often needs money. Not gifts just loans that are never repaid.

The partners in my firm were amazed at my ability to spot new potential business. My acute perception was well rewarded and for years that is the way it stood. Nothing very illegal just a little advance knowledge and some work on my part beating down the doors of people who would be a lot better off for having me as their attorney. It was actually a public service, but if you walk the line, it is easy to slip over. More on that later for now back to my wife's phone.

I had loaded my vicious program onto Doris' phone. It was designed to make an audio file of every phone conversation my wife had and install same on my iPad. It sent every text message she sent or received to my phone. But it also gave me the power when I wanted to listen in on her conversations. I could do this in real time or set the bug that her phone had become to record for up to two hours and send same to my iPad. In theory, Doris could say or hear nothing that I could not share. The practice was somewhat different.

My wife spent almost five hours the first day on her phone. It would be a herculean job just to scan through her phone conversations. She spent forty-five minutes with a girlfriend doing nothing but talking about a dress she saw at the mall, but didn't buy. For three weeks I waded through this drivel, and I fancied I had become quite good at it. I became convinced that I was suffering a bad case of paranoia. I was ready to call it quits when the damn texts came.

I was at a meeting with a new client when my phone chimed with the distinctive ring that said I had a new text. I ignored it, but a few minutes later there was another chime followed by a third. I rarely send or receive texts, and Doris was the same, a matter of age I would say. Texts are not part of my generational DNA. When I finished my client conference, I checked my phone three new texts were transferred from the spyware on Doris' phone.

"remMbR we R havN lch 2day. Mark"

"Can't W8 missing U so much whr & when? UR D"

"Cooper @ 12:30. luv U"

It took me a while to figure out Doris had a lunch date with someone named Mark who she was missing and who said he loved her. The restaurant was easy Cooper's was a small very intimate dining place north of the traffic circle and, therefore, quite out of the way, exactly where you would pick for a private rendezvous. It was after twelve. I had no way to get there that fast, but I had an ace up my sleeve I could listen in. I set the bug on her phone to active and used my iPad to listen and casually got in my car.

At first all I got was driving noise. Doris was in her car. When she arrived, I heard the faint sounds of the restaurant and her being greeted by the hostess.

"Good day, can I help you," said a sweet female voice.

"I'm meeting someone—oh there he is."

Then the sound of them coming together in what might have been a hug and then maybe a kiss?

Doris was seated, and they exchanged greetings. They talked a moment about work. Apparently they worked at the University together. He sounded young, strong, and very confident. He soon turned the conversation to her. Compliments flowed about her hair, dress and general overwhelming beauty and youthfulness. I was listening to a seduction. It would have been interesting if it had not been my wife.

When the food came the conversation turn to me how old and fat, I am, how gray and boring. A cold fish who doesn't deserve a beautiful, vibrant younger woman, and finally his needs how much he wanted her and how happy they could be.

"But I can't I'm married. I intend to grow old with David. Please understand."

"Don't you see he is already old? You're still young, live while you can. If you can't leave him then we'll be discrete."

"No, I won't cheat, I have never been with anyone but my David. I love my husband. Yet, I want you and need you to be complete. I need to make David see that. There must be a way. Just give me time for everyone's sake."

"Please I have waited so long already."

"I know but I need time."

"Ok, but please not much longer."

The topic turned back to mundane things as I arrived in Cooper's parking lot. I took a position far back in the lot and out of sight of what I recognized as my wife's car, but still having a view of the door.

At some point, they returned to the conversation of how they needed to be together and how Doris would try to find a way that would not risk her marriage for after all

"I still love Dave. We have been together so long. I owe it to him to try to keep this together."

"That is why I love you so. You have such deep feelings. I just have to show you that pity is not love," he said, the overblown asshole.

As they exited, they came into my view. Doris I noticed was dressed to kill I would swear that was not how she left the house that morning. He was tall maybe six foot three or four slim and athletic looking. He was black not very dark skinned more dark coffee in his appearance but black. Was he handsome? I guess that is a matter of preference, but he was young maybe thirty at the most. As they parted they kissed. He hugged her close and made it deep until she finally managed to pull away.

I was not as jealous as I would have imagined. I wanted to kill him of course to beat him to a pulp. I would need some leverage to accomplish that. Say a baseball bat and a little surprise. Not fair, but then there is nothing fair about seducing another man's wife. I was not deceived. He only wanted into her pants nothing more. All the love crap was just that. He was a smooth operator he would use her until he tired of her and move on. Somehow I suspected that this would not entirely be a surprise to Doris, she is a smart woman. My wife was playing a dangerous game not with her lover, but with me. Could she believe that I would tolerate this?

Doris and I have what would be described as a typical American marriage. Maybe five percent of American men are the lords of their domain. They rule their homes. The other 95% of us have to settle. In my case I settled a lot. I have never won a fight with Doris. Even when I appeared to win a round, and she seemed contrite and apologetic the reality was she would eventually have her way. She knew this from the beginning of course, but I had to learn it.

In the bedroom like most men, I got what my wife wanted to give me. Sex was on her terms. Those terms were consistent with what should be expected of a good wife and mother. Doris loved sex, but that did not stop her over the years from setting limits. We did it the way Doris wanted that was the right way. If she got the better end, more oral stimulation, more time pleasing her, and less you; it was solely because that was the better way. However, this is an unfair viewpoint. Doris in our early years together was a sexual dynamo keeping up took effort. I never lacked for sex. I could not say that I wanted it and was not getting it. When she began to slow down, it was a bit of a relief.

Doris has a way of seeing her wants as our needs. She gets her way through attrition. She wears you down. She is, however, a great wife and a better mother. For all of our marriage, she either was in school or working full time, but she cooked and cleaned and ran the house. I shared, but Doris did the lioness share. She ran things, and if she also manipulated me, it was because as she saw it that was a necessity. I only resented her machinations the few times I notice how much she enjoyed managing me. Any married man who is honest and perceptive will admit that his wife loves to manipulate him, it must be an elemental part of being female.

But Mark was a different entity. I knew his attraction. He was new, different, and forbidden. He was irresistible to a woman like Doris. For him, she could play the bad girl. He was the freedom to step outside a life that had become predictable and less fulfilling. He offered an alternative to the empty nest and the old tired husband. The fact that he was black was exciting. The sex would be enhanced by the newness and the differences. It wouldn't last, but it was not meant to. Mark was just the first man outside our marriage not the last.