Peace of Mind

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As the applause died down, Grace went on, "I've been talking with the cast and we are going to keep performing the play Saturday nights," she said.

Landon excused himself and left the stage. He was on the way out when Marcus stopped him and shook his hand. "I didn't think it was possible," he said. "You gave this old man life again. I want to write a book with your help. A commented edition of Fergus journals. I want you to work with me."

Marcus sensed Landon's hesitation and added, "I won't take 'no' for an answer."

The dinner at Marcus' mansion was not what Landon thought it would be. He had expected a formal event and had not looked forward to it.

There wasn't champagne, but there was wine and beer. The menu included a large roast and roasted potatoes and grilled vegetables. But it wasn't the food that set the mood, it was Marcus himself.

He welcomed the whole cast with enthusiasm, thanking them for coming and congratulated them for what they had accomplished in the past weeks.

When the dinner was over, Marcus stood up and tapped his glass. Silence ensued and all heads turned toward him. "It's hard for me to admit it, but I was wrong," he said. "I was wrong in trying to keep Middletown as it was. Fergus didn't do that. He invited people to his settlement. He married a Native American and he was one of the first to call for statehood. He didn't fear change. He welcomed it."

He turned to Landon and raised his glass. "It took a brave young man to open my eyes. I want to make a toast to the person who renewed the spirit of Middletown, and brought new life to this town, to Landon Petersen."

"Hear! Hear!"

The people in the large dining room exploded with applause.

Landon felt his face grow hot and red.

"It was a community effort," he protested. "And Grace did much more than I did."

"This young man invaded my office," Marcus continued, ignoring Landon's protests, "and very nicely bullied me and encouraged me to do what I always wanted to do even when I didn't know it. Somehow he stirred this entire town to work together for a common goal. Nothing of this would have happened if Mr. Petersen hadn't come to Middletown, and I, for one, am grateful."

Everyone but Landon applauded. His face just went rosier.

"So I wanted to do something for Middletown. I want to keep Mr. Petersen here. The Mayor and I joined forces, and we want to offer him a job as curator of our brand new museum. The job comes with the cabin he is already living in. I wonder if he will accept."

Landon looked around, saw the smiling faces around, and realized everyone else had known what was coming. He was speechless. He was a soldier with PTSD.

Grace was beaming at him.

At the same time, he started thinking of what he could do, the opportunities to build something. The museum was certainly a challenge. He'd always liked challenges.

"We won't put him on the spot," Marcus continued. "But the job is his if he chooses to take it."

Everyone's eyes were fixed on Landon.

Warmth filled him. He liked Middletown. He liked it very much.

He had made the decision the minute Marcus mentioned the job. He wanted to stay here with people he liked and who liked him and thought him worthy. He loved his own personal mountain and the people who had made the impossible possible.

But, above all, he wanted to stay in Middletown with Grace. The love of his life. The woman who had rescued him from the darkness.

He cleared his throat and said, "I don't know what I did to deserve this, but I'll take it."

EPILOGUE

Later that night, Grace drove Landon home. He was still in a state of shock.

Grace walked him to the door.

"What are you thinking?" she asked.

"I'm still too numb to think anything."

"It was Marcus's initiative," Grace said. "He really likes you. He started talking with the mayor again because of you. I think Marcus sees in you the son he never had."

"You knew," he accused her.

"I did, but just until today. They wanted my input. After all, I'm your girlfriend."

"I still can't get used to it."

Grace squinted her eyes, "You better do, or PTSD will be the least of your problems."

"Yes, Ma'am. Would you like to come in?" Landon asked her.

"I thought you'd never ask. We have a lot to celebrate."

Scout barked then wriggled all over

"I have a call to make first," Landon said. "Then, I'm all yours."

Landon dialed his mother's number. "Mom, it's me," he said when the phone was answered. "I got a job here. A great job, and I want you and my sister to visit me. Maybe even, well... move here. Middletown is welcoming new people... Yes, Mom. I'm better. Treatment works..." he took a look at Grace and added, "One more thing, I got a girlfriend.... I can't wait for you to know her... She's amazing. Her name is Grace... Thank you, Mom. I'll send you the bus tickets... Love you too. Bye."

Landon ended the call, yanked Grace into his arms and kissed her. He thought of their first kiss and of every kiss since. He wanted to spend a lifetime in her arms, showing her exactly how he felt without words. Landon poured everything he felt into the embrace.

He remembered her flavor in the darkness, how she smelled in the light. He heard the sounds of her laughter, her tenderness when he needed to be calmed down, her enthusiasm while they worked in the play together. Though her body was soft, her will was strong. She was everything he'd ever searched for, and he was never going to let her go.

Landon looked into her eyes.

"I know I'm not an easy person to love. I'm finding my way to mental health. I'm not there yet, but I have a support network of people, a team..." he smiled at her, "...who care for me and accept me for who I am. The scars are there, but not all scars are dark, some are silver, and they give me the courage to hope again. Maybe someday..."

Grace looked into those warm eyes and she understood exactly what he was saying.

She took his hand and led him into the bedroom.

She knew someday wasn't far away...

THE END

***

Writing this story helped me through some difficult times in my life. Middletown is my happy place to go when times get rough. I write mainly for myself, but I hope you enjoy this story too. While I was writing this story, I was listening to The Petersens, a bluegrass family of talented musicians. Check them out on YouTube or Spotify. Their version of "Take Me Home, Country Roads" warms my heart every time I listen to it.

1...67891011